Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 307686 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #2065 on: September 15, 2017, 12:09:34 PM »
I do not get calling Casey's vocals as "forced".

Not one bit.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2066 on: September 15, 2017, 12:22:19 PM »
Having heard the entire album - Well....

Don't expect much different songs than what you've already heard in te teasers and the two songs already out there :p

Yikes.

Sounds like this will be a pass for me.  I don't care how proggy it is - good music is good music - but jeez, this kind of generic hard rock is just so unappealing.

I thought the first song was okay, but this second one was about as bland as you can get. Just more proof that having all of that talent doesn't mean squat if you don't have the songs, and so far, they don't have 'em.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2067 on: September 15, 2017, 12:26:24 PM »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2068 on: September 15, 2017, 12:27:21 PM »

Don't expect much different songs than what you've already heard in te teasers and the two songs already out there :p
Really? :(  I was hoping this would at least be like Flying Colors, where some songs on each album do nothing for me, but then you have Infinite Fire, which I loved...

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2069 on: September 15, 2017, 12:35:39 PM »

Yikes.

Sounds like this will be a pass for me.  I don't care how proggy it is - good music is good music - but jeez, this kind of generic hard rock is just so unappealing.

I thought the first song was okay, but this second one was about as bland as you can get. Just more proof that having all of that talent doesn't mean squat if you don't have the songs, and so far, they don't have 'em.
This is very well said. Totally agree. And one thing more... IMO JSS performance in Coming Home is so much weaker than in Signs Of The Times... I even like his voice, but here just as You said, it's so generic...

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2070 on: September 15, 2017, 12:52:53 PM »
Decent song, but yeah not very interesting stylistically. Unlike most people, though, I'm not pre-judging the album at all as it sounds like this is the simplest song.

Bit of a strange choice for single, though - I get if they want to appeal to a wider audience, but this doesn't fit well with the prog metal pitch that they're also trying to make. Not that a single song can possibly define something as "prog" or "not prog", but I still think it gives the wrong impression.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline w_marano

• : never give up, it's such a wonderful life :
« Reply #2071 on: September 15, 2017, 12:54:45 PM »

Totally agree. At the end I'll wait for the full album hoping to be surprised with at least a good proggy song... Fingers crossed.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2072 on: September 15, 2017, 12:57:20 PM »
I'm sure a lot of people will love the album. It's got plenty of the stuff that loads of fans of the heavier DT album LOVE. And it'll make it very apparent just how integral MP was to the song construction on the last few DT album he was on. This is what I imagine a DT album would sound like if everyone in the band was just into heavier music... The core audience for this album is probably diametrically opposed to the core audience for The Astonishing...

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2073 on: September 15, 2017, 12:57:56 PM »

That's not very encouraging but also not surprising. Where did you hear it?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2074 on: September 15, 2017, 01:00:53 PM »
If your definition of proggy song is "long intro, heavy riffs, chorus, refrain, chorus,  into shred sections that trade solos for a few minutes and back to heavy riffs, return to chorus to end the song", sure, there are plenty of that here.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2075 on: September 15, 2017, 01:02:32 PM »
I liked Sings of the Time much more than this one. Like almost every post here says, we were told this was going to be a prog metal supergroup, and we got just some generic hard rock instead. If that's the kind of music they wanted to make, that's totally cool, but you just can't proclaim you're "the kings of prog metal" and then release songs that aren't prog or even too metal.

My opinion on the performances:

- Drums: meh
- Guitar: meh
- Keys: liked the intro, then meh
- Vocals: not for me
- Bass: what Sheehan does on every record he's in, nonsense playing and awful tone

Not liking this, so far. Expected much more from MP and DS, to be honest. Hope they (specially Mike) don't start another social media rant if the album isn't received as well as they expect it to be.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2076 on: September 15, 2017, 01:17:34 PM »
This is what I imagine a DT album would sound like if everyone in the band was just into heavier music... The core audience for this album is probably diametrically opposed to the core audience for The Astonishing...

Wow, really?  I'm not getting that from the two songs I've heard so far.  They aren't really all that heavy at all to me.  And that's fine--they don't necessarily need to be.  I'm just saying that, based on what I've heard so far, your description is surprising. 

I also don't get the AMob comparisons some are making.  To me, this sounds very little like AMob.  And to me, that's a very good thing.  Aside from the VERY cool Mob Rules cover, that band did absolutely nothing for me. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2077 on: September 15, 2017, 01:25:45 PM »
I'm sure a lot of people will love the album. It's got plenty of the stuff that loads of fans of the heavier DT album LOVE. And it'll make it very apparent just how integral MP was to the song construction on the last few DT album he was on. This is what I imagine a DT album would sound like if everyone in the band was just into heavier music... The core audience for this album is probably diametrically opposed to the core audience for The Astonishing...
If your definition of proggy song is "long intro, heavy riffs, chorus, refrain, chorus,  into shred sections that trade solos for a few minutes and back to heavy riffs, return to chorus to end the song", sure, there are plenty of that here.

Hmm, not sure what to think.  I prefer the 3 albums since Mike left over SC and probably Black Clouds, and I love the Astonishing.  But I do like all of DT's albums including both SC and Black Clouds, and Train of Thought as well, which arguably could be described in your quote above.  What bothered me most about those later MP-DT albums was Mike's singing, but I was fine with most of the songs.  I guess I'll have to wait for one of the longer songs and see.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2078 on: September 15, 2017, 02:12:24 PM »
Generic hard rock song. But it's not like the other song was much more original.

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2079 on: September 15, 2017, 02:15:23 PM »
Aside from the VERY cool Mob Rules cover, that band did absolutely nothing for me.

In addition to that cover, I just had to say that I also LOVE the A-Mob song, "All on the Line": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAkmZs3SnMU

As for the new Sons of Apollo song, it was a solid tune for me.  I'm particularly enjoying seeing how much fun the band seems to be having. :)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2080 on: September 15, 2017, 02:56:27 PM »
I finished listening (thrice) all the album a couple minutes ago, and if you guys are looking something really different in the rest of the album...well...
I am not saying that the rest of the album it's bad, in fact I liked CH for what it is, I am just saying that it is nothing groundbreaking, at least to me there's nothing in the album that stands to the #WeAreTheKingsOfProgMetal #TheThroneHasBeenReclaimed or some of the other similars #s posted on social media.
Take it from someone who has MP tattooed on his calf, just look at the tshirt I am wearing on my avatar. I do love MP but the album is far overhyped.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2081 on: September 15, 2017, 03:02:45 PM »

Hmmm, I don't know if that will be accurate.  I pretty much hated The Astonishing (although a few tracks were awesome) and so far I have not been impressed with the two SoA tracks.  The latest was just "there" as someone earlier said.  First track released was a tad better.  DT12 wasn't my favorite DT album but I'll take that any day over The Astonishing or the 2 SoA tracks I've heard. 

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2082 on: September 15, 2017, 03:24:54 PM »
MP is becoming the Ralph Kramden of starting musical bands.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2083 on: September 15, 2017, 04:25:00 PM »
MP is becoming the Ralph Kramden of starting musical bands.

:lol :lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2084 on: September 15, 2017, 04:49:59 PM »
Coming Home video, just posted by MP on Facebook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_1N8kVYfkE

Double bass drum
Double neck bass guitar
Double neck guitar
Double keyboard stacks

Double disappointed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2085 on: September 15, 2017, 04:51:50 PM »
Needed double the songwriting.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2086 on: September 15, 2017, 05:07:23 PM »
"And then there was Apollo Two Times, who got that nickname because he did everything twice, like double the necks, double the necks."

Sorry... it's on right now  :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2087 on: September 15, 2017, 05:08:44 PM »
Still sounds like The Winery Dogs with Keys. 

Velvet Revolver...thats the band that this sounds like to me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2088 on: September 15, 2017, 05:11:01 PM »

Not to start the "what is prog?" debate, but while that might be the modern day stereotypical definition of proggy, it sure ain't progressive.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2089 on: September 15, 2017, 05:38:55 PM »
I think the problem is that this song seems a bit under their collective talents.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #2090 on: September 15, 2017, 06:10:47 PM »
If you mute the video it looks like a bunch of middle aged guys who playing instruments causes them to be in great pain. I'll never understand how over the top grimace faces and theatrics makes for a good showman. Add in spirit fingers and this is definitely not for me. At least we know what they meant by "swagger."

Musically it sounds about how I expected. When they posted those videos talking about how talented everyone is I was worried they were going to consider just being in a band together as their great accomplishment. I'm still not unconvinced. I don't really hear anything original or like there's any great writing chemistry going on.

I wish them well, but hard pass from me.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2091 on: September 15, 2017, 06:29:29 PM »
Musically it sounds about how I expected. When they posted those videos talking about how talented everyone is I was worried they were going to consider just being in a band together as their great accomplishment.

This touches on a point I've been trying to articulate by PM with someone, about how redundant a so-called 'super group' is if there isn't a gifted song-writer among them. You could throw the likes of Ringo Starr, John McVie and Elvis into a studio (dammit can someone give me an example of a legendary guitarist who doesn't write music, because I've been struggling to complete my hypothetical super group of non-composers), it looks like an immense 'super group' on paper, but none of them write tunes, and so what is the musical worth? Technical pyrotechnics? Who has cared about that since the late 80s?  I'm waiting for the full album to come out before making my conclusion about the music of this band (I was indifferent to the first song, and I liked the second a lot), but I'm generally not impressed by 'super group' labels (especially as it applies these days, i.e. d-list rockers who hardly anyone outside the genre has heard of). Amazing players are ten a penny, YouTube is full of technical freaks of nature, but truly great song-writers are a very rare breed, and without one, you're just a bunch of very talented guys going through the motions. Will Sons of Apollo have a Neal Morse or a John Petrucci among them? We'll see.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:35:53 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2092 on: September 15, 2017, 06:32:31 PM »
So basically what Derek has been telling us in his tweets is that Sons of Apollo is going to lack anything that would make it interesting.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2093 on: September 15, 2017, 06:45:59 PM »
So basically what Derek has been telling us in his tweets is that Sons of Apollo is going to lack anything that would make it interesting.

Yup. Honestly it could use some breathy vocals.

Not joking.

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #2094 on: September 15, 2017, 06:53:49 PM »
Dave - I agree with that, and it almost seems like the music is secondary. Get supposedly great musicians together, let them record whatever the hell comes out for the whole 2 weeks they write, and talk about your swagger. Rinse and repeat with other musicians if it doesn't become huge. That is a recipe to get really bland, well, music like this.

I look forward to hearing how this was always supposed to br temporary and the next project that is thrown together without a single consideration of forming a songwriting identity.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2095 on: September 15, 2017, 06:53:57 PM »
I'm really liking Bumblefoot's playing.  When forced into more traditional song structures, he can really play to the song.  And given his work in GnR, I was pretty confident that would be the case, but it's good to see/hear it confirmed in the music.  Looking forward to release day.

I agree with this. I feel BUmblefoot is a bit like Guthrie Govan and his work with Steve Wilson. With SW Guthrie had to work within the limitations that were given to him and he came up with some of the best guitar playing I've ever heard.

I'm interested to see what bumblefoot has up his sleeve. 

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2096 on: September 15, 2017, 09:08:34 PM »
I think it's some groovy shit - loving the backup vocals on this song. 

Really, sometimes you just need to let go of everything that's in the last 20 pages of this thread and jam.   :tup   There's nothing wrong with a 4 minute song that lacks 15 minutes of useless widdly widdly.

Also:

https://bravewords.com/news/sons-of-apollo-featuring-past-present-members-of-dream-theater-guns-n-roses-journey-mr-big-debut-coming-home-music-video

"I assume most people's expectations of the band from its lineup is for SOA to be a self-indulgent 'wank-fest' (and granted, there are three 10-minute prog epics on the album!), but ‘Coming Home’ is an example that we are just as much a rock band cut from the cloth of classic bands like Van Halen as well."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2097 on: September 15, 2017, 09:48:23 PM »
Maybe the problem here is that MP associates being progressive with 10 minute wank-fests.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #2098 on: September 15, 2017, 10:29:03 PM »
I suppose there could be individuals who can wholly separate things, but they are far from neurotypical and are probably severely cognitively impaired.

This is where ariich and I have a problem with. You recognize that there may be some people that can separate the behaviour of a person from the music he makes but they are "probably severely cognitively impaired"

Really? Just because someone has a different opinion or experience on that matter he has probably some kind of brain damage? You have either constructed your post in a way that it can be easily misunderstood or you are just outright insulting.

Neither of you are understanding what I'm saying. I don't feel I've been unclear about it, either. Had I been more concise, I could have been even more easily misinterpreted. Please get off the defensive for a moment and listen.

A person is often the world's leading expert on their own self in many ways, but not all ways. If a person posting in this thread claims they can separate entirely their knowledge of a musician from the way they experience said musician's output, I believe strongly that they are mistaken. They're not lying--they're just wrong. When challenged, I speculated that while there may be someone on the planet who is capable of doing that, they're likely severely cognitively impaired. That observation is not a passive aggressive dig at anyone on this site who claims to be able to separate these things, because the sort of individual I'm talking about would not be reading this forum. Again, people here who claim to be able to do this are not cognitively impaired or dishonest--they just don't understand certain aspects of the subjective human experience. Reading me say this for the eleventh time is probably going to piss some of them off, but I'm in the bizarre position of having to defend myself for stating what seems obvious.

None of what I'm saying is the least bit controversial and no one should be taking it personally. It's just how stuff works. If it's still unclear, then I cannot help you and I won't defend myself further.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2099 on: September 15, 2017, 11:50:21 PM »
Do what?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)