Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305444 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #455 on: March 30, 2017, 04:18:59 AM »
this might be the case, for some reason i prefer to hear the hi-hats sounds in the section. and also mentioned in the comments section about the deccabons:

What exactly are you saying about how Mangini played the toms and octobans? Look at these footages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyo0dQegGW8

He can do that with ease if he wants to.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #456 on: April 01, 2017, 12:22:58 PM »
I think that's maybe a criticism you can levy against DT overall. MM might be the first DT member who consciously tries to lock in with another instrument. I feel usually each instrument just does its own thing. KM even commented on that in an interview a few years ago.

Interesting point. I've certainly overlooked that much of the time.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #457 on: April 02, 2017, 12:15:33 AM »
this might be the case, for some reason i prefer to hear the hi-hats sounds in the section. and also mentioned in the comments section about the deccabons:

What exactly are you saying about how Mangini played the toms and octobans? Look at these footages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyo0dQegGW8

He can do that with ease if he wants to.

Holy crap!  Not only is Mike in top form, but the whole band is.  That might be my personal favorite version of Constant Motion.  I don't think they've played that in America since Portnoy was in the band, right? Man, they need to bring it back. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #458 on: April 02, 2017, 12:36:05 AM »
I think that's maybe a criticism you can levy against DT overall. MM might be the first DT member who consciously tries to lock in with another instrument. I feel usually each instrument just does its own thing. KM even commented on that in an interview a few years ago.

Interesting point. I've certainly overlooked that much of the time.

MP has said numerous times that he has locked in with other instruments during a live show. I think he said it a couple of times during DVD commentaries.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #459 on: April 02, 2017, 12:39:00 AM »
But not bass. I think he said he doesn't have the bass in his personal mix.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #460 on: April 02, 2017, 12:49:23 AM »
I know he said JP for sure.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #461 on: April 02, 2017, 11:14:55 AM »
Yeah, MP made several comments in interviews and commentaries that his in ear mix with DT was pretty much mostly JP, with a lot of his (MPs) vocals, and a little JR, JM, and James basically as guides.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #462 on: April 05, 2017, 12:48:39 PM »
Interesting.  That somewhat seems counterintuitive at first blush, but makes sense when you think about it.  Drums typically accent what is going on with the lead instruments and vocals, so the drummer needs to be able to hear and follow what they are doing.  Bass typically locks in with and accents drums, not vice versa, so the drummer doesn't necessarily really need to hear what the bass is doing for the most part. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #463 on: April 05, 2017, 01:18:19 PM »
I can't say I can follow the above argument. I have *never* heard of a drummer who didn't care about hearing the bass. The two are after all the "rhythm section" of the band, the "pocket" as JM put it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #464 on: April 05, 2017, 01:25:03 PM »
I can't say I can follow the above argument. I have *never* heard of a drummer who didn't care about hearing the bass. The two are after all the "rhythm section" of the band, the "pocket" as JM put it.
That is true.  But the bass generally follows the drums.  The drums do not usually follow the bass.  So the bassist definitely needs to have the drums high in her personal mix to follow them, but the drummer does not necessarily need to have the bass.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #465 on: April 05, 2017, 01:27:21 PM »
Well, I'm sure MP could hear JM in his ears, it's just a matter of how loud. His comments always seemed to imply JP's guitar was louder than JM's bass.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #466 on: April 05, 2017, 01:44:49 PM »

The drums do not need to follow the bass, necessarily. The drums are usually the 'boss' so to speak, in a band and thus they make the rhythm, not follow the rest of the band. In a live setting the bass guitar is also not a convenient instrument to listen to when trying to follow the song (low frequencies aren't easy to follow, especially in a live setting) which is why the guitars on the monitors might be preferred. Contrary to what you are writing, I know more drummers that prefer to hear guitars, than those who to have bass on the monitors, including the drummer in my band.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #467 on: April 05, 2017, 02:41:24 PM »
When I played drums, I always wanted to hear what my bass player was doing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: April 05, 2017, 02:43:33 PM »
When I played drums, I always wanted to hear what my bass player was doing.

Kotow's songs were really technical and sometimes I even had to count in my head some parts as we were doing two time signatures at once...

Hearing the bass was crucial !

We had a rule of No 4/4 *unless* the riff sounded catchier in 4/4

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #469 on: April 05, 2017, 02:44:15 PM »
You can always tell when a drummer and bass player don't feed off each other.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #470 on: April 05, 2017, 02:49:49 PM »
You can actually feel JM's enthusiasm for playing with MM.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: April 05, 2017, 03:12:18 PM »

And Myung has been a lot more communicative since MP quit.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #472 on: April 05, 2017, 03:26:27 PM »
I guess it depends on the type of music you play.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: April 05, 2017, 03:33:08 PM »
I guess if the AC/DC drummer listened to a lot of Cliff Williams - he'd fall asleep. :p

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #474 on: April 05, 2017, 05:11:45 PM »
I wonder if this supergroup is a manifestation of this sentiment that Mike aired in an interview last year:

https://noisefull.com/interviews/mike-portnoy

"Well, the only thing I miss (about being in Dream Theater), to be honest, is being the captain of a ship. Because after I left Dream Theater - all of the things I’ve done after Dream Theater that I just mentioned, in all of those cases - I’ve never been the clear leader. Everything I’ve done like Flying Colors, The Winery Dogs, they’re more collaborative roles and to be honest I do miss the amount of control that I had in Dream Theater. I was able to make 90% of the decisions and direction in Dream Theater on my own and didn’t really discuss everything and those guys kind of trusted me with that. So, I do kind of miss that.

One of the things about being in a band is that sometimes the collaborative process can be great, but it’s also incredibly frustrating at times. Having to go through a hundred emails on every single decision sometimes, you pull your hair out of your head and I miss the days that I had in Dream Theater, where I ran the show. But honestly it’s okay, because that was then and this is now."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #475 on: April 05, 2017, 09:18:47 PM »

And Myung has been a lot more communicative since MP quit.

Yes. He improved it to, "I'm feeling VERY spooky."

That is true.  But the bass generally follows the drums.  The drums do not usually follow the bass.  So the bassist definitely needs to have the drums high in her personal mix to follow them, but the drummer does not necessarily need to have the bass.

Generally, yes. But not many bassists, like Myung, will sometimes double the lead. I thought I read/heard that MP used to follow JP more than the bass and JM followed JR more. I could be imagining it but I'm pretty sure that was said at some point. Obviously it's not MP anymore but it's something to think about. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #476 on: April 06, 2017, 08:14:21 AM »
MY OPINOIN ONLY:   You can teach people to play bass (Fripp famously taught Boz Burrell to play because he needed a bass player as well as a singer; Sid Vicious), but I have an adage:

There are no "great" bands that don't have a "great" drummer.   A drummer can make a good band great, but a band can't make a good drummer great. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #477 on: April 06, 2017, 08:14:53 AM »
Generally, yes. But not many bassists, like Myung, will sometimes double the lead. I thought I read/heard that MP used to follow JP more than the bass and JM followed JR more. I could be imagining it but I'm pretty sure that was said at some point. Obviously it's not MP anymore but it's something to think about. 

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me.  Again, to me, it makes perfect sense.  Having your own personal mix how you want it onstage is such an individual thing.  The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me that a lot of drummers would want the bass pretty low in their own mix.  As a singer who drums a little, I think about my own, and how different they would be in each of those roles.  As a singer, I want primarily guitar and vocals.  If I can't hear what the primary instrument, the guitar is doing, I can't necessarily tell where we are in the song and can't tell if I am in key.  I also need to hear myself clearly so I know if I am in key and so that I don't unconsciously push too hard by thinking I am low in the mix, and thereby tiring my voice out.  Drums come next, but lower in the mix.  As a drummer, I want the lead instruments front and center.  I am laying down the beat, so they mostly follow me.  But I need to know when and how to accent in order to drive the songs, and I can't do that unless I can hear the leads.  Hearing the bass too high in the mix is not only unnecessary, but would be detrimental if it interferes with me more easily picking out the leads.  Again, others may feel differently, but that's my preference.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: April 06, 2017, 08:20:27 AM »
Sounds like Billy Sheehan might be the bassist for Portnoy's new progressive metal supergroup, according to Richie Kotzen.  So that means we could have four band members identified: Portnoy, Sherinian, Bumblefoot and Sheehan.

Link: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/richie-kotzen-on-the-winery-dogs-future-i-dont-foresee-anything-happening-for-a-couple-of-years/

"For me, it's time to come home and do what I've always done. I have been making Richie Kotzen records since I was 18; it's a source of survival, sanity, art, and everything you want to call it. I know the other guys have something very exciting in the works which people will love. It may fill a WINERY DOGS void."
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:50:41 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: April 06, 2017, 08:27:21 AM »
I certainly didn't get the same response while reading that article.  Sad the Winery Dogs are going on hiatus.  I mean, I assumed they would due to other projects but definitely didn't want a multiple year break.  Cool they have a blu ray coming out though  :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: April 06, 2017, 08:29:13 AM »
Sounds like Billy Sheehan might be the bassist for Portnoy's new progressive metal supergroup, according to Richie Kotzen.  So that means we could have four band members identified: Portnoy, Sherinian, Bumblefoot and Sheehan.

Link: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/richie-kotzen-on-the-winery-dogs-future-i-dont-foresee-anything-happening-for-a-couple-of-years/

"For me, it's time to come home and do what I've always done. I have been making Richie Kotzen records since I was 18; it's a source of survival, sanity, art, and everything you want to call it. I know the other guys have something very exciting in the works which people will love. It may fill a WINERY DOGS void."

I didn't at ALL get that.   Portnoy has his things but Billy Sheehan is reportedly doing a new Mr. Big record.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #481 on: April 06, 2017, 08:34:32 AM »
That's how I read it as well Stads. I'd be really surprised if Billy is in the new band.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: April 06, 2017, 08:57:50 AM »
That's how I read it as well Stads. I'd be really surprised if Billy is in the new band.

It actually sounded like Billy was upset WD are taking a break.  He says he believes in being a band, not a project.  That makes me think he is less likely to be apart of this new supergroup because I feel it's more likely to end up as a project than an ongoing band.  Just my feeling on this since it is being labelled a supergroup.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: April 06, 2017, 09:50:07 AM »
To me, Kotzen made it sound like Portnoy and Sheehan were working on a project together that "people will love."  Could be separate projects, but the way he worded it it sounded like the same project.  Guess we'll see eventually, lol.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: April 06, 2017, 10:01:30 AM »
To me, Kotzen made it sound like Portnoy and Sheehan were working on a project together that "people will love."  Could be separate projects, but the way he worded it it sounded like the same project.  Guess we'll see eventually, lol.

Hey, not at all saying you're wrong, just that I read it a different way.  And you're 100% right with that last point: we'll find out, won't we!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #485 on: April 06, 2017, 10:06:48 AM »

Hey, not at all saying you're wrong, just that I read it a different way.  And you're 100% right with that last point: we'll find out, won't we!

You will......WHEN HE DECIDES IT'S THE RIGHT GOD DAMN TIME!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: April 21, 2017, 10:51:52 PM »
The group has been booked for Cruise to the edge 2018

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1512683518755499&substory_index=0&id=490557914301403

One final special announcement!
Please welcome Mike Portnoy and Derek Sherinian and their new super group to Cruise to the Edge 2018!
 More details coming soon!
cruisetotheedge.com
#CruiseToTheEdge #CTTE #Prog #Tampa #MikePortnoy #DerekSherinian #FiveDays #GetOnboard YES (official)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #487 on: April 21, 2017, 10:57:09 PM »
I am not surprised :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #488 on: April 22, 2017, 05:14:24 AM »

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1512683518755499&substory_index=0&id=490557914301403

Please welcome Mike Portnoy and Derek Sherinian and their new super group to Cruise to the Edge 2018!
cruisetotheedge.com
#CruiseToTheEdge #CTTE #Prog #Tampa #MikePortnoy #DerekSherinian #FiveDays #GetOnboard YES (official)

Of course they are. And the organisation hasn't heard a note of what they're playing, I presume. Wow.
Squ

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #489 on: April 23, 2017, 12:57:56 PM »

cruisetotheedge.com

Of course they are. And the organisation hasn't heard a note of what they're playing, I presume. Wow.

So far on cruises MP has brought PSMS, the Yes encore with Jon Anderson, Neal Morse x 2, his two birthday bash sets, and the Chris Squire Tribute. I'm guessing they know they can trust him to pull something off.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1