Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305641 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #2100 on: September 16, 2017, 12:41:42 AM »
Anyway....

Listened to the song. Already forgot the whole thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2101 on: September 16, 2017, 01:17:46 AM »
Anyway....

Listened to the song. Already forgot the whole thing.

You are not alone... this might be the biggest disapointment of the year. "New kings of prog metal", "Reclaiming the throne"....  over hype / hype in the wrong direction.....

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2102 on: September 16, 2017, 01:20:41 AM »
Yea, I'll judge this album on its own merit, but the people let down by the style have that right.

It'd be like saying Logan was a laugh out loud comedy movie and then getting upset when people (who really wanted a comedy) complain that it's not a comedy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2103 on: September 16, 2017, 05:59:43 AM »
So far, the best reaction to the song has been from my three year old daughter: "wooooow, this man has two guitars on at the same time? And this other man too???"

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2104 on: September 16, 2017, 06:33:43 AM »
I suppose there could be individuals who can wholly separate things, but they are far from neurotypical and are probably severely cognitively impaired.

This is where ariich and I have a problem with. You recognize that there may be some people that can separate the behaviour of a person from the music he makes but they are "probably severely cognitively impaired"

Really? Just because someone has a different opinion or experience on that matter he has probably some kind of brain damage? You have either constructed your post in a way that it can be easily misunderstood or you are just outright insulting.

Neither of you are understanding what I'm saying. I don't feel I've been unclear about it, either. Had I been more concise, I could have been even more easily misinterpreted. Please get off the defensive for a moment and listen.

A person is often the world's leading expert on their own self in many ways, but not all ways. If a person posting in this thread claims they can separate entirely their knowledge of a musician from the way they experience said musician's output, I believe strongly that they are mistaken. They're not lying--they're just wrong. When challenged, I speculated that while there may be someone on the planet who is capable of doing that, they're likely severely cognitively impaired. That observation is not a passive aggressive dig at anyone on this site who claims to be able to separate these things, because the sort of individual I'm talking about would not be reading this forum. Again, people here who claim to be able to do this are not cognitively impaired or dishonest--they just don't understand certain aspects of the subjective human experience. Reading me say this for the eleventh time is probably going to piss some of them off, but I'm in the bizarre position of having to defend myself for stating what seems obvious.

None of what I'm saying is the least bit controversial and no one should be taking it personally. It's just how stuff works. If it's still unclear, then I cannot help you and I won't defend myself further.
I think putting this theory to the test, the most extreme example I can think of is the following: if you were Jewish, could you enjoy music made by Neo-Nazis? Probably not.

Anyway, I liked the song, especially the part between 2:30-2:45, it really pumped me up. A bit disappointed though that Mike played the exact same generic drum fill at the end of that part which he played at the beginning of the song (and at the beginning of Shoulda Coulda Woulda, and so on). Felt like a copy-paste. I often get this feeling with Mike's recent works. I wish they would sit down and spend months crafting the songs and make something especially special. It's only their job, after all.

"And then there was Apollo Two Times, who got that nickname because he did everything twice, like double the necks, double the necks."

Sorry... it's on right now  :)
Hopefully the album will be a success, and SoA won't have to get their walking papers, walking papers.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 06:40:18 AM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2105 on: September 16, 2017, 06:40:57 AM »
That's plain baloney WheyWaffles.  I can certainly say that I do not like how band members act online while still liking their music.

Mike Tyson was a terrible man but I loved watching his boxing matches and rooted for him to destroy others.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2106 on: September 16, 2017, 06:42:59 AM »
I'm not saying it is always easy and maybe when you put it to the extreme it doesn't work anymore. But I still maintain that it is possible to listen to Sons Of Apollo for example and not let Derek's tweets have an effect of your enjoyment. A lot of people have said that they could do just that. So one could just accept that people are different and argue with brain disfunctionality. That's just outright silly.

And for the extreme examples, Richard Wagner was nit a nazi but a holeheartedly antisemit and yet there are jews and israelis that enjoy his music. All with brain damage?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2107 on: September 16, 2017, 06:43:45 AM »
Maybe the reception for SoA will be better outside this forum... from MP Facebook:

MARK THIS DAY IN HISTORY!! Nothing but Positive remarks in the comments section of an MP-related post of Blabbermouth!! It's a miracle...hahaha! Wow…
I do think SOA will deliver something for everyone…it’s got the chops of DT or PSMS mixed with the hooks and melodic sensibilities of TWD….I can't wait for everyone to hear the whole album \m/

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sons-of-apollo-feat-portnoy-sheehan-bumblefoot-soto-sherinian-coming-home-video/
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2108 on: September 16, 2017, 06:46:59 AM »
I'm not saying it is always easy and maybe when you put it to the extreme it doesn't work anymore. But I still maintain that it is possible to listen to Sons Of Apollo for example and not let Derek's tweets have an effect of your enjoyment. A lot of people have said that they could do just that. So one could just accept that people are different and argue with brain disfunctionality. That's just outright silly.

And for the extreme examples, Richard Wagner was nit a nazi but a holeheartedly antisemit and yet there are jews and israelis that enjoy his music. All with brain damage?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nS66IvbvcI

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2109 on: September 16, 2017, 06:55:54 AM »
Maybe the reception for SoA will be better outside this forum... from MP Facebook:

MARK THIS DAY IN HISTORY!! Nothing but Positive remarks in the comments section of an MP-related post of Blabbermouth!! It's a miracle...hahaha! Wow…
I do think SOA will deliver something for everyone…it’s got the chops of DT or PSMS mixed with the hooks and melodic sensibilities of TWD….I can't wait for everyone to hear the whole album \m/

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sons-of-apollo-feat-portnoy-sheehan-bumblefoot-soto-sherinian-coming-home-video/

I have yet to hear a great hook in either of the two songs released thus far.  I don't think the singer's voice is helping in that regard. It's possible what should have been the hooks might have been more "hooky" in the vocal chords of a singer more suited for this style of music.

Even funnier, if you stroll over to Portnoy's forum, even reaction there to this new song is mixed at best, but hey, if he wants to pound his chest over Blabbermouth, more power to him. :lol :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2110 on: September 16, 2017, 06:57:57 AM »
That's plain baloney WheyWaffles.  I can certainly say that I do not like how band members act online while still liking their music.

Mike Tyson was a terrible man but I loved watching his boxing matches and rooted for him to destroy others.

Sounds like you are cognitively impaired. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2111 on: September 16, 2017, 07:03:58 AM »

Sounds like you are cognitively impaired. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

:lol  You remember those days Kev.  Betting with your buds how fast would Tyson kill someone. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2112 on: September 16, 2017, 07:08:27 AM »

Can't believe I'm wading into this but to be fair to 'Wheywaffles', he's not saying otherwise. His claim is that it isn't possible to totally ignore your knowledge of a musician and not have it to some extent influence your experience of their music. That doesn't mean you can't still like what they do (I still occasionally spin and enjoy Lostprophets albums, even though the singer is doing 35 years in prison for raping a baby), but his claim is that on some level it will influence your experience. I don't know (or care) if he's right or wrong, but I think that's what he's saying. 

Back to SoA, I liked Coming Home on first listening, and I'm liking it more on repeated ones. Prefer this one to the first song by far.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:13:48 AM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2113 on: September 16, 2017, 07:11:12 AM »

:lol  You remember those days Kev.  Betting with your buds how fast would Tyson kill someone. :lol

Story time!

It was either 1987 or 1988, but I was at my next door neighbor's house hanging out with my childhood friend Tony, and they had whatever channel at the time showed boxing fights (Showtime?), so I was like, hey, let's watch the Tyson fight.  He didn't seemed interested, but I was like, it'll be over in like 5 minutes. And, lo and behold, Tyson literally knocked the guy out in the first two minutes of Round 1. :lol :lol

Edit: I looked it up and I think it was the fight against Michael Spinks in June 1988.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2114 on: September 16, 2017, 07:27:12 AM »

Can't believe I'm wading into this but to be fair to 'Wheywaffles', he's not saying otherwise. His claim is that it isn't possible to totally ignore your knowledge of a musician and not have it to some extent influence your experience of their music. That doesn't mean you can't still like what they do (I still occasionally spin and enjoy Lostprophets albums, even though the singer is doing 35 years in prison for raping a baby), but his claim is that on some level it will influence your experience. I don't know (or care) if he's right or wrong, but I think that's what he's saying. 

Back to SoA, I liked Coming Home on first listening, and I'm liking it more on repeated ones. Prefer this one to the first song by far.

I haven't liked how Mike has handled himself since the breakup online and in interviews at all.  That has no way influenced my listening to his music on bit. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2115 on: September 16, 2017, 08:06:01 AM »
I haven't liked how Mike has handled himself since the breakup online and in interviews at all.  That has no way influenced my listening to his music on bit.

Same here. dude can flat out play the drums.....watching him play 'Similitude of a Dream' with the Neal Morse band in person from about 40 foot away might be the highlight of my concert going career thus far. And I will go see the NMB again and again and continue to support his music to an extent (not feeling SOA and didn't buy AMOB) But his behavior post split has influenced me to view him in a complete 180 of how I used to.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2116 on: September 16, 2017, 08:20:56 AM »
MP a few months ago: nobody pay attention to what Blabbermouth says, they're all trolls over there
MP now: Blabbermouth likes this song, so it's your loss if you don't like it

:rollin

Christ.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2117 on: September 16, 2017, 08:32:41 AM »
MP a few months ago: nobody pay attention to what Blabbermouth says, they're all trolls over there
MP now: Blabbermouth likes this song, so it's your loss if you don't like it

:rollin

Christ.

How are you getting there? That's not what he meant at all. He's just having a laugh at the fact that for once they aren't bashing him. He's not saying people should lile his song because bbm does....
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2118 on: September 16, 2017, 08:46:00 AM »
My point was, he's spent x years dismissing Blabbermouth as illegitimate or unfair, but will use them when they praise him. Kinda eyeroll worthy if I'm being honest (the whole thing, including this) but I just woke up so it's early morning giggles to me, not gonna make a mountain out of a molehill.

EDIT: aha, apparently [ x ] is the code for bullet points. noted :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2119 on: September 16, 2017, 09:23:18 AM »
I'm trying to figure out the purpose of Billy's double neck. Is it just for show in the video? Does he touch the other side of the bass at all? :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2120 on: September 16, 2017, 09:31:31 AM »
IMO, the same can be said for Bumblefoot's double neck guitar. The use of a fretless guitar in that song makes zero sense to me.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2121 on: September 16, 2017, 09:48:50 AM »
IMO, the same can be said for Bumblefoot's double neck guitar. The use of a fretless guitar in that song makes zero sense to me.

Well if he played the entire song on a fretted guitar it wouldn't sound much different but there are little nuances that only a fretless can achieve.  mainly the solo.  Still, I really don't think it would change much so in a way it is kind of pointless. 

Offline efx

« Reply #2122 on: September 16, 2017, 09:59:18 AM »
I think on the first  song he actually used the fretless for a few riffs that wouldn't sound at all the same on a fretted on. But I didn't hear much of it here.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2123 on: September 16, 2017, 10:31:41 AM »
Dave Manchester excellent point about needing actually song writers. That's why MP has so much success with Neal Morse. MP is an amazing player but Neal can probably insert about a dozen or more drummers into his band.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #2124 on: September 16, 2017, 10:45:53 AM »

Thank you. I was mistaken as well--I thought writing a multi-part essay on this would make it impossible to miss the nuance in what I was saying, but it's easier for people to condense that into a caricature I guess--that because they still like music despite not liking the musician, I must be wrong. Strong evidence, bros.

But I agree, back on topic: Might Portnoy be reinventing himself as a Butt Rock God? Who could have foreseen this pre-Adrenaline Mob? Next video will feature hot girls in fast cars. Take that, Dream Theater.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2125 on: September 16, 2017, 10:49:54 AM »
I'm trying to figure out the purpose of Billy's double neck. Is it just for show in the video? Does he touch the other side of the bass at all? :lol
Nope  :biggrin: but the other neck is 5 string as I remember well, so probably He uses it for different tuning, anyway in this video it's only for show ;)

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2126 on: September 16, 2017, 11:09:31 AM »
Maybe the problem here is that MP associates being progressive with 10 minute wank-fests.

I think the problem might be Mike goes into the studio thinking, "we only have 2 weeks to do all this, but that's fine, because we're all crazy geniuses in our own right and, even distracted, it'll come out great."

He doesn't understand that 5 guys in a room winging an album still leads to something that sounds half-assed, even if the guys are musical geniuses. This overconfidence has plagued MP projects since Systematic Chaos, so no surprise that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2127 on: September 16, 2017, 11:31:18 AM »
Maybe the problem here is that MP associates being progressive with 10 minute wank-fests.

I think the problem might be Mike goes into the studio thinking, "we only have 2 weeks to do all this, but that's fine, because we're all crazy geniuses in our own right and, even distracted, it'll come out great."

He doesn't understand that 5 guys in a room winging an album still leads to something that sounds half-assed, even if the guys are musical geniuses. This overconfidence has plagued MP projects since Systematic Chaos, so no surprise that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

That's what I meant before when I said that LTE in a sense kinda spoiled MP and to a lesser extent JP. Just because you CAN do a (great) album in 2 weeks, it doesn't mean you should ALWAYS do an album in 2 weeks, or that it will always come out the best possible way it could have been.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #2128 on: September 16, 2017, 01:14:27 PM »
Nope  :biggrin: but the other neck is 5 string as I remember well, so probably He uses it for different tuning, anyway in this video it's only for show ;)

Nope, just another 4 string. But yeah, I would assume the other neck is in a different tuning

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2129 on: September 16, 2017, 01:19:09 PM »
OK, my mistake ;) So, different tuning for sure.  ;)

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2130 on: September 16, 2017, 01:21:47 PM »
It just bugs me that he doesn't actually make use of it in the video :lol

Like... Thall swaps back and forth from the fretless... which makes sense, as that's his thing... But there's no reason for Billy to be playing the double neck in the video.

WHERE'S THE REALISM?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #2131 on: September 16, 2017, 02:27:50 PM »
Hey, you know what? From a keyboardist's point of view, the video is a scam too. Derek uses a moog voyager for his intro lead in the video but in the studio he used either a Nord Lead or a Kronos, IMO there's no way he would have recreated his monster lead on a moog voyager. So like the double neck bass, it's just for the show and the video clip, that's all. Exactly like when Tuomas from Nightwish plays an old detuned piano in a clip but in reality he plays a strings patch from a workstation.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2132 on: September 16, 2017, 02:40:55 PM »
Hey, you know what? From a keyboardist's point of view, the video is a scam too. Derek uses a moog voyager for his intro lead in the video but in the studio he used either a Nord Lead or a Kronos, IMO there's no way he would have recreated his monster lead on a moog voyager. So like the double neck bass, it's just for the show and the video clip, that's all. Exactly like when Tuomas from Nightwish plays an old detuned piano in a clip but in reality he plays a strings patch from a workstation.

That's it. This band has been completely ruined for me now. What's next? Mike is playing different symbols than in the recording? His snare is tuned differently?

I think I am done. The Sons Of Apollo are dead to me.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2133 on: September 16, 2017, 03:05:29 PM »
Derek needs a double-neck keytar.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2134 on: September 16, 2017, 03:45:15 PM »

That's it. This band has been completely ruined for me now. What's next? Mike is playing different symbols than in the recording? His snare is tuned differently?

I think I am done. The Sons Of Apollo are dead to me.

:lol. Jay, you win the internet today.