Author Topic: Rumborak has repeatedly saved my life. Thanks, Rumby.  (Read 1617 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Rumborak has repeatedly saved my life. Thanks, Rumby.
« on: March 08, 2017, 11:01:09 AM »
I have a particular problem in the wintertime - a shocking problem, in fact. Any time I touch a metal surface I tend to get shocked. It was bad. Real bad. To the point I was afraid to touch anything. I don't know if there's something about what I wore or what, but it seemed to affect me more than others. There was one time that was particularly bad. This same switch always got me, so I got up from the chair and used my remote control to flip it up. The goddamn remote crackled and I saw a blue flash under the buttons. Scared the shit out of me.

UNTIL ONE DAY

Several years ago, Rumby mentioned in a thread comment that touching the surface with a key would cause the key to spark at the end, and the bearer of said key would not feel a thing. This changed my life. I could walk through life again, touching things with confidence.

Anyway, life pro-tip: If you get shocked, touch things with a key.

Brought to you by Rumborak, a true hero.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Rumborak has repeatedly saved my life. Thanks, Rumby.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 11:28:23 AM »
If it happens at home the most, buy a humidifier and your problem will be greatly lessened or solved.  Dry air creates static electricity faster than humid air, which is why you notice the problem in the winter and not the summer.  Forced air (central) heat is also dry air that is being introduced into your house during those months.

You just have to make sure that you don't over-humidify the home when it's really cold out - the colder the outdoor temperature, the lower the humidity level should be inside the home, otherwise you will definitely notice condensation on the windows and maybe even the walls if it's way too humid.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 11:33:19 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 11:44:52 AM »
Any time I touch a metal surface I tend to get shocked. It was bad. Real bad.

Ironic that you would post this. Perhaps a name change is in order? MetalWussy perhaps?  :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 12:04:36 PM »
This thread is not shocking.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 12:06:20 PM »
Woooooooottt!!!

:blush
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 12:07:26 PM »
Also, modified pro tip regarding the topic: if no key is handy, you can discharge through your knuckle. Barely any nerve endings there, you won't feel anything either.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 12:09:52 PM »
Any time I touch a metal surface I tend to get shocked. It was bad. Real bad.

Ironic that you would post this. Perhaps a name change is in order? MetalWussy perhaps?  :biggrin:
:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 12:10:33 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 05:01:36 PM »
Or you could just wear one of these

An anti-static wrist band.  Static electricity can be a problem in a data center, a lot of equipment used to come with these so you don't damage the equipment with a good shock.  It's not really a problem in a modern data center/modern equipment now a days, but I find it funny when a vendor comes in and puts one on  :lol

In high school, I remember taking two wrestling mats and putting my body inbetween them and rolling around creating an insane amount of static electricity.  I shit you not, I purposely did this to try and shock my friend, it looked like a lightning bolt shot out of my finger right before I made contact with his arm.  He was in a lot of pain for a moment, but to this day he still thinks it was hilarious and fun experiment.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 07:31:58 PM »
When it gets particularly bad, I just knock metal objects with my knuckle if I don't have a metal object in my hand.  The impact of knocking plus the reduced sensation in your knuckle mostly eliminates the discomfort of the shock.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 07:40:32 PM »
This thread is not shocking.

Oh my god I forgot about this gif. So great. I remember that day...Gadough, where art thou? Is he still around and I've just missed his posts?

I have a few anti-static wrist bands now that PC building has become almost a bi-monthly thing for me. But it's kind of ridiculous to just wear one around the house and attaching it at random moments. I personally have simply become accustomed to touching grounded objects if I feel static building on my body. Especially since the polyester shirts I wear for work build static up like a fucking Pikachu. It's ridiculous. A quick elbow (or like Rumby said, kuckle; elbow became habit to me, again cause of PC shenanigans) to a grounded metal object (of which in your house there should be plenty) will do the trick too.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 08:21:02 PM »
Can I get an a-men?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 04:32:22 PM »
Ralf saves lives, helps progress android devices and now I stumble across this today.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 04:51:53 PM »
Hey, what can I say, the world needs to stay abreast of my newest developments.

I said abreast. Giggedy..

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 04:53:54 PM »
Next you'll fly across the Atlantic in a balsa wood full sized plane shot off by a big rubber band.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 05:25:17 PM »
By jove, that shall be an excellent adventure!