Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305515 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #175 on: March 14, 2017, 08:48:07 PM »
Been there done that today, but that song was released in 1995. Mike Keneally has not even released an album back then and Derek was just starting with DT. Ron Thal recorded that in his parents' house's basement.  :rollin

Anyway, here is more recent output, written when his father died:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NzBGmKqDGC8

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2017, 08:54:07 PM »
That song wasn't going to be groundbreaking in 1995 either. It was just more with the times.

And how a dude wrote 20 years ago has no impact on how he writes today.

Also, Mike Portnoy......Ron Thal.........Billy Sheehan? RUSSELL ALLEN!?

Happened in 2013 if you're curious what that would sound like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhvUBm0LrRg
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2017, 10:17:54 PM »

Russell would be great, but he's in the process of creating a new AMOB album. And, please please please, no more Billy Sheehan. He's a great bassist, but he doesn't fit this genere at all. He ruined the PSMS stuff imo.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Adami

« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2017, 10:24:22 PM »

Russell would be great, but he's in the process of creating a new AMOB album. And, please please please, no more Billy Sheehan. He's a great bassist, but he doesn't fit this genere at all. He ruined the PSMS stuff imo.

Oh I know, I was just talking about that video.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2017, 10:37:12 PM »

Oh I know, I was just talking about that video.

Great you found that video, though, didn't remember it at all.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #180 on: March 14, 2017, 10:42:43 PM »
I'm with Adami that while Thal's output is very well executed, it has a strong "been there done that" feeling. The most interesting song I've heard so far ("Don't know who to pray to anymore") has a very 90s feel to it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2017, 10:59:49 PM »
BTW, people are wracking their brains about a possible singer. What about the one that sang for LTE and Planet X?

Offline Adami

« Reply #182 on: March 14, 2017, 11:01:23 PM »
BTW, people are wracking their brains about a possible singer. What about the one that sang for LTE and Planet X?

Pretty sure John Myung is busy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #183 on: March 14, 2017, 11:03:10 PM »
:lol

Seriously though, I would say there's a very good chance this might be instrumental.

Offline Adami

« Reply #184 on: March 14, 2017, 11:04:55 PM »

Seriously though, I would say there's a very good chance this might be instrumental.

Yea, I'm mostly interested in seeing who the bassist is. If he picks a standard who has chops or someone with a really cool personality in his playing.

....or her.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #185 on: March 15, 2017, 02:40:47 AM »

In the time of iPhones being able to make great videos, why do people continue recording stuff with a potato?

I hope the project is not instrumental. That's cool for like one or two albums.. but I'd really like a singer to join.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2017, 03:00:17 AM »
The deleting of post continues on Mikes board...

Someone asked What the best guess for the guitarplayer was now.

To which I replied: Not gonna put my foot in and risk getting deleted...

Now the question is deleted makig my answer look really strange  :mehlin :rollin

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #187 on: March 15, 2017, 03:29:39 AM »
The censorship is strong!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #188 on: March 15, 2017, 07:41:46 AM »

Good point, it might be. Personally I hope not, but you're right there's a good possibility it is.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #189 on: March 15, 2017, 07:44:58 AM »
Instrumental would not interest me at all. I think if they want to have a chance at wider appeal (relatively speaking), it needs vocals.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #190 on: March 15, 2017, 07:47:09 AM »

And if so, I predict now, it will be a total flop except for a handful of Dream Theater fan and uber prog people. I doubt MP would go through all that trouble to do a very niche project. But who knows.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #191 on: March 15, 2017, 07:48:32 AM »
I feel like an instrumental prog-metal group with Mike and Derek would basically just be PSMS with original tunes. That's why I'm hoping there is a vocalist, so that this is something different.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #192 on: March 15, 2017, 07:50:28 AM »
Ron Thal and Mike Portnoy on vocals.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #193 on: March 15, 2017, 08:35:51 AM »

And if so, I predict now, it will be a total flop except for a handful of Dream Theater fan and uber prog people. I doubt MP would go through all that trouble to do a very niche project. But who knows.
Agreed.  I would likely buy it, but with lukewarm interest.

That 2013 NAMM video is cool, by the way.  It's pretty neat seeing accomplished players messing around and being so loose and so tight at the same time. 

But in any case, as we continue to speculate about who the players will be, just keep in mind that there is no shortage of talent out there in the music world.  I have no doubt that whoever Mike pulled in will have serious chops.  And while there are plenty of examples of talented individuals coming together to make music that somehow doesn't manage to gel, Mike does have a pretty good track record in terms of quality output when he has a fair degree of creative control.  It isn't a "spotless" record, but it's pretty darned good.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 08:48:39 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #194 on: March 15, 2017, 09:04:54 AM »
I think an instrumental project would be a huge mistake.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #195 on: March 15, 2017, 09:26:38 AM »

I think it's a matter of intent. If he just wants a fun project with some people he wants to make music with again, instrumental is fine. If he wants this to be a financially stable thing with a stronger future, then I absolutely think he needs a vocalist.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline tofee35

« Reply #196 on: March 15, 2017, 10:05:53 AM »
It would be really cool if, for this project, he didn't hand pick a bunch of guys that are in existing bands. There are plenty of session guys with the chops and talent to play at this level... guys that haven't found their niche or band yet. It would be really interesting to hear MP with some really talented guys who haven't had a voice yet.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #197 on: March 15, 2017, 10:06:50 AM »

Yes, with Derek onboard, it might get compared to Planet X. Which has come out with pretty good albums and actually became a showcase for Virgil Donati's superdrummer abilities.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #198 on: March 15, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »

Now the question is deleted makig my answer look really strange  :mehlin :rollin

I wonder if MP actually takes time to go through every post to see which ones violate his rule of "I'm the only one who can post info about this, if you do, I'll block you".

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #199 on: March 15, 2017, 11:10:00 AM »
I love MP but the fact that he still doesn't seem to understand how the internet works boggles my mind. I think he means well but he really comes off bad in a lot of these situations. Kinds reminds of people who take naked pictures of themselves and then freak out when they get leaked. What the hell do they expect is going to happen?

This will be a pass for me if it's instrumental.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #200 on: March 15, 2017, 11:11:59 AM »
Kinds reminds of people who take naked pictures of themselves and then freak out when they get leaked. What the hell do they expect is going to happen?

Well, first off, that's something COMPLETELY different. This would be a whole different situation had someone hacked into Mike's phone, stole the video, and posted it without his consent.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #201 on: March 15, 2017, 11:14:38 AM »

Yes, with Derek onboard, it might get compared to Planet X. Which has come out with pretty good albums and actually became a showcase for Virgil Donati's superdrummer abilities.

I definitely agree on that point. I feel PlanetX was so out there in terms of skill, it would be pointless to tread that same ground, because frankly MP would fall short in that comparison anyway. He had to massively simplify that Planet X tune when they played it live.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #202 on: March 15, 2017, 03:01:37 PM »
All of this talk of Bumblefoot, for some reason, reminded me of the fact that Buckethead was in Guns N' Roses for awhile in 2000-2002 and Bumblefoot joined in about 2006.

I only mentioned that because I think it would be kind of funny to have Buckethead in MP's band because that dynamic would be funny to me. I've heard before that Buckethead is not easy to deal with, so I don't think it would go too well, but maybe the end result would be good.

Buckethead's great, one of my favorite players.  I used to have the entire Chinese Democracy album with all of BH's solos intact before they replaced parts with Bumble, and it was better than what ended up being released.  He's an odd guy but a brilliant player musician.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #203 on: March 15, 2017, 03:13:03 PM »
I wish Buckethead did more band projects, but unfortunately he seems to have really isolated himself the past couple years.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #204 on: March 15, 2017, 03:29:32 PM »

It amuses me that on Mike's own board you can't discuss his past band or his present band, but only the ones middle ones, and I'm not even sure all of those are fair game. Bosk should change the rules here so that we can discuss Petrucci, Myung and Kevin Moore, but Mangini, JLB and Rudess are all off limits. Portnoy and Sherinian can be discussed on odd/even days, but only he knows which is which.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #205 on: March 15, 2017, 05:01:21 PM »
All of this talk of Bumblefoot, for some reason, reminded me of the fact that Buckethead was in Guns N' Roses for awhile in 2000-2002 and Bumblefoot joined in about 2006.

I only mentioned that because I think it would be kind of funny to have Buckethead in MP's band because that dynamic would be funny to me. I've heard before that Buckethead is not easy to deal with, so I don't think it would go too well, but maybe the end result would be good.

Buckethead's great, one of my favorite players.  I used to have the entire Chinese Democracy album with all of BH's solos intact before they replaced parts with Bumble, and it was better than what ended up being released.  He's an odd guy but a brilliant player musician.

Holy crap.  You USED TO have that?  Man, I didn't know such a thing existed.  Would kill to hear that.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #206 on: March 15, 2017, 05:39:33 PM »

Holy crap.  You USED TO have that?  Man, I didn't know such a thing existed.  Would kill to hear that.

Yeah, I would to.  Lost them in a computer crash, and something happened to the backup discs.  There were different leaks, including some instrumental demos.  I know Shackler's Revenge was one that had a totally different solo on it than on the actual album, and that's one I've never been able to find again.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #207 on: March 15, 2017, 06:11:13 PM »

It amuses me that on Mike's own board you can't discuss his past band or his present band, but only the ones middle ones, and I'm not even sure all of those are fair game. Bosk should change the rules here so that we can discuss Petrucci, Myung and Kevin Moore, but Mangini, JLB and Rudess are all off limits. Portnoy and Sherinian can be discussed on odd/even days, but only he knows which is which.

:lol :lol :lol

Let's sum him up:

-Loves social media.
-Gets overly defensive about any criticism or perceived slight.
-His hardcore fans are apologetic to the point of being almost scary.
-Loves to talk and say anything under the guise of "telling it like it is" and/or "setting the facts straight."

Wait, are we talking about Mike Portnoy or Donald Trump?

:eek :eek :eek

:lol :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #208 on: March 15, 2017, 06:17:43 PM »

Yeah, I would to.  Lost them in a computer crash, and something happened to the backup discs.  There were different leaks, including some instrumental demos.  I know Shackler's Revenge was one that had a totally different solo on it than on the actual album, and that's one I've never been able to find again.

Kind of weird Bumble does solos on the few songs Buckethead wrote. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #209 on: March 15, 2017, 06:23:10 PM »
Perhaps he has to pay a fee or something, which is likely what DT had to do when they took the albums covers of the full albums they covered and altered them a bit.