Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305584 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #2800 on: September 22, 2017, 06:45:44 PM »
Misunderstood is a top 3 DT song for me as well

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2801 on: September 22, 2017, 06:46:31 PM »
This is not Sons of Apollo related, but it's Portnoy related.  I was just reading a Q&A with him in Prog magazine's May issue, and I was shocked to learn that his wife hates prog.  They asked him if he's ever been on a "prog date."  He said...

"I've been with my wife for 27 years and she hates prog.  If I'm playing with Avenged Sevenfold she loves it, but Transatlantic?  No.  I've never been able to convert her to the prog side."
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:58:55 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2802 on: September 22, 2017, 06:52:16 PM »
This is not Sons of Apollo related, but it's Portnoy related.  I was just reading a Q&A with him in Prog magazine's May issue, and I was shocked to learn that his wife hates prog.  They asked him if he's ever been on a "prog date."  He said...

"I've been wife my wife for 27 years and she hates prog.  If I'm playing with Avenged Sevenfold she loves it, but Transatlantic?  No.  I've never been able to convert her to the prog side."

Yeah, she's more into the metal side of music. She loved Adrenaline Mob's Omerta, and considered it the best thing MP had ever done. Each to their own, of course. I actually enjoy Omerta for what it is, and I can see how metal fans would love it, but frankly I'd be a bit disheartened if I played my wife Octavarium followed by Undaunted and she said I ought to be exploring the latter more. But I'm really not much of a metal fan.

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #2803 on: September 22, 2017, 08:32:29 PM »
I remember that when AMob was starting out. I'm obviously not going to say anything negative about her, so if it comes out that way I apologize. But I remember AMob wasn't well received on his forum, and she posted (which she used to do a lot more of way back when, and hadn't regularly in a long time), basically saying that it wasn't surprising that we prog fans don't like it, but real metalheads were loving "the mob." Which if I remember right I think I was listening to an old Pantera album at the time, or something a "metalhead" would listen to (while I don't care for bands like TA). But I get it, just as MP and every other artist has to say whatever they're releasing is their best ever work, she had the same role.

What hits me more is MP's "if you have an open mind you'll love this band." Again, this band is RIGHT in the wheel house of the majority of boards I post on, at least as far as genre goes. He's not exactly going into a baptist church and asking them to consider the teachings of the Buddha. Blaming reception on fans being jaded just doesn't sit with me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2804 on: September 23, 2017, 10:34:14 AM »
I think he just expects fans to just grab every single thing he spoon feeds them.  I remember him being dismayed at some fans saying they didn't know about the Neal Morse Band album or tour earlier this year, almost like, "I recommended it! How can you not know about it??"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2805 on: September 23, 2017, 10:42:22 AM »
You're not a tr00 fan unless you keep tabs on him and social media all the time :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #2806 on: September 23, 2017, 10:47:47 AM »
You're not a tr00 fan unless you keep tabs on him and social media all the time :)

Pretty much. I know there are questions that people keep asking that have been answered but he responds to that stuff in such a condescending way. Dude, just ignore them! He loves social media and that's fine but he seems to use it as a way to bitch about his fans way too much. Step back. It'd be better for everyone.

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #2807 on: September 23, 2017, 10:52:34 AM »

Pretty much. I know there are questions that people keep asking that have been answered but he responds to that stuff in such a condescending way. Dude, just ignore them! He loves social media and that's fine but he seems to use it as a way to bitch about his fans way too much. Step back. It'd be better for everyone.

At least he only bitches about his fans in social media, and hasn't written a song about it.

Wait...

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2808 on: September 23, 2017, 11:00:03 AM »
I think he just expects fans to just grab every single thing he spoon feeds them.  I remember him being dismayed at some fans saying they didn't know about the Neal Morse Band album or tour earlier this year, almost like, "I recommended it! How can you not know about it??"

Yeah. I don't think he understands how casual most music fans are. Not just his fans but all fans. Sure there are a lot that will travel hours to go see him. But the vast majority just hit the like button on Facebook because they figure "oh yeah I like that guy." I don't follow him on Facebook but when I've gone to his page I see that there are six or seven mutual friends that like him. of those I'm not sure if any, maybe one, would ever make the effort to travel more than 10 to 15 minutes to see one of his shows. Even then most of them probably wouldn't bother. That's the thing about social media which he doesn't seem to be able to grasp. It's very easy to hit the like button. And he has over 1 million people that have done that. It's very easy to type "your new album sucks." It's very easy to type "go back to Dream Theater." It's easy to type" you're the greatest drummer of all time." But it's still not that easy to attend a concert that's two or three or five hours away and take off work.

That's also a good reason to try not to piss off people that will actually take the time to go to a message board and have a constructive discussion. Those are the people most likely to travel a couple hours to see you and buy the new album even though hardly anybody buy CDs anymore.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #2809 on: September 23, 2017, 12:41:10 PM »

At least he only bitches about his fans in social media, and hasn't written a song about it.

Wait...

Oh yes. 'I'm Amazing and You Suck'. Good track

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2810 on: September 23, 2017, 01:30:05 PM »

Wait...

Oh yes. 'I'm Amazing and You Suck'. Good track

I think Muse did a wonderful job covering that song.

Wait...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #2811 on: September 23, 2017, 01:38:54 PM »
#rockstarproblems

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2812 on: September 23, 2017, 01:44:47 PM »

"I've been with my wife for 27 years and she hates prog.  If I'm playing with Avenged Sevenfold she loves it, but Transatlantic?  No.  I've never been able to convert her to the prog side."

Not surprising I suppose. Marlene, Rena Petrucci and I believe Myung's wife were in an all-female thrash metal band Meanstreak in the late 80's.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline majo

« Reply #2813 on: September 23, 2017, 02:18:17 PM »
Didn't Threshold release a 10 minute song from what I consider their new Prog Masterpiece?
If you meant Lost in Translation, that's one brilliant single caused me to actually buy Threshold album for the 1st time  :tup
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2814 on: September 23, 2017, 03:04:44 PM »
I would love to get that shirt of the SF just as the one Jaci Gillette it's wearing

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2815 on: September 23, 2017, 03:16:37 PM »
I would love to get that shirt of the SF just as the one Jaci Gillette it's wearing

Looks like a lively crowd! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2816 on: September 23, 2017, 08:07:09 PM »
Even the naysayers in this thread are still gonna buy this album when it comes out. You know they are,,  OH It's true!   :biggrin:

I guess in a round about way I will....because the only way I'm listening to the entire album is if it's on Apple Music....which I suspect it will be being the two singles are on it. But my $$ is going to Apple....not SOA

It'll filter through; they'll get theirs.    It'll be $0.01 on the dollar but they'll get theirs.  :)  :)

Maybe even less than that. 

I'll never understand why some would rather give their money to a technology company for music rather than rewarding the professional musicians who created that music themselves. 

I always make sure that as much of my money as possible goes to the artists themselves, if I've decided I like them and what they do. Sometimes (as in the recent case of a huge order I made with the band Swans) that will involve having their albums shipped over from the US rather than just using Amazon UK, which would have been a hell of a lot cheaper for me, but Michael Gira (the guy behind Swans) would have seen only a small percentage of the cash.

This is why, in this day and age of cheap streaming, artists like SoA can't avoid too many PR disasters if they want as many people as possible to buy their physical media, merchandise, concert tickets, etc. New bands in their position can't afford to take the attitude of "meh, your loss", because it literally isn't, it's theirs.  Just as I will buy the expensive deluxe versions of albums in order to get cash to groups like (this week alone) Cradle of Filth or Godspeed You Black Emperor, so I'll choose to withhold it from bands like SoA if I feel its keyboard player is behaving like an ass.

It's never been more vital to the financial success of a band to have excellent PR than now, because you have to convince people not just to listen to your music (which is easily done these days), but to shell out for it too. Back on topic, that's why I was surprised MP didn't tell DS to knock it off, but instead persisted with "It's just his humor, lighten up or I'll ban you".

I also tend to appreciate the music more if I make an investment in it. Can't do that for everyone and it can be a high bar. Sometimes the tough decisions have to be made.  Seems like some music is more disposable than it should be.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2817 on: September 23, 2017, 08:20:38 PM »

I'm with Stadler about Social Media being the cause of many things happening to people psychologically. And this decable is a product of Social Media. MP and DS are the kinds of people that this platform definately breaks on.

Definitely a bigger picture issue at work here.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2818 on: September 23, 2017, 08:30:00 PM »

I'm with Stadler about Social Media being the cause of many things happening to people psychologically. And this decable is a product of Social Media. MP and DS are the kinds of people that this platform definately breaks on.

Mediums are never the cause or the source. It's just us. We find new ways to be horrible and we exploit them. It's us.

It's not social media. It's not religion. It's not politics. It's not any of those thing. It's just us. We just found new freedoms to act in ways we were otherwise told not to act.

It's also possible that Mr. T is to blame for all of this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2819 on: September 23, 2017, 08:34:36 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2820 on: September 23, 2017, 08:35:23 PM »
Social media allows us to say things we would never say to somebody face to face for fear of retribution.   You get to say a lot when nobody's right in front of you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #2821 on: September 23, 2017, 08:36:09 PM »
I have mathematical equations that support my theory, I just can't post them here. So you'll have to simply trust me.

I haven't confirmed it, but it's still a large possibility. Mr. T is not to be trusted. More on this later.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2822 on: September 23, 2017, 08:38:19 PM »
I have mathematical equations that support my theory,

Not sure that adds up.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2823 on: September 23, 2017, 08:39:48 PM »
I have mathematical equations that support my theory,

Not sure that adds up.

Maybe, but it doesn't subtract from my argument. 
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2824 on: September 23, 2017, 08:46:49 PM »
Stop ÷ us you two! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2825 on: September 23, 2017, 08:47:36 PM »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2826 on: September 23, 2017, 08:48:39 PM »

Tweet Secret still exist?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2827 on: September 24, 2017, 03:23:39 AM »

Yeah. I don't think he understands how casual most music fans are. Not just his fans but all fans. Sure there are a lot that will travel hours to go see him. But the vast majority just hit the like button on Facebook because they figure "oh yeah I like that guy." I don't follow him on Facebook but when I've gone to his page I see that there are six or seven mutual friends that like him. of those I'm not sure if any, maybe one, would ever make the effort to travel more than 10 to 15 minutes to see one of his shows. Even then most of them probably wouldn't bother. That's the thing about social media which he doesn't seem to be able to grasp. It's very easy to hit the like button. And he has over 1 million people that have done that. It's very easy to type "your new album sucks." It's very easy to type "go back to Dream Theater." It's easy to type" you're the greatest drummer of all time." But it's still not that easy to attend a concert that's two or three or five hours away and take off work.

That's also a good reason to try not to piss off people that will actually take the time to go to a message board and have a constructive discussion. Those are the people most likely to travel a couple hours to see you and buy the new album even though hardly anybody buy CDs anymore.

Excellent analysis! you completely get what a social media is like, the almost randomness of it. For example I make a joke about small shows, regarding the attendance, I say "You want to know how many people will be there? go and see how many clicked on I will attend, and then divide that in half". People see a concert announced five months away, go "Cool, I'll go!" and click on that, and then they just forget it or when the day comes, it's raining, there are no buddies to go with, there were other commitments etc...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2828 on: September 24, 2017, 10:36:37 AM »

Looks like a lively crowd! :lol

It was lively on the floor. :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2829 on: September 24, 2017, 10:49:09 AM »
Candid shot of DT fans reacting to Derek's #NoCheeseWiz tweets

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2830 on: September 24, 2017, 10:51:25 AM »
 :lol

You need to photoshop the face of the dude sleeping.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2831 on: September 24, 2017, 11:05:07 AM »
Best I could do in a few minutes, I'm not that good  :lol

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2832 on: September 24, 2017, 11:24:02 AM »
Candid shot of DT fans reacting to Derek's #NoCheeseWiz tweets

:rollin

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2833 on: September 24, 2017, 11:44:37 AM »
In the original picture, the guy in the grey shirt staring at Max Portnoy: what it's he thinking? GO!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2834 on: September 24, 2017, 12:30:29 PM »

Mediums are never the cause or the source. It's just us. We find new ways to be horrible and we exploit them. It's us.

It's not social media. It's not religion. It's not politics. It's not any of those thing. It's just us. We just found new freedoms to act in ways we were otherwise told not to act.

It's also possible that Mr. T is to blame for all of this.

While that is true, there's also a likely correlation with addiction at work here.  but in the interest of not derailing this thread further we'll go with Mr. T as a possible explanation for this.