Author Topic: Dream Theater World interviews James LaBrie  (Read 5682 times)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Dream Theater World interviews James LaBrie
« on: March 07, 2017, 12:00:45 PM »
Here you go, yours truly interviewing James before the show in Norway.

Offline goo-goo

Re: Dream Theater World interviews James LaBrie
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 12:10:23 PM »
Link?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 03:26:02 PM »
Excellent interview!  I have never heard that much detail about how he got the job and how the conversations went.  Fascinating stuff. 

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 04:39:34 PM »
Brilliant interview! Love how animated and into it James is. 

Thanks for mentioning Last Union too.  Been listening to that album obsessively since it was released.

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 10:12:32 PM »
Fantastic interview. Great to hear the history of the band from James himself. Only thing I would have liked to see would have been a question on what he was / is doing with his solo band.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 11:49:50 PM »
Really great interview! Loved that you added the clip of the popcorn incident.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 03:51:27 AM »
I literally LOLed at his package  :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 04:20:16 AM »
Imagine sitting through the rest of the interview thinking about that... Cause thats what I had to do ;)

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 04:22:58 AM »
I just re-watched many times where James says "phenomenal". I fucking love his talking voice.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online Mladen

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 06:37:26 AM »
Wonderful. I haven't seen such a great interview with JLB in a while.

Offline CB

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 09:56:32 AM »
Great interview indeed, thanks a lot!

I'm glad he listened to his wife!!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 10:14:25 AM »
Tordenperle Krall. Literally.  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
Wow, I didn't know they were so engaged with Chris Cintron that they first turned JLB down. Great interview, Noxon, and JLB is phenomenal! I love this guy!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 11:07:52 AM »
Well, his stint with the band was VERY short.  But it sounded to me like they just felt bad about pulling the rug out from under someone before giving him a fair shot. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Art

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 11:20:24 AM »
That was an awesome interview!  :tup

Offline dodido253

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 11:31:49 AM »
Such an awesome guy and amazing singer :metal
Great interview!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 12:11:30 PM »
Well, his stint with the band was VERY short.  But it sounded to me like they just felt bad about pulling the rug out from under someone before giving him a fair shot.

Oh, OK. My bad then.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 12:28:44 PM »
Very cool, Noxon! Thank you.

You also have an awesome real name!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »
You also have an awesome real name!
:rollin
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline V_R11

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 01:22:12 PM »
I just re-watched many times where James says "phenomenal". I fucking love his talking voice.

Same though

Thanks for this. Great interview. JLB has a great personality, love the guy
Seasons change and so can I

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 01:58:22 PM »
Great interview, James is a pleasure to listen to as always.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 03:13:46 PM »
Wow, I didn't know they were so engaged with Chris Cintron that they first turned JLB down. Great interview, Noxon, and JLB is phenomenal! I love this guy!

B.Lee

Yes.  Chris was essentially in the band.  Only problem was, their last vocalist was a guy named Steve Stone.  They made the mistake of announcing him as their new vocalist after only knowing him for a few days and him not having any real history fronting a band or rehearsing with them.  They already had a show booked and they had him come out for the last part of it where he blew his voice out, kept yelling "Scream for me Long Beach!" when they were playing in Bay Shore, and was fired immediately after. 

For all intents and purposes, Chris was their new vocalist without making it official.  He jammed with them for several months.  Their label or manager wasn't keen on Chris though and in a lot of ways he reminded them too much of Dominici. They had no reservations about James though and finally gave Chris the boot when they had a better option.  If James had never come along, Chris probably would have been the vocalist but they might not have been given as much label support and who knows if they would have ever done anything after Images & Words. 

For what it's worth I quite like Chris and purchased a CD from him.  He does traditional spanish music.  He was also in a band called Reckless that released one album.  I dig it but it probably isn't most DT fans cup of tea.   

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 07:44:48 PM »
What an especially special interview!  Kudos for recalling Chris Cintron's name.  This is why the DTF community should conduct these interviews and not some uninformed magazine journalist asking about favorite influences for the millionth time.

By the way, as the story goes, the band wrapped rehearsal, waved goodnight to Chris and the other 4 guys drove off only to circle back to the rehearsal space to listen to James' "package" together.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 08:23:37 PM »
There was a very cool moment in which James remembered how he and Mike were close friends back then. I don't think (or wish) that MP will return to Dream Theater, but I do hope they can all be buddies again. Maybe not the 24/7 kind of buddies they were while they were together in the band, but at least no sour milk between them.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 09:19:11 PM »
Holy shit! Dante from Clerks looks like a fat James!

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 12:32:01 AM »
What is the Official DT World Fan Club anyway?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2017, 03:28:46 AM »
What is the Official DT World Fan Club anyway?

https://dreamtheater.club

It's the one and only sanctioned fan club by the band, which has chapters all over the world and new ones popping up continiously all the time. It's based on the last remnant of the old, classic fan clubs (DTIFC), and was initiated by myself in 2015 as a business proposal to the band and management. The proposal itself defined the statutes that we work under, which gives us responsibilities (build and gather official fan communities under the umbrella of the fan club) and rights (rights to use the logo, imagery and so forth of the band and bandmembers even as a commercial product - meaning we can make official merchandise ourselves), and in addition to this we have a strong commitment from the band and management itself to help us with content and support to build the club as it needs to be. As such we've been able to hold several pre party fan meetings, as well as several live Q&A's, and multiple interviews and stuff like that. We'll be able to provide more exclusive material as time goes on - currently we're still focusing on building the communities.

One question I often get is whether the fan club is therefore biased (meaning we're told what we can and cannot publish), and I'm happy to tell you that this is not the case. One of the statutes I was pretty adamant about was the fact that I wanted us to have complete editorial freedom. We can publish any article we want, whether it is an article about former members or negative articles for current member/band status (ie. a bad review of a concert), of course within the confines of the legal system.

Offline Art

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2017, 05:23:50 AM »

Yes.  Chris was essentially in the band.  Only problem was, their last vocalist was a guy named Steve Stone.  They made the mistake of announcing him as their new vocalist after only knowing him for a few days and him not having any real history fronting a band or rehearsing with them.  They already had a show booked and they had him come out for the last part of it where he blew his voice out, kept yelling "Scream for me Long Beach!" when they were playing in Bay Shore, and was fired immediately after

How i wish a video of this existed  :lol :lol :rollin

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 05:52:02 AM »
Knowing Portnoy, video probably does exist. somewhere.  ;)
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 11:38:19 AM »

Yes.  Chris was essentially in the band.  Only problem was, their last vocalist was a guy named Steve Stone.  They made the mistake of announcing him as their new vocalist after only knowing him for a few days and him not having any real history fronting a band or rehearsing with them.  They already had a show booked and they had him come out for the last part of it where he blew his voice out, kept yelling "Scream for me Long Beach!" when they were playing in Bay Shore, and was fired immediately after

How i wish a video of this existed  :lol :lol :rollin

He must have been pretty damn drunk, because no Long Islander worth their salt would confuse Long Beach and Bay Shore.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 12:56:59 PM »
An important part of the story is that Steve Stone had heard Iron Maidens live album "Live After Death", where Bruce Dickinson, before the song Flight of Icarus, shouts "Scream for me long beach"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2017, 01:00:26 PM »
Yes, we know.  :lol

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2017, 01:35:19 PM »
An important part of the story is that Steve Stone had heard Iron Maidens live album "Live After Death", where Bruce Dickinson, before the song Flight of Icarus, shouts "Scream for me long beach"

So he wasn't referencing Long Beach, New York?      ;D         Maybe he was trying to suck up to Mike P!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2017, 01:35:47 PM »
James still retains his Canadian accent!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!