Author Topic: Will we ever solve the uncanny valley ?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Will we ever solve the uncanny valley ?
« on: March 08, 2017, 02:32:57 PM »
What do you think ?

I thought Tarkin in Rogue One was "ok". A lot better than CG Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy but young Carrie Fisher looked like a Disney Cartoon.

Do you ever think we'll get 100% believable digital actors or will we always be able to tell ?

Online ozzy554

Re: Will we ever solve the uncanny valley ?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 05:23:20 PM »
What do you think ?

I thought Tarkin in Rogue One was "ok". A lot better than CG Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy but young Carrie Fisher looked like a Disney Cartoon.

Do you ever think we'll get 100% believable digital actors or will we always be able to tell ?

I thought they did a good job with Michael Douglas in Ant-Man. Looked like he just walked off the set of wall street
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 05:27:19 PM »
James cameron did a good job in T2. That looks just like Linda Hamilton  ::)

But in all seriousness, I think its getting better and better each day and eventually one day, it will be very hard to tell the difference. Even Tarkin had me fooled for a minute and until right now, I didn't even realize that they CGI'd douglas in ant man. Good stuff
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 05:35:33 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 02:24:32 AM »
I think the de-aging of RDJ in Captain America: Civil War was really well done, along with the similar sort of thing with Chris Evan in the original Captain America, where they turned him into a weedy version of himself.  Though I suppose this is different, as it's taking the same actor's performance and digitally tweaking it, rather than using a different actor and mapping their facial features on to someone else's likeness.

For a few seconds of Tarkin's screentime, I thought it was totally spot on, but for the rest of the time you just knew instinctively that something was off.

Maybe in the next few years we'll see something that fools us 100%.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 03:16:26 AM »
Of course we'll solve it. The tech is so young and it's already this good. So there's no reason to believe that it won't improve along with everything else.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 07:54:13 AM »
It looks alright when they are using the actor and only change their age and stuff, but when they re-create a human 100% in CGI it just looks so fake.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 09:00:32 AM »
It looks alright when they are using the actor and only change their age and stuff, but when they re-create a human 100% in CGI it just looks so fake.

This is the main problem now.

It might explain why CGI Michael Douglas looked good but CGI Peter Cushing did not.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 09:07:48 AM »
I don't really get CGI Tarkin looking "so fake". I could definetely tell it was CG, but I was still really impressed with it throughout the movie and I know there were loads of people who didn't even notice. Leia I get, that was some wonky stuff, but Tarkin was really impressive.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 09:13:03 AM »
I thought he looked pretty good ( at least better than Tron Legacy Jeff Bridges )...But my 13 year old brother immediately went " He's animated ".

But CGI Carrie Fisher looked really bad.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 10:17:02 AM »
Neither of them looked bad, they just weren't entirely convincing as real people. They're actually 95% of the way there, but the thing about the uncanny valley is that until you're at 100%, it's just going to weird people out.
Tarkin looked better since they had to put more time into him as a character, and they also had a life cast of Cushing to work from for reference. As far as I know, they didn't have one to work from for Fisher, which is why her likeness was not quite right imo, but she only had to say one word of dialogue, so they didn't have to focus as much on her.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 10:19:47 AM »
When Leia had her back to the camera I was thinking - oh please don't show your face...

I mean - she didn't have to. It was obvious who it was supposed to be. They could have just had her facing away from the camera the whole time.

It was just to show off the FX - and yes - fan service.

I think i'd have preferred if they found someone who looked a lot like young Carrie Fisher and made her up as best they could. At least it would have been a real face.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 10:45:19 AM »
It's the mouth that they can't seem to get right. It's usually a tad too long.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 12:44:15 PM »
It's was the mouth with Leia that drew my attention too. IIRC, the eyes and nose were fine, but something about the way the mouth moved.

I wonder if it will be tweaked for the BluRay release?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 01:52:21 AM »
It's was the mouth with Leia that drew my attention too. IIRC, the eyes and nose were fine, but something about the way the mouth moved.

I wonder if it will be tweaked for the BluRay release?
Yeah and they got the mouth really good for Cushing/Tarkin, which is what made such a big difference I think.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.