Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305514 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #420 on: March 23, 2017, 11:01:25 AM »
He should just release everything at once when it's all confirmed and settled for sure.  Puzzles aren't any fun when someone gets upset when pieces of the puzzle get solved.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: March 23, 2017, 11:16:04 AM »
He should just release everything at once when it's all confirmed and settled for sure.  Puzzles aren't any fun when someone gets upset when pieces of the puzzle get solved.

How did DT react when someone figured out part of False Awakening from the short studio clip ?

Pretty sure - if memory serves - that JR or JP said it was " pretty cool " that someone was able to figure it out from a quick screen grab of some MIDI.

It was either that or they didn't mention it at all. Both of which would be classier than whatever MP is trying to achieve.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: March 23, 2017, 12:37:48 PM »

How did DT react when someone figured out part of False Awakening from the short studio clip ?

Pretty sure - if memory serves - that JR or JP said it was " pretty cool " that someone was able to figure it out from a quick screen grab of some MIDI.

It was either that or they didn't mention it at all. Both of which would be classier than whatever MP is trying to achieve.

Or when people started to find the artist who did Astonishing images... they did not "attack" fans for finding out too much as I recall

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: March 23, 2017, 12:40:38 PM »
And when the tour poster was found saying

The Astonishing

DREAM THEATER

Long before the album title was announced....Nothing.

And when a band was in the same studio as Noel Gallagher recording his secret first album - they tweeted about it.

Noel didn't say a thing. He didn't confirm or deny it. He ignored it and got on with it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #424 on: March 23, 2017, 01:26:13 PM »
Like...we all already know who the guitarist is, and unless we are all wrong and it doesn't turn out to be him, only THEN can we be truly surprised.
Technically, we don't know that Bumblefoot will be in the band.  He could have just been in the area and came over to jam.

He could have been auditioning for a spot in the band (and not gotten it).

He may not be THE guitarist, but just recording a solo for one song (i.e., not a member of the band, but doing a guest spot).

It could be any of those, or something else entirely.  So I totally get why MP was pissed that it got out. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: March 23, 2017, 01:40:14 PM »
To me if he just came over for a jam - it makes NO Sense that MP would be so mad.

If it's NOT him just say something like " Oops ! Someone jumped the gun in the studio ! Were we in the same studio and were jamming ? Is he doing a guest spot ?

you'll just have to wait and find out !! "

Not bite fans heads off when they did precisely 0 for the actual info getting out....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #426 on: March 23, 2017, 02:22:36 PM »
I thought it might be a variation on what Hef said; that maybe somehow the leak made Mike look bad to Bumblefoot for some reason, or created some legal/licensing headache.   Not as if this is the first time Mike's done this, though, so that can't be all of it. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #427 on: March 23, 2017, 02:52:17 PM »

You don't book the studio for a whole week, go through the process of perfectly miking the whole kit (the pics he posted of his kit look it's a recording setup, not just a live setup), setup Derek's 12235245603526894173 keyboards, etc. for just an auditio. He clearly is working with the band either as the main guitarist or, as you also said, as a special guest or something similar, but still that doesn't justify MP's reaction at all.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: March 23, 2017, 03:09:06 PM »
I thought it might be a variation on what Hef said; that maybe somehow the leak made Mike look bad to Bumblefoot for some reason, or created some legal/licensing headache.   Not as if this is the first time Mike's done this, though, so that can't be all of it.

Maybe true

Like...we all already know who the guitarist is, and unless we are all wrong and it doesn't turn out to be him, only THEN can we be truly surprised.
Technically, we don't know that Bumblefoot will be in the band.  He could have just been in the area and came over to jam.

He may not be THE guitarist, but just recording a solo for one song (i.e., not a member of the band, but doing a guest spot).

It could be any of those, or something else entirely.  So I totally get why MP was pissed that it got out. 

Also maybe true.

But the problem for me is, none of that is likely true given the initial tweet/social media post by MP.  You don't announce a new super group if the "super" part isn't in place yet.  You also, typically, don't get a recording studio if the band is not ready yet.  (Some bigger bands can likely do this with a bigger budget).

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #429 on: March 23, 2017, 06:09:01 PM »

It's OK for him to get pissed. I just wish he did not take it out on the fans.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #430 on: March 23, 2017, 06:46:34 PM »

Exactly and that's the problem I have. Someone in the studio posted a video that Mike didn't want posted and then when his fans comment on it and post about it, he gets pissed at them. Then you have a guy (moog) post a message praising Mike and saying how fans disrespected Mike and Mike responds by saying "moog gets it" and then threatens his fans that he won't put up with it and will "shut that shit down" which is eventually what happened. I've been a HUGE supporter of Mike for the past 23 years and when I saw his Facebook post teasing this band initially I was so excited as I've been waiting for him to do this since he left DT. I have to say though my excitement has diminished a bit given all that's happened.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #431 on: March 24, 2017, 05:21:35 AM »
So I had this thought while at work yesterday - whenever Mike (because he'll be the first one to announce it) reveals who is in the band other than Derek, how does he expect this fans (that have been following this so far) to react? With fake surprise, or blind adoration? Like...we all already know who the guitarist is, and unless we are all wrong and it doesn't turn out to be him, only THEN can we be truly surprised. If it turns out that it was Bumblefoot all along, then most of us will probably react with "Well, see, there ya go...told ya so" feelings, and I can guarantee that will illicit some sort of reaction from Mike (probably mass post deletions on Facebook posts).

If he's smart, whenever another announcement is made, it should just be the guitarist so we get that out of the way. If he saves that announcement for last, it'll be a horrible anti-climax, especially since we don't have any idea who the bassist or vocalist may be. Announce the guitarist next, then the bassist, and end on a high note with the vocalist and band name. I think that might have the best possible reaction, going in that order, and depending on who the vocalist is, maybe by then, we may have all gotten over this whole thing with video-leaks and MP-control and what not.

-Marc.

Personally I do not care about announcements and staff! All I care about is the outcome, meaning the music itself.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #432 on: March 24, 2017, 11:01:26 AM »

Oh, sure.  I am not in any way defending his PUBLIC reaction.  That was as bad as always.

I was just commenting on M's suggestion that we already know who the guitarist is.  Well, not necessarily.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #433 on: March 24, 2017, 11:52:56 AM »

So I had this thought while at work yesterday - whenever Mike (because he'll be the first one to announce it) reveals who is in the band other than Derek, how does he expect this fans (that have been following this so far) to react? With fake surprise, or blind adoration? Like...we all already know who the guitarist is, and unless we are all wrong and it doesn't turn out to be him, only THEN can we be truly surprised. If it turns out that it was Bumblefoot all along, then most of us will probably react with "Well, see, there ya go...told ya so" feelings, and I can guarantee that will illicit some sort of reaction from Mike (probably mass post deletions on Facebook posts).

If he's smart, whenever another announcement is made, it should just be the guitarist so we get that out of the way. If he saves that announcement for last, it'll be a horrible anti-climax, especially since we don't have any idea who the bassist or vocalist may be. Announce the guitarist next, then the bassist, and end on a high note with the vocalist and band name. I think that might have the best possible reaction, going in that order, and depending on who the vocalist is, maybe by then, we may have all gotten over this whole thing with video-leaks and MP-control and what not.

-Marc.

I'd agree with all that. However, it could be possible that if MP sees this as a long term, permanent band, he's also knee deep in making sure the band gels, and everyone is on the same page. And then once they do (and if they do), then signing contracts and getting legalities out of the way (I am sure after his DT experience, he is probably making sure things are clearly spelled out). Just because he has people in mind, and they worked together for a week or so, doesn't mean everything is GO yet, or even that they HAVE "A" singer. They might just be jamming, to see how it goes, record some demos, and then bring in a few singers later on, and see how everyone fits together in the same room, and hanging out.

If this IS a permanent thing, he's smart to take his time about the whole thing, and like he said, get it all set up, and once the i's are dotted and t's are crossed, if it is a BIG announcement (in terms of the singer), the label involved obviously would want to put together a sizeable marketing campaign.

So there could be a lot of factors in play. Bumblefoot potentially being the guitarist (or ONE OF the guitarists) is out there, and it obviously was a "leak" from MP's perspective. But again, perhaps MP doesn't know yet how the band is going to shape up other than him and Derek. And if that's true, I get why HE just wants to be the guy teasing things, and doesn't want things to get out of control.

Is he going about it the wrong way? In my opinion, yes. But I also do understand that there may be other reasons why he is trying to control the situation. Things may be really fluid right now, and he might not want to reveal too many people and details and then change them later (which he'd get crucified for, I'm sure).

So yes, MP could handle this better. BUT, I am sure there is a LOT more behind the scenes going on, and a lot of that is probably contributing to a lot of the secrecy.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #434 on: March 24, 2017, 01:58:33 PM »
What better way for a band to gel than watching him blow up on Twitter!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #435 on: March 24, 2017, 03:17:43 PM »
What better way for a band to gel than watching him blow up on Twitter!

The other thing I realized -- IF Bumble is in the band, he has another band that is going to tour extensively soon -- Art of Anarchy, who released its first album with Scott Stapp today. So MP might also have been trying not to steal his potential bandmate's spotlight or take away from their album launch with rumors about him being in MP's band.

I just ordered the record today, and I forgot Bumble was in that band (I really liked their record with Scott Weiland, and I think Stapp will do a fine job).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #436 on: March 24, 2017, 05:39:44 PM »
The other thing I realized -- IF Bumble is in the band, he has another band that is going to tour extensively soon -- Art of Anarchy, who released its first album with Scott Stapp today. So MP might also have been trying not to steal his potential bandmate's spotlight or take away from their album launch with rumors about him being in MP's band.

Good point.  In a speculation perspective, best for MP to learn from that after his tenure with A7X since that kinda coincided with him leaving DT and I'm sure people, at the time, was pointing the fingers at A7X as the main reason why he left DT and A7X, reasonably so, didn't want to deal with that kind of drama as it was affecting what was really important which was the music and their latest album at the time, Nightmare, which was a very important album to them in all fronts (commercially, personally, etc.).

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #437 on: March 24, 2017, 09:59:55 PM »
I know the earlier Photoshop was mostly done in jest, but there definitely is a similarity in character between those two. Whenever things don't go according to plan, a scapegoat needs to be found and publicly slaughtered.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline clinks63

« Reply #438 on: March 24, 2017, 11:43:25 PM »
I think that's maybe a criticism you can levy against DT overall. MM might be the first DT member who consciously tries to lock in with another instrument. I feel usually each instrument just does its own thing. KM even commented on that in an interview a few years ago.
Not to be anal about this, but there are PLENTY of examples with MP 'locking in' with the other instruments:
1. Constant Motion: https://youtu.be/EjtfpfW-Ogk?t=245 This is perhaps the best example, not just of MP locking in, but of why I think his drumming trumps anyone else's on Earth. There are very few drummers I've heard who can come up with such interesting, creative parts.
2. The Great Debate: https://youtu.be/4z6vpiXQJNA?t=127 Locked in with guitars, bass.
3. The Dance of Eternity: https://youtu.be/PfydR1CQ76k?t=223 Locked in with full band.
4. Stream of Consciousness: https://youtu.be/c52g8k7hFcI?t=184

To me, that section in Constant Motion is the single greatest drum part ever written. The big thing about these parts is that while MP is locked in with the rest of the band, the parts still have their own identity. That to me is the biggest difference between Portnoy and Mangini. MM tries to blend with the other instruments while MP plays to the song but allows his playing to stand out.

THAT drum part was the catalyst for me becoming interested in music as a whole. It was my inspiration for picking up the drumsticks and diving down the rabbit hole of prog and heavy metal. Literally a life-changing musical moment.

this!
constant motion

i bet MM was struggling!
https://youtu.be/VzeZpfqp-tY?t=4m
https://youtu.be/Dyo0dQegGW8?t=4m2s
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 11:55:05 PM by clinks63 »
Where's my welcome thread and 2012 DTF award for it:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20154.0

"the third arrives..."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #440 on: March 25, 2017, 10:35:05 PM »
Actually, he did quite well, it sounded really good. And with the way MM's kit is set up, doing 16th notes on the hi-hat with two hands can't be easy or at least there's more reaching than with a normal kit. I wish more of the video focused on him, but I understand that it's a Petrucci solo...
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #441 on: March 25, 2017, 10:42:42 PM »
I think MM nailed the part! However, the MP era song, from that tour, that Mangini really KILLED (on a good way) and, imo, played even better than Portnoy, was Panick Attack. Just watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZMnjSL129I  :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #442 on: March 25, 2017, 11:13:39 PM »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #443 on: March 26, 2017, 01:57:19 AM »
I think MMs version is a good show of how they're different. He almost entirely doubles the accents/hits of the guitar, while MP was also filling in the spaces between hits and notes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #444 on: March 26, 2017, 04:19:51 AM »
MP sid better live with the hi-hats. MM did better with the bass drums. As expected.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #445 on: March 26, 2017, 06:48:57 PM »
I think MM nailed the part! However, the MP era song, from that tour, that Mangini really KILLED (on a good way) and, imo, played even better than Portnoy, was Panick Attack. Just watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZMnjSL129I  :metal

100% agreed, he totally nailed it!

SO ENERGY

POWER

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #446 on: March 26, 2017, 06:57:09 PM »
Love the comments:
"Labrie has 4 arms" :lol

Yes, MM kills this! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #447 on: March 26, 2017, 07:02:48 PM »

100% agreed, he totally nailed it!

SO ENERGY

POWER

Ugh, I wish I liked that song, because you're right, he really does nail it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #448 on: March 26, 2017, 09:09:26 PM »

He absolutely nailed it! I really enjoy watching MM playing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #449 on: March 26, 2017, 09:20:31 PM »

That's pretty damn good. It actually makes the song worth listening to.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #450 on: March 26, 2017, 10:00:14 PM »
It's hard to match Mangini when the song calls for metal-style drumming.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #451 on: March 27, 2017, 10:24:03 AM »

It would be better if MM stood up and spit during the song.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: March 27, 2017, 10:26:57 AM »

Yeah and needs more WAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOO in the mic.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #453 on: March 27, 2017, 10:54:16 AM »

Yeah and needs more WAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOO in the mic.

:rollin

Offline clinks63

« Reply #454 on: March 30, 2017, 02:59:18 AM »

i bet MM was struggling!
https://youtu.be/VzeZpfqp-tY?t=4m
https://youtu.be/Dyo0dQegGW8?t=4m2s

If you made that bet in Vegas, you'd be broke.

:angel:

MP sid better live with the hi-hats. MM did better with the bass drums. As expected.

this might be the case, for some reason i prefer to hear the hi-hats sounds in the section. and also mentioned in the comments section about the deccabons:

SebaChannel1 year ago
is it me? or mangini couldnt handle the solo? he he used the bass pedals lol
Colmill052
Colmill0521 year ago
Why would he play it the same? And if I am right, the kicks are a bit too cranked on the mix. If he could play the quick pre solo section, which is grueling, I doubt he cant do it but the mix hid the toms
Colmill052
Colmill0521 year ago
Seriously that part with the hi hat and quick tom fills still is exhausting
ossibossi100
ossibossi1001 year ago
+SebaChannel Except he didn't?
SebaChannel
SebaChannel1 year ago
+ossibossi100 im not sure, but i think this comment was supossed to be in other video xd
wondaful9
wondaful91 year ago
ur right bro. I'm wearing earbuds. and he couldn't handle the solo. he used his kickers at the end. I think it's because of the way his set is. the decabons are probably too high for him to hit them that quickly. and his toms are set too complexed for that. but yeah, I was a lil disappointed with this performance. I was wanting to see how he was gona pull off one of Portnoy's best parts.
Where's my welcome thread and 2012 DTF award for it:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20154.0

"the third arrives..."