Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 307379 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #2135 on: September 16, 2017, 06:21:03 PM »
I listened to the two songs.

What a disappoonting way to waste Jeff Scott Soto's voice.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2136 on: September 16, 2017, 06:53:31 PM »
I actually really like both songs but agree that it is not like DT-esque prog metal at all thus far, which the samples and marketing led us believe. I also agree it does sound like Amob, but more like the band I wished Amob was (despite me enjoying some of their material, especially the debut). What I have heard of SoA has more groove and much better instrumental aspects.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2137 on: September 16, 2017, 11:15:00 PM »
Is it just me or is the guitar barely audible when he's not playing a lead of some kind? I can seem him playing heavy riffs, but all I hear is bass.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2138 on: September 17, 2017, 02:55:20 AM »
Is it just me or is the guitar barely audible when he's not playing a lead of some kind? I can seem him playing heavy riffs, but all I hear is bass.

No, it's not just you. Can't hear the guitars either except when the lead instruments.

As for SoA being presented as the alternative to DT : no way! They're not just in the same league if we judge from the 2 songs released. When you build up such a hype, you have to live up to that hype or else, you're bound to be really disappointing. At best, it is a hard-rock band, which is not bad per se, but nothing I have heard so far can be deemed as prog metal.

B.Lee
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 03:10:39 AM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2139 on: September 17, 2017, 03:39:27 AM »
I fail to see why this band is still a target of such controversy here, but whatever.
I don't see the AMob or Winery Dogs comparisons either..

To me they sound like so many other "prog metal light" bands out there. Circus Maximus, Pagans Mind, Anubis Gate, later era Sym X or even DT to some extent. I don't know what people were expecting out of this, but i went in without expectations and i quite enjoyed the two songs released so far..

But yeah, i think this is going to be nothing revolutionary but enjoyable still..

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2140 on: September 17, 2017, 03:49:42 AM »
I fail to see why this band is still a target of such controversy here, but whatever.

To me they sound like so many other "prog metal light" bands out there. Circus Maximus, Pagans Mind, Anubis Gate, later era Sym X or even DT to some extent. I don't know what people were expecting out of this, but i went in without expectations and i quite enjoyed the two songs released so far..

But yeah, i think this is going to be nothing revolutionary but enjoyable still..

That's it!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2141 on: September 17, 2017, 04:32:53 AM »
I thought that new song was pretty cool.  I wish Portnoy would shut up though, leave it to JSS mate.  His backups are so subpar in this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2142 on: September 17, 2017, 06:24:14 AM »

So, Stumblebum is their John Myung! "We can see him playing something, but we just can't hear it!" :lol :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2143 on: September 17, 2017, 07:32:31 AM »

I think that's giving far too much credit to SoA. I don't hear a lick of CM, PM, AG, or even latter day Symphony X.

I've noticed Derek has been telling people he'd like to hear their original music after they're done 'flipping burgers.' Has he always been a giant asshole?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2144 on: September 17, 2017, 07:51:45 AM »
I've noticed Derek has been telling people he'd like to hear their original music after they're done 'flipping burgers.' Has he always been a giant asshole?

Where did he say that? I'm looking at his Twitter and Facebook and I don't see that anywhere. Based on his recent behavior I wouldn't really be surprised though.

To me this whole project screams "Mid-Life Crisis".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2145 on: September 17, 2017, 07:55:18 AM »

I am sure he thinks this is just rock and roll swagger, which is not surprising given that he is a huge fan of Kiss (assholes) and Van Halen (Roth and EVH are two of the biggest douchebags in rock history), but it just comes off as condescending and will just piss off his target audience (which isn't that big in the first place).  I mean, a 50-year old man is that really worried about swagger and acting tough. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Can someone please knock some sense into Portnoy and tell him to focus mainly on Neal Morse Band and Flying Colors?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2146 on: September 17, 2017, 07:56:32 AM »
How how does he know that my burger cooking skills is not better than his song? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2147 on: September 17, 2017, 07:57:55 AM »
 :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2148 on: September 17, 2017, 08:01:09 AM »
How how does he know that my burger cooking skills is not better than his song? :lol

:lol :lol :lol

If your burger is bland and forgettable, it is then at least Coming Home's equal.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2149 on: September 17, 2017, 08:08:42 AM »
Had a brief convo last night about this with my older brother (who loves DT, TA, NMB, Flying Colors), which went like this:

Brother: You heard that new song by the new band Portnoy and Sherinian are in?

Me: Yeah. It's not that good.

Brother: That singer is awful. 

Me: He's okay, but the music is just bland.

Brother: I'm out already.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2150 on: September 17, 2017, 08:24:33 AM »
Had a brief convo last night about this with my older brother (who loves DT, TA, NMB, Flying Colors), which went like this:

Brother: You heard that new song by the new band Portnoy and Sherinian are in?

Me: Yeah. It's not that good.

Brother: That singer is awful. 

Me: He's okay, but the music is just bland.

Brother: I'm out already.

It does sound like JSS is being restrained. Even at his age he is still capable of so much more than he is showing on these two songs.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2151 on: September 17, 2017, 08:30:22 AM »
BTW, I'm glad JSS isn't singing the typical operatic metal singer style.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2152 on: September 17, 2017, 08:51:42 AM »
Of course JSS has been restrained. He used to sing with Journey, ffs. JSS was put at that register by one of the producers of the album, who also has been very vocal about "anus puckering vocals" on twitter. Not naming names.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2153 on: September 17, 2017, 09:04:56 AM »
Heck, JSS' vocals in these two singles do not even match JSS' vocals in his own recently-released single two weeks ago.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2154 on: September 17, 2017, 09:08:48 AM »
Of course JSS has been restrained. He used to sing with Journey, ffs. JSS was put at that register by one of the producers of the album, who also has been very vocal about "anus puckering vocals" on twitter. Not naming names.

Had Soto gotten his way he may have had more diversity in his singing. In one of the introduction videos, Derek and he joke about almost coming to blows. While they were laughing in that one, in another interview, I can't remember which one, somebody admitted it got pretty heated when it came to recording vocals

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2155 on: September 17, 2017, 11:10:05 AM »

I am sure he thinks this is just rock and roll swagger, which is not surprising given that he is a huge fan of Kiss (assholes) and Van Halen (Roth and EVH are two of the biggest douchebags in rock history), but it just comes off as condescending and will just piss off his target audience (which isn't that big in the first place).  I mean, a 50-year old man is that really worried about swagger and acting tough. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Can someone please knock some sense into Portnoy and tell him to focus mainly on Neal Morse Band and Flying Colors?

Can’t find where Derek posted that! If you guys could direct me that would be awesome

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #2156 on: September 17, 2017, 11:28:56 AM »
It does sound like JSS is being restrained. Even at his age he is still capable of so much more than he is showing on these two songs.

Jeff: How was that, Mike?

MP: Needs more balls, needs to be more badass.

Jeff: Like this?...

MP: Shh, this is my gratuitous backing vocal spot no one wants to hear.

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #2157 on: September 17, 2017, 12:40:32 PM »
It sounds alright to me. Slightly better than Amob stuff, but I'm waiting to be wow'd by some actual prog stuff. Like I really hope I'm not being misled here, I'm not expecting dream theater but DS solo work is way more proggy than any of this stuff. Opus Maximus sounds intriguing. Everyone's vocals sound OK to me, not as good as Neal Morse backing stuff though.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2158 on: September 17, 2017, 12:45:15 PM »

That argument is so dumb. You can be the talentless person in the world, but that doesn't mean you can't recognise when something is bad. Those kids in that infamous Final Countdown video are still more talented at their instruments than I am, but they still suck.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2159 on: September 17, 2017, 01:08:01 PM »

That argument is so dumb. You can be the talentless person in the world, but that doesn't mean you can't recognise when something is bad. Those kids in that infamous Final Countdown video are still more talented at their instruments than I am, but they still suck.

Completely agree with you, Zook.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2160 on: September 17, 2017, 01:11:36 PM »

B.Lee

On that same token, someone that's good at flipping burgers may make me spend more of my money on them and the food they make than on some half assed prog rock band. 

Now I'm hungry. 

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #2161 on: September 17, 2017, 01:20:56 PM »

B.Lee

On that same token, someone that's good at flipping burgers may make me spend more of my money on them and the food they make than on some half assed prog rock band. 

Now I'm hungry.

Seems like Derek could take a hint from Steve Morse...  ;D

«If you have a day job and you’re flipping burgers four hours a day, flip those burgers right onto the middle of the bun. Make everything count. If you’re sweeping the floor, don’t say it’s okay that you left that piece of dirt behind. Say: ‘If I sweep up every bit of this dirt to the best of my ability, that’s going to affect the way I play music. It’s going to make everything I do strive for perfection.’

That’s how you can tell if somebody’s going to make it or not – it’s not by whether or not they know somebody’s phone number on Star Search. Those are the kind of people that, when the opportunities come – and every couple of years or so, everyone will get these, what other people would say are once-in-a-lifetime opportunities, but they will keep coming… the people that are ready, and luck allows them to, and fate allows them to, will find that they will get connected.» (Taken from: https://www.guitarmessenger.com/interviews/steve-morse-interview/)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2162 on: September 17, 2017, 02:14:35 PM »
DS ist walking on very thin ice with stuff like that. Let's be honest, most of his career has been in the shadow of big names. To stick with the analogy, he was himself flipping musical burgers for the most part.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2163 on: September 17, 2017, 03:09:29 PM »
This "if you can't do better, don't criticize" argument is as low-level thinking as it gets. It's on par with "professional athletes don't deserve a high salary" and "if humans evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys."

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2164 on: September 17, 2017, 03:20:25 PM »
This "if you can't do better, don't criticize" argument is as low-level thinking as it gets. It's on par with "professional athletes don't deserve a high salary" and "if humans evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys."

This.

I am not usually one to let the press clippings influence my thoughts on what I am listening to but seeing that comment has totally just turned me off for good.  Good job DS, I own your solo CD's, Planet-X and have talked at length on my podcast about how you are probably my favorite keyboard player of all time; but after this I am so over you.  As a musician myself that comment totally crosses the line.  Consider me another lost album sale.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2165 on: September 17, 2017, 03:24:12 PM »
I agree with Derek actually. But since I feel like I have written better songs, I'm cool criticizing it. However, unless he can come up with a better criticism against his music than mine, he has no right to criticize my criticism.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2166 on: September 17, 2017, 03:48:33 PM »
I agree with Derek actually. But since I feel like I have written better songs, I'm cool criticizing it. However, unless he can come up with a better criticism against his music than mine, he has no right to criticize my criticism.

I just turned myself inside out.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2167 on: September 17, 2017, 04:42:29 PM »
DS ist walking on very thin ice with stuff like that. Let's be honest, most of his career has been in the shadow of big names. To stick with the analogy, he was himself flipping musical burgers for the most part.

Was?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2168 on: September 17, 2017, 05:02:50 PM »
Well, he is one of the kings of prog now.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2169 on: September 17, 2017, 05:34:00 PM »
Well, I didn't vote for him.