Author Topic: Road House  (Read 1232 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Road House
« on: March 10, 2017, 12:07:37 AM »
I have long been aware of this movie's cultural significance, but I had never seen it. It just so happens that it was on OnDemand, so I decided to give it a go.

I was not prepared for so much cheese. I mean, I enjoyed it, but wow. So many laughable scenes. The karate guy doing a flip on the stage, the cliche "stuntment through glass," the cheesy dialogue... it was so bad it's good.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline PetFish

Re: Road House
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 12:56:35 AM »
Yep, so bad it's good.  I think for me it's the redneck ninja that jumps the shark hard, otherwise it's not too bad, good fun.  The Family Guy where Peter Griffin does "Roadhouse" is gold.

RIP Jeff Healey

I wonder how he ended up in the movie?  Swayze must have been buddies with him.  It's awesome that a blind guy writes a ballad called "Angel Eyes" with lyrics like "Girl, you're lookin' fine tonight." and "I could look but I could never touch."  In the video he's playing a double-neck on his lap.  A great talent gone too soon.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 03:33:08 AM »
"Pain don't hurt"

I love roadhouse  :metal

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 04:15:32 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline T-ski

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 07:59:36 AM »
I thought you'd be bigger.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 09:21:14 AM »
I used to fuck guys like you in prison.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 03:12:57 PM »
One of the greatest bad movies. Swayze 100% sold that character.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2024, 04:28:13 PM »
remake with Jake Gyllenhaal trailer

https://gofobo.com/main/trailerDetails/254974560

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2024, 04:40:44 PM »
I used to fuck guys like you in prison.

Such a great line... the whole movie is loaded with great lines. The remake better not fuck it up.

Edit- checked the trailer...Conor McGregor? this will be....interesting...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2024, 05:07:24 PM »
It's an interesting spin. Jake is a good actor. I might check this out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Realm

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2024, 08:58:56 PM »
Love the original Road House. Like Commando it is one of those movies that is so bad and cheesy it is awesome. Patrick Swayze was so good.

Just watched the trailer for the remake and yeah it looks good. I previously was not that into it but now I’m  pretty keen to check this out.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2024, 08:16:22 AM »
Ugh, I can't stand Jake Gyllhenhall, and have ZERO interest in him remaking this movie.  The original was a classic on every level, and this... ugh.   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2024, 10:35:45 AM »
This is another example of the zero times in my life I said "You know, they really need to do a remake of <film>"

I should make a list of films I feel like I have seen, but might be remembering something that never happened. I guess it's possible I could have made it through my adolescence without seeing Road House. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2024, 12:56:55 PM »
The original movie bows. Why on earth do we need a remake? This is another reason why I don't go to the movies anymore.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2024, 02:03:53 PM »
I bow to the 1ST movie as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2024, 07:38:29 PM »
Just saw the trailer.  WOW.  That looks horrible; explosions, boats… everything the original was not (and what made the original glorious). 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2024, 02:31:29 AM »
Every Jack Reacher novel is basically a rip-off of Road House (even more so if you swap out Patrick for Steven Seagal!).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2024, 09:19:31 AM »
Every Jack Reacher novel is basically a rip-off of Road House (even more so if you swap out Patrick for Steven Seagal!).
Well, that's not accurate in any way.

I love the original film (so much so that when I see it is on while channel-surfing, my wife instantly rolls her eyes and makes a snide remark), and when I heard about the remake plan, I was instantly nauseous.  But the trailer makes it look like it's different enough to possibly be interesting, and the fact that I can catch it instantly on Prime without having to buy a movie ticket for it makes it more enticing.  Haven't decided yet, but I'm definitely intrigued.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2024, 06:50:49 PM »
My friends... Roadhouse bows to no one.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2024, 06:55:09 PM »
My friends... Roadhouse bows to no one.

This guy gets it.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2024, 07:28:01 AM »
Watched the remake.  Like the original it was OK.  Conor McGregor gives an odd (if entertaining) performance, at two hours it's probably a bit to long for such a basic premise - but worth a watch I guess.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2024, 09:41:45 AM »
Well, that's not accurate in any way.

I love the original film (so much so that when I see it is on while channel-surfing, my wife instantly rolls her eyes and makes a snide remark), and when I heard about the remake plan, I was instantly nauseous.  But the trailer makes it look like it's different enough to possibly be interesting, and the fact that I can catch it instantly on Prime without having to buy a movie ticket for it makes it more enticing.  Haven't decided yet, but I'm definitely intrigued.

I was - and still am - with you up to the "nauseous" part.  If it's different enough then don't trade on the memories.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2024, 11:18:24 AM »
This looks fun and even has at least one cheesy line in it.

I'm in!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2024, 06:17:32 PM »
I was - and still am - with you up to the "nauseous" part.  If it's different enough then don't trade on the memories.

Right. If it doesn't resemble the original in any meaningful way, if it is a wholly different film, give it a different name!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Realm

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2024, 06:40:38 PM »
As I stated above, I am a huge fan of the original Road House. Just one of those fun over the top action movies that you laugh along with and Patrick Swayze had a ton of charisma and is great in the lead role.

The new one is very average. The Florida setting was cool but everything else was just really lame. Jake Gyllenhaal is all pumped up and looks the part but his performance is very mute and quirky. He just comes across as a weirdo and as for Conor McGregor - I am not sure he is in the same movie...One of the strangest performances I have seen, what actually is that?? Bizarre.

Some of the fight scenes are good I guess but the story and acting just feels off. It also has only the bare bones of story connection to the first one so nearly could have just been a completely unrelated movie and not at all a remake.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2024, 08:37:00 PM »
Watching it now...this is absolutely horrible  :lol :lol

McGregor is so painful to watch. :lol :lol

I mean, I knew it wouldn't hold a candle to the original, an all time classic, but damn man.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: Today at 04:41:49 AM »
It was sooooo meh.