Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305501 times)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2017, 01:22:11 PM »
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 01:43:27 PM by Metropolaris »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2017, 01:24:54 PM »
People dismissing a project when they haven't heard a single not yet...I'll never understand that  :\

Who dismissed it?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2017, 01:37:34 PM »
Does anyone else think that Bumblefoot is overrated? Also, isn't he in that band with Scott Stapp now? Honestly if he is the primary guitar player then my level of excitement for this has decreased.

Not at all. Ron Thal is a very good guitarist and very creative at that.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2017, 01:38:03 PM »
People dismissing a project when they haven't heard a single not yet...I'll never understand that  :\

Who dismissed it?
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2017, 01:40:02 PM »

Who dismissed it?

Referring to this:

Does anyone else think that Bumblefoot is overrated? Also, isn't he in that band with Scott Stapp now? Honestly if he is the primary guitar player then my level of excitement for this has decreased.

Maybe dismissed wasn't the right word, my bad, but at least wait until we hear a single or something before passing judgement on a brand new project. I'll admit Bumblefoot doesn't impress me but I'm definitely interested in hearing how he sounds in this kind of setting.

Online Adami

« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2017, 01:42:37 PM »
Sure, but his excitement can decrease.

If a guitarist you didn't care for was announced, you'd probably be a little less excited too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2017, 01:46:20 PM »
It was an unnecessary comment. Apologies. :angel:

Online Adami

« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2017, 01:47:10 PM »

We don't take kindly to unnecessary comments round these parts!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Art

« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2017, 01:48:41 PM »
The only thing i heard by Bumblefoot is GnR. I have no idea what to expect from him.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2017, 01:49:13 PM »

We don't take kindly to unnecessary comments round these parts!
:emo:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2017, 01:59:49 PM »
Taking it out on his fanbase because they are curious is not really a good move IMO. It's obviously not been hard to find these leaks so really his anger is aimed in the wrong direction. If Bumblefoot released a press statement then it seems daft to get frustrated that his fans then shared this or whatever  :lol
It also seems pretty counter-intuitive to me.

>posts teases to get people excited
>people get excited enough to dig into what's been teased to work out who the guitarist probably is
>gets annoyed at fans for getting too excited

Seems to me the excited reaction it generated is exactly what Mike would surely have wanted, even if it meant accidentally revealing the guitarist earlier than planned.

*shrug*

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2017, 02:01:44 PM »
I think that aspect makes it so hilarious, at least to me. I mean, who gives a flying hoot about the exact date when musician X is announced. What matters is the music.

No shit.  I mean, maybe Bumblefoot isn't officially in the band yet.  Just say so.  Is this a Derek & Mike led project and they're still figuring out who the rest will be?  Just say so.  Perhaps Bumblefoot is one of 7 world class guitarists auditioning for the band and they're making a documentary about the selection process in which case Eddie Trunk will just leak who it is.  Just kidding.  Eddie would never do that to his friend.  Only to his friend's ex-band.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2017, 02:05:51 PM »
Taking it out on his fanbase because they are curious is not really a good move IMO. It's obviously not been hard to find these leaks so really his anger is aimed in the wrong direction. If Bumblefoot released a press statement then it seems daft to get frustrated that his fans then shared this or whatever  :lol
It also seems pretty counter-intuitive to me.

>posts teases to get people excited
>people get excited enough to dig into what's been teased to work out who the guitarist probably is
>gets annoyed at fans for getting too excited

Seems to me the excited reaction it generated is exactly what Mike would surely have wanted, even if it meant accidentally revealing the guitarist earlier than planned.

*shrug*

Exactly, you can't have it both ways. If you want to tease your fans to get them excited you can't get angry when they unearth some new info you didn't actually want them to know about  :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2017, 02:59:05 PM »
I don't know much about Ron Thal, but I searched on youtube some music from "the adventures of Bumblefoot" and my first impression was good. I found it very interesting, instrumental songs, not too metal, but with cool Zappa influences, without being too crazy.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2017, 03:22:10 PM »
re: Bumblefoot -- wouldn't surprise me at all. NYC guy, MP probably knows him well, Art of Anarchy is just getting started, and very different than progressive metal.

That said, if it WAS him, I'd be a tad disappointed. However, they could be auditioning guitarists too. I think MP's reaction probably has had the opposite effect that he wanted. Because of his outburst, he has people thinking it IS Bumble, as opposed to one guy. Who knows, maybe there's two guitarists in the band. Something JP said he'd never do with DT, but maybe Mike would do it.

Long story short -- MP overreacted (shocker), Bumblefoot may be in the band, and hey, dude can play. Not sure if he can really write songs, but he can play. For me personally, it wouldn't be what I wanted to see/hear, but I'm looking forward to the album info this summer.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Adami

« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2017, 03:44:07 PM »
Has MP ever been in a band with two full time guitarists? (As in not someone who occasionally plays like Casey)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2017, 03:48:17 PM »
Regarding Ron Thal, I think he is an incredibly skilled guitarist. His own stuff is quirky (which is good) but never exciting, but this might be one of those cases where maybe the influence of the other guys adds some new angle.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2017, 03:50:04 PM »
Has MP ever been in a band with two full time guitarists? (As in not someone who occasionally plays like Casey)
Do you count him being "in" A7X or Twisted Sister?  Adrenaline Mob initially had two.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2017, 03:56:05 PM »
I'm going to say no to bands he subbed for.

Wasn't sure how many guitarists TA have.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2017, 03:57:05 PM »
Wasn't sure how many guitarists TA have.

Same is NM Band--one "full-time" guitarist, with Neal often subbing in on guitar as well.

So I guess the answer to your question is, no, he hasn't been in a band with 2 guitarists where he was somewhat in control of the band or involved in the writing.  But he has played in a handful of bands with 2 guitarists, so it isn't totally foreign to him.  But not sure that really advances the ball in terms of whether he will have 2 (or more) guitarists in this new band. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2017, 04:30:29 PM »
Almost all his bands have only one (main) guitarist, so he decided to try something different and got 3 for TSF  :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online The Letter M

« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2017, 04:32:59 PM »
By the wording of the Twitter DM that was posted earlier in this thread, it seems like this new project will feature ONLY ONE guitarist, so if isn't Bumblefoot, then he's not in it at all.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2017, 04:35:40 PM »
I was going to point out earlier that his use of the singular might seem to indicate that.  But we can't say that is the case for certain, as he is keeping things intentionally vague. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2017, 04:40:17 PM »
I listened to a quick sampling of Bumblefoot's solo work. Not too bad. Some people say his playing is more rock than metal... and some people seem to think he isn't going to be up to snuff..

Well look at DS after he left Dream Theater. He wound up going from kinda meh (I love his playing but he wasn't super duper technical) to "holy shit" in the Planet X stuff.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2017, 05:50:02 PM »
I just realized this: Geddy and Alex are available... are you guys thinking what I'm thinking?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #130 on: March 13, 2017, 06:15:04 PM »
I think that aspect makes it so hilarious, at least to me. I mean, who gives a flying hoot about the exact date when musician X is announced. What matters is the music.

:tup :tup

I just realized this: Geddy and Alex are available... are you guys thinking what I'm thinking?

No.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2017, 07:07:41 PM »
Never have a followed a thread so closely for an artist/band whose music I have no interest in. Keep it up guys!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2017, 07:15:26 PM »
All of this talk of Bumblefoot, for some reason, reminded me of the fact that Buckethead was in Guns N' Roses for awhile in 2000-2002 and Bumblefoot joined in about 2006.

I only mentioned that because I think it would be kind of funny to have Buckethead in MP's band because that dynamic would be funny to me. I've heard before that Buckethead is not easy to deal with, so I don't think it would go too well, but maybe the end result would be good.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2017, 07:21:49 PM »
Bumblefoot, Buckethead, WTF is this? And I thought Zachy Savage or whatever the A7X guys are called were stupid.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2017, 07:30:11 PM »
All of this talk of Bumblefoot, for some reason, reminded me of the fact that Buckethead was in Guns N' Roses for awhile in 2000-2002 and Bumblefoot joined in about 2006.

I only mentioned that because I think it would be kind of funny to have Buckethead in MP's band because that dynamic would be funny to me. I've heard before that Buckethead is not easy to deal with, so I don't think it would go too well, but maybe the end result would be good.

Buckethead is also a very prolific songwriter (he has something like 60 albums) who would not be happy with not having a lot of creative control.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2017, 07:31:23 PM »
Buckethead does 60 albums a month  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2017, 07:38:47 PM »
Buckethead is also a very prolific songwriter (he has something like 60 albums) who would not be happy with not having a lot of creative control.
I think you mean 60 albums a day. He just released his 285th album last week  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2017, 08:31:49 PM »
Bumblefoot, Buckethead, WTF is this? And I thought Zachy Savage or whatever the A7X guys are called were stupid.

I'm still waiting for the bass player to be Stumblebum.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2017, 08:35:11 PM »
I wonder if Bumblefoot ever took a Slash in Buckethead's bucket.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2017, 08:38:53 PM »
I wonder if Bumblefoot ever took a Slash in Buckethead's bucket.

Yeah, probably made him Dizzy in his Izzy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol