Author Topic: Big Wreck new cd Grace Street. Any fans?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline softball35

Big Wreck new cd Grace Street. Any fans?
« on: March 06, 2017, 08:05:13 PM »
I'm not sure how many members here I've heard of big wreck but I would imagine there are a lot of people here who haven't heard of them probably would love their music. Their new album Grace Street came out and I saw them on Friday from New York City and they were just amazing. The lead guitarist and vocalist Ian Thornley has sick skills. They have several albums and each one is unique. Their latest album is a little softer than the previous ones but I highly suggest checking them out. Tickets were only $25.00 which was a steal in my opinion for their performance. Oh, and they went to Berkeley Music and I believe opened for Dream Theater at one point.

Check out a few songs below. (Last one an Instrumental).

https://youtu.be/FDmQqK8vDy0

https://youtu.be/83j6OYrPtRw

https://youtu.be/jqpaC70-Apg

https://youtu.be/H6d4cblamdQ

https://youtu.be/kwLh7hKTLLc

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Big Wreck new cd Grace Street. Any fans?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 09:36:35 PM »
yeah, it seems like a continuation of Ghosts, their previous album from 2014. Some awfully catchy, energetic tracks, and like Ghosts, it has quite a lot of tunes.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 09:46:50 PM »
They were pretty good when I saw them so many years ago. The Oaf and That Song were good songs.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 09:57:58 PM »
I'm a HUGE Big Wreck fan. Absolutely love most all things by Ian Thornley. The two previous albums Albatross and Ghosts were really great. Haven't had time to delve into Grace Street yet but I imagine it will be quite good too.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 09:59:28 PM »
I liked Grace Street a good amount.  Was really a chill album, for the most part, but one that can pack with a great amount of emotions, especially All My Fears In You and Motionless.  I give this a suggestion to people here. 

Sometimes, I think to myself after listening to this album, "Why can't most generic rock bands be more like Big Wreck or Poets of the Fall?"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 06:41:57 AM »
I've been liking Grace Street as well, just not as much as the previous two records. For me, Albatross and Ghosts sound like more superior efforts, but there's still plenty to love on Grace Street.

For my money, Ian is one of the most underrated guys in the business.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 07:54:34 AM »
Been a while since I last listened to Big Wreck. I remember liking them quite a bit. I have their first two record (the one with The Oaf, and then Pleasure and the Greed. I also have two Thornley records). I listened to the single from Grace Street (One Good Piece of Me, I think it is called?) It sounded like they were trying to channel the Foo Fighters...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 08:21:49 AM »
Been a while since I last listened to Big Wreck. I remember liking them quite a bit. I have their first two record (the one with The Oaf, and then Pleasure and the Greed. I also have two Thornley records). I listened to the single from Grace Street (One Good Piece of Me, I think it is called?) It sounded like they were trying to channel the Foo Fighters...

That first single is one of my least favorite tracks from the new album. I'd recommend checking out songs like You Don't Even Know, Useless, A Speedy Recovery, Motionless, Diggin In, etc... Those have a little more depth.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 09:12:55 AM »
Will do. I surprisingly didn't pick up Ghosts or the record before that (I remember Ghosts, but don't recall the one prior to that, just was completely off my radar). I'll have to go on a bit of a spree later this month...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »
Will do. I surprisingly didn't pick up Ghosts or the record before that (I remember Ghosts, but don't recall the one prior to that, just was completely off my radar). I'll have to go on a bit of a spree later this month...

Albatross. I think in terms of their "post-reunion" albums I'd rank them Albatross, then Ghosts, then Grace Street. The gap between Albatross and Ghosts is super small though.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 10:00:43 AM »
This band totally lost me after the first Thornley album, which is great, along with the first two BW records. Everything since has been quite a bit more bland and indistinct. For all the talent he's got, Ian Thornley seems lost trying to fit in contemporary radio playlists instead of just making great music.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 01:16:29 PM »

Albatross. I think in terms of their "post-reunion" albums I'd rank them Albatross, then Ghosts, then Grace Street. The gap between Albatross and Ghosts is super small though.

Yeah both Albatross and Ghosts are right there but I'd put Ghosts just a bit ahead. I guess it depends on the day though lol.

This band totally lost me after the first Thornley album, which is great, along with the first two BW records. Everything since has been quite a bit more bland and indistinct. For all the talent he's got, Ian Thornley seems lost trying to fit in contemporary radio playlists instead of just making great music.

Funny thing is Ian says that from the second BW album through the Thornley albums that the record companies and radio had a lot more influence on the direction of the music...
The material is -less heavy- at times than during the Thornley period, sure. But on Albatross and Ghosts while there is more focus on melody it's way beyond contemporary radio... that's whats great about it. The stuff he and the band are playing is sneaky. If you only give it a once over you miss out cause there is so much going on within the music.