Author Topic: What is your job and do you like it?  (Read 8468 times)

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
What is your job and do you like it?
« on: March 09, 2017, 05:35:07 PM »
I was going to save this thread until after graduation, but that's a few weeks away and I've already started training, so what they hell.

My job will be hospital pharmacist. Whenever a doctor writes an order for a medication for a patient, it gets sent to my computer. I review it and make sure the dose/med is correct and verify it or call to make an intervention. From there, a technician prepares the med, which I check off on and then they take it up to the floor.

In contrast to a CVS or Walgreens, I have no contact with the general public. I just interact with doctors, nurses and people in my department. I work with a bunch of eccentric goofballs and we have a lot of fun. I consider myself very fortunate to enjoy my job.

Offline Architeuthis

Re: What is your job and do you like it?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 06:14:11 PM »
I'm into landscaping and painting. They both kind of offset each other nicely. I don't mind either as long as my back feels good.  In the landscape dept, there is so much to learn about plants and trees it's fascinating. The heavy lifting gets old though. With painting, the indoor jobs can be fun because you can crank the tunes and paint away.  They both have their pros and cons though. Work isn't always fun, because it's work..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 06:41:40 PM »
I work in Business Development

If you don't know what that means exactly - cool! Neither do I!  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 07:09:11 PM »
I work in distribution for a relatively small, employee-owned medical device company. My schedule is great, I get the opportunity to work a bit of overtime if I want it, and I get good benefits. It's repetitive, but it's a good gig.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 07:10:06 PM »
I'm a Process Operator/Firefighter at a Southern California oil refinery.  I started my 27 years with the company as a Merchant Marine working on oil tankers.  My career has been a love/hate type thing.  At present, I'm 6 yrs from retirement, and can't wait to retire.  In the grand scheme of things though, I feel VERY fortunate to have had the career that I have had.  Especially as a High School drop out (GED) and no college.  In my current position while I'm on shift I run one of the largest Process Units in our refinery, the Delayed Coking unit.  It is challenging on a daily basis for sure!  Always things to learn, new systems, processes, personel, etc.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 07:53:44 PM »
I worked as a GM for a 32 room hotel for 6 years eventually owning a part of it. It was a lot of fun for the first 4 years, I was in my early 20's making awesome money but it wore on me and the hours were nuts. Eventually the opportunity came to buy the remaining stake in the hotel and I just passed on it going into the IT field and I loved it.

I've been doing a lot of help desk roles since then but I just recently landed a job as a business analyst which (from what I was told in my interview) will meld both my business and technical skills. I start Monday and I can't wait.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 07:56:01 PM »
Creative Director. 13 professional years of design, print, and marketing experience. It's fun, but who I do the work for has a huge impact on the enjoyment level.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 08:09:09 PM »
I'm a psychotherapist as I work to finish my doctorate before officially becoming a psychologist.

I love my job.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 08:20:49 PM »
I'm a psychotherapist as I work to finish my doctorate before officially becoming a psychologist.

When I was in high school, this was what I wanted to do. I assumed that it would mean way too much reading and report writing, which I hated.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 08:22:52 PM »

When I was in high school, this was what I wanted to do. I assumed that it would mean way too much reading and report writing, which I hated.

I read way too little (no idea how I'm getting A's) and I love writing (not assessments) so I'm good with it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 08:25:59 PM »
I don't have any regrets, but it was a big interest for me at the time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 08:56:28 PM »
I sell electronics and electronics accessories and if my store sold guns some unfortunate migrant janitor would've been tasked with cleaning my brains off the linoleum a long time ago.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 09:25:10 PM »
I'm a Sausage Maker.  The job requires me to be very meticulous when adding all of the various ingredients as I have to take care to make sure that I don't wind up with bits of hair and torn fabric in the finished product.

I'm a Horror writer. I will never again do anything else.  ;)
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 09:57:43 PM »
I am a manager at my family's grocery store, where I specialize in produce and beverages. Fancy way of saying I run those departments.

Best part is working with my family, worst part is working with my family. We all get along and recognize each others strengths and weaknesses. I can communicate a bit more honestly than I normally would at another job and can fight and argue and not really worry about getting fired or anything  :lol. At the end of the day, we have each other's backs.

Other positives are a great schedule, great pay and benefits, and I get to work with some pretty cool people, some I've known since I've been a little kid. Another one, I've developed a close relationship with that helps me elevate my game to the next level and really brings out the best in me. We argue, we laugh, we kick ass and have great chemistry. I wouldn't trade that relationship with her for anything and was one of the main reasons I decided to stick with the job apart from what I already listed.

It's pretty cool.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 10:09:04 PM »
I'm a data center technician for an online advertising technology company. I enjoy it for the most part, specifically for this company compared to similar roles at previous jobs.

Offline Adami

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 10:36:33 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 11:36:15 PM »
I'm a physical therapist practicing for the past nine years. Pretty much done outpatient orthopedics during that time, helping people return to normal function after injury and/or surgery. Very gratifying work for sure. I love doing what I do.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 11:45:41 PM »
I bartend, serve and manage a fancy shmancy wine bar. I enjoy it for the most part. Obviously people being cunt fucks gets to me now and again but on the other end there are also a lot of cool peeps I get to meet/serve/work with. I'm too used to it now to do anything else at the moment and my other life situation has me more or less here for the foreseeable future. I work my ass off but I'm also banking so...it's a good thing for now. Might turn into a career. Dunno...restaurants have been my life soooo...*shrug*

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 12:15:01 AM »
I work at our local social services office as an IT administrator. I take care of all things IT (computers, phones, printers etc.) and I also manage our website. I've been here for 9 years now.

I like it a lot, since it's what I want to do and what I've studied to become. It can be stressful at times, but it's rewarding - I often hear from the others "What would I even do without you?".
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 06:07:55 AM »
I'm a web developer. Mainly front end but these days, I do get down and dirty with some backend stuff as well.
I love the front end part of it, it's an ever evolving line of business where much of what I studied 8 years ago does not apply at all today. But that's the fun part of it - I never got too comfortable and bored.

Also, I get to hang out with fellow nerds all day and discuss the latest Zelda so that's a plus.  :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 06:10:27 AM »
Business Analyst for a major insurer. I hate it. I think the role of business analyst actually isn't all that bad, but insurance is the most god awful and boring subject matter on the planet.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 06:14:06 AM »
Mainly front end but these days, I do get down and dirty with some backend stuff as well.

:zydar:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 06:26:10 AM »
I am a manager of a company that works on our customer's site (Wal Mart Distribution Center)  We sort the pallets buy quality and ship out these pallets and well as give pallets back to Wal Mart for reuse. We also handle the cardboard for recycling.  we did $90,000.00 last year in cardboard bales alone.  Crazy to thing about it.

We have 25 employees on 4 shifts 24/7.

Do I like my job.  Yes and no.  I love the challenge of taking on new responsibility and growing in a company.  The part I don't like is dealing with people who can't get their life together affecting us and myself.  Dealing with personalities is the hardest thing about this job.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 06:52:55 AM »
Business Analyst for a major insurer. I hate it. I think the role of business analyst actually isn't all that bad, but insurance is the most god awful and boring subject matter on the planet.

After reading you posts I'm really worried about starting this new position :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 07:07:02 AM »
I'm in Marketing. Currently, I'm working for an engineering and environmental consulting firm as a Marketing Coordinator. My responsibilities vary from designing and writing proposals, to developing marketing material, simple graphics layout, print coordination, etc...

Generally speaking I like my job, my company treats us well and the people I work with are pretty cool. Some days it's very stressful, others not so much.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 07:14:30 AM »
I work in the administration of a large auditing firm. Mainly I'm dispatchign work for others. The job is not that interesting but I've got two lovely colleagues that are fun to work with. But I find myself questioning what the firm stands for more and more as I grow older. It's not that it's illegal what we do but it's very capitalist orientated and I can't really identify with their goals and tactics any more.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 07:15:13 AM »
Software engineer, mostly C++ and Java. I do a mix of app development on Android and core machine learning algorithm implementation, since my company does speech recognition.
Do I like my job? Yes and no. I know I'm pretty damn good at it, but lately the migraines from monitor looking have been killing me, and after 15 years in the industry I feel I'm getting ready for a change. The problem is that I don't really know what else I would be doing. Omg option I've been considering lately is taking a sabbatical.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 07:17:35 AM »
rumbo: Have you tried the cave approach? Kill all fluorescent and overhead lighting and only use low wattage desk and/or floor lamps? It allows you to lower the brightness on your monitor and dramatically reduces the amount of eyestrain when viewing a monitor for long periods.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 07:20:06 AM »
Yeah, I'm already doing a lot of that. I have always had a very hyperactive visual system (I see the color wheel of projectors, and I have outstanding hand-eye coordination), but I think that's haunting me when it comes to screen exposure. My visual system doesn't like all those sharp parallel lines.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 07:23:11 AM »
Yeah I get it. I used to work in a cave and while I hated being like a shut-in, it saved my eyes for years when I was putting in 70-hour weeks.

These days I vacillate between overhead and natural light and low desk light, depending on the intensity of my work and how my eyes and head are for the day.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2017, 07:29:25 AM »
Yeah, I'm already doing a lot of that. I have always had a very hyperactive visual system (I see the color wheel of projectors, and I have outstanding hand-eye coordination), but I think that's haunting me when it comes to screen exposure. My visual system doesn't like all those sharp parallel lines.

Hm, sounds like the problem could be the PWM flicker of the backlight of your monitor, which on a cheaper monitor is even worse at lower brightnesses, and could cause your issues. You could try finding yourself a monitor that's flicker free.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2017, 07:30:47 AM »
I remember when adjusting the refresh rate on old CRTs would have a drastic effect on my eyestrain. There was a time at work I couldn't get my eyes to stop hurting and on a whim I switched from 75Hz to the same res at 60Hz and suddenly my eyes felt better.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2017, 07:32:04 AM »
Mainly front end but these days, I do get down and dirty with some backend stuff as well.

:zydar:
Man, I didn't even think of the innuendo in that sentence.  :lol Innuendo? In YOUR endo!
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2017, 07:52:59 AM »
part time retail at a sporting goods store (20-25 hrs/week), full time Dad.  I've only been at my current job for about six months, but the rest of the staff are pretty laid back and I can talk sports with the guys so I'm good with it.

I thank my lucky stars everyday my wife has a very successful career.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2017, 07:58:36 AM »
I'm an engineer/project manager for a medical device and sterilization company. I mostly like what I do. This is the best job I've ever had. That being said, I'd quit in a heartbeat if I didn't need to work to support my family.