Author Topic: What is your job and do you like it?  (Read 8483 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: What is your job and do you like it?
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2017, 06:14:22 PM »
Account Manager in Transportation, for the logistics side of a major trucking company.  Our office is about 15 miles from the trucking office.

Yes, I like my job a lot.  It is a lot of meticulous details and keeping a million things in order, which is perfect for my brain. :lol :lol

I deal with you jerks all the time. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2017, 06:19:10 PM »
Account Manager in Transportation, for the logistics side of a major trucking company.  Our office is about 15 miles from the trucking office.

Yes, I like my job a lot.  It is a lot of meticulous details and keeping a million things in order, which is perfect for my brain. :lol :lol

:lol :lol

We have a handful of shippers that drive me nuts.  I sent you our BOL for a reason, numb nuts, so it gets routed correctly, but hey, look, the LTL carrier is already taking it somewhere else because you are too dumb to follow my instructions, ones you confirmed, and made up your own BOL and gave it to the driver. :facepalm: :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2017, 06:22:35 PM »
 :lol

Yes sir!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2017, 06:25:33 PM »
LTL=Learning To Live :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2017, 09:35:12 PM »
I make dead animals taste good. :RJ:

By title, I'm a garde manger sous chef at a high end SF Bay Area hotel, my team and I take care of all cold aspects of banquet service. In the long run I do enjoy what I do and couldn't see myself doing much else (though working in a counseling environment with addicts/alcoholics has its appeal).

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2017, 03:51:58 AM »
I'm a genetic engineer, my speciality is cancer biology.

I like being in growing sience literally every moment. It keeps me updated. The things I don't like being unsocial due to over-activity. I don't even time to go shopping sometimes. And I need to see same faces everyday, they are all at least 15 years older than me. I'm the youngest one in my research lab.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 03:57:54 AM by SeRoX »
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2017, 04:32:27 AM »
I do customer service for an international brand, mostly chat but also phone calls and and occasionally e-mails.

As you can guess with 99% of customer service, I hate it. Not the assistance itself, I like to write so the chat medium is perfect for me, what I hate is being scapegoat for faults that are never mine, and that unlike internet trolls, you can't put customers in their place like one would do if someone on the web would be insulting, saying incorrect crap or patronizing.

I get along with coworkers just fine, and I don't know if it's good or bad - good in the sense that at least the people I have to work with are cool (most of them anyway), but that the office is just good enough to feel sometime tempted to go along and not actively search for another one every waking moment.

I would gladly quit for something else, anything office related that requires good writing skills, even if it's not in the technical field.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2017, 06:36:05 AM »

Yes sir!

This happened Thursday, and we discovered it first thing yesterday.  For a bit of disclosure, one of our customers is located on the west coast, but they have a midwest location where we always cross dock freight that comes from the east, and then move it all on a full truck load from the midwest to the west coast (it's more cost effective for our customer to do this).  In this case, the shipper used their own BOL based on the customer's request (which will always have the customer's home address), so when the LTL carrier picked it up, the BOL told them to move it from NJ to CA, instead of moving it to the midwest to cross dock.  This will cost our customer like four times as much money to move this ONE PALLET (which is literally what it was) straight to CA, instead of having it cross docked and put on the truck that is already going to the west coast.  That shipper is gonna get an earful from our customer, to say the least. :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2017, 06:55:01 AM »
Kev, I ship only pallets and cardboard bales.  If you told me money could be made in just these 2 items I'd laugh but last year my site had a half million in sales alone.  Crazy!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2017, 07:33:41 AM »
That is pretty crazy.  But like I said before, despite my annoyance on occasion with shippers like that, I really do like my job a lot.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2017, 07:36:35 AM »

By title, I'm a garde manger sous chef at a high end SF Bay Area hotel, my team and I take care of all cold aspects of banquet service. In the long run I do enjoy what I do and couldn't see myself doing much else (though working in a counseling environment with addicts/alcoholics has its appeal).

What if you helped train recovering addicts in the culinaiy arts? That would be cool!
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2017, 07:39:42 AM »
I work at Citi in the institutional client group, which provides middle office and fund administration services for large investors that act like (but are not) hedge funds. Mostly insurance companies and state pensions. My team is responsible for pricing their OTC derivatives. If you've heard of credit default swaps from reading about the last crash or watching The Big Short, that would be one kind of investment that I look at on a daily basis.

All in all it's a pretty sweet gig for now. It's a lot of math and spending time in Excel, with some light VBA coding, all of which is right up my alley. I've got one colleague in the office with me in Jersey City, two employees who report to me in Columbus Ohio, and our boss is in Dublin Ireland. Having both your subordinates and your boss being hours away from me comes in handy when I'm having days where I'm... less motivated :lol The compensation started out a little low, but I've basically gotten the equivalent of just under a 15% annual raise (in more discrete chunks) and I'm finally bonus eligible :hat I also get almost 5 weeks off per year, which will go up by another week when I hit my five year anniversary next year.

The normal progression is to start somewhere like where I am and then make the jump to working on the other side at a fund. That's where the real money is. I'm planning on staying for a while yet because I feel like I still have a chance to develop my knowledge/skills some more here, and it's a bit more stable than working at a fund, which could shut down at any time through no fault of your own. That said, if I didn't have to worry about money I would probably go in on Monday and give my notice. I'd stay on as long as they wanted me to in terms of training/hiring a replacement, and then look to get a job at a craft brewery.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2017, 04:00:05 PM »
I'm a film composer but I also compose for other media & artists as well. I also do a bit of video production on the side. I absolutely love my job and the fact that I make my own hours (which can be insane sometimes).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2017, 06:10:17 PM »

We have a handful of shippers that drive me nuts.  I sent you our BOL for a reason, numb nuts, so it gets routed correctly, but hey, look, the LTL carrier is already taking it somewhere else because you are too dumb to follow my instructions, ones you confirmed, and made up your own BOL and gave it to the driver. :facepalm: :lol
Now see, people like you are the reason Jesus invented the 3PL. If something goes wrong it's my acct. mgr's problem. I'll let him and you fight it out. :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2017, 06:38:17 PM »
Third party. :lol. I love it!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2017, 07:28:52 PM »
I became a Store Manager for a major chain supermarket chain when I was 29. I did that job for 15 years. Then 3 years ago, I stepped down to a Grocery Department Manager position.
I have a special needs son, who when he was going into the 7th grade, our town could not really accommodate him, so he went to a school in a neighboring town. It really made no sense for my wife to take a step back. But we needed some flexibility in one of our schedules to help him.
I totally miss my job, and my back is killing me, but my son has had the best 3 years of schooling that he's ever had.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2017, 09:03:02 PM »

Now see, people like you are the reason Jesus invented the 3PL. If something goes wrong it's my acct. mgr's problem. I'll let him and you fight it out. :lol

Bring it.  :hat

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2017, 10:12:57 PM »
I like the work I do. How could I not? I work with computers and basically can control the world if I wanted to.  ;)  The problem is that I work with a bunch of inept morons whose work I have to constantly correct.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2017, 01:27:08 PM »

What if you helped train recovering addicts in the culinaiy arts? That would be cool!

One of my old bosses did that. Worked with ex cons in a restaurant environment teaching them skills to make them employable in the culinary field. Unfortunately funds ran out, it was a good program.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2017, 01:56:55 PM »
I'm a project engineer that does work with wireless telecommunications sites (Verizon, AT&T, etc.) and associated projects. I really do like my job since it's a good mesh between the ever evolving field of wireless and being on the front line of the latest network upgrades. I get to learn about a lot of things on my jobs like general plan design, some electrical designs, some mechanical designs, working with different municipalities, working one on one with different clients, etc. so it's expanding my capabilities as far as managing different aspects of the projects. The only bad part about what I do is that I've spent so much time with cell sites that I can't not see a cell site nowadays whether it be on a rooftop or a tower. You'd be surprised how many of them are out there if you knew how to spot them.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2017, 06:14:52 PM »

Bullshit.

By title, you're a badass motherfucker.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2017, 08:13:24 AM »
I'm in Marketing. Currently, I'm working for an engineering and environmental consulting firm as a Marketing Coordinator. My responsibilities vary from designing and writing proposals, to developing marketing material, simple graphics layout, print coordination, etc...

Generally speaking I like my job, my company treats us well and the people I work with are pretty cool. Some days it's very stressful, others not so much.

Can you say what firm?  I used to be counsel for an international engineering and environmental consulting firm headquartered out of Pennsylvania. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2017, 08:21:39 AM »
Basically, I sell trains.  I'm commercial counsel for a major international train manufacturer.   I love being an attorney - I've used that to be several different things - but if I had FY money, I would probably quit and either try my hand at songwriting or do something along the lines of Adami. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2017, 08:40:51 AM »
I'm in Marketing. Currently, I'm working for an engineering and environmental consulting firm as a Marketing Coordinator. My responsibilities vary from designing and writing proposals, to developing marketing material, simple graphics layout, print coordination, etc...

Generally speaking I like my job, my company treats us well and the people I work with are pretty cool. Some days it's very stressful, others not so much.

Can you say what firm?  I used to be counsel for an international engineering and environmental consulting firm headquartered out of Pennsylvania.

I'll PM you.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2017, 06:09:40 AM »
In-stores sales for AT&T.

Do I like it? That's a complicated question. I love the people I work with, I love two thirds of my managers, and I love that I barely have to do shit to make a pretty good amount of money.

Things I hate:

-Yelling customers,
-Old customers who think we are tech support.
-"I can't get my Facebook to work." Not my circus, not my monkeys. Do a password reset.
-Stupid customers. "My bill's messed up." No it isn't. You're just stupid and don't understand things. 1 out of 100 people who say their bill is messed up, have a messed up bill.

There's a lot more to add, but most of them would only be relatable to people who have worked there.

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2017, 06:43:50 AM »
I hear you on the bill thing, although there are times where the fine print gets glossed over and all the customer sees is the big fat number that's being advertised which is typically just the data plan and maybe the line access fee. Then add in any local taxes and fees (which most customers assume the wireless carrier is trying to shove in there despite being federally and state mandated for all carriers) and any additional things like phone insurance and you'll probably end up with a very confused customer who thinks you're trying to bend them over a barrel. I'll admit the advertising for these plans is only slightly dubious but outside of some changes here and there the general things you pay for (data, line access, taxes/fees) haven't changed in many years so, no, Mr. Customer the wireless company isn't trying to screw you with any hidden fees.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2017, 07:36:30 AM »
I became a Store Manager for a major chain supermarket chain when I was 29. I did that job for 15 years. Then 3 years ago, I stepped down to a Grocery Department Manager position.
I have a special needs son, who when he was going into the 7th grade, our town could not really accommodate him, so he went to a school in a neighboring town. It really made no sense for my wife to take a step back. But we needed some flexibility in one of our schedules to help him.
I totally miss my job, and my back is killing me, but my son has had the best 3 years of schooling that he's ever had.

You are 10lbs of awesome in a 5lb bucket.

I used to be a sales leader at a Fortune 100 company.  For 14-ish years, I loved the jobs that I did, the people, my customers (for the most part), the pay, suppliers, partners ... everything was just dandy.  The last year-ish or so, it was a grind.  Getting packaged out has been glorious.  Two weeks ago today, I was liberated, and I've loved the freedom it brought.  So, to answer the question of keeping my job if I had the money - no.  I'd do something that I enjoy, is relaxing, and whose primary purpose is not simply to pay the bills and fund my lifestyle.

Re: TV - I always pictured him as a <insert whatever> For Dummies writer.  Still fits the horror genre I suppose.

This has been a fascinating thread to see what we are all supposed to be doing when we're here.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2017, 07:40:13 AM »
This has been a fascinating thread to see what we are all supposed to be doing when we're here.   :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2017, 10:19:41 AM »
I'm whatever Gotham needs me to be.

Oh wait...wrong board.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2017, 02:36:46 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2017, 06:17:46 PM »

In all fairness, I almost never post from work.

On occasion, if I come home for lunch (I'm 10 minutes from home and I get an hour for lunch), I might hop online for a few and post in a thread or two.

That aside... :lol :lol :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2017, 06:20:32 PM »

:\    Ummm.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2017, 08:56:04 AM »
Materials Mgmt Analyst.  The job is fine.  The people are what make it so difficult.  Thankless work.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2017, 08:38:57 AM »
Well, I am about 7 months into working as a pharmacist and I do really enjoy it. Working as a hospital pharmacist is a lot of fun. The people I work with are crazy eccentrics and there's a lot of laughs all day long. The job itself is not too bad, and I work together as part of a team with multiple pharmacists and techs to get the job done, so we all kind of divide the work up so its not bad at all.

It can definitely be tiring, but rarely if ever have I felt legit stressed out. Overall it just wears you down more than anything.

I really couldn't see myself doing anything else.

On the other hand, My best friend who works at Walgreens, is not a happy camper  :P  And If I am able to get him a job, I definitely will. 

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2017, 09:12:40 AM »
This is a fun thread!

I work in Quality Assurance for a medical device reprocessor. Basically we take used medical devices, clean them, and re-sterilize them. In quality assurance I make sure we aren't going to kill someone and that we follow federal regulations. I love what I do, but some people I work with are vile. This is another start up company, I think after this one pays out I'm gonna look at switching up careers somehow.