Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305503 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #350 on: March 20, 2017, 12:00:52 PM »
He's such a "horrible person" because he handles social media different than you (say you) would had you been a celebrity?    That's all it takes to be "horrible"?
Who said that? You put "horrible person" in quotes, as if people here were saying it, and no one has said anything like that at all. The worst thing that I see is one single person implying that he might be a "prick". No one here called him a horrible person.

The next time you want to criticise us for blowing things out of proportion, maybe don't do that yourself at the same time? :lol

Anyone here doing this for a living?
What has that got to do with anything?

"Horrible person" in quotes because there are about ten or more posts that bash him AS A PERSON - the ones where they can't even deal with the band/music because of HIM, or they would be fans but for his presence - though admittedly none actually use those words.  If you'd like me to use other words I will.   It was meant to categorize the personalization of the views towards him.

The "for a living" is relevant, because we're talking about MIKE'S JOB.   We're just a bunch of people metaphorically (for the most part) sitting in our mom's basement commenting on the world as if we know something.   He's actually talking about his next source of income.  Whether he "should" or "shouldn't" is not our call.  He does.   It's up to him.   I object to the notion that "once he throws it out there, all bets are off!" as if there's no call on our part for any decorum or reservation.  After the break up, at the "third site", there were many - meaning more than one or two - posts that were outright anti-Semitic, and even a handful that flat out called him a pedophile with his kids.   Really?   The egregiousness of his short patience span with people who clearly don't give a fuck about him warrants that?   

As for me blowing something out of proportion, well, I'm kind of the only one standing up, so you give me a lot more credit than I deserve.   I merely made an observation that didn't jibe with yours.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #351 on: March 20, 2017, 12:04:10 PM »
Stadler, just like you are criticizing some of us for what we are saying online, some of us are criticizing him for what he said online.  I don't think anyone thinks he is a horrible person, he seems like a nice guy.

Not so much; I think most people are like you described; but there are a couple here that have taken it further.  It's that I'm responding to. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #352 on: March 20, 2017, 12:08:21 PM »
The third site, I assume, is 5/8, which is a forum that is intentionally over the top and offensive.  It's irrelevant to the discussion here.

I've never met a person who was a drama queen on social media and then wasn't in real life.  How people act on social media is usually a good gauge of their true selves.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: March 20, 2017, 12:09:45 PM »
I still think some of you are overly harsh.    He's such a "horrible person" because he handles social media different than you (say you) would had you been a celebrity?    That's all it takes to be "horrible"? 

And MIKE is the one that blows stuff out of proportion?  At the very least, it's his career.  Anyone here doing this for a living?

Look, Stadler, you're acting as if you knew MP personnally. There's no need to be up for him every single time somebody makes a negative comment. Plus, as Rumby said, it's only music we're talking about. Granted, some of the comments may seem harsh, but MP's trying to control everything is calling for that. Making music for a living may induce him to react like that, I don't know, but from a PR point of view, it's a catastrophe because I feel he's pushing some fans away from him. Given Bosk's words, apparently, he couldn't care less, but we'll see once the project is up.

B.Lee

For the record I don't know him personally.   And actually sometimes I feel like I DO have to say something.  No, not every single time, but I think respectfully, you're grossly over-simplifying the comments.   There was a whole line of discussion - which prompted the thought that I shuld say something - that was along the lines of "I can't deal with this guy; I can't be a fan, I can't listen to the music, who would WORK with this guy, yadda yadda yadda", and I have to say, the record doesn't support that at all.    With only a handful of exceptions, it seems like most people WOULD work with him, and some again and again.    Right now, it appears there are only FOUR people that won't work with him again.   And actually, two of those haven't entirely ruled that out. 

I frankly don't disagree with your point on the PR side of things - I get that - but I politely disagree that it is 'about the music'.  There's no music to be discussed; we're discussing HIM, and some of the comments HAVE been harsh.  I've already noted some of them above, so I won't repeat them, but...   I just don't agree that "he asked for it".   That's playground stuff.   

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #354 on: March 20, 2017, 12:12:29 PM »
The forum has rules as to what constitutes taking it too far, or bashing him as a person. If things get too far, you can report it to Bosk who will hammer that person into a pulp.

and

Just because some people are responding differently than how you personally would, doesn't mean that they're "horrible people".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: March 20, 2017, 12:14:07 PM »
How people act on social media is usually a good gauge of their true selves.

I disagree and agree, to a degree :lol But that's a good discussion for another thread.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #356 on: March 20, 2017, 12:28:12 PM »
Stadler, we aren't discussing MP as a person.  We are discussing his actions, and specifically, what many consider his inappropriate responses to fans.  And more specifically, some of us are discussing his responses to those fans that comprise this forum. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #357 on: March 20, 2017, 12:40:14 PM »
I get where Portnoy is coming from...its ironic because he said that yet YOU all criticize him for what he feels. And it is his right to choose what is realised.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #358 on: March 20, 2017, 12:44:54 PM »
No, he can feel however he feels.  The issue is what he does publicly.  Lashing out at others publicly, and in many instances, hitting below the belt in doing so, isn't cool.  If you can't see the difference, sorry.  I don't know what to say to you. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #359 on: March 20, 2017, 12:55:37 PM »
All I'm saying is he can post what he wants....we are no different from the news reporting this and that...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: March 20, 2017, 12:56:02 PM »
No, he can feel however he feels.  The issue is what he does publicly.  Lashing out at others publicly, and in many instances, hitting below the belt in doing so, isn't cool.  If you can't see the difference, sorry.  I don't know what to say to you.

100% this

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #361 on: March 20, 2017, 01:08:40 PM »
I still think some of you are overly harsh.    He's such a "horrible person" because he handles social media different than you (say you) would had you been a celebrity?    That's all it takes to be "horrible"? 

And MIKE is the one that blows stuff out of proportion?  At the very least, it's his career.  Anyone here doing this for a living?

Look, Stadler, you're acting as if you knew MP personnally. There's no need to be up for him every single time somebody makes a negative comment. Plus, as Rumby said, it's only music we're talking about. Granted, some of the comments may seem harsh, but MP's trying to control everything is calling for that. Making music for a living may induce him to react like that, I don't know, but from a PR point of view, it's a catastrophe because I feel he's pushing some fans away from him. Given Bosk's words, apparently, he couldn't care less, but we'll see once the project is up.

B.Lee

For the record I don't know him personally.   And actually sometimes I feel like I DO have to say something.  No, not every single time, but I think respectfully, you're grossly over-simplifying the comments.   There was a whole line of discussion - which prompted the thought that I shuld say something - that was along the lines of "I can't deal with this guy; I can't be a fan, I can't listen to the music, who would WORK with this guy, yadda yadda yadda", and I have to say, the record doesn't support that at all.    With only a handful of exceptions, it seems like most people WOULD work with him, and some again and again.    Right now, it appears there are only FOUR people that won't work with him again.   And actually, two of those haven't entirely ruled that out. 

I frankly don't disagree with your point on the PR side of things - I get that - but I politely disagree that it is 'about the music'.  There's no music to be discussed; we're discussing HIM, and some of the comments HAVE been harsh.  I've already noted some of them above, so I won't repeat them, but...   I just don't agree that "he asked for it".   That's playground stuff.

You're wrong if you think we're discussing him as a person, because it's not the case. We're discussing his attitude and we're doing it in a manner that is far more restrained than MP's. As to your last comment, it's condescending and frankly, you won't get people agreeing with you with comments like that. I'm 46 and I don't need to be lectured that way. Let's just leave it at that.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: March 20, 2017, 01:17:40 PM »
Stadler, we aren't discussing MP as a person.  We are discussing his actions, and specifically, what many consider his inappropriate responses to fans.  And more specifically, some of us are discussing his responses to those fans that comprise this forum.

For the most part, yes. I agree.  And I'm not making any comment on that aspect of it.   But there were a few that, while I don't think they did anything to explicitly break any forum rules, were extrapolating his actions out to areas that I thought might suggest that deep down, it WAS personal.

I mean, Bosk, can you really say that "how can ANYONE work with him", given his track record of working with COUNTLESS people in the industry, many on multiple occasions and in multiple projects, is not an inferred personal attack?   Clearly there's at least some evidence that he's not a drama queen in real life. 

Look, I really don't have a dog in this hunt.  I don't know the guy any more (and probably less) than many of you.  I do think he probably does - as el Barto says - cloud the line between "critique" and "bash".   So be it.   

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #363 on: March 20, 2017, 01:52:12 PM »

100%!

I love his music and are really looking forward seeing him 3 times over the next months.
However, his communication about the new 'project' feels embarrassing while just reading it.
I just can't believe a 50 year old men is reacting like a little child while the whole 'problem' is within his own organisation.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: March 20, 2017, 02:13:15 PM »
Maybe I am understanding this wrong, but if he makes hints about a super group, why is he deleting comments about people speculating about such a group?  Seems thats exactly what you would want if you are going to make a public statement about this mysterious group. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: March 20, 2017, 02:15:21 PM »
Hey guys i've got a new supergroup with 4 mystery people ! More details soon !

:) supergroup ? I wonder who it could be ?

STOP TALKING ABOUT MY SECRET PROJECT !!!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #366 on: March 20, 2017, 02:17:56 PM »

My bet is on Kevin Moore and Buckethead.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: March 20, 2017, 02:20:28 PM »
Maybe I am understanding this wrong, but if he makes hints about a super group, why is he deleting comments about people speculating about such a group?  Seems thats exactly what you would want if you are going to make a public statement about this mysterious group.

I find it strange too... he wanted people to know that he and Derek were in the studio together in a "prog metal supergroup" but then everything else should be secret for months on end. It's not even building any hype.

I fail to see the reasoning behind that strategy.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: March 20, 2017, 02:21:57 PM »

My bet is on Kevin Moore and Buckethead.

DooDoohead is already confirmed 😏😏

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #369 on: March 20, 2017, 02:22:19 PM »

Because a tech working in the studio posted a video where in the last split second you could see and recognize Bumblefoot, and he doesn't want that info leaked and therefore discussed.

Which is perfectly fine - what I find weird is how he blames the fans when someone in the studio screwed up. It's not like fans hacked a phone or stalked the studio with paparazzi equipment. Someone in the studio posted a video. Cat's out of the bag, damage's done, all he needed to say was one line about "I know there was a video out there but people were not supposed to see it, so please, those of you who know, don't spoil the surprise to everyone else and don't discuss it!".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #370 on: March 20, 2017, 04:22:31 PM »
I find it hilarious people have resorted to the old, "Oh you meanies will criticize him no matter what he does!" and only provide select examples of people only criticizing him when he is really out of line.  :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #371 on: March 20, 2017, 07:56:08 PM »
All I'm saying is he can post what he wants....we are no different from the news reporting this and that...

No one is saying he can't post what he wants, but when a 50-year old musician celebrity routinely acts like a potty teenager on social media, it is going to be talked about, and not usually in a positive manner.

Look, I really don't have a dog in this hunt.   

This is sarcasm, right?  Every time there is a poop storm talked about here because of something Portnoy said (which is A LOT), there are a handful of people I always expect to swoop in and have Portnoy's back the second any time someone goes over the line, and you are one of those people.  You even admitted to being a "MP fanboy" the other day, but now you don't have a dog in this hunt?  Sure.

Because a tech working in the studio posted a video where in the last split second you could see and recognize Bumblefoot, and he doesn't want that info leaked and therefore discussed.

Which is perfectly fine - what I find weird is how he blames the fans when someone in the studio screwed up. It's not like fans hacked a phone or stalked the studio with paparazzi equipment. Someone in the studio posted a video. Cat's out of the bag, damage's done, all he needed to say was one line about "I know there was a video out there but people were not supposed to see it, so please, those of you who know, don't spoil the surprise to everyone else and don't discuss it!".

Yep.  This should have been so easy to handle from a PR standpoint.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #372 on: March 20, 2017, 08:06:31 PM »

Actually we are different. When someone disagrees with something we say, our response isn't "I have a RIGHT to POST what I WANT to post!!!!"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #373 on: March 21, 2017, 12:27:34 AM »
When MP speaks, this forum becomes worse than The View.  :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #374 on: March 21, 2017, 02:55:36 AM »
Maybe we can go back to speculating who is in the supergroup.  :lol

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #375 on: March 21, 2017, 02:59:34 AM »
I think Bumblefoot could be in, what do you guys think?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #376 on: March 21, 2017, 03:12:13 AM »
Bumblefoot would be sweet, who do you guys think could be the bass player? Conner Green?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #377 on: March 21, 2017, 04:10:32 AM »
Wonder who the drummer is?  :P
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #378 on: March 21, 2017, 04:20:32 AM »
Mike Mangini

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: March 21, 2017, 04:23:02 AM »
Bubblebutt.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #380 on: March 21, 2017, 05:34:38 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: March 21, 2017, 06:17:56 AM »
Scuttle Butt.

Stevie Ray Vaughn CONFIRMED :coolio

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #382 on: March 21, 2017, 06:53:48 AM »
What's funny about the whole thing is that by his words and actions MP all but confirmed that Bumblefoot is involved. He could of just said that Bumblefoot was recording a new album at the same studio or something and this would be a non-story. I think that MP just wants complete control over everything and in the age of social media and the internet that's practically impossible. The way he handled his forum really turned me off. I hardly post or visit there anymore and this type of stuff doesn't help my desire to go back.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: March 21, 2017, 07:02:16 AM »
I've said it before but MP was my favourite member of Dream Theater when he was in the band.

Ever since he quit he's done all he can to put me off him as a person.

Offline emtee

« Reply #384 on: March 21, 2017, 07:36:51 AM »
Love MP and his passion for the fans and music but I'm not quite sure what happened with this attempt at hype. He let us know there
was a new prog metal supergroup recording and of course all of us begin the natural course of action...speculation and guessing at
WHO is in the band. It's 100% guaranteed we are all going to do this, especially since this is the 1st such project since he left DT.
But for reasons only he and the members know he decides it's not appropriate to speculate about this yet so the plug is pulled on all
comments. I guess I'll just have to trust that there is some significant reason why there has to be such a veil of secrecy about this
but all in all it's pretty confusing.

Still anxious for the album though. I've been waiting for MP to go back to his roots for years now.