Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305474 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2017, 12:15:40 AM »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2017, 12:36:00 AM »
I will disembowel you with a spoon

Online Adami

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2017, 12:39:33 AM »
Yes please!

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2017, 12:54:17 AM »
It's almost surreal to see someone so proud of his interaction with fans continue to show such contempt for them.  It's like he has no respect for any fan who doesn't march to the beat of everything he says and does.

The ironicc thing is that MP is the most active among DT (and ex-DT) members in social media but he seems to be the one who does not know how social media works. Just compare how he is handling the secrecy of this project to the way DT handled the secrecy of The Astonishing.

Online Adami

« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2017, 12:56:58 AM »
It's almost surreal to see someone so proud of his interaction with fans continue to show such contempt for them.  It's like he has no respect for any fan who doesn't march to the beat of everything he says and does.

The ironicc thing is that MP is the most active among DT (and ex-DT) members in social media but he seems to be the one who does not know how social media works. Just compare how he is handling the secrecy of this project to the way DT handled the secrecy of The Astonishing.

DT didn't handle it great either though. They had basically complete silence till the point where a good amount of people were losing interest.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2017, 01:12:52 AM »

DT didn't handle it great either though. They had basically complete silence till the point where a good amount of people were losing interest.

Yes, but I was talking more about how to handle the leakage of information in social media. In terms of drumming up interest, it's a different story.

Online Adami

« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2017, 01:15:01 AM »
Oh, I gotcha. Yea, I don't remember any leaks until possibly the very end.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2017, 01:16:54 AM »
Oh dear. While the bashing may or may not be fair, it does get old quite quickly and it's always the same people, too.

Anyway, I found myself checking out Bumblefoot's last solo release yesterday, Little Brother is Watching, in light of the possibility he's involved in MP's project. Have to say, I was quite impressed although it was more rock than I expected. Does anyone know if he's ever played metal before?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2017, 02:21:57 AM »
Mike:

"The only things that CAN be confirmed and announced so far are the few things I have posted on MY social media...anything else from anywhere else is just "rumor and speculation" so far... "

No, anything else is a video posted by someone who works in the studio that had a split second frame of the guitarist. It's not that someone figured out the studio and stalked it out, seeing who's coming and going, or that anyone broke into the studio, hacked a personal and private account... someone in the studio messed up. He should have admitted it, I understand his point, and he's to admire for the attention to details and building up the excitement (I remember him saying that the downloads were not annoying for the financial side, but more for the spoiling of the surprise, he wanted DT fans to have the same experience of the new album at the same time), but it's so hard to just say "I know someone posted a video that started speculation, please, those of you who didn't see the video or got hold of the clues just don't spoil the surprise for those who don't even know such a video existed"?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2017, 02:27:36 AM »
Maybe Bumblefoot isn't in the band yet?

Maybe Mike and Derek are jamming with multiple guys to see who works out. That would be the only way I can see why MP would get so angry at the info coming out.

This is actually a very good point!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2017, 03:03:06 AM »

Maybe Mike and Derek are jamming with multiple guys to see who works out. That would be the only way I can see why MP would get so angry at the info coming out.

Yeah I've thought about that too, or maybe Bumblefoot has a small guest spot or something. It's possible he's not 'the guitarist'. Worst thing would be that the clip was from a sort of audition or jam, and he didn't make the band.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2017, 04:21:57 AM »

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2017, 04:23:56 AM »

Yeah I've thought about that too, or maybe Bumblefoot has a small guest spot or something. It's possible he's not 'the guitarist'. Worst thing would be that the clip was from a sort of audition or jam, and he didn't make the band.

Very good point. If that is so, I wonder to what extent it may decide MP not to have Ron Thal as a guitarist finally even if it was initially decided it would be him.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2017, 04:27:05 AM »
BREAKING NEWS :

MP decides to fire the camera that took the photo in the studio. Poor guy wasn't prepared as he was envisioning a career in rock photographing.

Should I have written in green?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2017, 04:37:53 AM »
Firing a camera is a bit extreme.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2017, 04:38:59 AM »
I haven't listened to any of MP's post DT stuff at all (excluding Nightmare by A7X I suppose). I might check out this 'supergroup', or I might not, either way though this is all  :corn :corn :corn

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2017, 06:03:58 AM »
I wonder if this will be a "Prog Allegiance" kind of thing, with a revolving door of musicians with every song. That might be why he doesn't want the news about Bumblefoot coming out because he's not the only guitarist involved and he doesnt want people to think that.
Derek said he was spending 10 days in the studio, so I think they've written the bulk of the music now and are gonna record the rest of the guest appearances over the next few months, hence why he doesn't want to announce a lineup yet. He doesn't know who else will/will not be involved.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2017, 06:24:44 AM »
Yeah all it needed was

" : ) oops!!! Someone was a bit camera happy in the studio !!

Close call !! But keep guessing !! : ) "

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2017, 08:59:42 AM »
This thread is awesome.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2017, 09:07:59 AM »
I think you guys are being way too harsh on Mike.   Seriously. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2017, 09:56:01 AM »

Thanks for posting it here! I'll remove it from my dropbox now  :tup

I wonder if this will be a "Prog Allegiance" kind of thing, with a revolving door of musicians with every song. That might be why he doesn't want the news about Bumblefoot coming out because he's not the only guitarist involved and he doesnt want people to think that.
Derek said he was spending 10 days in the studio, so I think they've written the bulk of the music now and are gonna record the rest of the guest appearances over the next few months, hence why he doesn't want to announce a lineup yet. He doesn't know who else will/will not be involved.

I don't think so. On the pic I shared (and Kotowboy posted) Mike said "we have NOT announced our guitar player", he didn't say players or anything like that. I think Bumblefoot is the guitarist for the band, just that MP is overreacting with the leaks here, as he clearly wants people to know these things when HE decides it's time to.  Also, a "prog allegiance" band would make me lose my interest in this album, seriously  :-\

Also, as a fun fact, Bumblefoot played a couple guest solos on Jordan's cover album The Road Home, a few years ago.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2017, 10:03:24 AM »

I wouldn't say so. I think it is valid for him to be pissed or annoyed if things leak before he wants them to but I can't say I agree with the way he is going about it. Taking it out on his fanbase because they are curious is not really a good move IMO. It's obviously not been hard to find these leaks so really his anger is aimed in the wrong direction. If Bumblefoot released a press statement then it seems daft to get frustrated that his fans then shared this or whatever  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2017, 12:13:57 PM »
On the contrary, compared to some of the stuff I've seen thrown his way over the years, this was less than I expected.  :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2017, 12:16:06 PM »
Compared to some of the stuff he has thrown our way, this is pretty mild.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2017, 12:16:56 PM »
Compared to some of the stuff he has thrown our way, this is pretty mild.
Indeed  :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2017, 12:19:02 PM »
And of course, we are under no obligation to take anything down that has been posted here.  That isn't to say I might not consider it.  But

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2017, 12:22:34 PM »
Take caution in your tone, Commander. I'm a fair guy, but this fucking heat is making me absolutely crazy.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2017, 12:27:53 PM »
I personally think this whole event was rather bumbled by Mike, and he stuck a foot in his mouth.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2017, 12:31:19 PM »
I personally think this whole event was rather bumbled by Mike, and he stuck a foot in his mouth.

I see what you did thare. Good joke! :lol

B.Lee

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2017, 12:31:28 PM »

:clap:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2017, 12:31:46 PM »
lol

But it is what it is.  Hopefully the rest of his rollout will go smoothly.  And, of course, what matters most is how good the music is.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2017, 12:53:24 PM »
I think that aspect makes it so hilarious, at least to me. I mean, who gives a flying hoot about the exact date when musician X is announced. What matters is the music.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2017, 01:11:40 PM »
Does anyone else think that Bumblefoot is overrated? Also, isn't he in that band with Scott Stapp now? Honestly if he is the primary guitar player then my level of excitement for this has decreased.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2017, 01:12:23 PM »
Overrated? Not even.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD