Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305487 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #210 on: March 15, 2017, 06:25:45 PM »
Perhaps he has to pay a fee or something, which is likely what DT had to do when they took the albums covers of the full albums they covered and altered them a bit.

Interesting theory.  I thought of that myself.  As it stands, I deleted my initial comment because I got the MP threads mixed up when i meant to post in the other. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #211 on: March 15, 2017, 06:27:24 PM »
Okay. I threw my comments into the other thread, for the sake of continuity.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #212 on: March 15, 2017, 08:51:06 PM »
I think an instrumental project would be a huge mistake.

I think it's a matter of intent. If he just wants a fun project with some people he wants to make music with again, instrumental is fine. If he wants this to be a financially stable thing with a stronger future, then I absolutely think he needs a vocalist.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind it being an instrumental album. Other than LTE, he hasn't done an instrumental project. It would actually be a nice change from his very few projects with singers.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #213 on: March 16, 2017, 06:03:19 AM »
As many others said here, I hope the bassist is not Billy Sheehan. Heīs not in the studio with them anyways, and heīs done two other projects with MP. But I really canīt see why some of us think "Billyīs style doesnīt fit prog at all". I thought his sound blended perfectly with MPīs drums in PSMS. Is it his clothing style that bothers you? His stage presence? I know heīs associated with Talas, Mr. Big, David Lee Roth etc. and this carries an image, but aside from that, I really canīt see how his playing style "doesnīt fit prog".

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #214 on: March 16, 2017, 06:45:19 AM »
I can only answer for myself, but Billy has the worst bass sound of any bass player I know of.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #215 on: March 16, 2017, 06:57:40 AM »
I can only answer for myself, but Billy has the worst bass sound of any bass player I know of.

:o :o :-\ :-\

I love him!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #216 on: March 16, 2017, 07:06:13 AM »
As a bassist, I dislike him because he overplays everything. He can never just play the role of a bassist, he always has to be flashy. That's ok from time to time, and John Myung is a good example of that working.
Billy is a guitarist who plays a bass, nothing more.

And yeah, his tone is horrible.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #217 on: March 16, 2017, 07:10:12 AM »
Yeah, that must be why Eddie Van Halen, the king of tones, didnīt want him anywhere near Van Halen.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: March 16, 2017, 08:19:39 AM »
As many others said here, I hope the bassist is not Billy Sheehan. Heīs not in the studio with them anyways, and heīs done two other projects with MP. But I really canīt see why some of us think "Billyīs style doesnīt fit prog at all". I thought his sound blended perfectly with MPīs drums in PSMS. Is it his clothing style that bothers you? His stage presence? I know heīs associated with Talas, Mr. Big, David Lee Roth etc. and this carries an image, but aside from that, I really canīt see how his playing style "doesnīt fit prog".

I think it's because he's a scientologist  :lol

I love Billy's playing.  The only reason I'd say I'd rather him not be involved is because he already is involved with MP's other projects.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #219 on: March 16, 2017, 08:38:55 AM »
I've never had a problem with Billy's playing or sound.  I never heard him in Talas.  He does go crazy and play more of a "lead bass" in PSMS or, say, Vai solo stuff.  But not in more "straightforward" rock.  While still definitely "flashy," I never really felt like he was taking over in Mr. Big, DLR, or Winery Dogs.  I'm not saying others can't feel that way, or that you can't feel like his style just doesn't suit you.  Just saying, it never really stood at to me as a problem.  And if he were to be in this project, I'm not sure his flashy, sometimes over the top style is out of place in a genre where bands do things like having three bassists and a "lead bass" approach.  Heck, look at JM's approach in the Majesty/WDADU days. 

That said, it doesn't seem like he is involved in this, which is fine.  I know for me, I would prefer him to NOT be involved.  But that isn't necessarily because of his playing.  Hopefully, Mike has put together a lineup and will help guide the writing of the songs such that the players compliment each other and nobody's particular playing style detracts.  For me, my reasoning is simply because he has recently worked on two projects with Billy, and adding Billy to yet another project would just feel to me a bit incestuous and like he cannot break out of the usual cast of characters.  But we'll see.  I'm optimistic, and I hope the music lives up to the hype.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #220 on: March 16, 2017, 09:41:58 AM »
I actually like Billy in the projects that he's been in. I love Mr Big, feel he's fine in TWD etc. He's just a very narrow player, he doesn't veer off far from his regular play.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #221 on: March 16, 2017, 10:12:11 AM »
As a bassist, I dislike him because he overplays everything. He can never just play the role of a bassist, he always has to be flashy. That's ok from time to time, and John Myung is a good example of that working.

I'm a bassist, and agree 100% with what you said, specially the bolded part.

Now, it isn't fair to criticize Billy without giving an example of someone who, imo, does all these things right. So, who is a prog/rock/metal bassist who has crazy good technique, knows when to stand out and when to lay back, who also has AMAZING tone, is very versatile and would fit this band so much better? Bryan Beller :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #222 on: March 16, 2017, 10:21:07 AM »
Colin Edwin has the best bass tone/sound that I've ever heard. I read an interview with Joey Vera a year ago where he says the same thing. I take that as high praise.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #223 on: March 16, 2017, 10:22:27 AM »
Colin Edwin has the best bass tone/sound that I've ever heard. I read an interview with Joey Vera a year ago where he says the same thing. I take that as high praise.

Oh yea, his tone is great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #224 on: March 16, 2017, 10:24:53 AM »

I'm a bassist, and agree 100% with what you said, specially the bolded part.

Now, it isn't fair to criticize Billy without giving an example of someone who, imo, does all these things right. So, who is a prog/rock/metal bassist who has crazy good technique, knows when to stand out and when to lay back, who also has AMAZING tone, is very versatile and would fit this band so much better? Bryan Beller :metal

Bryan is awesome too. Hereīs an example of his chops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8KBvUCV6Co&list=PLJltKoeJOXNPeepHQn0Sj4bkfMh707PqN

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #225 on: March 16, 2017, 12:56:38 PM »
I've never cared for Sheehan's rock style of playing at all, and as others have said he's pretty rigid in that regard; a guitarist playing a bass. I dug the hell out of him in Niacin, though, and that suggests to me he could play quite well in a prog group, but only if he commits to not trying to be EVH for a while. I agree with others that I'd really prefer for him to not be the bass player in this gig, but I'm certainly interested in hearing him do something different for a change. Dude's too talented to keep playing the same boring stuff all the time.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #226 on: March 16, 2017, 12:59:24 PM »
The problem with having Derek Sherinian and Billy Sheehan in a project together is that they both play their instruments as if they are guitars. It was ok with PSMS because it seemed like a part of the project was giving all the players their own spotlight. If this project is going to have original music, I'd rather have a bass player who can lock in better with Portnoy. Otherwise it risks going off the rails. LTE was great partly because Tony Levin could hold it down while everyone else took off. I'm sure his background as a session player helped in that area.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #227 on: March 16, 2017, 02:08:25 PM »
I'd rather have a bass player who can lock in better with Portnoy.

I might be wrong, but as a bassist and drummer myself, I don't think Mike's approach has ever been "I should keep grooving with (insert bass player's name here) so everything sounds tight". I think he's much more concerned on the musical relationship he has with the guitarists or the other lead instrumentists he plays with. That's why most of the time his drum lines don't acknowledge what the bass part is doing, but instead he tends to overplay in an effort to make his drum parts stick out.

I find MP has never had, in my opinion, a bass/drums connection with any bassist he's played with, as good as, let's say, Peart/Lee.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #228 on: March 16, 2017, 03:07:07 PM »
I think that's maybe a criticism you can levy against DT overall. MM might be the first DT member who consciously tries to lock in with another instrument. I feel usually each instrument just does its own thing. KM even commented on that in an interview a few years ago.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #229 on: March 16, 2017, 03:35:37 PM »
In my humble opinion, Billy and MP have something very big in common which is probably why they work so well together. They both excel at the styles they play and their very own unique sound, but they're not versatile musicians in any sense of the word in a way that, for example, Virgil Donati is. Also, they both know what their respective fans expect from them and they know how to deliver them that, which is a skill hardly mastered by lots of musicians.

Billy sounds great in his Billy stuff, but I can't imagine him going out of his comfort zone; and I think that such same thing applies with MP.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #230 on: March 16, 2017, 04:03:07 PM »
I just don't want to see them in 2 bands.  I want diversity in the sound of each band.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #231 on: March 16, 2017, 04:49:52 PM »
I just don't want to see them in 2 bands.  I want diversity in the sound of each band.
MP is not the poster boy for diversity lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #232 on: March 16, 2017, 05:46:51 PM »
MP is not the poster boy for diversity lol

Well, Mike is in 3 bands with Neal Morse, so...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #233 on: March 16, 2017, 07:10:19 PM »
 :lol

Leave Neil out of it!  Well, now you know why I said that, it's the other players.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #234 on: March 16, 2017, 09:33:29 PM »
I think that's maybe a criticism you can levy against DT overall. MM might be the first DT member who consciously tries to lock in with another instrument. I feel usually each instrument just does its own thing. KM even commented on that in an interview a few years ago.

That's why Mangini's style is often seen as "simple", because he's trying to lock in with the rest of the band, as opposed to trying to come up with more in your face ideas that will make the drum parts stand out.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #235 on: March 16, 2017, 10:26:36 PM »
I've never seen Mangini's style described as simple. one of the major criticisms of him is that his playing isn't simple enough.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #236 on: March 16, 2017, 10:41:26 PM »
Pretty sure if we turn the MP thread into an MM discussion, MP will explode in rage.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: March 16, 2017, 11:26:29 PM »
50$ says this won't be the only or last time MP tours with DT songs within the next 5 years.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #238 on: March 17, 2017, 01:49:48 AM »
50$ says this won't be the only or last time MP tours with DT songs within the next 5 years.

I don't think anyone would take you up on that bet. I'm happy that he's revisiting them as long as the songs are done well. In fact, I haven't seen DT since they toured for SC, but I'm thinking about checking this out live if the material is good. I had to give away a ticket to see him with NMB a couple of months ago due to work obligations. I don't plan on missing him play live the next time I get the chance.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #239 on: March 17, 2017, 06:51:38 AM »

That's why Mangini's style is often seen as "simple", because he's trying to lock in with the rest of the band, as opposed to trying to come up with more in your face ideas that will make the drum parts stand out.

It is not humanly possible for me to disagree with this statement any more than I already do.   I get it, opinions, but when Mike left, DT went from a "first day, all albums, singles, live shit and whatever" buy, to "yeah, if I hear something I like, maybe I'll get it" buy.    And some of it was the intangible stuff, but a large part of it is that, while he's a technical monster, Mangini always seems so... jarring to me.   I wrote something like this back when ADTOE came out, and I think it's still applicable:   Mike P plays in 9/8 and it sounds like 4/4, and Mike M plays in 9/8 and it sounds like 237/96. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #240 on: March 17, 2017, 07:24:44 AM »

It is not humanly possible for me to disagree with this statement any more than I already do.   I get it, opinions, but when Mike left, DT went from a "first day, all albums, singles, live shit and whatever" buy, to "yeah, if I hear something I like, maybe I'll get it" buy.    And some of it was the intangible stuff, but a large part of it is that, while he's a technical monster, Mangini always seems so... jarring to me.   I wrote something like this back when ADTOE came out, and I think it's still applicable:   Mike P plays in 9/8 and it sounds like 4/4, and Mike M plays in 9/8 and it sounds like 237/96.

100000% agreed!!!!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #241 on: March 17, 2017, 08:00:51 AM »

What? If anything, it's MP who sounds complicated when you hear him but is actually easy to play while Mangini sounds like he's playing something basic (like in Enigma Machine) but is actually difficult.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #242 on: March 17, 2017, 10:06:43 AM »
Mike P plays in 9/8 and it sounds like 4/4, and Mike M plays in 9/8 and it sounds like 237/96.

I have been trying to figure out why I enjoy MP's drumming more than MM's. I think you nailed it for me. This is a more precise description than "MP has better groove than MM". Thanks, man.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #243 on: March 17, 2017, 10:08:40 AM »
I think both are true. True, you don't hear it directly, i.e. especially the snare and bass drum usually just follow the instruments, but when you listen and hear the complicated stuff he plays on say the cymbals, a lot of us think "impressive, but not really adding much".

Mike P plays in 9/8 and it sounds like 4/4, and Mike M plays in 9/8 and it sounds like 237/96.

I have been trying to figure out why I enjoy MP's drumming more than MM's. I think you nailed it for me. This is a more precise description than "MP has better groove than MM". Thanks, man.

You should check out Gavin Harrison's explanation of his beat in "Sound of Muzak". It's exactly that, he plays a twisted beat, but it oddly sounds straight.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:15:25 AM by rumborak »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #244 on: March 17, 2017, 10:18:13 AM »

What? If anything, it's MP who sounds complicated when you hear him but is actually easy to play while Mangini sounds like he's playing something basic (like in Enigma Machine) but is actually difficult.

I'm not at all referring to the actual difficulty of playing.  I'm not a drummer, so to me, what both of them play is "actually difficult", and besides, I find in my own playing (guitar), what I find "easy" and what another player finds "easy" are often different.  I'm just referring to the impression I get from listening.