Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305513 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #385 on: March 21, 2017, 07:49:05 AM »
This is sarcasm, right?  Every time there is a poop storm talked about here because of something Portnoy said (which is A LOT), there are a handful of people I always expect to swoop in and have Portnoy's back the second any time someone goes over the line, and you are one of those people.  You even admitted to being a "MP fanboy" the other day, but now you don't have a dog in this hunt?  Sure.

Not sure what you want of me?   I conceded before - and will again - to being a fanboy.  But it's not as if I'm blind or immune to what he does.  I see it.  I just don't think it's all that big a deal.   Maybe I'm used to it because I was married to someone like that.  HAHA.      And by "no dog in this hunt", meaning, I don't make any money off this, I'm not a member of his organization, I've never met the man so there's no personal interest, I'm not willing to burn any relationship bridges over this, and at the end of the day we're talking about a "band" (maybe) that hasn't released a note of music.  So no, I don't really have a dog in this hunt. 

I DO think people are too harsh on him.  Always right to the "he's such a CHILD!"  How come there are so few - if any - mentions that maybe he was protecting Bumblefoot for some reason?  Thal has that project with Scott Stapp that is trying to make a go of it; maybe he just laid down some sick beats in the studio on the condition that "hey don't tell anyone; I don't want to blow my main gig", and MP was just throwing some support his way?  He can't actually SAY that, but he did say "there's a method to my madness".   

Which is perfectly fine - what I find weird is how he blames the fans when someone in the studio screwed up. It's not like fans hacked a phone or stalked the studio with paparazzi equipment. Someone in the studio posted a video. Cat's out of the bag, damage's done, all he needed to say was one line about "I know there was a video out there but people were not supposed to see it, so please, those of you who know, don't spoil the surprise to everyone else and don't discuss it!".

Yep.  This should have been so easy to handle from a PR standpoint.

This is a very fair point; it was a legit way to handle it and probably would have avoided all the calamity.   

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #386 on: March 21, 2017, 07:55:09 AM »
It's just daft. It's clear he wanted there to be hype as he was releasing teasers. I mean if no one had given a rats ass then I'm sure he'd have been pissed about that too. The only thing I can think is that he wanted there to be loads of hype and speculation but for everyone to be way off base. The fact that it all came out pretty quickly made him lose his rag and he was angry. It's like he wanted to out smart all his fans and keep everyone guessing but failed, so had a tantrum. That's just my take on it.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #387 on: March 21, 2017, 08:05:54 AM »
MP has a long history of sticking his foot in his mouth. This isn't the first time, and it isn't the last. What surprises me is that after all these years of doing it, and knowing he does it, and I assume then regretting it to a degree afterward, why he continues. I mean, let's not kid ourselves -- for example, he lost the A7X gig not because the band wanted someone else, or because MP himself was "too busy," but because of his big mouth. He knows it, everyone knows it. He can spin it anyway he wants it, and A7X (who seems very good at handling publicity) quite nicely sidestepped the issue, but the reality is, MP likely had that gig in the can after doing a record and touring, and he just killed it because of his mouth.

But whether someone buys that or not, it is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is -- MP needs to use a professional to vet what he says online. Not all the time, but when he has something big he is working on, he really needs to use a filter he can trust to do the right thing. Because clearly, there is an issue.

I applaud MP for wanting to be connected directly with fans of his work. That says something really good about a famous musician who makes it a point to have that connection. But we're all flawed, and MP's flaws are magnified because he doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. And I don't say any of this out of hate of MP. I'm very excited for his new project. But the way he's treating fans (threatening to ban them, etc.) is just more of the same BS. He should know better by now.

Here's hoping this blows over, and everyone maintains excitement over his new band.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #388 on: March 21, 2017, 08:10:56 AM »
But whether someone buys that or not, it is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is -- MP needs to use a professional to vet what he says online.

You clearly have never dealt with a micromanager :lol
Wanting to do everything because "otherwise it doesn't get done right" is their nature.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: March 21, 2017, 08:12:24 AM »
I think it would have been better for MP to keep quiet until the summer instead of throwing out the bone he did and expect the hounds to be satisfied until months have passed.

Does anyone think it was good marketing to just announce a prog metal supergroup is in the works but not give anymore info and say that you wont know more until summer?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #390 on: March 21, 2017, 08:17:40 AM »
I think it was a mistake to even call it "prog metal supergroup". It's total clickbait, and likely can't live up to its expectations.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: March 21, 2017, 08:27:26 AM »
Does anyone think it was good marketing to just announce a prog metal supergroup is in the works but not give anymore info and say that you wont know more until summer?

I don't think the announcement was bad, but if you are going to have issues when people start putting the pieces of the puzzle together or get mad when things leak, then it's probably a poor decision to make that public.

I think it was a mistake to even call it "prog metal supergroup". It's total clickbait, and likely can't live up to its expectations.

This too.  I think using the term supergroup is a bad idea, unless in fact this turns out to be a true supergroup unlike anything we had seen from MP before.... but that appears to not be the case at all  and maybe the fact people are discovering this before the full announcement is what is ticking him off? 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #392 on: March 21, 2017, 08:30:48 AM »
But whether someone buys that or not, it is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is -- MP needs to use a professional to vet what he says online.

You clearly have never dealt with a micromanager :lol
Wanting to do everything because "otherwise it doesn't get done right" is their nature.

:lol

No, I have, because I am one by nature.  :lol But I learned that while it is helpful to a point, for much bigger success, you need to focus where your strengths are, and let people who know what they're doing handle the tasks that you aren't quite as strong at. To this day, I'm still really surprised MP hasn't made a similar realization.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #393 on: March 21, 2017, 12:00:02 PM »
MP needs to use a professional to vet what he says online.
It's a sad day when you can say "MP has something in common with the SCROTUS."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: March 21, 2017, 12:05:16 PM »
Who is Scrotus ?  :P

Supreme Court Republican Of The United states Military

:neverusethis:

Is that why he's so wrinkly

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #395 on: March 21, 2017, 02:11:52 PM »
Who is Scrotus ?  :P

Supreme Court Republican Of The United states Military

:neverusethis:

Is that why he's so wrinkly
So-Called Ruler Of The US (Trump)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #396 on: March 21, 2017, 05:28:55 PM »

I can't remember if it was this thread or the other one, but I pointed out the extreme similarities between him and Trump.  And I didn't even think of the "he needs someone to oversee his social media activity" one. :lol :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: March 22, 2017, 02:28:09 PM »
:lol if I was a reporter over at BM - i'd make a full report of every single rumour about MP.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #399 on: March 22, 2017, 02:34:23 PM »

I can't remember if it was this thread or the other one, but I pointed out the extreme similarities between him and Trump.  And I didn't even think of the "he needs someone to oversee his social media activity" one. :lol :lol

We need Zydar's Photoshop skills.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: March 22, 2017, 02:39:37 PM »
i'll have a go too.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: March 22, 2017, 02:44:33 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #402 on: March 22, 2017, 02:56:49 PM »
 :lol

:metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: March 22, 2017, 03:01:45 PM »
 :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #404 on: March 22, 2017, 03:04:41 PM »
I'm still chuckling. Perfect. :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #405 on: March 22, 2017, 03:06:36 PM »
:lol if I was a reporter over at BM - i'd make a full report of every single rumour about MP.

https://youtu.be/q6EoRBvdVPQ?t=6s
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #406 on: March 22, 2017, 07:29:06 PM »
https://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/rumors/are-ex-dream-theater-drummer-mike-portnoy-and-keyboardist-derek-sherinian-back-together

They're not letting it rest :lol

Well, I think MP wants to speculate about Derek being in the group so that part is fine...at least I think, according to MP's wishes, or what we have put together.

It's the fact that they mention Bumblefoot which is NOT an approved rumor which makes it too far...I think. 

I mean, the hints he threw down with Derek were pretty obvious, right?

So....I guess we just need MP to tell us what rumors we are allowed to talk about.  He should probably make metal injection aware as well. 

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: March 22, 2017, 07:30:01 PM »
It's Trumpnoy! Nice job, Koto.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #408 on: March 23, 2017, 01:39:40 AM »

Oh God don't let him see this :D I think this would freak him out!

BTW if I remember correctly MP has always stayed pretty neutral on social media when it came to politics.. Not to start an OT here, but do you guys think he voted for Trump?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: March 23, 2017, 01:42:47 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #410 on: March 23, 2017, 02:41:06 AM »
I vaguely remember a Facebook post from Mike a few months ago which implied that he didn't like Trump, but I may be wrong.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline arkdtmp

• Eat My Ass and Balls
« Reply #411 on: March 23, 2017, 02:56:29 AM »
I've said it before but MP was my favourite member of Dream Theater when he was in the band.

Ever since he quit he's done all he can to put me off him as a person.

Whoa, this surprised me.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #412 on: March 23, 2017, 03:01:44 AM »
I don't know about MP but JP had something to say about Trump.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/dream_theaters_john_petrucci_give_trump_a_chance_i_like_him.html

It's not hard to tell what JP is. If you look at his Twitter account, he always followed the Republican candidate. It doesn't surprise me.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #413 on: March 23, 2017, 04:29:39 AM »
Regardless of where you stand, that JP quote about Trump was classy and tactful. What Edmund Burke said at the end of the article is the exact opposite, and it mirrors the smug liberal attitude which put Trump in office in the first place.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #414 on: March 23, 2017, 04:39:16 AM »
JP isn't one to be intentionally controversial, regardless of what anyone around him says.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: March 23, 2017, 06:04:44 AM »
Regardless of where you stand, that JP quote about Trump was classy and tactful.

I wish other musicians/celebrities took that approach as well.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: March 23, 2017, 06:31:22 AM »
I can't imagine great things being in store unless Trump gets impeached and he is replaced by someone who isn't completely inept.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #417 on: March 23, 2017, 07:35:05 AM »
Regardless of where you stand, that JP quote about Trump was classy and tactful.

Yeah, I think we discussed this interview in P/R when it came out, and that was my take as well. JP is just being classy and reasonable.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #418 on: March 23, 2017, 10:03:19 AM »
This is not the P/R subforum.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #419 on: March 23, 2017, 10:56:26 AM »
So I had this thought while at work yesterday - whenever Mike (because he'll be the first one to announce it) reveals who is in the band other than Derek, how does he expect this fans (that have been following this so far) to react? With fake surprise, or blind adoration? Like...we all already know who the guitarist is, and unless we are all wrong and it doesn't turn out to be him, only THEN can we be truly surprised. If it turns out that it was Bumblefoot all along, then most of us will probably react with "Well, see, there ya go...told ya so" feelings, and I can guarantee that will illicit some sort of reaction from Mike (probably mass post deletions on Facebook posts).

If he's smart, whenever another announcement is made, it should just be the guitarist so we get that out of the way. If he saves that announcement for last, it'll be a horrible anti-climax, especially since we don't have any idea who the bassist or vocalist may be. Announce the guitarist next, then the bassist, and end on a high note with the vocalist and band name. I think that might have the best possible reaction, going in that order, and depending on who the vocalist is, maybe by then, we may have all gotten over this whole thing with video-leaks and MP-control and what not.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!