Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 307645 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #1820 on: September 09, 2017, 11:07:47 AM »
I also love Labrie's unique voice, but for me, that's an exception, not the norm.  I've also known a few people who were turned off from DT just by the vocals alone.

I'm willing to bet they're all too young to have lived through 80s rock vocals. LaBrie's type of voice wasn't even slightly atypical in the late 80s/early 90s mainstream hard rock/metal landscape and his performances on I&W and Awake are stellar. It's hard to imagine they could possibly have found a more appropriate singer at that time and I believe he was a large part of what lifted them up out of the little leagues, which is where they were with WDaDU, which was little more than a curiosity.

Well, I think we're fighting a losing cause in trying to put things in context, since for some it doesn't matter, but think about it:  LaBrie joined in, what, 1991?  Who was big then:

Damn Yankees (1989)
LA Guns had a huge hit with "Never Enough" in 1989
Slaughter had a huge hit with "Fly To The Angels" in 1990
Skid Row had huge hits with "18 and Life" and "I Remember You" in 1989

Paul Stanley - in the Kiss box set, I think it was - talked about the late 80's as being a time when the music called for a more soaring, higher register vocal that taxed his limits as a singer.   

LaBrie as singer was not at all a stretch, and not at all an unusual move for that time, and I think given that the music was a cross of different genres, was a brilliant move tying it all into something "recognizable".

Wanted to jump in on this real quick. I don't think it's the high pitched vocals that make people say LaBrie is unique. It's just his voice. Sure, people who don't already listen to bands with high pitched vocals might find him even more different, but that's not the only reason. No one sounds like him and he doesn't sound like anyone else. I didn't grow up listening to eighties bands, but came to love Queensryche and Iron Maiden later on. And I have heard countless singers who sound like one of those two, or at least in the ball park. Or Dio. Russell Allen often sounded like Dio and the guy from Boston. LaBrie has said Steve Perry and Mercury were influences, but he doesn't sound like them. I lot of friends of mine are 80s metal people, and some had as hard a time with LaBrie as anyone else.  Some like him, but they like him because he is so different. Just food for thought. It could well be that some just aren't used to the high vocals, but I don't think that's the main reason people call him different.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1821 on: September 09, 2017, 11:17:45 AM »
With MP in the band, DT did spend a good period writing songs for a singer they didn't have. JLB was perfect for them when he joined, and I love his voice.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1822 on: September 09, 2017, 04:21:30 PM »
For me personally this was the last straw actually. Fuck it, I'm not going buy their album and support this kind of asshole behaviour, or even bother to listen to their songs. Just a personal choice, I don't expect people here to agree with me.

I 100% agree with you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1823 on: September 09, 2017, 06:42:12 PM »
I also love Labrie's unique voice, but for me, that's an exception, not the norm.  I've also known a few people who were turned off from DT just by the vocals alone.

I'm willing to bet they're all too young to have lived through 80s rock vocals. LaBrie's type of voice wasn't even slightly atypical in the late 80s/early 90s mainstream hard rock/metal landscape and his performances on I&W and Awake are stellar. It's hard to imagine they could possibly have found a more appropriate singer at that time and I believe he was a large part of what lifted them up out of the little leagues, which is where they were with WDaDU, which was little more than a curiosity.

Well, I think we're fighting a losing cause in trying to put things in context, since for some it doesn't matter, but think about it:  LaBrie joined in, what, 1991?  Who was big then:

Damn Yankees (1989)
LA Guns had a huge hit with "Never Enough" in 1989
Slaughter had a huge hit with "Fly To The Angels" in 1990
Skid Row had huge hits with "18 and Life" and "I Remember You" in 1989

Paul Stanley - in the Kiss box set, I think it was - talked about the late 80's as being a time when the music called for a more soaring, higher register vocal that taxed his limits as a singer.   

LaBrie as singer was not at all a stretch, and not at all an unusual move for that time, and I think given that the music was a cross of different genres, was a brilliant move tying it all into something "recognizable".

Wanted to jump in on this real quick. I don't think it's the high pitched vocals that make people say LaBrie is unique. It's just his voice. Sure, people who don't already listen to bands with high pitched vocals might find him even more different, but that's not the only reason. No one sounds like him and he doesn't sound like anyone else. I didn't grow up listening to eighties bands, but came to love Queensryche and Iron Maiden later on. And I have heard countless singers who sound like one of those two, or at least in the ball park. Or Dio. Russell Allen often sounded like Dio and the guy from Boston. LaBrie has said Steve Perry and Mercury were influences, but he doesn't sound like them. I lot of friends of mine are 80s metal people, and some had as hard a time with LaBrie as anyone else.  Some like him, but they like him because he is so different. Just food for thought. It could well be that some just aren't used to the high vocals, but I don't think that's the main reason people call him different.

First off, Stadler, Damn Yankees and especially LA Guns were  never big! :P

Labrie is incredible. It's not just the high pitched stuff. It's that he's able to convey emotion. One of you said that they weren't writing music suited for him, yet on both SC and BC&SL, he sang flawlessly, even though his range isn't really challenged. Just look at the BC&SL Cover Album. Labrie f'n RULES it. My only complaint was that the To Tame A Land was not vocals were not recorded in those sessions.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1824 on: September 11, 2017, 05:46:57 AM »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1826 on: September 11, 2017, 06:55:48 AM »
https://youtu.be/de4z6-YcpUs

Thanks for the link, nothing new though. We practicaly heard the same in previous teaser, but it means that sth is coming ;p Coming Home ;)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1827 on: September 11, 2017, 07:10:50 AM »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #1828 on: September 11, 2017, 07:30:21 AM »

The intro was cool but when it got to the main riff I was like... meh. Looking forward to hearing the whole song though.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1829 on: September 11, 2017, 07:35:20 AM »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1830 on: September 11, 2017, 07:57:02 AM »
Liked the little vocal part.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1831 on: September 11, 2017, 08:03:53 AM »
Can't get anymore stereotype prog metal cheesyness with two double necked instruments.  :metal

That keyboard intro was pretty sweet. Intro snippet reminded me a bit of the The Who prog metal style.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1833 on: September 11, 2017, 08:12:43 AM »
Hm, actually I was pretty let down by everything but that one vocal note. The keyboard riff sounds like something I'd hear from any number of the typical prog metal bands these days.

Ah well, still hope.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1834 on: September 11, 2017, 08:32:08 AM »

After reading all of Derek's annoying tweets I was dying to hear some new music. Now that I have, I prefer Derek's tweets, at least they promoted conversation and discussion.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1835 on: September 11, 2017, 08:33:17 AM »
My thoughts exactly, Adami... That riff sounds like a less interesting version of Symphony X's Legend - at least, that's what came to mind right away.

Hope there's not much of that screaming on the record.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1837 on: September 11, 2017, 08:51:16 AM »
Hm, actually I was pretty let down by everything but that one vocal note. The keyboard riff sounds like something I'd hear from any number of the typical prog metal bands these days.

Ah well, still hope.

Yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

:lol

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1839 on: September 11, 2017, 09:20:17 AM »
Deleted

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1840 on: September 11, 2017, 09:24:10 AM »
It was absurd long before my post and furthermore it doesn't seem like you have an open mind.  Could it be that we have actually just examined the evidence and thought, "Yup.  It seems to be pointed in this direction." 

While sarcasm may not be to your taste, the "You just don't know" argument also seems to be one of the lowest forms of debate.  Of course nobody knows.  You also don't know that Derek and Mike don't hate John and Jordan's guts and are hoping their feelings are hurt.  I don't think that but hey, I guess I don't know for sure. 

What's actually kind of alarming though is that you apparently don't know you posted something blatantly false about James.  He never said "We're happier now that Mike's gone" or whatever misquote you wrote.  That's not one you can chalk up to, "Ya just don't know."  We know for a fact that he never said that.  At least publicly.  Private conversation with family?  Ok, I guess we don't know.  But we have no evidence that ever happened.

Wrong:   https://www.antimusic.com/news/11/july/ts12LaBrie_Says_Dream_Theater_Are_Better_Without_Mike_Portnoy.shtml
https://rocknewsdesk.com/world-news/labrie-dream-theater-is-better-without-portnoy/2496/

"We are better and happier now without Mike".    Boom.   

As for "open mind", you're missing one KEY point:  I'm not at ALL saying JUST that "we don't know".  Of course we never REALLY know, and there's nothing wrong ABSENT ANY OTHER INFORMATION to draw conclusions.  My beef is when we IGNORE information that contradicts our conclusions only to stick with our conclusion or justify our emotions.    We KNOW there is more to the story. It's not as if I am just speculating that there MIGHT be more.  I get it, I'm not at all dumb.  I know there's a chance that OJ didn't kill Nicole, but reasonable doubt says he did.  I understand it (probably better than my posts indicate).   BUT, we have three people that know him personally, spoke to him about it, and have worked with him repeatedly (one, I know for a fact - because I was there - regularly speaks to him) who say we don't have the full story.  Yet, some of you refuse to acknowledge that, refuse to accommodate that, and to me that's the equivalent of finding your wife naked in bed with the postman on top of her and saying "but no, she's not cheating.  Nope."   

So if your main argument has been repeated over and over that you can just never know, why do you all of the sudden think you know that I don't care about other peoples opinions.  That's what was the most bizarre about your argument.  In this instance, you clearly don't know...especially on a day where I gave a shoutout to a coworker for always being willing to debate despite our opposite opinions and always maintaining a great working relationship and friendship despite our political differences.  Are you just being indignant?  Sensitive?  Honest question.  I thought we were told not to be sensitive and yet now I'm being called names because it seems I touched a nerve.  This whole time I was having fun.  Again, the people that tell me not be sensitive (even though I wasn't) and we should just have fun with it (which I feel I was) have a big problem with this?

See above; it's not as simple as "you can just never know".   If you meet someone for the first time and say "hi there!" and they say "Go fuck yourself", you don't know why that happened, but you'd be fine and reasonable to say "that's a dick".   BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO OTHER INFORMATION.    An important part of my argument is that you can't ignore evidence that doesn't support your emotional conclusion, and I see a lot of that here.   

As for the rest, I am honestly lost.  I'm NOT sensitive. I don't carry any of this with me.  That doesn't mean I can't respond to false arguments or ad hominem arguments.  If you said something to me (I honestly don't recall) and you were joking and I didn't seem like I took it that way, that's on me, my bad.  I have no animosity to anyone here, and my feelings for people are not based on whether they agree with me or not.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1841 on: September 11, 2017, 09:26:38 AM »

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1842 on: September 11, 2017, 09:30:57 AM »

24 seconds is tough to judge anything on. But it hasn't swayed me from looking forward to the album. The one thing I am concerned about (only as so far as my personal tastes are concerned) is that JSS just doesn't sing really high, clean notes. As evident with that clip, he screams. That's fine in spots. But I've seen JSS on a number of TSO tours and once with Journey 11 years ago. Even in Journey, he needed Deen Castronovo to do the real high stuff. Perhaps MP and DS have just moved on from the tenor high notes. And that's fine. But I was hoping there would be some of that. And I don't think there will be, at least with JSS singing for them. Those days for him are long gone...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1843 on: September 11, 2017, 09:40:59 AM »
Umm....ok. What was the point of that short snippet. Would've rather had the whole song instead, so I can decide wheter I enjoyed it.

All that did was get me thinking about The Who.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.

Offline LPMX

« Reply #1845 on: September 11, 2017, 10:04:06 AM »
Anyone else felt like singing "Welcome to the jungle" after that intro?  :biggrin:

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1846 on: September 11, 2017, 10:08:48 AM »
Anyone else felt like singing "Welcome to the jungle" after that intro?  :biggrin:

There's an 80's metal song that I want to sing to but can't remember the song .
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1847 on: September 11, 2017, 10:12:53 AM »

24 seconds is tough to judge anything on. But it hasn't swayed me from looking forward to the album. The one thing I am concerned about (only as so far as my personal tastes are concerned) is that JSS just doesn't sing really high, clean notes. As evident with that clip, he screams. That's fine in spots. But I've seen JSS on a number of TSO tours and once with Journey 11 years ago. Even in Journey, he needed Deen Castronovo to do the real high stuff. Perhaps MP and DS have just moved on from the tenor high notes. And that's fine. But I was hoping there would be some of that. And I don't think there will be, at least with JSS singing for them. Those days for him are long gone...

I happen to agree with you on this point.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1848 on: September 11, 2017, 10:19:29 AM »
It was absurd long before my post and furthermore it doesn't seem like you have an open mind.  Could it be that we have actually just examined the evidence and thought, "Yup.  It seems to be pointed in this direction." 

While sarcasm may not be to your taste, the "You just don't know" argument also seems to be one of the lowest forms of debate.  Of course nobody knows.  You also don't know that Derek and Mike don't hate John and Jordan's guts and are hoping their feelings are hurt.  I don't think that but hey, I guess I don't know for sure. 

What's actually kind of alarming though is that you apparently don't know you posted something blatantly false about James.  He never said "We're happier now that Mike's gone" or whatever misquote you wrote.  That's not one you can chalk up to, "Ya just don't know."  We know for a fact that he never said that.  At least publicly.  Private conversation with family?  Ok, I guess we don't know.  But we have no evidence that ever happened.

Wrong:   https://www.antimusic.com/news/11/july/ts12LaBrie_Says_Dream_Theater_Are_Better_Without_Mike_Portnoy.shtml
https://rocknewsdesk.com/world-news/labrie-dream-theater-is-better-without-portnoy/2496/

As for "open mind", you're missing one KEY point:  I'm not at ALL saying JUST that "we don't know".  Of course we never REALLY know, and there's nothing wrong ABSENT ANY OTHER INFORMATION to draw conclusions.  My beef is when we IGNORE information that contradicts our conclusions only to stick with our conclusion or justify our emotions.    We KNOW there is more to the story. It's not as if I am just speculating that there MIGHT be more.  I get it, I'm not at all dumb.  I know there's a chance that OJ didn't kill Nicole, but reasonable doubt says he did.  I understand it (probably better than my posts indicate).   BUT, we have three people that know him personally, spoke to him about it, and have worked with him repeatedly (one, I know for a fact - because I was there - regularly speaks to him) who say we don't have the full story.  Yet, some of you refuse to acknowledge that, refuse to accommodate that, and to me that's the equivalent of finding your wife naked in bed with the postman on top of her and saying "but no, she's not cheating.  Nope."   

So if your main argument has been repeated over and over that you can just never know, why do you all of the sudden think you know that I don't care about other peoples opinions.  That's what was the most bizarre about your argument.  In this instance, you clearly don't know...especially on a day where I gave a shoutout to a coworker for always being willing to debate despite our opposite opinions and always maintaining a great working relationship and friendship despite our political differences.  Are you just being indignant?  Sensitive?  Honest question.  I thought we were told not to be sensitive and yet now I'm being called names because it seems I touched a nerve.  This whole time I was having fun.  Again, the people that tell me not be sensitive (even though I wasn't) and we should just have fun with it (which I feel I was) have a big problem with this?

See above; it's not as simple as "you can just never know".   If you meet someone for the first time and say "hi there!" and they say "Go fuck yourself", you don't know why that happened, but you'd be fine and reasonable to say "that's a dick".   BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO OTHER INFORMATION.    An important part of my argument is that you can't ignore evidence that doesn't support your emotional conclusion, and I see a lot of that here.   

As for the rest, I am honestly lost.  I'm NOT sensitive. I don't carry any of this with me.  That doesn't mean I can't respond to false arguments or ad hominem arguments.  If you said something to me (I honestly don't recall) and you were joking and I didn't seem like I took it that way, that's on me, my bad.  I have no animosity to anyone here, and my feelings for people are not based on whether they agree with me or not.

I don't see him say happier. Kind of misleading title to the article. It is certainly implied though.

The singer says: “We were talking about how everything is much more balanced and everyone is in their role or their position.

“It’s where things should be on stage where it’s not somebody in the background trying to grab the limelight, when maybe they should just be grooving or whatever.

“But that’s Mike’s character: he’s big and he wants to be in the limelight. The problem with that is it takes away from the bigger picture: the band as a unit.

“A lot of people have been commenting since we started out on this tour. They’re saying, ‘It feels more like watching a band, with somebody up front singing and interacting, and everybody else just back there.

“There’s always moments when the spotlight’s on the other members, and it should be. But it creates more of a balance.

“We were talking about it and saying, ‘You know, this is really cool – it feels like a unit.’ So it’s a lot better.”

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1849 on: September 11, 2017, 10:30:14 AM »

You, Stadler, the man who is always trying to cite factual information and chastising others for not doing the same, quote something that isn't even said by JLB in the articles, and then present it as a mic drop moment. Really?? Looks like you picked a headline and ran with it without reading. Ironic, my friend.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1850 on: September 11, 2017, 10:35:58 AM »
Boom.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1851 on: September 11, 2017, 10:40:46 AM »

1st promise broken.

Derek Sherinian‏ @DerekSherinian  Sep 1
More
 No asshole puckering high vocal shreiks in SONS OF APOLLO!! We promise!@

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1852 on: September 11, 2017, 10:45:08 AM »
Well he's half right, my asshole didn't pucker.

I definitely winced though.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1853 on: September 11, 2017, 10:56:37 AM »

You, Stadler, the man who is always trying to cite factual information and chastising others for not doing the same, quote something that isn't even said by JLB in the articles, and then present it as a mic drop moment. Really?? Looks like you picked a headline and ran with it without reading. Ironic, my friend.

AND

Boom.

Those interviews referred to a statement given by James on "Used Bin Radio", and he was clear.   If you don't think "not sad at all" and "excited" don't in any way shape or form imply "happy", well, you're right.  You got me.  Winner! 

"You know what?! I'm not sad at all. I've gotta be honest with you." and "We're excited, we're really looking forward to the next chapter."
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/interviews/dream_theater_singer_not_sad_at_all_following_portnoys_departure.html

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1854 on: September 11, 2017, 11:03:26 AM »

AND

Boom.

Those interviews referred to a statement given by James on "Used Bin Radio", and he was clear.   If you don't think "not sad at all" and "excited" don't in any way shape or form imply "happy", well, you're right.  You got me.  Winner! 

"You know what?! I'm not sad at all. I've gotta be honest with you." and "We're excited, we're really looking forward to the next chapter."
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/interviews/dream_theater_singer_not_sad_at_all_following_portnoys_departure.html

Typically when you put something in quotes in means that is exactly what is said. So when you put "We are better and happier now without Mike".    Boom.  it made it seem like you are quoting James and not just interpreting his words.