A Life Left Behind
6 (20.7%)
A Tempting Offer
6 (20.7%)
Moment Of Betrayal
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: March 12, 2017, 06:10:23 AM

Author Topic: Dream Theater Survivor 2017 - The Astonishing - Round 19 - TOP FIVE!!!  (Read 735 times)

Offline The Letter M

The Astonishing
A Better Life
Three Days
A Life Left Behind
A Tempting Offer
Moment Of Betrayal

Round 18's Results:
A Better Life 5 (18.5%)
A Savior In The Square 9 (33.3%)
Three Days 3 (11.1%)
A Life Left Behind 5 (18.5%)
A Tempting Offer 4 (14.8%)
Moment Of Betrayal 1 (3.7%)

06. A Savior In The Square
07. Dystopian Overture
08. The Path That Divides
09. Lord Nafaryus
10. A New Beginning
11. The Gift Of Music
12. The X Aspect
13. Ravenskill
14. Heaven's Cove
15. When Your Time Has Come
16. The Walking Shadow
17. Our New World
18. Chosen
19. The Road To Revolution
20. Astonishing
21. The Answer
      Act Of Faythe
      My Last Farewell
24. Brother, Can You Hear Me?
25. Hymn Of A Thousand Voices
26. Begin Again
27. Losing Faythe
28. 2285 Entr'acte
29. Whispers On The Wind
30. Digital Discord
      Machine Chatter
32. Descent Of The Nomacs
      The Hovering Sojourn
      Power Down

"A Savior In The Square" is out, and now we're down to the top five remaining songs. As a reminder, since this is a double, I'm employing my typical "5th/6th place songs go to Consolation & top four go to Finals" results-plan, so this round will determine which of these songs will go to the Finals!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
ALLB

As a reminder, since this is a double, I'm employing my typical "5th/6th place songs go to Consolation & top four go to Finals" results-plan, so this round will determine which of these songs will go to the Finals!

Well that's a relief. By that logic...all 6 Six Degrees songs are moving on!

But really quantity over quality should not dictate an album like this getting 4 songs to the finals  and an album like Images and Words only getting 2.

Offline MirrorMask

But really quantity over quality should not dictate an album like this getting 4 songs to the finals  and an album like Images and Words only getting 2.

Well, speaking generally, once I've seen the concept applied for, I believe, the Yes survivor, I fell in love with the idea of having an album survivor first, that determines which albums get most songs in the final.

Take Iron Maiden for example, all the classic albums have 8 songs, and so the critically panned Virtual XI, it's unbalanced that they all have 2 songs surviving anyway. Or, to stay in DT territory, Black Clouds which is controversial has six songs (so 33% of the album goes to the finals and 50% survives), Scenes which is loved by almost everyone has the double of songs but still gets 2 songs.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

A Better Life

Not a bad song by any means, but not even remotely close to the greatness of the other four.

Offline jakepriest

Three Fucking Days

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Wait, how has A Tempting Offer made it this far? I mean, it's a good song, but clearly the least best song on Disc 1 (minus the NOMAC songs), IMO.  I never see it get talked about, yet it's top 5 now??  Woah.

Offline MirrorMask

Wait, how has A Tempting Offer made it this far? I mean, it's a good song, but clearly the least best song on Disc 1 (minus the NOMAC songs), IMO.  I never see it get talked about, yet it's top 5 now??  Woah.

It happens because in a survivor format, the most polarizing songs get all the attention. A "famous" song has not the widespread acclaim one would think so it gets votes, also people's proper order gets disrupted by their favorite song(s) getting eliminated early, so they concentrate more on voting the songs that are outlasting their favorite... and so middle of the way song go by unnoticed until they're in the top five.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
life

Offline aprilethereal

A Tempting Offer

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
A Better Life.

1. The Path That Divides
2. The X Aspect
4. Ravenskill
5. A Savior in the Square
6. Heaven's Cove
9. The Walking Shadow
10. Our New World
12. A New Beginning
13. My Last Farewell
14. A Better Life
15. Hymn of a Thousand Voices
16. Dystopian Overture
17. Lord Nafaryus
18. Astonishing
19. 2285 Entr'acte
20. When Your Time Has Come
21. The Gift of Music
22. Chosen
23. Brother, Can You Hear Me?
24. Act of Faythe
25. Whispers on the Wind
26. Losing Faythe
27. The Road to Revolution
28. The Answer
29. Begin Again
NOMAC TRACKS

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Dream Theater Survivor 2017 - The Astonishing - Round 19 - TOP FIVE!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 01:03:53 PM »
can we finally eliminate a better life i've been voting it for like 10 rounds now

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 01:19:06 PM »
can we finally eliminate a better life i've been voting it for like 10 rounds now

amazing flight

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 02:13:50 PM »
^ :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 02:24:31 PM »
amazing life in space

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 03:23:45 PM »
ALLB

As a reminder, since this is a double, I'm employing my typical "5th/6th place songs go to Consolation & top four go to Finals" results-plan, so this round will determine which of these songs will go to the Finals!

Well that's a relief. By that logic...all 6 Six Degrees songs are moving on!

No one else has really questioned this method of my covering double albums before, and let's be honest, SDOIT is only a double because of the constraints of the physical medium.

If there's a HUGE objection to this method of advancing TA's songs, then I can post a poll about whether or not Top 4 should go to the Finals or just the Top 2 (as the other, shorter albums have doing).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 04:31:26 PM »
Three Days

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 06:04:06 PM »

It happens because in a survivor format, the most polarizing songs get all the attention. A "famous" song has not the widespread acclaim one would think so it gets votes, also people's proper order gets disrupted by their favorite song(s) getting eliminated early, so they concentrate more on voting the songs that are outlasting their favorite... and so middle of the way song go by unnoticed until they're in the top five.

Actually, that logic still doesn't explain (if something does it at all) why a song like ATO made it this far.. Because if the song is a least favorite to the vast majority, then it would be precisely a "polarizing song"..

I love almost the entire disc 1, and I'm cool with ATO being still here.. Best thing of the song, besides the main riff, the exchange and the chorus (now that I bring those sections to tha table I think it HAS been talked about several times), is the JR solo.. Without any doubt his best solo of the MM era..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 06:45:40 PM »
i'd be okay with just 2 songs going to finals and one going to consolation, personally  :corn

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 10:13:58 PM »
Three Days is still here?? What the fuck. I'm convinced you people are losing your minds.  :P

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 10:14:53 PM »
Three Days is still here?? What the fuck. I'm convinced you people are losing your minds.  :P

Ha ha ......HA HA HA...........HAHAHAHAHA!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 10:22:53 PM »
And that just kills the song.  :P

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2017, 03:24:24 AM »
A Tempting Offer is one of the songs on this album of which I don't have a single clue how any part of the song goes, at all.

A Life Left Behind on the other hand, I find actively annoying mostly due to the chorus (the Yes intro is pretty cool though), been voting for it for like 10 rounds and had no idea it was this popular.

It doesn't help either that for whatever reason, "IM WAKING UP" randomly pops up into my head at times, and I have no idea why because I literally hadn't heard this song in over half a year
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 05:36:29 AM »
A Tempting offer is a masterpiece. My 3rd favorite on the album. I'm absolutely thrilled it made it this far.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 07:00:45 AM »
A Tempting Offer is one of the songs on this album of which I don't have a single clue how any part of the song goes, at all.

It has one of the best vocal exchanges on the album.
HOW DARE YOU STEP INSIDE MY HOME?!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 07:07:32 AM »

It has one of the best vocal exchanges on the album.
HOW DARE YOU STEP INSIDE MY HOME?!

That was exactly what I wanted to post  :D brilliant moment of the album!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2017, 08:39:31 AM »
Just one of the plenty.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 09:58:35 AM »

I get all of that.  I think some vote out of spite more often than not in these survivors ("you voted out my favorite, so I will vote out yours"), which explains why A Tempting Offer is still alive and apparently going to make top four.