Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305580 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #317 on: March 19, 2017, 10:17:29 PM »
Think MP will shut down Blabbermouth?
I'm sure he would if he could. :lol

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: March 19, 2017, 11:17:31 PM »

Seriously though, how the hell can anybody work with this guy?

I've said for a while that working with Neal Morse is the one thing that seems to calm him down and make him act like a rational person.  Put him in other projects and look out. Put him in control and here lies the result.  And it's a good reminder of the way he acted the last few years in Dream Theater.  His attitude and persona as the voice of the band took a lot of the fun of being a fan, at least for me.  Sure, maybe the guys don't do some of the little things he used to, but when they come with all of this nonsense, I'll take the alternative.

This. I'm surprised he didn't fire the keyboard tech like he fired Petrucci's guitar tech without checking with him. Perhaps he doesn't have that kind of power anymore so he has to take it out on random internet people on *HIS*!!!! $#32* forum.

Wait..  he did what, when? Fired JPs guitar tech???

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: March 19, 2017, 11:36:00 PM »
Think MP will shut down Blabbermouth?
I'm sure he would if he could. :lol

I wonder which came first this Blabbermouth piece or his deleting of the thread?

He probably deleted the thread as an angry reaction to seeing the Blabbermouth post. Sad.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: March 19, 2017, 11:39:28 PM »
In tribute to Blabbermouth and Ron Thal , MP is calling his new band Bumblemouth.  Rather fitting .

Rumoured album cover for the self titled debut.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:35:12 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #322 on: March 20, 2017, 06:21:58 AM »
From the comment section:

Ross Alexander Cameron
Together, they'll be an unstoppable force. No British hospital will make them queue now!

:lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #323 on: March 20, 2017, 06:31:03 AM »
I know I'm an old guy but sometimes I wish that it was like the old days, you didn't know when an album was coming out until basically it was out and you didn't have this constant interaction with the artists and we didn't know what pricks they were.

I really like the music that MP makes (contributes to), but I can't stand the man. And that affects my interest in his projects. When he came out and said TSOAD was up there with Tommy and The Wall I instantly was very critical of it. It's a really good album and I missed the chance of seeing them because of MP's arrogance, but I will catch them the next time around. And if he brings the Shattered Fortress to NYC as he wants (one more "once in a lifetime" chance) I will go see it, because the music is what is important.

Is it a wonder why JP hasn't in all likelihood spoken to the man in almost 7 years? Sorry to bash on MP, but he is such an easy target and he just doesn't get it and never will.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #324 on: March 20, 2017, 06:39:58 AM »
The Shattered Fortress thing has been really interesting to me as well. First it's a "once in a lifetime" thing for the cruise. Then, it becomes a "few times in a lifetime" with several festival bill headline spots. Now it's a small tour.

More is better, right? Well, I don't know. I don't go on the cruises, and I don't fly to other cities to go see the prog festivals, so I personally don't care as much - I'm not spending any money to see this thing debuted "once in a lifetime" around every corner. But I do know a few people who spend quite a bit of money going to the prog cruises and traveling to these prog festivals, and I would be curious to hear if they aren't a little peeved by having the same event constantly sucking the air out of the room.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #325 on: March 20, 2017, 06:44:06 AM »
The Shattered Fortress thing has been really interesting to me as well. First it's a "once in a lifetime" thing for the cruise. Then, it becomes a "few times in a lifetime" with several festival bill headline spots. Now it's a small tour.

More is better, right? Well, I don't know. I don't go on the cruises, and I don't fly to other cities to go see the prog festivals, so I personally don't care as much - I'm not spending any money to see this thing debuted "once in a lifetime" around every corner. But I do know a few people who spend quite a bit of money going to the prog cruises and traveling to these prog festivals, and I would be curious to hear if they aren't a little peeved by having the same event constantly sucking the air out of the room.

Also, there wouldn´t be ANY professional filming of this once in a livetime event. How much do you want to bet that MP will announce a Shattered Fortress DVD once this (so far) small tour gets going?

Offline Art

« Reply #326 on: March 20, 2017, 06:44:50 AM »
I tend to think this forum is overly critical of MP, but he is definitely out of line on this one.

This.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: March 20, 2017, 06:50:26 AM »
How much do you want to bet that MP will announce a Shattered Fortress DVD once this (so far) small tour gets going?

100%.

1 0 0 % .

Also : https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=48404.msg2213257#msg2213257

So we both know when we're right :biggrin: :hifive:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:58:37 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #328 on: March 20, 2017, 07:05:43 AM »

I've said for a while that working with Neal Morse is the one thing that seems to calm him down and make him act like a rational person.  Put him in other projects and look out. Put him in control and here lies the result.  And it's a good reminder of the way he acted the last few years in Dream Theater.  His attitude and persona as the voice of the band took a lot of the fun of being a fan, at least for me.  Sure, maybe the guys don't do some of the little things he used to, but when they come with all of this nonsense, I'll take the alternative.

This. I'm surprised he didn't fire the keyboard tech like he fired Petrucci's guitar tech without checking with him. Perhaps he doesn't have that kind of power anymore so he has to take it out on random internet people on *HIS*!!!! $#32* forum.

Yeah, don't think I've heard that story before... When did that happen?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #329 on: March 20, 2017, 07:09:06 AM »
Hey Mike - what's your set up on this album ? :)

@MikePortnoy 2m

Do *NOT* make me block you. I have *NOT* confirmed *I* am the drummer!!
And neither have *THEY*. Whoever *THEY* may or may *NOT* be!!!!

Yes I'm kidding :P
:lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #330 on: March 20, 2017, 07:47:58 AM »

Yeah, don't think I've heard that story before... When did that happen?

Don't remember. It's in the Lifting Shadows book and I don't have it handy.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #331 on: March 20, 2017, 08:08:52 AM »
I still think some of you are overly harsh.    He's such a "horrible person" because he handles social media different than you (say you) would had you been a celebrity?    That's all it takes to be "horrible"? 

And MIKE is the one that blows stuff out of proportion?  At the very least, it's his career.  Anyone here doing this for a living?

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #332 on: March 20, 2017, 08:25:25 AM »
I still think some of you are overly harsh.    He's such a "horrible person" because he handles social media different than you (say you) would had you been a celebrity?    That's all it takes to be "horrible"? 

And MIKE is the one that blows stuff out of proportion?  At the very least, it's his career.  Anyone here doing this for a living?
I agree. People should create a thread "bash and insult MP, his media comments and whatever he does/says here". This thread and the Shattered Fortress one are mostly people talking about how ridiculous everything he posts or says on social media is. I think if it was a different DT member who did that the moderators would intervene. But since he left DT and he posts such stuff, it is ok. Some people maybe see him as a "traitor" and allow themselves to bash ANYTHING that he posts.

As much as I also think that he exaggerates sometimes, it is his band, his forum, his tweeter and he can do whatever he wants. If he doesn't want people speculating or posting stuff about the members of his new band, why can't people just accept it and move on?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #333 on: March 20, 2017, 08:26:52 AM »
Because this is the internet and it's entertaining as hell. And also, when MP makes demands to the internet at large, there can really be only outcome, and it's entirely deserved at that point.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #334 on: March 20, 2017, 08:38:41 AM »
He's such a "horrible person" because he handles social media different than you (say you) would had you been a celebrity?    That's all it takes to be "horrible"?
Who said that? You put "horrible person" in quotes, as if people here were saying it, and no one has said anything like that at all. The worst thing that I see is one single person implying that he might be a "prick". No one here called him a horrible person.

The next time you want to criticise us for blowing things out of proportion, maybe don't do that yourself at the same time? :lol

Anyone here doing this for a living?
What has that got to do with anything?

Offline bill1971

« Reply #335 on: March 20, 2017, 09:25:59 AM »
Stadler, just like you are criticizing some of us for what we are saying online, some of us are criticizing him for what he said online.  I don't think anyone thinks he is a horrible person, he seems like a nice guy.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #336 on: March 20, 2017, 09:27:37 AM »
Y'know, it's funny, because MP complains about internet fans all the time... but I've gotta say, some of my earliest memories of being a DT fan are reading MP interviews where he would totally eviscerate Lars Ulrich, at-the-time modern Rush, and Queensryche. So he should definitely understand what it's like to be a fan shooting the shit. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #337 on: March 20, 2017, 09:40:53 AM »

Look, Stadler, you're acting as if you knew MP personnally. There's no need to be up for him every single time somebody makes a negative comment. Plus, as Rumby said, it's only music we're talking about. Granted, some of the comments may seem harsh, but MP's trying to control everything is calling for that. Making music for a living may induce him to react like that, I don't know, but from a PR point of view, it's a catastrophe because I feel he's pushing some fans away from him. Given Bosk's words, apparently, he couldn't care less, but we'll see once the project is up.

B.Lee
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:59:26 AM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #338 on: March 20, 2017, 09:56:56 AM »
MP is well within his right to control the content posted in his own forum. But the way he handled this "leak" is really poor, putting much of the heat on forum posters when much of the fault is within his team.

He's not a horrible person. He just handled this brouhaha horribly.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #339 on: March 20, 2017, 10:03:17 AM »
MP is well within his right to control the content posted in his own forum. But the way he handled this "leak" is really poor, putting much of the heat on forum posters when much of the fault is within his team.

He's not a horrible person. He just handled this brouhaha horribly.
Exactly.  If people were bashing him as a person, we would come down on that and not allow it.  People are specifically addressing how he handled this situation and are keeping it factual, and that is all fine. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: March 20, 2017, 10:06:58 AM »
He just handled this brouhaha horribly.

I think he's handled a lot of brouhaha poorly in social media.  I don't know him, so I can't say anything about him personally, but I assume he isn't such a bad person.  My guess, and only a guess, is that he's a very emotional dude and the negativity probably effects him more so than others who are in the spotlight.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #341 on: March 20, 2017, 10:16:56 AM »

I think he's handled a lot of brouhaha poorly in social media.  I don't know him, so I can't say anything about him personally, but I assume he isn't such a bad person.  My guess, and only a guess, is that he's a very emotional dude and the negativity probably effects him more so than others who are in the spotlight.

Yup, that's how I feel too.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: March 20, 2017, 10:18:56 AM »

I agree.... this seems to be the case

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #343 on: March 20, 2017, 10:27:03 AM »

I agree.... this seems to be the case

I think so as well, but, honestly, he should take it easy and not be so offensive. As I said before, I think his attitude is doing him a great disservice in the long run.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #344 on: March 20, 2017, 10:34:31 AM »
My problem has always been his complete inability to distinguish critique from bashing. His regard of this forum has always been the best example of that. He's quite well liked over here and criticism is leveled pretty fairly. Yet to hear it from him this is merely where all of his haters come to post and barely a notch above BM.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: March 20, 2017, 10:42:07 AM »
I don't know if I missed it over the years but has he outright critized this forum or was it just something that he said to bosk?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #346 on: March 20, 2017, 10:43:14 AM »
My problem has always been his complete inability to distinguish critique from bashing. His regard of this forum has always been the best example of that. He's quite well liked over here and criticism is leveled pretty fairly. Yet to hear it from him this is merely where all of his haters come to post and barely a notch above BM.
Bingo.  That sums it up perfectly.  I almost feel like I owe you fees for the therapy that that post accomplished.   :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #347 on: March 20, 2017, 10:48:04 AM »
I don't know if I missed it over the years but has he outright critized this forum or was it just something that he said to bosk?
On his forum DTF is referred to as "that other place" and he frequently cites it as the land of the haters. This predates the divorce, BTW. When he was in DT he had the same opinion because constructive criticisms weren't promptly deleted as they were at his forum.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #348 on: March 20, 2017, 11:55:07 AM »
Bingo.  That sums it up perfectly.  I almost feel like I owe you fees for the therapy that that post accomplished.   :biggrin:

That's really the gist of it, I agree. MP sadly has a tendency of dividing the world into a "with me" and "against me". With that approach however he pushes a solid number of people who otherwise would be "I'm with you, but maybe only 80%" into the "against me" camp.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #349 on: March 20, 2017, 11:57:07 AM »
On his forum DTF is referred to as "that other place" and he frequently cites it as the land of the haters. This predates the divorce, BTW. When he was in DT he had the same opinion because constructive criticisms weren't promptly deleted as they were at his forum.

Just asking, but isn't that what a dictator would do?  :eek
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."