Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 306749 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #1925 on: September 12, 2017, 04:30:05 PM »
I've seen his pool and the shenanigans from Ray of Haken.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1926 on: September 12, 2017, 04:30:44 PM »
the guy is a millionaire

Possible, but I highly doubt it.

I'm probably overstating it, but I do know his net worth is around 8 million, and I've seen his house, car, and pool o_o

:lol  I don't think so.  Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

I only believed it after seeing a mansion-like house on a hill. I suppose it makes sense that I'm wrong, I live in the country therefore have no clue.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1927 on: September 12, 2017, 04:33:53 PM »
the guy is a millionaire

I'm probably overstating it, but I do know his net worth is around 8 million, and I've seen his house, car, and pool o_o

I only believed it after seeing a mansion-like house on a hill. I suppose it makes sense that I'm wrong, I live in the country therefore have no clue.  :lol

Nah, he is definitely a millionaire.  He shares pictures of his house on twitter and that type of house in his location is approaching 1M alone.  I doubt he is worth 8M though. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1928 on: September 12, 2017, 04:51:22 PM »
The music released thus far sounds merely satisfactory to me. Nothing more. I'll spin it on Spotify on release and see if it grabs me more but I doubt it will.

I love Mike's playing. And Derek's. But they both have made themselves look pretty bad with their comments in the last little while. This kind of thing does affect how I feel about music - to a greater degree than I'd like, tbh. I'm not really very interested in it now.

Also Sons Of Apollo is a really poor name. (What, it's meant to appeal to Greek Classical Studies dorks?) :lol As is Winery Dogs. And Adrenaline Mob.

Meh.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1929 on: September 12, 2017, 04:59:01 PM »
the guy is a millionaire

What? Are you saying MP might not also be Jewish?!?!?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1930 on: September 12, 2017, 05:11:04 PM »
the guy is a millionaire

Nah, he is definitely a millionaire.  He shares pictures of his house on twitter and that type of house in his location is approaching 1M alone.  I doubt he is worth 8M though.

Not that it matters, but I think people are too loose with their definition of a millionaire.  I doubt any of the members of DT are millionaires.  They make a very good and very comfortable living, of course they give up a lot of comfort for that lifestyle in their constant traveling and whatnot, but I doubt any of them have more than a million in the bank.  If you mean they that they have more than 1 million dollars in assets, sure, I'd believe it. 

There was an interesting interview Mike did with Metal Sludge a while ago.  Don't know if it's still online.  It was around the SFAM era so they were just starting to make a really comfortable living but one of the questions was "What's the biggest check you've ever received."  He said that the way DT runs as a business is to take all their earnings and then pay it out in the form of paychecks.  So basically they were receiving a salary which I bet went up as they earned more.  So it's not like they finish a tour and say "ok, here's everyone's split." 

Regardless, they are all living a pretty good life. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1931 on: September 12, 2017, 05:16:44 PM »
Yea, totally.   I take it in assets which some of is publicly available.  It's MP's business and his business only as to what he has in the bank.  Which I am not speculating. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1932 on: September 12, 2017, 06:11:41 PM »
I've always been curious about how musicians get paid. Aside from their endorsements....like tour $$? Is it such and such % each venue goes to the band? Is it up front like here's $$ for the band and the however many shows they'll play? Is it a guaranteed figure for each show per person?

I'd imagine with his endorsements and multiple bands throughout the years MP is sitting pretty. Even the DT guys most likely are living a very comfortable life....I mean, it's been said that Myung and MP live merely houses away from one another so JMX must be doing well also.

Just really intrigued about how these guys go about making a living.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1933 on: September 12, 2017, 08:01:02 PM »
From what I understand, smaller bands get a percentage of ticket sales and larger bands get a guaranteed figure per gig. Not sure which category DT falls under, but I guess probably the latter. MP is probably somewhere in between depending on the gig and venue (Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress at Prog Cruise vs Neal Morse Band at small performing arts theater in Denver).

The thing with MP, JP, and JR is that they seem to have several revenue streams such as endorsements and phone apps. I imagine a few of Portnoy's side projects also paid really well, namely A7X and Twisted Sister.

Anyway, dunno what the big deal is with whether SOA has longevity or how "relevant" they are. The last one is really a non issue, they're a bunch of middle aged guys playing prog.  :lol If the fans like the album and want more, I see no reason to think they won't do more. But lets hear the album first before trying to figure that out.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1934 on: September 12, 2017, 08:50:46 PM »
It remains to be seen whether Sons of Apollo make music that is considered relevant.

Given what we heard from the first single, I'm thinking not. And the only reason it seems anyone is talking about them at all is because Derek Sherinian is a troll on social media.
I don't understand this conversation. Why should we care what's popular or "considered relevant"? (by who, anyway?). Shouldn't we care about whether it's good or not?

I doubt they achieve an album that is considered relevant among their own niche fans when all is said and done. An album that is relevant to the greater music industry would be nothing short of a miracle  ;D

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #1935 on: September 13, 2017, 04:58:32 AM »
My interview is today!! I'm excited as hell. I've noted your questions and I'll try to ask them. I'm a bit afraid knowing that they want to depart from DT (have you seen the new documentary on Planet X, where Mike says that it was the other members' fault if Derek was fired...) and that they have started a one way competition witht the band. Hopefully everything will turn great. Stay tuned for the interview ;)
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1936 on: September 13, 2017, 05:21:08 AM »
(have you seen the new documentary on Planet X, where Mike says that it was the other members' fault if Derek was fired...)

Mike and JP play with Jordan in LTE, and it's LaBrie and Myung that go "dudes, why don't we get that keyboardist in the band?"  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1937 on: September 13, 2017, 07:01:38 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_zeR1rc59E
In this documentary, around 8:30 mark? MP didn't say that.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1938 on: September 13, 2017, 07:29:18 AM »

Yeah he really didn't but kinda hinted that he was cool with Derek, but whatever. My biggest takeaway from that doc is that DS apparently has had this "competitive" fire against DT since they fired him way back in the day. I honestly had no clue that was the case.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1939 on: September 13, 2017, 07:48:57 AM »
I understood that he was closer to Derek on a personal level more than the other members. But he indicates that the other guys got along well with Derek too, although mentioning some general personal differences, apparently not crucial to dismiss Derek. But nowhere near blaming the decision to dismiss Derek only to them. IMO which it would very hipocrite to MP to allege that.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1940 on: September 13, 2017, 07:52:46 AM »
Wasn't it MP that wanted a more progressive keyboard player and working with JR on LTE helped that conclusion?  Or was that the way JP felt as well?  I can't remember.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1941 on: September 13, 2017, 08:06:37 AM »

Yeah he really didn't but kinda hinted that he was cool with Derek, but whatever. My biggest takeaway from that doc is that DS apparently has had this "competitive" fire against DT since they fired him way back in the day. I honestly had no clue that was the case.
It was mentioned a fair bit earlier in this thread (in the context of why he started Planet X), but yeah before that I wasn't aware of it either.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1942 on: September 13, 2017, 08:30:16 AM »
Regardless of the back and forth about the insulting Twitter prods and other non music related on goings.....the fact of the matter for me is the sample music that has been released thus far has done nothing to entice me to listen to it. It hasn't peeked my interest and in fact...to my ears....sounds like a mish mash of cliche' riffs and screams, sounds etc.

I'll still listen to the album on the chance that the epic they've spoken about is knock down great and with that assortment of talent there HAS to be some cool output on this album. I just really question what has been given to us to wet our appetites. I'd expect the teasers to be an appetizer and IMO all we've gotten is the standard warm glass of water when you first sit down at the table.   
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Art

« Reply #1943 on: September 13, 2017, 08:35:22 AM »
They'll sell a couple thousand copies, make one, maybe two albums, and then it'll be over.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1944 on: September 13, 2017, 08:40:12 AM »
They'll sell a couple thousand copies, make one, maybe two albums, and then it'll be over.

Two weeks

Twwwooo weeekss

A cookie to whoever gets the reference.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1945 on: September 13, 2017, 09:25:59 AM »

Yes, he seemed to have a bit of an ax to grind. Some of the Planet X music sounds very complicated and cool but not much repeat value.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1946 on: September 13, 2017, 09:36:41 AM »

:lol :lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1947 on: September 13, 2017, 09:47:21 AM »
the guy is a millionaire

Well, yeah, "millionaire" implies that he actually has a net worth (i.e., total assets minus total liabilities) in excess of $1M.  And it is possible he does.  I can't say.  But a huge house alone doesn't tell the story.  If the house is worth, say, $1.5M, but he has a $1M balance on his mortgage, the net value of his home is only $500k. 

Does he have a million in net assets?  I guess it wouldn't surprise me.  I would guess a bit shy of that, but I obviously don't know.  Does he have $8 million?  Possible, but I highly doubt it.  Those "net worth" sites don't have all the facts when they project what somebody's "net worth" is.  And when it comes to entertainers, especially musicians, the math gets really fuzzy.  For instance, they may value his share of future royalties from Images & Words at $1M.  Does that mean he will see $1M in royalties from I&W?  Maybe; maybe not.  Does that mean he could liquidate that asset right now and actually have $1M?  Absolutely not. 

Bottom line is, we're all just speculating, but it's silly and probably very wrong to assume that just because he has a lot of stuff and toured with A7X that he has millions in net assets.

Anyway, sorry for that tangent.  Now back to SoA:  I liked the clip.  It doesn't give away a lot.  But it's pretty good.  Consistent with the first song that was released.  I can say that, as far as the music, I'm definitely interested.  Can't say how much I will ultimately like or it whether it will have any lasting staying power.  Time will tell.  But it's enough that I am interested for sure. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1948 on: September 13, 2017, 11:06:42 AM »
I heard in a podcast with Derek that all members have cleared their schedules in 2018 to allow for touring with Sons of Apollo. But isn't Mike also recording Metal Allegiance II and Flying Colors III? I know that FC tours albeit for shorter periods, so how will this work?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1949 on: September 13, 2017, 11:15:41 AM »
I heard in a podcast with Derek that all members have cleared their schedules in 2018 to allow for touring with Sons of Apollo. But isn't Mike also recording Metal Allegiance II and Flying Colors III? I know that FC tours albeit for shorter periods, so how will this work?

My bet is that he'll focus on SOA for most of 2018, but when 2019 comes, he'll go back to touring with his other bands.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1950 on: September 13, 2017, 11:32:49 AM »

Mike always finds a way. The past clearly shows that he has a thing for finding the perfect timeframe for everything so I wouldn't worry about that.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1951 on: September 13, 2017, 12:10:39 PM »

In his own words from his twitter a few weeks ago I think.

One has nothing to do with the other...haven't I proved I'm more than capable of juggling them ALL??
SOA, TWD, NMB, FC, TA, MA, TSF, TS, etc

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1952 on: September 13, 2017, 12:18:42 PM »

Metal Allegiance has never been a touring outfit, moreso something that happens when it works out with enough people's main bands being booked in festivals. Their first album release just saw two nights worth of shows in NYC. If I remember correctly, the FC tour for the second album was fairly brief. They could probably fit a run of shows in between more substantial North America and Europe tours for SoA.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #1953 on: September 13, 2017, 12:34:19 PM »
I've come back from my interview with the guys. It will be published in October (near the release date). It was a lot of fun. We talked about the tweets and Derek said that it was just some off-beat humour.
However they made some references to DT that were hilarious (like concidering to do a Metropolis pt 3 just to piss the overzealous fans off).
We've got some great news concerning the setlist and a great description of all the tracks.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1954 on: September 13, 2017, 12:55:49 PM »
We've got some great news concerning the setlist

Oh great, they're playing Lines in the Sand then????

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1955 on: September 13, 2017, 12:57:32 PM »
We've got some great news concerning the setlist and a great description of all the tracks.

Sounds really cool!  I'm tempted to ask you to provide some details.  But reading between the lines, it sounds like you need to keep some of that under wraps until the appropriate time.

However they made some references to DT that were hilarious (like concidering to do a Metropolis pt 3 just to piss the overzealous fans off).

:rollin  That would be hilarious.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1956 on: September 13, 2017, 01:29:59 PM »
I've come back from my interview with the guys. It will be published in October (near the release date). It was a lot of fun. We talked about the tweets and Derek said that it was just some off-beat humour.

Awesome, excited to see/read the interview.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1957 on: September 13, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »

About as hilarious as them talking shit about the fans, then whining when the fans do the same. If Mike followed his own forum rules, he would have banned himself a long time ago.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1958 on: September 13, 2017, 02:07:05 PM »

About as hilarious as them talking shit about the fans, then whining when the fans do the same. If Mike followed his own forum rules, he would have banned himself a long time ago.

Not enough +1 in the world for this

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1959 on: September 13, 2017, 02:58:27 PM »

Metal Allegiance has never been a touring outfit, moreso something that happens when it works out with enough people's main bands being booked in festivals. Their first album release just saw two nights worth of shows in NYC. If I remember correctly, the FC tour for the second album was fairly brief. They could probably fit a run of shows in between more substantial North America and Europe tours for SoA.

I'd be surprised if those two writing/recording sessions take more than a fortnight with the way they work. And FC has Neil Morse 😀