Author Topic: Loud ***hole neighbor. What do I do?  (Read 7237 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Loud ***hole neighbor. What do I do?
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2017, 02:55:35 PM »

I can probably dream up plenty more ideas, but I have this sneaking suspicion you don't actually want advice.

Nope. He's asking for advice but everyone is just being " man up and deal with it & stop being a bitch "

Essentially.
Nah. A couple of us have told him that he doesn't get to live in world that conforms to his own personal standards, and explained our take on the current situation. A few people have offered up p[practical suggestions like stabbing him the thigh and shitting on his lawn. I believe that latter is what he's actually interested in.

But, since maybe I'm wrong and he's not just wanting to vent, here's another:

Next time you're at a store that employs off-duty cops for security, ask them what to do. I've done that when I wasn't sure how to handle it and two of the three cops I spoke with were quite willing to offer up advice.

And if that cop suggests manning up and dealing with it, be certain to call him a self-entitled prick.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2017, 02:57:28 PM »
FYI, there's things like these:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/remo-muff-l-ring-control/442922000447076?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKEAiA6OnFBRDcgt7YmPKI33ESJACJoTJYYBq5oOVX2PKC085QTZRzlvLevZRgTETZe295el1X4BoCxmrw_wcB&kwid=productads-adid^156717928496-device^t-plaid^265306775450-sku^442922000447076@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

Doesn't reduce the joy of playing, but keeps the volume at bay.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2017, 03:01:35 PM »
Do you have other neighbors?

Talk to them. A bunch of annoyed people can do more than one.

I think this is the play to make.  There are strengths in numbers and, as long as no one gets hurt or goes to the hospital, rallying neighbors that feels the same way that you do will help a lot to solve this issue.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2017, 03:11:34 PM »
Is he any good?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2017, 03:29:15 PM »
Is he any good?

He moved from Denmark and gave up a promising tennis career.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2017, 03:43:33 PM »
I'd rent a tractor trailer. Put a giant THIS on the side...

...and park the fucker right in front of his house!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2017, 03:51:33 PM »
My hunch is that he doesn't shut the garage door because all he'll hear is ringing and he won't hear that for long because he'll be deaf in an hour or so.

And anecdote time. Tommy Aldridge's bad, bad self lived in Dallas for a short period of time, and he used to do the exact same thing. It wasn't my neighborhood, sadly, but he was friendly and the neighborhood kids would gather around and watch him practice. Really sorry I missed that. I would have dug it (big fan here).

You clearly have never played with a drummer or are exaggerating to prove a failing point. I used to practice with a drummer in an enclosed space once or twice a week and that enclosure was literally a third of the size of the garage in question and my hearing is 100% fine (I'm not sure how familiar you are with New Orleans architecture but many houses have a small staircase leading to a raised porch that's maybe 4-5' above ground in order to keep the house and its contents out of the way of harmful flood waters. On one of the back corners of the house it basically looked like a chunk was missing under the house cuz there was only a post supporting that corner of the house and my drummer friend walled it off to where it made a tiny room about 8'x10' with a ceiling about 5'6". I literally had to slouch with my feet about shoulders' width to keep my head clear of the ceiling and I'm only 5'10".) It's funny how much you wanna look out for redneck drummer's hearing because you're readily admitting his drums are too loud but wanna call me thin-skinned for not wanting to deal with the same thing.

You're clearly just hanging around in this thread to make dickish comments and get the last word but I'm sure I haven't heard the last of you in here either.

A couple of us have told him that he doesn't get to live in world that conforms to his own personal standards

Shit like this is pretty clearly proving you're biased the way you're equating not wanting to be disturbed for literally 8-12 hours every single week by a completely avoidable noise (closing the garage door) with me having a control issue.

If you have any qualms with this, just PM me. This thread is for actual advice on solving this issue. not piss matching.

Is he any good?

Not in the least. Plays the same beginner rudiments on loop for as long as ten minutes straight without a single stop in between during some stretches of these at-least-one-hour sessions.

Is he any good?

He moved from Denmark and gave up a promising tennis career.

:rollin

I'd rent a tractor trailer. Put a giant THIS on the side...

_floyd.jpg

...and park the fucker right in front of his house!

Amazing  :rollin
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2017, 03:58:06 PM »
Josh, I think there are only laws with time limits.  You may be out of luck if he is playing during the day and early evening. I would find out when the sound laws are for your town.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• DT.net Member
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2017, 04:33:49 PM »
If I plugged in my amp on my front yard and cranked it to max volume I'm sure something would occur fairly soon. It ain't like sunlight makes any degree of noise disturbance justifiable to the law.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2017, 04:42:53 PM »
Many good suggestions here, including first asking closer neighbors how they feel about it. Reality is, if they are fine with it, you will unlikely get any traction from the cops as they will just write you off as "that guy".
But, I would also suggest maybe renting a dB meter and see whether the guy actually violates city law. If he does, film a video when he's playing, showing the dB meter in the video. That's incontrovertible evidence then.

EDIT: Just to point this out, Android/iPhone "volume meter" apps do not count. They essentially just make up numbers. You need an actual sound meter.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2017, 04:58:32 PM »
You're clearly just hanging around in this thread to make dickish comments and get the last word but I'm sure I haven't heard the last of you in here either.

A couple of us have told him that he doesn't get to live in world that conforms to his own personal standards

Shit like this is pretty clearly proving you're biased the way you're equating not wanting to be disturbed for literally 8-12 hours every single week by a completely avoidable noise (closing the garage door) with me having a control issue.

If you have any qualms with this, just PM me. This thread is for actual advice on solving this issue. not piss matching.
Honestly, Josh, defending your bad-drumming neighbor and winning an argument with you are two things I care absolutely nothing about. I'm on vacation. I chimed in because you kind of dumped on somebody for suggesting that the problem might be yours, and I thought it was uncool. That's about it. I've given you many suggestions. Some comical. Some pretty good. All better than "stab him in the thigh," so I really don't have anything further to contribute.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DT.net Member
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2017, 05:04:15 PM »
Many good suggestions here, including first asking closer neighbors how they feel about it. Reality is, if they are fine with it, you will unlikely get any traction from the cops as they will just write you off as "that guy".
But, I would also suggest maybe renting a dB meter and see whether the guy actually violates city law. If he does, film a video when he's playing, showing the dB meter in the video. That's incontrovertible evidence then.

EDIT: Just to point this out, Android/iPhone "volume meter" apps do not count. They essentially just make up numbers. You need an actual sound meter.

Very good suggestion but I probably can't do that unfortunately. My backyard shares a fence with his across-the-street neighbor so I'd have to film across a stranger's property which may be considered illegal.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2017, 05:10:09 PM »
Why would that be illegal? All you need it 20 seconds of video, where you can hear the drums, and you can see the dB meter.

On a side note, this definitely calls for a short video. I want to hear it!!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2017, 05:15:15 PM »
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2017, 05:20:01 PM »
Why would that be illegal? All you need it 20 seconds of video, where you can hear the drums, and you can see the dB meter.

On a side note, this definitely calls for a short video. I want to hear it!!
My hunch is that it falls within the city ordinance for daylight hours. It'd have to be an average of 60dB or a peak of 70. If he's allowed to measure it at the fence line then he might have a case, but I seriously doubt he's going to get that indoors and that's probably what they're after.
E.F. Benson

• DT.net Member
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2017, 06:13:14 PM »
Oops! It'd help if I'd mentioned I live in Orange Park, FL just outside of Jacksonville now. Sorry for the lack of clarity and thanks a bunch Bartholomew :tup

Offline Skeever

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2017, 07:03:19 PM »
Your post seems to imply that he drums for (1) hour per day in his open garage, during the day time, 4 to 5 days per week.
Unless I've misinterpreted that, I would say yes, you are being absolutely unreasonable.

???

This isn't someone mowing their yard at 6 am on a Saturday; this is someone beating the heck out of drums, which are louder than just about anything you can imagine a neighbor doing.

Yes, things and noises like this are going to happen in life, and you have to suck it sometimes and deal with it, but in this case, I am totally with b_f. There is no reason the guy can't keep his garage door closed and bang away.

Yeah, maybe it's just me, but I'll take someone hammering away at their drum kit from 6-7pm every night over someone mowing their lawn at 7am every Saturday morning. And trust me, I live with the latter. I don't know why anyone wants to go out and mow the grass before 9am on any Saturday, but they do. Same neighbor likes to take his (extremely yappy) dog out for a piss every night around 11pm, when I'm asleep. It invariably wakes me up. What should I do, call the cops on my neighbor because his loud dog takes a piss when I'm sleeping?

Also, I said at least an hour and even more than 2 hours at times so you're clearly not even reading the posts and just trying to cherry pick to make your argument appear stronger than it actually is. Do me a favor and actually post something constructive relating to the situation cuz as of now you're clearly just trying to get a rise.

Yeah... In my short 30 years on this Earth I've lived next door to people who are actually doing things illegal (like cooking meth), and I've lived next door to domestic abusers, and I've lived next door to people who aren't breaking the law but are just plain inconvenient, like chain smokers and heavy pot smokers. My advice to you? If the biggest adversity in your life is a guy who goes out for one hour per day (sometimes two) to beat drums in his garage, believe me when I say it could get far worse. Lighten up, and deal. If the dude were drumming from sun up and sun down, I would be more sympathetic, but I'd like to think I still live in a world where people can still play acoustic drum kits with - god forbid - their garage doors open - for one hour per night (not even every night) without some dude trying to enforce their own standards on the neighborhood. Crack open a beer, relax, and feel a little less self-conscious next time you want to do something that might slightly annoy the neighbors. Live and let live.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 07:17:19 PM by Skeever »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2017, 07:23:27 PM »
To each him own Skeever.  Just because you went through it and have a different tolerance to noise doesn't make you or Josh more in the right.

As a music lover I bet Josh was ok with it but over time it's grated at him.  I don't think Josh will have the results he wants but it doesn't mean he is wrong feeling the way he does.

It's just not a perfect situation for both.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Skeever

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2017, 09:07:27 PM »
Right, but unless you can buy yourself a secluded villa somewhere, these are the types of annoyances we all ought to be able to deal with. Not saying Floyd is "wrong" for feeling the way he feels, but I warrant he'd save himself a ton of heartache down the line if he just adjusted his expectations regarding his fellow man right here and now. Hell, it may turn out that he even enjoys the newfound freedom that comes with such a mentality adjustment. I say this as a pretty white collar dude who could afford live in a much "nicer" neighborhood - I'll live with the "rednecks" over the do-gooders and soccer moms any day. It seems rednecks are pretty live and let live neighbors, regardless of their political opinions (few of which I personally agree with). As it turns out, my redneck neighbors who do their own autowork in their driveways and light of fireworks in the street don't seem to mind at all that I have my guitar amp blaring for 5 hours per week or so. Anyway, I've said my peace, so I'll leave now. Didn't mean invalidate the OP's feelings, but sure, I'll admit seeing a guy on a metal forum complain about someone playing drums across the way did hit some type of nerve.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2017, 05:53:22 AM »
That I understand.   He needs to find the noise laws in his town and go from there.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2017, 06:17:21 AM »
That I understand.   He needs to find the noise laws in his town and go from there.

I agree with this. Rumbo made a great suggestion about the decibal meter too.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2017, 08:37:25 AM »
Oops! It'd help if I'd mentioned I live in Orange Park, FL just outside of Jacksonville now.

Okay, this whole thing makes sense now  :rollin

• DT.net Member
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2017, 11:50:29 AM »
Word. I used to assume that LA, MS, and AL were the collective shithole of the south but, goddamn, FL ain't goin out without a fight.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2017, 12:16:48 PM »
Despite the subject of this thread, there's so much good stuff in here :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2017, 01:00:29 PM »
I don't see why some in this thread are flaming you for this. If the drummer had some decency, he should at least close his garage door, thats not asking too much. I live in a Rural area, and when I have acoustic drums in my garage I always make sure the doors are shut. I also sound proofed my garage with insulation and sound deadening board for that reason, and my nearest neighbor is nearly 300 feet away. I'm either paranoid or courteous, probably the latter because I don't do drugs or smoke weed..
 I hate sometimes when my cigarette smoking friends would come over to listen. They go outside to smoke and leave the door wide open letting cold air in without any thought. We would have to stop jamming to tell them to close the door.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

• DT.net Member
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2017, 01:35:19 PM »
Thanks Architeuthis. That's what I've been saying all along too. I have no problem with him playing drums. It's just a miserably persistent and legitimate nuisance that ruins entire afternoons frequently plus there's a ridiculously easy compromise by him simply closing the door. How any supposedly rational adult can find that request unreasonable baffles the shit outta me. Having his door closed takes away zero of his enjoyment. If it's too hot, he can literally put cheap fans in each corner for a total cost of less than one used cymbal and they're loud enough to still easily be heard. At my old drummer friend's enclosure I spoke about in an earlier post we heard just fine over the noisy ass window unit that was no farther than six feet from any of us.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2017, 03:08:28 PM »
Yeah good call on the fans to keep cool. I could see how that could raise the blood pressure listening to those unfiltered drums day after day (even if it was Neil Peart).Perhaps make some friendly suggestions along with a peace offering of a six pack of beer (even though he doesn't deserve free beer) and if that doesn't work, then break out the heavy artillary.  If he's reasonable, he should work with you.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2017, 06:06:19 AM »
Collect $20 from everyone on the street and buy him an electric kit.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2017, 06:07:37 AM »
Collect $20 from everyone on the street and buy him an electric kit.

I hope he has 100 neighbours.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2017, 09:53:39 AM »
Noise continually blows!

I have an issue with my neighbors with there lights on 24/7 on the back of the house.
LIGHTS! EVERYWHERE!
I'm talking 6 flood lights that never get shut off. Morning noon or night. And they have a string of lights all over they're pool deck that never get shut off as well.
So when I'm out enjoying a fire in my backyard its like I have an airport runway in back of my yard.

Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2017, 09:56:48 AM »
This kinda shit is why Mrs. C. and I have both determined that we generally hate people enough that if we could move to an island, just the two of us, far away from people, we'd both be happier.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2017, 09:57:09 AM »
Noise continually blows!

I have an issue with my neighbors with there lights on 24/7 on the back of the house.
LIGHTS! EVERYWHERE!
I'm talking 6 flood lights that never get shut off. Morning noon or night. And they have a string of lights all over they're pool deck that never get shut off as well.
So when I'm out enjoying a fire in my backyard its like I have an airport runway in back of my yard.

Do you have your Red Ryder BB Gun handy? Instant solution.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2017, 10:01:15 AM »
This kinda shit is why Mrs. C. and I have both determined that we generally hate people enough that if we could move to an island, just the two of us, far away from people, we'd both be happier.

Yes please

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2017, 10:22:45 AM »
Noise continually blows!

LIGHTS! EVERYWHERE!

Check your local ordinances.  My parents had a neighbor who kept a 100W bulb in a porch light by their back door, and the light illuminated their bedroom through the window at night.  The local ordinance stated that at the fence/property line, there was a maximum limit of lumens that could cross into your neighbor's yard, and that light exceeded the maximum.

You can download a light-meter app on your smartphone and test it at the property line at night.  Per the other suggestions in this thread, show the ordinance and the reading from your phone to your neighbor and see if they'll turn the lights off at night.  Otherwise, handle it through the police.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2017, 10:55:38 AM »

Yes please

There should be a huge sign in that front yard that just says "Yes, f*ck you!"