Author Topic: What is your job and do you like it?  (Read 8465 times)

Offline Art

Re: What is your job and do you like it?
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2017, 08:24:47 AM »
I work as a manager in a home-applliances e-commerce. I like it, i've been in the company since 2009, started as a salesman and worked my way up. It can be stressfull, but it's quite dynamic and i am well adjusted to it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2017, 09:04:46 AM »
I work for a commercial insurance company in the claims department.  We don't insure individuals, only businesses/organizations (mostly in or associated with the construction industry), with policies like workers comp, commercial auto, commercial fire, builders risk, general liability, umbrella, etc.

I like it quite a bit.  The pay is fair, even pretty good for the work I do, the people I work with are great, and the company puts forth quite an effort to create a good culture.  I am very fortunate.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2017, 09:07:48 AM »
I'm a Sausage Maker.  The job requires me to be very meticulous when adding all of the various ingredients as I have to take care to make sure that I don't wind up with bits of hair and torn fabric in the finished product.

I'm a Horror writer. I will never again do anything else.  ;)

I KNEW it... Jack Ketchum or Clive Barker?  Come on man, give it up.  By the way, nothing wrong with bits of hair and scalp in the finished product... little hair, little "Hand of Glory", little graveyard moss, you never know what the reader will turn up with.  Speed-iron machines marching down the streets, fighting with "the worm that doth corrupt" shambling beyond the stars... it's all good.

I'm a Mortgage Broker/ Insurance Agent for a small company in SW Virginia; we are blessed by The Lord to be successful (especially in the current regulatory environment).  When I say small, I mean small... the mortgage side has 5-employees (spread between three offices) and the insurance side has 2 (I don't count myself because I don't really do anything with the license).

The business owner and I have known each other most of our lives... went to school together, played AAU and school ball together, went to VA Tech, etc; he married his High School sweetheart, I married my High School sweetheart, and we all work together.  A family, in the truest sense of the word.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2017, 09:45:33 AM »
I'm an engineer/project manager for a medical device and sterilization company. I mostly like what I do. This is the best job I've ever had. That being said, I'd quit in a heartbeat if I didn't need to work to support my family.

This is a good point.

How many of you guys would keep your job (or something similar) if money wasn't a concern anymore?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2017, 09:46:36 AM »
I'm an engineer/project manager for a medical device and sterilization company. I mostly like what I do. This is the best job I've ever had. That being said, I'd quit in a heartbeat if I didn't need to work to support my family.

This is a good point.

How many of you guys would keep your job (or something similar) if money wasn't a concern anymore?

I'd do a complete 180. I'd never set foot near a cubicle or corporate office ever again.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2017, 09:50:04 AM »
If I had all the money I needed, I would quit my job tomorrow.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2017, 09:51:36 AM »
Dealing with personalities is the hardest thing about this job.

And this is why I work better with computers than people  :lol

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2017, 09:52:38 AM »
Commercial insurance agent.  I work for two salesmen as their main customer service rep.  Commute 50 miles each way (90 minute train ride into the city).  Thankfully they are awesome bosses and the agency I work for is incredible, with excellent support and the ability to work from home when I need to.  It makes the 13 hour days bearable, though I can't stand other commuters and the "me first" attitude that they have towards public transportation.  Pushing, shoving, blocking the aisles, rushing to try and get their favorite seats, saving seats, and just acting like obnoxious jerks on the train. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2017, 10:10:06 AM »
Yeah, I'm already doing a lot of that. I have always had a very hyperactive visual system (I see the color wheel of projectors, and I have outstanding hand-eye coordination), but I think that's haunting me when it comes to screen exposure. My visual system doesn't like all those sharp parallel lines.

Hm, sounds like the problem could be the PWM flicker of the backlight of your monitor, which on a cheaper monitor is even worse at lower brightnesses, and could cause your issues. You could try finding yourself a monitor that's flicker free.

You know, I think I'll look into this again. I had bought decent monitors for work (or so I thought) that had LED backlighting, but then I learned only recently that, as you say, anything but full brightness is actually achieved by (60Hz) PWM. I'm very sensitive to refresh rates.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2017, 10:19:54 AM »

Amen.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2017, 10:24:44 AM »
Yeah, I'm already doing a lot of that. I have always had a very hyperactive visual system (I see the color wheel of projectors, and I have outstanding hand-eye coordination), but I think that's haunting me when it comes to screen exposure. My visual system doesn't like all those sharp parallel lines.

Hm, sounds like the problem could be the PWM flicker of the backlight of your monitor, which on a cheaper monitor is even worse at lower brightnesses, and could cause your issues. You could try finding yourself a monitor that's flicker free.

You know, I think I'll look into this again. I had bought decent monitors for work (or so I thought) that had LED backlighting, but then I learned only recently that, as you say, anything but full brightness is actually achieved by (60Hz) PWM. I'm very sensitive to refresh rates.

Yeah, the majority of LED monitors have crappy PWM that will cause issues if you're sensitive to the refresh. You need one that specifically doesn't use PWM, which would probably mention flicker free as a feature. I think it's becoming more common recently.
I splashed out for an expensive graphics monitor for my video work, so it's flicker free, and calibrated to the correct recommended brightness to not destroy my retinas. I don't have any problems with spending the day at my computer, although I'm not as sensitive to flickering anyway.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2017, 10:29:32 AM »

If money wasn't a concern I would quit today. I think I would still like to do some work, probably some charity work or similar just to have something to do.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2017, 10:30:07 AM »

:lol   Yup.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
If I didn't have to work, I'd do a lot of home projects. Some of them still in technology, but a lot of them not.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2017, 11:17:13 AM »

People think I am weird because I come in to work early/ look forward to going to work, and actually, when people at my job start bitching about how much the place sucks, I pretend to go along with it just to fit in.

I like my job for a couple different reasons:

1. It has nothing to do with money/profits/profit margins. I just provide patient care.
2. Its challenging without being overwhelming, and I feel like I can use my mind to make things more efficient and it works.
3. The drama in the place is like a soap opera and I LOVE watching it. I don't get involved, but just sit back and enjoy the show.
4. Wearing pajamas (Scrubs) to work is incredible
5. The hours are all over the place. There is no such thing as (M-F) 9-5pm. Its like: work tuesday morning, off wednesday, work thursday evening, off friday, work on saturday off sunday. I feel so much better about my job when its scattered all over the place.

They money is sweet, but I would honestly do this job for free. It feels more like a hobby than a job.

The only other jobs I could see myself doing would be: Psychiatrist or homicide detective or just some detective of some sort. Maybe a snowboarding instructor as well.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:27:41 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2017, 12:44:12 PM »

I'm a Horror writer. I will never again do anything else.  ;)

Under which name do you write/publish? I'm interested to read your work.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2017, 12:50:59 PM »
Folks around these parts have been speculating about that for as long as I can remember. As far as I know, no one has ever figured that out.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2017, 12:52:59 PM »
We will never know.  That's ok.  He needs his privacy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2017, 12:53:19 PM »
Yeah, I'm curious too but can understand if Tempus wants to stay incognito.

But I think Bosk knows?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2017, 01:02:48 PM »
Strange, but fair enough. A writer's desire for privacy can be covered to a large extent by the use of a pseudonym, and in any case, I've noticed he makes many, many mentions on here of his being a writer (horror is my genre, hence my interest in reading him), so if someone was that extra bit concerned about privacy to the extent they actively don't want people to read their work I just figured they wouldn't make such frequent reference to it and it would be normal for me to ask what his published name was.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2017, 01:05:43 PM »
He also tells us he's friends with Rush and hangs out on tour with them but we all still don't have a clue but what's the big dealio? 

Just because he shares his life here doesn't mean we have to know his name.  That never bothered me.  To each his or her own giving out info on one's self.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2017, 01:16:06 PM »
He also tells us he's friends with Rush and hangs out on tour with them but we all still don't have a clue but what's the big dealio? 

Just because he shares his life here doesn't mean we have to know his name.  That never bothered me.  To each his or her own giving out info on one's self.

No 'big dealio', it's just I'm a huge horror nut, there are maybe 15 main writers currently working in the field ('main' here means their books can be found in shops and not just published online), and I'm positive he isn't one of them (you can't disguise your natural writing style to that extent), so if there's a new up-and-coming writer on the scene, I'd love to read his work, that's all. When he said he was a horror writer I was excited and wanted to read his work. I didn't know he was known for not wanting to give out his published name, and if he doesn't want me or anyone else to read his books, that's absolutely fine, no big deal. I'll just re-iterate that if someone says over and over again that they are 'a writer', they have to expect that people will ask what their published name is, and so if the desire to remain private is a factor it may be better not to do that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2017, 01:20:26 PM »
I work in Project Management, in Healthcare. I work with end users establishing what equipment (anything from trash cans to MRI's) they need/want in their new space....help them lay out their workflow....then coordinate all the mechanical/data needs/requirements of said equipment with the contractors and vendors.

I work with the vendors negotiating costs of the equipment, I order the equipment for the job and then make sure it delivers to the job site when it's needed....I keep the budget for our departments portion of the project and report that each month.

I honestly love it. The two people I report to are very laid back, it's essentially just a 'get your job done' environment. No one looks over my shoulder and they just let you do what you have to do and rarely are in your business. It's noticeable if you're not doing your job so it's not like you can just screw off all the time but the freedom and flexibility is nice as you come and go from job site to office as you please, I can work from home if I have to/want to...it'd be tough to leave this type of environment and return to a "normal" 9-5 position.

I'm an engineer/project manager for a medical device and sterilization company.

Aren't you with STERIS? Or am I thinking of someone else? I work quite a bit with them.

Probably not 'something similar' but  I would find something I enjoyed to do and stay busy. Volunteer at a Nature Center, maybe Marshall at a Golf Course....something outdoors for sure.

Under which name do you write/publish? I'm interested to read your work.

:lol    Nice Try. That'd be funny if it were that easy and TV just throws his real ID out there   :lol 

Better to save the mystery than surrender to the secret...... ;)
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2017, 01:20:52 PM »
Mabye he's not a horror writer but another style and does that to though off people like you trying to figure that out. :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2017, 01:22:13 PM »
He's pretty damned successful, so I'm sure he's not worried about whether DTF reads his books or not. Still, given his level of success, it's likely we have.  :)
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2017, 01:25:13 PM »
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:40:41 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2017, 01:32:54 PM »
He's pretty damned successful, so I'm sure he's not worried about whether DTF reads his books or not.

Success shouldn't enter into how a writer regards his work being read. I'm not asking him to be 'worried about whether DTF reads his books' (condescending though that would be to the users of DTF), I'm simply asking a horror writer (him) if a huge horror fan (me) can read his work. If he wants to PM me his name I can assure him I'll keep it private. Anyway, that's probably enough of this theme in this thread. I'll hope for and wait upon his PM.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2017, 02:04:11 PM »
All the money I'd ever want... I wouldn't quit immediately, but I'd give my three/four weeks notice (only reason I don't say two is because I work so much and the schedules are so far in advance that it'd be just useless).

Not too sure what I'd do other than that though...because I'd certainly be screwed both mentally and physically if I just did whatever I wanted all day. Which would consist of building PCs and sitting in front of them...

I think more anything than else I'd need to find a way to keep some discipline. That's what I like most about my job, honestly. It promotes a hell of a lot of humility, discipline and hard work (if you don't want to be fired or not ever scheduled...granted, which stems back to money).

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2017, 02:33:12 PM »
For the record, I was just trying to (half-heartedly) get VOX to make a comment about the two authors I mentioned to see if he is a contemporary of them... or any of the other big boys (King, Straub, etc).  I'll consider Jack Ketchum (Dallas Mayr) one of the big boys... even if the industry may not.

If I had all the money I felt I needed (how do you calculate that number anyway?), I'd stay until my position was filled so the company wouldn't suffer loss; I've invested more than a decade of my working life into it and I wouldn't want to leave my friend in a bad position.  Perhaps I could originate files from Everest Base Camp between acclimatization climbs... or from that cabin in the woods that I would likely build.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2017, 03:33:56 PM »

Aren't you with STERIS? Or am I thinking of someone else? I work quite a bit with them.
Yep, I do. I work for the laboratory group within the sterilization arm of the company.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2017, 05:02:13 PM »
I work as a Senior Support Worker currently supporting adults with learning disabilities. I LOVE the job for the support side of things, the guys I support are real characters and all really sweet. What I hate is the mountain of paperwork that goes with care in todays world, also the politics that goes with it all. Finally there is next to no money provided by our government for these guys nowadays, they are all funded a criminally low amount of hours and we, as a staff team, have to try to support them as best we can within that. It results is staff doing bits here and there in our own time, unpaid. I could rant about the injustices for hours.

I will actually be starting a new job in a few weeks though supporting kids from 9-19, who may have come from broken homes/abusive situation/childhood traumas as well as some diagnosis's of Autism, ADHD etc. This will be a totally new challenge and I hope it goes well, the job is far better paid and I won't be lone working so the pressure will be off there a bit.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2017, 05:55:58 PM »

Yep, I do. I work for the laboratory group within the sterilization arm of the company.

Missed a chance to get hired on there about three years ago as a Installation Project Manager. Didn't have a Bachelors degree, although i did make it to the final round of interviews but ultimately the non Bachelors degree killed me. I've been slowly chipping away at night and online schooling ever since to get that Bachelors. Don't want to miss any similar chances if they arise in the future.

STERIS is top notch all around....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2017, 05:56:11 PM »
I fire giant X-ray lasers at things.

It's neat.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Cable

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2017, 05:56:35 PM »

Probably not 'something similar' but  I would find something I enjoyed to do and stay busy. Volunteer at a Nature Center, maybe Marshall at a Golf Course....something outdoors for sure.

[/quote]

Same here, I would volunteer in some capacity. I certainly would work *no* where near 40 hours a week.

About the OP, I do and don't like my job as a mental health therapist. I overall enjoy it, but I don't like doing it full time. I like the setting and population I work with, just not as a therapist all the time. Eventually I only want to do it part time on the side.
---

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2017, 05:59:26 PM »
Account Manager in Transportation, for the logistics side of a major trucking company.  Our office is about 15 miles from the trucking office.

Yes, I like my job a lot.  It is a lot of meticulous details and keeping a million things in order, which is perfect for my brain. :lol :lol