Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 307719 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #2030 on: September 15, 2017, 07:18:49 AM »
Really disappointed in "The new kings of Prog"..... where is the prog, where are the good songs?
They are coming. Mike and Derek described the songs to us and they told us that Signs of Time was chosen because it was diverse and a good way to show all the aspects of the band and Coming Home was more of a straight rock single. But don't worry, you'll get prog. But I think that the album will be more like a classic hard rock album with elements of prog.
Some videos to show you how fun the interview was :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8SYsGqPQgY&feature=youtu.be&a=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaG6BbAP5BY&feature=youtu.be&a=

Thanks for sharing these.

Enjoyed that second clip :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #2031 on: September 15, 2017, 07:24:17 AM »
I edited this but a few seconds before, Mike wanted to use ideas developed in the Metropolis pt 2 demo just to see if the overzealous fans could get them.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2032 on: September 15, 2017, 07:35:04 AM »
...I liked it :dunno:

And there's nothing wrong with that. We all know Music is subjective and strikes differently for each of us.

My issue is that the tweets from Derek claiming they were the new 'Kings of Prog' and pitting SOA against DT like they were going to take them out or something. Nothing I've heard from SOA leads me to believe they are the Kings of anything, much less in the same realm at DT when it comes to Prog. I'd be embarrassed if I were Derek after talking smack and then giving us this cut and paste single.

Overall, I agree. That song wasn't bad, but it wasn't particularly good either, it was just kinda there. There was nothing progressive about it, that's for sure (which doesn't matter to me but if the band pushes themselves as prog kings, then be prog). This track felt like AMOB with cool keyboard work on top, for me personally, that's not going to get a lot of repeat listens.

But, WHERE IS THE PROG?

This is what I am wondering considering the talk.

I feel like at this point my interest in this band is solely relying on the potential of the members and no longer about what I've heard so far. 

I enjoy this type of music too, and it's not bad.  But it's not that exciting either.  I'd rock out to a concert of this music, but this music, which doesn't feel fresh, is not getting me excited for the album.

Totally agree.

Not feeling JSS.

I know a lot of people here love him, but I'm with you. I don't dislike his performance, I just don't find there to be anything memorable about this vocal, just like the vocal from the first track.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2033 on: September 15, 2017, 07:36:38 AM »
On the plus side, this song is less overtly offensive than everything I've heard from Adrenaline Mob. On the negative side, I feel like Mike has been making this kind of butt rock for a while now and none of it has been particularly good or interesting.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2034 on: September 15, 2017, 07:38:28 AM »
On second listen and I think this is a song any of them can come up with within five minutes jamming in the studio. "Okay, we have a song, lets move on to the next one".

Give it some work, put some more thought in making it special and distinctive (not necessarily proggier) and it would be much much better. As it is it sound like Adrenaline Mob with a better guitar player or Mr. Big with a lesser singer to me.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2035 on: September 15, 2017, 07:44:46 AM »
There's this really obnoxious bassy/throaty gargle through the entire song. I can't figure out of if it's Derek or Billy, but it sounds they let this guy in the band come in and just make noises through the entire song.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2036 on: September 15, 2017, 07:47:06 AM »
On second listen and I think this is a song any of them can come up with within five minutes jamming in the studio. "Okay, we have a song, lets move on to the next one".

Give it some work, put some more thought in making it special and distinctive (not necessarily proggier) and it would be much much better. As it is it sound like Adrenaline Mob with a better guitar player or Mr. Big with a lesser singer to me.

I agree. We discussed earlier in the thread how a lot of MP's projects post-DT seem like they are rushed, I think this song is a perfect example. Sounds like they had a keyboard riff, a basic guitar riff and threw this bad boy together. If they had more time to sit with it, maybe they could have expanded upon those ideas a bit more. Maybe not, total speculation on my part.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2037 on: September 15, 2017, 07:51:34 AM »
That's exactly what I was thinking. All this "writing in the studio" is a nice approach and can sometimes lead to really good songs and records. But more often than not I find the songs/records that were given more time and that were worked out more before the actual recording to be better.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2038 on: September 15, 2017, 07:56:08 AM »
Having heard the entire album - Well....

Don't expect much different songs than what you've already heard in te teasers and the two songs already out there :p

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2039 on: September 15, 2017, 07:56:49 AM »
Holy wow this is awful.

Drums are too loud and sound lifeless.
Billy's bass tone is horrible as always.
Derek is just kinda there. Aside from that bland riff at the beginning he doesn't do anything memorable in this song.
JSS sounds like a poor man's Russell Allen but with a third of the talent.
Lyrics are forgettable.
Guitar riff sounds generic. Bumblefoot still doesn't really impress me and he seems to be just another guitar wanker.
And overall the video itself wasn't interesting at all. It's the band sitting in a studio playing the song...ok?

2 songs into this project and I still don't hear anything remotely "Progressive". It just sounds like Adrenaline Mob with some keyboards, but just as awful.
I'm cancelling my pre-order. This project is not worth my time and money.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2040 on: September 15, 2017, 08:04:51 AM »

Don't expect much different songs than what you've already heard in te teasers and the two songs already out there :p

Oh gosh...

Derek is just kinda there. Aside from that bland riff at the beginning he doesn't do anything memorable in this song.

Good point, I hadn't noticed because after the intro like you said, nothing stuck with me.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2041 on: September 15, 2017, 08:09:39 AM »
I've officially removed this from my Amazon cart. That song was as bland of a single as you could get. And as I've mention several times, Soto does nothing for me.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2042 on: September 15, 2017, 08:10:32 AM »
I will probably play more of the 2nd disc (the instrumental version) than the one with vocals. Still not liking JSS.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2043 on: September 15, 2017, 08:16:57 AM »
JSS is hardly the problem here. The problem is it sounds like this sound took, at max, 2 hours to write. There's more genuine songwriting on the new Next to None album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2044 on: September 15, 2017, 08:18:12 AM »

And I was thinking the two singles would be the more generic tracks, that's not a good sign.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2045 on: September 15, 2017, 08:29:14 AM »
Listened to the song three times this morning.  On first listen, nothing really stood out.  Maybe because I had preconceived notions and was expecting something less straightforward and more bombastic and "progressive" sounding.  Second listen, just listened for what it is and really enjoyed it.  It's not what I was expecting, but it's pretty good.  I'm really liking Bumblefoot's playing.  When forced into more traditional song structures, he can really play to the song.  And given his work in GnR, I was pretty confident that would be the case, but it's good to see/hear it confirmed in the music.  Looking forward to release day.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2046 on: September 15, 2017, 08:31:09 AM »
That's exactly what I was thinking. All this "writing in the studio" is a nice approach and can sometimes lead to really good songs and records. But more often than not I find the songs/records that were given more time and that were worked out more before the actual recording to be better.

LTE spoiled Mike and JP I fear... they've realized they COULD write great songs on the fly, and now they think they can ALWAYS do that.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2047 on: September 15, 2017, 08:34:54 AM »
JSS is hardly the problem here. The problem is it sounds like this sound took, at max, 2 hours to write. There's more genuine songwriting on the new Next to None album.

Yeah. I hate to keep ragging on this but it really is THAT bad. For a world renowned, hall of fame drummer to record that drum track is pretty embarrassing. MP may have some incredible drum work in other songs on the album but c'mon man, that was as lazy of drumming as I can remember. It was AMOB level lazy. I'm sure if asked he'd say it 'fit the song' or that's what the song 'called' for...but it was pretty lame. Fills that literally I could do...and the standard bass drumming beat that nearly put me to sleep. I just expect so much more from him because we all know what he can do....then to hear that effort...man it's BORING.

As far as the rest of the instruments I honestly can say that outside of Dereks opening sequence it's easily forgotten. Besides, it reminded me of Bon Jovi's 'It's My Life' riff
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2048 on: September 15, 2017, 08:37:47 AM »

LTE spoiled Mike and JP I fear... they've realized they COULD write great songs on the fly, and now they think they can ALWAYS do that.

JP hasn't given me any reason to fret. He's still producing great music.

It was mentioned earlier and I think it rings true.....MP's greatest output in in the company of great song writers....JP and Neal Morse. To get full potential from him you need someone there to dig it out apparently.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2049 on: September 15, 2017, 08:41:22 AM »

Yeah. I hate to keep ragging on this but it really is THAT bad. For a world renowned, hall of fame drummer to record that drum track is pretty embarrassing. MP may have some incredible drum work in other songs on the album but c'mon man, that was as lazy of drumming as I can remember. It was AMOB level lazy. I'm sure if asked he'd say it 'fit the song' or that's what the song 'called' for...but it was pretty lame. Fills that literally I could do...and the standard bass drumming beat that nearly put me to sleep. I just expect so much more from him because we all know what he can do....then to hear that effort...man it's BORING.

Honestly, this makes it sound like you are just piling on and looking for things to try to find fault with.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2050 on: September 15, 2017, 08:53:30 AM »

Honestly, this makes it sound like you are just piling on and looking for things to try to find fault with.

Yeah, sorry about that. My biggest disappointment with it is you have this drummer in MP who is incredible....like a relief pitcher who throws 103 mph that no one can touch. Then for whatever reason the pitcher decides he's going to throw nothing but 89 mph sliders because he wants everyone to see he can throw a really good slider...then he gets lit up and loses the game.

I understand MP wants to showcase that he can play all sorts of music....we all know that....but when billed as 'the new Kings of Prog' at least try to throw some prog playing in there. That's all I'm saying. Seemed mailed in to me. I'll not comment anymore until this album comes out....maybe I'll be surprised.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2051 on: September 15, 2017, 09:00:01 AM »
I too get the same impression that this song was thrown together in a really short amount of time. It consisted of essentially 2 riffs, and the individual performances were either very safe (e.g. MP's drumming, as mentioned), or somewhat haphazard (the guitar solo). JSS's singing is solid, but once again, it sounds like something a singer would sing as a guide vocal.

EDIT: The discussion reminded me of this:

https://youtu.be/EiYRZp_BZKM?t=14

;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:07:24 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2052 on: September 15, 2017, 09:07:45 AM »
Coming Home...well nothing special for me to be honest, I hope that the rest of the songs on the album have some more prog than this one. Simple, straight and not memorable song for me. Let's have hope that Coming Home is just a warm up song before the album. Anyway, I'm dissappointed.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2053 on: September 15, 2017, 09:12:00 AM »
Very generic second song. I think it actually will hurt them rather than help them. If they released a song like Apocalypse from Kings X, people would be excited. This is as people said before Adrenaline Mob with keys. They may have some amazing songs yet on the album but so far this is pretty generic, not bad but not matching the hype.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2054 on: September 15, 2017, 09:13:58 AM »

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2055 on: September 15, 2017, 10:27:32 AM »
I like the song.

But it's still not "ZOMG PROG METAL KINGS" good.

It's a very generic rock song.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2056 on: September 15, 2017, 10:36:26 AM »
I really enjoyed Signs of the time. Coming home is alright but it's very standard like it was made just to be a single.

Really my only complaint about this project is while I think Bumblefoot is a very talented guitarist his tone is on the generic side.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2057 on: September 15, 2017, 10:41:31 AM »
I like when Bumblefoot sticks the guitar pick on his forehead toward the end of the video, lol.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #2058 on: September 15, 2017, 10:52:06 AM »
With all the hype, I was expecting the next entry on the Mt. Rushmore of prog.  I get that it's a single but your target demo is progressive metal not this dude rock.  I guess the idea of Derek & Mike together again (I love FII) made me set my expectations unrealistically (and that's on me), but I feel like I was promised Starbucks and got lukewarm instant coffee so far. 
Maybe I'll just hold off on any future samples and just enjoy the album for what it is.  It's still a first day buy for me albeit with some reservations.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2059 on: September 15, 2017, 11:15:45 AM »
As if I needed one, another reason for me not to check SoA album.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2060 on: September 15, 2017, 11:19:49 AM »
I listened to both songs and I feel more or less the same way as anyone else, I was expecting this to be prog and it isn't. Not sure what they were trying to accomplish here, but it's certainily not what they've been trying to sell us

but I feel like I was promised Starbucks and got lukewarm instant coffee so far.

Well, if you were expecting starbucks then your expectations weren't very high to begin with  :P
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2061 on: September 15, 2017, 11:27:21 AM »
I listened to both songs and I feel more or less the same way as anyone else, I was expecting this to be prog and it isn't. Not sure what they were trying to accomplish here, but it's certainily not what they've been trying to sell us

but I feel like I was promised Starbucks and got lukewarm instant coffee so far.

Well, if you were expecting starbucks then your expectations weren't very high to begin with  :P

Yeah Vigilante Coffee is the only coffee good enough and prog enough for this analogy.  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2062 on: September 15, 2017, 11:30:27 AM »
Heard it too. Good for what it is, Meh in the context of "Blowing DT off the prog metal scene". If Scotty says it's more or less all like this...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2063 on: September 15, 2017, 11:34:30 AM »
Didn't hate it on first listen. Don't like the rhythm guitar sound, and Billy always makes it hard to get a good mix because of his tone. Riff is a bit shit but the lead playing is excellent. JSS does his job, but it's a bit average.

So DS is full of BS so far 😀

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2064 on: September 15, 2017, 11:50:10 AM »
I liked a lot the two songs released, but also I agree with the comparissons with AMOB on Coming Home (no problem to me, I like a lot the first 2 albums) and with the "complaints" that it seems that SoA marketing is proggier that it really is. I can imagine the 3 epics bringing the proggy side a lot more, but it seems more a Platypus (band), hard rock, kind of prog (which I absolutely love) than prog metal.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)