Author Topic: Shaw/Blades - Hallucination (1995 singer/songwriter album)  (Read 2729 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Shaw/Blades - Hallucination (1995 singer/songwriter album)
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2017, 08:42:24 PM »
The second one may get an upgrade from "blows" to "sucks" - I think that's how it works.

Part of the Tim Nation.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2017, 08:44:46 AM »

And don't get me started on Night Ranger.   Excellent!!

NOT! More like Light Ranger.

What a tease that first album was. Guitarist plays for Ozzy, first single (Don't Tell Me You Love Me) is a ripper, and then the album absolutely blows.

I do like Blades' voice. But even Damn Yankees sucked. Not even Ted Nugent could make that project rock enough.

No, I get it, it's not Slayer, but those guys are a cut above the typical puff rock.    Jack is a world class writer, Brad can still play, and I'm sorry, I'm a sucker for the cheesy Kelly Keagy 80's-isms.   "Neverland" is an excellent record, and I love the song "Revelation" from "Seven". 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2017, 08:51:28 AM »

Not that something has to ROCK to be great, 

Oh, and yes it DOES! :P
:facepalm:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2017, 09:50:13 PM »
Funny story, harking back to TAC and how much they supposedly don't rock...

We play at Pandora at work all day, so I threw the Damn Yankees station into the mix the other day (we do shuffle all day, so we get a little bit of everything, except rap or hip hop, which no one wants to hear).  Today, Don't Tread on Me came on at one point, and I remember thinking, "I hope this isn't too loud and rocking for some people."  No one objected, but the song really does rock enough to where I really did wonder if it was too much.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2017, 01:52:14 PM »
Apart from the voices I don't think this and damn Yankees are similar at all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2017, 06:58:41 PM »
Apart from the voices I don't think this and damn Yankees are similar at all.

That might be a stretch to say, but after listening to all three albums a few times each in the last week plus, I will say that the two Damn Yankees albums aren't as extremely similar to the Shaw and Blades album as I had remembered them being.  While not the kind of rock he is known for playing, Ted Nugent, and his guitar, was a major force on both DY albums.  Shaw and Blades is more Simon and Garfunkel than Damn Yankees.