Author Topic: Alien: Romulus (First Teaser)  (Read 573 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Alien: Romulus (First Teaser)
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2024, 09:43:36 AM »
I mean, you watch what's on. I was not really thinking about continuity at that age, no. And just to clarify, this was the early 90s so it was either the theater, the video rental, or TV for movies back then.
:tup

BTW, I wasn't saying one way was better or worse.  Just explaining my viewpoint, that's all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2024, 10:21:08 AM »
???

You just watched it because it was on?

You were a different kid than I was.  Even as a kid, I wouldn't have watched a sequel, or chapter 3, or whatever, if I hadn't seen the ones preceding.  I would have assumed I would be lost or missed some crucial context.  It would never have occurred to me to watch Alien 3 if I hadn't seen Aliens.

I certainly saw Aliens before Alien - and I'm pretty sure when I first watched Aliens (as a kid in the 80's) I wasn't even aware of Alien.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2024, 11:44:23 AM »
Yeah I think if you don't have any particular interest in movies more than a casual watcher, especially as a small child, it really doesn't matter which order you watch a series. A cool movie is just a cool movie at that point. I remember I saw the third Matrix movie in theaters when I was 9, never even occurred to me as an issue that I hadn't seen either of the two prior ones, because the finer details of the strange plots weren't interesting to me anyways back then. I just liked the cool people going pow-pow and the big guns going pew-pew.

Offline HOF

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2024, 12:43:58 PM »
At that point in time, I think it was just something that my older brother was into so we watched it when it was on (he had probably seen earlier movies at that point).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2024, 12:14:46 PM »
Another interesting thing with Alien at least with the first 3 is that they were all made in different decades. I think that's also worth considering why some might have seen Aliens before Alien for example. I remember Aliens was still quite a talked about movie when I was a kid (among other kids at school) and that was in the mid 90s probably a few years after Alien 3 came out on VHS even.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2024, 12:59:11 PM »
I never thought about that specifically (that they came out in different decades) but the Alien movies are all different from each other.  Also, I don't think movies back then were as "franchise-crazy" as they are nowadays.  There was more of an effort to make each film somewhat standalone, at least a little bit, and there were contextual clues to help you out if you hadn't seen earlier entries in the series.  Franchises today are practically like episodes of a TV series sometimes, with long story arcs continuing through each entry and significant loss of continuity if you haven't seen everything that came before.

I guess that's a long-winded way of saying that I could see watching Alien3 by itself and enjoying it.