Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305471 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2017, 10:17:16 PM »
Bumblefoot, Buckethead, WTF is this? And I thought Zachy Savage or whatever the A7X guys are called were stupid.

I'm still waiting for the bass player to be Stumblebum.

Fun fact: I was reading up on Iron Maiden for some reason and found out there actually is a guy in existence who calls himself Thunderstick. 

Maybe they could replace Portnoy with Thunderstick. 

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2017, 11:11:44 PM »
Bumblefoot, Buckethead, WTF is this? And I thought Zachy Savage or whatever the A7X guys are called were stupid.

In fairness to Ron Thal, he initially did not go by the Bumblefoot name. I guess the name stuck because he became an overnight sensation in the guitar instrumental community after he released his debut album, The Adventures of Bumblefoot.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #142 on: March 14, 2017, 01:47:18 AM »
Buckethead is also a very prolific songwriter (he has something like 60 albums) who would not be happy with not having a lot of creative control.
I think you mean 60 albums a day. He just released his 285th album last week  :lol

Damn you weren't kidding  :omg: :omg: :omg:
any rock can be made to roll

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: March 14, 2017, 08:23:47 AM »
Yeaaaah, but let's be honest, the vast majority of those albums are "guitar noodlings of the day".
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #144 on: March 14, 2017, 09:10:25 AM »
Buckethead vs Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

the contest on who can release more albums in a lifetime.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2017, 11:51:13 AM »
Yeaaaah, but let's be honest, the vast majority of those albums are "guitar noodlings of the day".

Exactly. We're the technology available to Hendrix, EVH etc that would allow them to record and mix right there on the spot they'd have done the same. "Writing" and recording an album these days is pretty friggin simple. I could do it with a couple neighbors.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2017, 11:57:30 AM »
The obvious big selling point of this band is going to be the vocalist and the songwriter. If so far, your main songwriters (music) are Derek and (assuming the thing we are talking about is true) Bumblefoot, that leaves me underwhelmed. But again, Bumble could surprise and slay, and I like Derek as a songwriter. So that leaves the big thing -- who is singing. I'm really curious if MP does the expected. I hope he does, and I hope the guy slays (would be a real interesting move if he went with a frontwoman).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2017, 11:59:02 AM »
The obvious big selling point of this band is going to be the vocalist and the songwriter. If so far, your main songwriters (music) are Derek and (assuming the thing we are talking about is true) Bumblefoot, that leaves me underwhelmed. But again, Bumble could surprise and slay, and I like Derek as a songwriter. So that leaves the big thing -- who is singing. I'm really curious if MP does the expected. I hope he does, and I hope the guy slays (would be a real interesting move if he went with a frontwoman).

This is kinda where I am with this whole thing. I look forward to the reveal of the singer, that will be really interesting.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2017, 12:00:16 PM »
I worked out that id written, recorded and released 15 albums of original material since 2006.

A lot of those are only 30 minutes long - but still.

It shouldn't take a band like TOOL 11 years and counting to come up with 75 minutes of music.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2017, 12:15:18 PM »
I only saw him once with GnR, in one of the Rock in Rio editions. He put on a stormtrooper mask, but missed a bunch of notes to the point of embarass,ent, and started playing well when he took it off. It was embarassing. But when he´s "serious" about his playing, he´s really good - at least from the YouTube videos I´ve seen.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2017, 12:18:13 PM »
I don't want to jump to any conclusions yet, even about the songwriting.  I mean, we know Derek has writing chops.  And he can play and compose on both keyboard and guitar.  I have no idea what Thal's writing skills are like.  But I also don't know that he is the sole guitar player.  There might be another.  And whoever is on bass or guitar may also be a prolific writer.  We just don't know at this point.  I'm trying to just not have any preconceived notions.  Except for the fact that most true progressive metal does little for me and generally leaves me cold, outside of a handful of bands (DT, modern FW, Redemption).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2017, 12:19:03 PM »
I thought it was pretty obvious that MP was single handedly writing every song?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2017, 12:20:24 PM »
I worked out that id written, recorded and released 15 albums of original material since 2006.

It shouldn't take a band like TOOL 11 years and counting to come up with 75 minutes of music.

Hasn't TOOL, or at least Maynard all but admitted through various interviews that the sole reason they record and/or tour is financial? That there's no love of music or passion influencing them. Heck, I remember reading an interview where he rips on fans for being fans.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2017, 12:42:14 PM »
I don't want to jump to any conclusions yet, even about the songwriting.  I mean, we know Derek has writing chops.  And he can play and compose on both keyboard and guitar.  I have no idea what Thal's writing skills are like.  But I also don't know that he is the sole guitar player.  There might be another.  And whoever is on bass or guitar may also be a prolific writer.  We just don't know at this point.  I'm trying to just not have any preconceived notions.  Except for the fact that most true progressive metal does little for me and generally leaves me cold, outside of a handful of bands (DT, modern FW, Redemption).

Whether you like his music or not is one thing, but he has chops.  He's got, what, ten albums or so, and as I understand it, he's done a lot with TV and ad jingles and theme music.   

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2017, 12:42:53 PM »

Hasn't TOOL, or at least Maynard all but admitted through various interviews that the sole reason they record and/or tour is financial? That there's no love of music or passion influencing them. Heck, I remember reading an interview where he rips on fans for being fans.

Wouldn't shock me.

If you loved to create - you wouldn't have done nothing for 11 years.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2017, 12:55:43 PM »
re: TOOL -- that is a weird band. I love the music, but it has been 11 years. I know there was a huge lawsuit impeding them, but I thought (could be wrong) it was settled a couple years ago. If they were serious about putting out music, you would think they would have by now.

re: bosk1 comments on Portnoy group -- yeah, you're on there. But it's hard to not expect it to be SOMETHING. Derek absolutely can write (his solo albums are awesome). But like you, I have no Bumblefoot writing knowledge. I am sure he can, but I don't really recall anything he's ever done being more than a blip on a radar screen (and that was his involvement with GnR). So I am hoping, if he IS part of this group, he either has been holding back for years in the writing department, or there's someone else, guitar player-wise that compliments him and is a killer songwriter.

But the vocals...the vocals. MP has to get that right. If he doesn't, this band will sink before it even releases a record.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2017, 12:58:30 PM »
I have no Bumblefoot writing knowledge. I am sure he can, but I don't really recall anything he's ever done being more than a blip on a radar screen (and that was his involvement with GnR).

He wrote the theme to THAT METAL SHOW.    :metal

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

:biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2017, 01:14:24 PM »
re: bosk1 comments on Portnoy group -- yeah, you're on there. But it's hard to not expect it to be SOMETHING.

Yeah, I know.  But when I hear MP, I simultaneously have two separate reactions:  (1) "It's Mike.  And it's metal.  That reminds me of DT, so it's bound to be really good!"  And (2) "It's 'progressive metal,' so that means I'll probably spend some time with it trying to justify why I should like it, and I'll ultimately just realize that I don't."  Those are my two knee-jerk reactions.  And, to be fair, both of them are unfair reactions, and neither one of them may be right.  And that thought process just highlights to me why having expectations going in just isn't really fair or productive.  And notwithstanding that I think Mike was WAY off base about his response to fans figuring out that Thal is in this, I get where he is coming from and think it is motivated by him not wanting people to form preconceived notions before hearing the music.  And especially knowing his fan base, I think that's valid.

But the vocals...the vocals. MP has to get that right. If he doesn't, this band will sink before it even releases a record.

Yeah, I agree.  But I think my conception of getting the vocals "right" may be a bit broader than yours.  I've broadened my perspective a lot of the years about vocals, just because of exposure to bands doing vocal styles that I didn't think I would like, but have come to appreciate.  And some of that is in connection with projects Mike has worked on.  And don't get me wrong--I would love for him to get the next Russell Allen.  But as long as the vocalist has the chops to pull of vocals that fit the music, that's the right call.  It doesn't necessarily have to be someone who belts like James in his prime, or Russell.  But it can't be someone like the guy from Haken either. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2017, 03:02:39 PM »
re: TOOL -- that is a weird band. I love the music, but it has been 11 years. I know there was a huge lawsuit impeding them, but I thought (could be wrong) it was settled a couple years ago. If they were serious about putting out music, you would think they would have by now.

Well, Maynard has continued to be very prolific. Not his fault Tool fans aren't interested - and are sometimes outright dismissive - of the type of material he has been putting out. As for the rest of the guys - who knows.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2017, 03:27:57 PM »

False. I USED to think that but really delved in when he had his $2 per album sale. It seems about a quarter of what hes done is beautiful mellow stuff. Another quarter is awesome rock/metal stuff. There is also a fair mix of straight up shredding, funk, and even albums where he just makes noise for 30 minutes. So i could do without half his stuff but the other half is excellent.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2017, 03:52:11 PM »
What if he gets Gildenlöw? He's a great singer and he has writing skills. Of course, DG is busy with his own band right now.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Adami

« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2017, 03:54:20 PM »
What if he gets Gildenlöw? He's a great singer and he has writing skills. Of course, DG is busy with his own band right now.

I'd only want Gildenlow if DG was fully enthusiastic about it and had at least 50% creative control.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2017, 04:30:00 PM »
Geddy Lee
MP
Bumblefoot
Derek
Gildenlow

I'd pay good money to see this lineup play ANYTHING. Release an album of Bieber covers for all I care.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2017, 04:56:42 PM »
That are the odds that its Ted Leonard on Vox?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2017, 05:03:47 PM »
Definitely somewhere between 0 and 100%.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: March 14, 2017, 05:12:38 PM »

:o You have insider knowledge ?!?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #166 on: March 14, 2017, 05:17:48 PM »

If MP wanted that info out there, he would've posted it himself. Aren't you paying attention?

You're going to cause another bolded angry message!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2017, 05:49:03 PM »

False. I USED to think that but really delved in when he had his $2 per album sale. It seems about a quarter of what hes done is beautiful mellow stuff. Another quarter is awesome rock/metal stuff. There is also a fair mix of straight up shredding, funk, and even albums where he just makes noise for 30 minutes. So i could do without half his stuff but the other half is excellent.

This. Tons of variety in those albums. Also a lot of them are noodly, but a surprising amount of them seem well crafted and composed.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online The Letter M

« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2017, 05:50:07 PM »
That are the odds that its Ted Leonard on Vox?

I'd be down for that. I liked his work with his previous prog metal super group Affector, so I could hear him on something like this, which oddly enough featured Neal Morse's other live drummer from his European Band tour days (before Mike and Randy started touring with him), as well as keyboards from Neal himself and Derek Sherinian.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2017, 05:56:48 PM »
If Ted is involved, I'd be on top of that like Jackie on a jackalope movie starring Nick Cage.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2017, 05:57:51 PM »
Ted is from the West Coast, so I'd love to see that be the case.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Adami

« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2017, 05:58:12 PM »

Dude! Spoilers!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2017, 07:26:22 PM »

If MP wanted that info out there, he would've posted it himself. Aren't you paying attention?

You're going to cause another bolded angry message!

Don't MAKE him BLOCK you.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2017, 08:01:48 PM »

Ron Thal can write. Here is an example:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcjq5I0egOI

He's more of in the Mike Keneally / Steve Vai school of quirky songwriting, but I think he could work well with Derek.

And he can sing:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DnLBEiLOSCc
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:31:02 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline Adami

« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2017, 08:35:38 PM »
I mean, I think we all knew has has written and he also does some singing, the question we were asking was can he write well enough and strong enough to make this band something we all care about.

That clip you showed for his writing doesn't do much to inspire me. It's not bad at all, it's just very.......been there done that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com