Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305463 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #280 on: March 19, 2017, 10:25:07 AM »
Meanwhile at the MP cave he wrote:

Thank you MOOG...you seem to "get it" 

For those of you that STILL don't and for the record: the person that posted that video was NOT supposed to have (and was not an "official" source) and was absolutely reprimanded for his irresponsible actions in doing so...he deleted the post and has apologized profusely for his mistake

So it was NOT one of "us" that leaked/posted that...

Again, (and why I have to explain or justify myself on MY OWN website/Forum is ludicrous), the ONLY "official" information that has/will be posted so far is what I posted on my Social Media (as well as the matching "Del Fuvio" post by somebody else)

Several people here (again, you know who you are...don't make me name names) RAN and SPREAD the "leak" as if it was "official information" which it was NOT....

Like it or not, these are my wishes/rules....
This is MY Forum and this is MY band!

Respect it or else...

He's unleashing all the social media goodies he hadn't unleashed in the past year and a half or so lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: March 19, 2017, 10:49:01 AM »
Whatever happened to his paid tweet service ?

Where you pay like $3 a month to get exclusive tweets or videos ?

Did that last more than 1 month ? :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #282 on: March 19, 2017, 11:10:04 AM »

For those of you that STILL don't and for the record: the person that posted that video was NOT supposed to have (and was not an "official" source) and was absolutely reprimanded for his irresponsible actions in doing so...he deleted the post and has apologized profusely for his mistake

He's referring to Derek's keyboard tech, who originally posted the Bumblefoot video on Instagram. The way Mike talks about him makes it sound like he leaked the album.  :\

Again, (and why I have to explain or justify myself on MY OWN website/Forum is ludicrous), the ONLY "official" information that has/will be posted so far is what I posted on my Social Media (as well as the matching "Del Fuvio" post by somebody else

...is he trying to hide the fact that Derek is involved?  :facepalm:
I don't understand why a person would be this up in arms about hiding who's involved with this project. People mentioned that maybe the final lineup hasn't been decided, well then maybe wait till you have a finalized lineup before announcing said project?
When/if Bumblefoot is confirmed, this whole drama is gonna look even more stupid.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 03:16:49 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: March 19, 2017, 11:17:05 AM »
He's referring to Derek's keyboard tech, who originally posted the Bumblefoot video on Instagram. The way Mike talks about him makes it sound like he leaked the album.  :\

The way Mike talks it makes it sound like he leaked the Pentagon Papers.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #284 on: March 19, 2017, 11:41:56 AM »
The way Mike talks about it he makes it sound as if this shit was important :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: March 19, 2017, 11:55:26 AM »
The way Mike talks about it he makes it sound as if this shit was important :lol

It is deadly important to him...

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #286 on: March 19, 2017, 12:24:04 PM »

Well of course it is, but what Rumby is hinting at is that in the grand scheme of things, it is not important at all, it's just music. I would have liked MP to handle the situation just as DT did when someone saw MM going out of the studio and we all knew it was him the new drummer. Tell nothing. But, what could I expect from MP?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #287 on: March 19, 2017, 12:29:05 PM »

Again, (and why I have to explain or justify myself on MY OWN website/Forum is ludicrous), the ONLY "official" information that has/will be posted so far is what I posted on my Social Media (as well as the matching "Del Fuvio" post by somebody else)

Several people here (again, you know who you are...don't make me name names) RAN and SPREAD the "leak" as if it was "official information" which it was NOT....

Respect it or else...

WTF?!?!? Calm down, my man, or you will have a heart attack! And SHOUTING won't make you heard more easily, quite the contrary.
Well, I might have checked what that band would be. Now, I'm sorry, I won't. I'm just so tired of all his outbursts.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: March 19, 2017, 12:48:37 PM »
Hey Mike - what's your set up on this album ? :)

@MikePortnoy 2m

Do *NOT* make me block you. I have *NOT* confirmed *I* am the drummer!!
And neither have *THEY*. Whoever *THEY* may or may *NOT* be!!!!

Yes I'm kidding :P

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2017, 01:00:23 PM »
 :rollin
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Skeever

« Reply #290 on: March 19, 2017, 01:14:17 PM »
It's amazing Mike has not learned yet that there's no way anyone whines on social media and comes out looking good.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #291 on: March 19, 2017, 01:18:40 PM »
I think it's partially because he surrounds himself with a bubble he has very tight control over. The moment he is forced to deal with anything outside of that, especially something as wild and uncontrollable (and often belligerent) as the internet, he virtually implodes.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #292 on: March 19, 2017, 03:30:55 PM »

Well of course it is, but what Rumby is hinting at is that in the grand scheme of things, it is not important at all, it's just music. I would have liked MP to handle the situation just as DT did when someone saw MM going out of the studio and we all knew it was him the new drummer. Tell nothing. But, what could I expect from MP?

B.Lee

I don't remember that. What did MP do regarding MM?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: March 19, 2017, 03:48:46 PM »
Only thing I can think of is that MM confided to MP that he was the new drummer - MP told Eddie Trunk and Eddie Trunk revealed it before DT did.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #294 on: March 19, 2017, 04:18:29 PM »
The drum fill that leads into Live, Die, Kill is probably one of my favorite drum moment in the band's discography. And I might be alone in this, but I find that most of the self-titled album gives me the urge to air drum.

I'm with you on this one! I love Mike's drumming in DT12 and definitely air drum to a lot of his drum lines.

Respect it or else...

After this, I'm done (should say DONE) following MP in social media and completely lost interest in whatever comes out from this band.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #295 on: March 19, 2017, 04:47:47 PM »
I would say that would be as much of an overreaction as MP's was.

If it's good music, I will listen to it, if not then not. Simple as that. Given the lineup I'm not on the edge of my seat, but it's a new thing, and it would be silly to not at least give it a shot.

Online Adami

« Reply #296 on: March 19, 2017, 04:50:02 PM »
I wonder how far a musician would have to go as a person to make it impact how I view their music.

I mean, I still love Mel Gibson movies, and my favorite director once said he really empathized with Hitler, so I guess they'd have to go REALLY far to impact me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #297 on: March 19, 2017, 04:53:54 PM »
Ted Nugent is probably on that short list, at least for me. Luckily he never produced anything of particular interest to me anyway.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #298 on: March 19, 2017, 05:09:50 PM »
He just never should have said anything about recording and then just announced the band when material was ready  and he wanted to announce stuff. This was bound to happen. Doesn't he know that he's dealing with fans that cleared an out of focus picture of a lyric in the DT12 session or transcribed a piano piece from a studio video. This was inevitable  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #299 on: March 19, 2017, 06:59:12 PM »
The thread about this project on his forum is gone.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #300 on: March 19, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »
SEE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE?!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: March 19, 2017, 07:08:56 PM »
 :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: March 19, 2017, 07:33:43 PM »
 :tdwn

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #303 on: March 19, 2017, 07:37:06 PM »

If it's good music, I will listen to it, if not then not. Simple as that. Given the lineup I'm not on the edge of my seat, but it's a new thing, and it would be silly to not at least give it a shot.

Same here. I haven't been a fan of Portnoy the person for probably 15 years now, yet in that time span, I've bought probably close to 20 studio albums he's been on.  Like you said, good music is good music.

The thread about this project on his forum is gone.

Wait, really?  So, you can't talk about his old prog metal band (Dream Theater) on there, and now you can't talk about his new one (Stumblebum Meets Bumblefoot) either?  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #304 on: March 19, 2017, 07:38:06 PM »
You're not allowed to talk about DT on there? Is it just DT's current activity or DT period?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #305 on: March 19, 2017, 07:39:46 PM »
HIS forum! HIS band! HIS decision!

Someone should go open a new thread and see what happens.

"Since the last topic got deleted, I figured I would make a new one. Here was can discuss MP's new progressive metal band which may or may not include Derek Sherinian, Bumblefoot, and an unauthorized keyboard tech"

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #306 on: March 19, 2017, 07:41:09 PM »
Eh, trolling another forum for the hell of it is so 2004. :P :lol

Besides, a Mike Mangini appreciation thread is a much better idea. :biggrin:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #307 on: March 19, 2017, 08:17:01 PM »

Same here. I haven't been a fan of Portnoy the person for probably 15 years now, yet in that time span, I've bought probably close to 20 studio albums he's been on.  Like you said, good music is good music.

Oh, absolutely. If I buy another album with MP on it, it'll be because I like the other musicians and their music (NMB, TA, FC), not because of his involvement. I'll, of course, listen to this new band once the full lineup is announced and a single or something is released, but, untill then, I've lost all the interest I had. I think he's a great drummer, but makes TERRIBLE decisions when it comes to the relationship with his fans, and, sadly, he has lost me as one.

I really doubt he cares and me not following him anymore doesn't mean anything to his career, but I can't stand his way of managing these things and I, a marketing student in my last year of career, know a thing or two about the importance of building good relationships with your customers and having a healthy public image, none of which he seems to have at the moment.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #308 on: March 19, 2017, 08:19:13 PM »
I tend to think this forum is overly critical of MP, but he is definitely out of line on this one.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #309 on: March 19, 2017, 08:44:27 PM »
What band? If there's no thread about it, I'm sure there's no new progressive metal project with MP...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #310 on: March 19, 2017, 09:24:21 PM »
:corn :corn :corn

I hope he reacts like this at least every other day until they release an album (or he loses his shit all together and rage quits)

...and then sues the band when they won't let him back in after they've found a new drummer.  :lol

Seriously though, how the hell can anybody work with this guy?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #311 on: March 19, 2017, 09:31:04 PM »
I think for spite someone should go start a side project with all the musicians that he denied might be involved.

Online Adami

« Reply #312 on: March 19, 2017, 09:32:42 PM »
Just Bumblefoot?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #313 on: March 19, 2017, 09:35:52 PM »

I've said for a while that working with Neal Morse is the one thing that seems to calm him down and make him act like a rational person.  Put him in other projects and look out. Put him in control and here lies the result.  And it's a good reminder of the way he acted the last few years in Dream Theater.  His attitude and persona as the voice of the band took a lot of the fun of being a fan, at least for me.  Sure, maybe the guys don't do some of the little things he used to, but when they come with all of this nonsense, I'll take the alternative.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #314 on: March 19, 2017, 09:43:01 PM »

I've said for a while that working with Neal Morse is the one thing that seems to calm him down and make him act like a rational person.  Put him in other projects and look out. Put him in control and here lies the result.  And it's a good reminder of the way he acted the last few years in Dream Theater.  His attitude and persona as the voice of the band took a lot of the fun of being a fan, at least for me.  Sure, maybe the guys don't do some of the little things he used to, but when they come with all of this nonsense, I'll take the alternative.

This. I'm surprised he didn't fire the keyboard tech like he fired Petrucci's guitar tech without checking with him. Perhaps he doesn't have that kind of power anymore so he has to take it out on random internet people on *HIS*!!!! $#32* forum.