Author Topic: Loud ***hole neighbor. What do I do?  (Read 7233 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Loud ***hole neighbor. What do I do?
« on: March 04, 2017, 09:59:10 AM »
He plays drums with his garage door open* for at least an hour every time and longer than 2 hours some days. He was doing this at least 4-5 days a week until I approached him politely about it over a week ago. Then yesterday he was right back at it so I called the cops. He still did it for an hour after that call so here are some possibilities as to what happened:

1. Cops showed up, he bullshitted them, and continued doing so anyway after they left (most likely, since I thought I heard the "whoop" of when a siren is turned on for a fraction of a second to get someone's attention about 20-30 minutes after I'd called the cops.)

2. The cops never even went out there.

3. The cops took an hour to get there and he stopped for the day at that point.

He's back at it again today and we're already 30 minutes in. I'm sick of this shit. How do I resolve this if the cops won't do anything or let him off the hook as long as he only stops while they're there and then resumes his playing right afterward?

*This wasn't originally bolded, underlined, red-texted, and in 18-point font, but some people's replies seem to be overlooking this since it makes it clear how easily this situation could be resolved if the jackass would just close his fucking door. I'm not trying to keep him from playing his drums. They're just loud as fuck and the open garage door directly faces the direction of my house. I hope this has clarified everything adequately.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:56:09 AM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Loud ***hole neighbor. What do I do?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 10:04:19 AM »
Stick a knife in his thigh and twist it so the wound doesn't close.

Also accidentally spill a whole tub of salt in there.

Or explain the entire situation to the police again. Say he stops as soon as they arrive and starts again as soon as they leave.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 10:10:15 AM »
I say fight noise with noise, but that might just result in the neighbor calling the cops on you.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 10:21:41 AM »
Is this during waking hours? Sorry to sound harsh, but a guy playing drums in his garage for 1-2 hours per day 4-5 days per week is not him being an asshole. I have neighbors who are out doing god knows what with power tools every weekend, and other neighbors who blast music. This is all just comes with being a member of a civilization. If you really must have silence during the day at some point, like you have an event going on at your house, just walk over and ask him politely to hold off drumming for the day. Maybe bring a six pack with you.

If I were you, I'd buy myself a bass and an amp and head over for some jamming. Alternatively, you can try and move to one of those neighborhoods where no one's allowed to do anything, but as far as I know most of those are for people 55+ :lol

Offline Cable

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 10:23:11 AM »
I say fight noise with noise, but that might just result in the neighbor calling the cops on you.

Go over and play with him? Then crank up your volume and solo over him?  :metal

Honestly, I have been on the other end of this once, and I did things respectfully afterwards. So I don't know the best way to handle it. I generally feel meeting indifference or not caring with anger doesn't end well.  :-\
---

• DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 10:36:12 AM »
Is this during waking hours? Sorry to sound harsh, but a guy playing drums in his garage for 1-2 hours per day 4-5 days per week is not him being an asshole. I have neighbors who are out doing god knows what with power tools every weekend, and other neighbors who blast music. This is all just comes with being a member of a civilization. If you really must have silence during the day at some point, like you have an event going on at your house, just walk over and ask him politely to hold off drumming for the day. Maybe bring a six pack with you.

If I were you, I'd buy myself a bass and an amp and head over for some jamming. Alternatively, you can try and move to one of those neighborhoods where no one's allowed to do anything, but as far as I know most of those are for people 55+ :lol

It's drums which are significantly louder than almost any other thing that can generate noise pollution. Also, they're played for like ten minutes straight with no stopping whatsoever during certain stretches of these sessions. Power tools are usually used in spots here and there with frequent breaks in between while their user preps other aspects of their work.

Also, you're being daft if you think my not wanting to hear loud-ass drums that sound almost as obnoxious as someone visiting knocking at my door for an hour or two straight several times a week with me wanting complete silence. Your tone comes across as you thinking I have unreasonable expectations and that's fine, think whatever makes you happy, but don't twist my words.

To the other repliers, unfortunately this isn't some cool, personable amateur musician. It's some shitcunt inbred redneck whom thinks anything that alters his usual way of doing things is an attack on his personal freedom if our brief talk is anything to go on. I approached him nearly apologetically and his smug demeanor and sense of entitlement said everything it needed to about how he felt about the situation.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 10:40:22 AM »
This is why I am never getting acoustic drums. They are just too damn loud and I know I am pissing off the neighbors. I'm sticking with an electronic set.

That whole situation sucks.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 10:42:47 AM »
A lot of us have similar issues. Depending on where you live, and the appropriate ordinances, there ARE rules regarding decibel level of outside noise. It is obviously higher during the day, but in if you live in a strictly residential neighborhood, there typically are time limits.

For example, I live under county ordinances, as I live in an unincorporated area outside of city limits. When I first moved in (we are one of two centered houses on a cul-de-sac), things were fine for a while. No real noise problems except for barking dogs. I looked up the appropriate statutes, spoke to the owner, understood their issue, but pointed out the dog was by my bedroom window (less than 10 feet away, even with a fence it doesn't matter). They moved the dog to the other side of the house, and set up a fenced in runner so the dog could be over there. That worked out better.

But over the years, the house sold, and the dude who bought it gutted the entire place before actually moving in. He decided, in his stupidity, that it was OK to use power tools and make a ton of noise in this house and outside on the patio in his back yard after he got off of work at 730, and work until midnight, 1 a.m. After saying something a couple of times, I looked up county ordinances, and it says very clearly, no power tools, no noise over XX decibels past 7:30 p.m. (Note: I did understand his issue -- he works, trying to get house done, I get it -- but at the time, I had an infant whose bedroom was right next to where he was working). I went outside one night at 11:30, confronted him (back yard, he was on the patio using a power saw). He told me to go fuck off. So I printed out the code ordinances. Duct taped them (highlighted) to his door, along with a note that the cops had been called, and went home. The noise stopped.

The next day was Friday. That night, I got home, and I walked over there, where his wife was. He came out, sheepishly with her, and said they don't want any issues, we're neighbors, and they were sorry. but they do need to work on the house. So I told him I get it, but if you are going to run power tools, you either have to do it inside so it doesn't wake us up, or do it during the daytime. He didn't like it, took him longer to get his house done, but he complied.

Now, six years later, we're on good terms. He still is a moron (cuts his lawn in the dark -- idiot), but he means well. He's just not the sharpest tool in the shed. But he tries hard to be a good neighbor, and I reciprocate.

Moral of this long ass story is -- sometimes you gotta call people out on the carpet and stay on em until they realize they aren't going to "win." If this dude has a drum set, and plays it in the daytime, that's his business unless the decibel level is higher than what's permitted where you live. If it is, look up those code sections, print them out, highlight them, and hammer on him. If he refused to comply, continually call the cops (they make a record each time you call). Ultimately, you'll win if you stay on it. It sucks, but that is what this world is nowadays -- people are assholes who think they can do whatever they want whenever they want it. And that simply isn't true.

Sorry you have to deal with it man. But you're not alone. You just gotta step up your game to get it to stop.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 10:45:18 AM »
Put a whoopee cushion on his drum stool.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 10:54:17 AM »
Also, you're being daft if you think my not wanting to hear loud-ass drums that sound almost as obnoxious as someone visiting knocking at my door for an hour or two straight several times a week with me wanting complete silence. Your tone comes across as you thinking I have unreasonable expectations and that's fine, think whatever makes you happy, but don't twist my words.

Your post seems to imply that he drums for (1) hour per day in his open garage, during the day time, 4 to 5 days per week.
Unless I've misinterpreted that, I would say yes, you are being absolutely unreasonable.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 10:59:59 AM »
It's extremely loud and I don't even live on the same block as him so I can only imagine what his neighbors are dealing with. Also, he can close the fucking door and still play and not disturb others. Why is that such a horrible alternative?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 11:02:04 AM »
Also, I said at least an hour and even more than 2 hours at times so you're clearly not even reading the posts and just trying to cherry pick to make your argument appear stronger than it actually is. Do me a favor and actually post something constructive relating to the situation cuz as of now you're clearly just trying to get a rise.

Offline Cable

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 11:12:19 AM »
And yeah Black_Floyd, fair reassertion of your point. I haven't been able to play my amped up stuff in a personal basement. So when cranking was an option, it was things such as in a closed house, amp pointed away, with a blanket over it and so on. With a garage door open on the first floor and not behind walls, he is trying to show off and impress people who probably only hear racket and not music. 
---

• DT.net Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 11:17:21 AM »
He's just a textbook asshole redneck. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 11:22:22 AM »
He should close his garage door. Otherwise, I don't see a huge problem here. Suck though.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 12:01:41 PM »
Exactly. Closing the door does nothing to deprive his fun and it eliminates the noise. How any other option could be seen as superior is lunacy.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 12:25:00 PM »
Lighten up, Francis. Even if I didn't agree with him (and I think he's dead on here) Skeever's being perfectly reasonable. I often listen to a concert pretty loud while cleaning, or watch a movie full of explosions and bass rumble. I also make sure that come evening time I'm a quiet, good neighbor. If he's doing this during daytime hours, presumably he's trying to be civilized. If he's doing it in the evening then there's actually a problem, but I don't gather that's the case.

Last weekend the folks behind me had a birthday party for one of their little crotch-critters. They had a Michael Jackson impersonator come out and set up in the courtyard between us. You could have heard him from half a mile away (and I was <50'), and he smoked up the entire neighborhood. I hate Michael Jackson with a passion, but it was 4 in the afternoon and I respect their right to make a little noise if it's done responsibly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DT.net Member
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 12:32:50 PM »
What part of "his garage door is open" do you not understand? He's fully capable of enjoying this activity in a way that takes ZERO of his enjoyment away while not fucking with his neighbors. You and Skeever just sound like y'all are bad neighbors like this guy and think anything that causes y'all to have to not do things 100% your way is some kind of tyrannical infringement on your freedom.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 12:36:06 PM »
Also, do you really think loud movies in a closed house are gonna travel as far as the sound of drums in an open garage facing the complainant's house?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 12:49:04 PM »
No. I can't speak for Skeever but I think of myself as a very good neighbor who adjusts his noise level for reasonableness per the time of day and allows others to do the same. I learned that from a bass player that used to live above me. At 1800 he shut his amp off even if he was in the middle of a song. I found that quite respectful and have tried to follow his methods.

And I don't draw a distinction between playing drums and watching a loud movie. If I'm making enough noise for others to notice and potentially detract from what they're doing then I'm an imposition. I just think that reasonable people can accept that some noise is acceptable during the day, and reasonable people will keep their noise down in the morning/evening.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DT.net Member
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 12:54:31 PM »
Yeah, but in case you ignored my posts, this happens the majority of days for a minimum of an hour and more likely than not for two or more hours and it's fucking impossible to ignore even while watching TV, playing video games, or doing any other activity that would usually drown out noise pollution. Also, you still haven't told me why he shouldn't just close his garage door. Seriously, how doesn't that solve the problem for all parties involved?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2017, 12:56:30 PM »
The only reason he leaves the door open is to be a cunt.

He knows he is a cunt.

Some people only. ONLY do things to annoy others or to be a nuisance.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2017, 12:58:31 PM »
Your post seems to imply that he drums for (1) hour per day in his open garage, during the day time, 4 to 5 days per week.
Unless I've misinterpreted that, I would say yes, you are being absolutely unreasonable.

???

This isn't someone mowing their yard at 6 am on a Saturday; this is someone beating the heck out of drums, which are louder than just about anything you can imagine a neighbor doing.

Yes, things and noises like this are going to happen in life, and you have to suck it sometimes and deal with it, but in this case, I am totally with b_f. There is no reason the guy can't keep his garage door closed and bang away.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2017, 01:01:44 PM »
I think this thread has only proven that some people have an entitled mentality and legitimately think that someone is trying to impose an unfair level of authority over them for merely not wanting to be unreasonably disturbed. I'd love to see how these people would react if they were getting regularly disturbed to the extent necessary for them to feel as exasperated as the people they're likely exasperating with their rudeness.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 01:07:15 PM by black_floyd »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2017, 01:07:04 PM »
Pay my transportation and I will shit on his lawn.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2017, 01:08:12 PM »
I won't only pay your transportation. I'll wipe your ass when you're done and have an IPA and a hot Pop Tart™ waiting for you.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2017, 01:18:07 PM »
Aim the speakers at him and have a 24 loop of dubstep playing.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2017, 01:19:32 PM »
I'll make his lawn great again.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2017, 01:20:36 PM »
I'll make his lawn great again.

Russian Lawn Company.   AMIRITE?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2017, 01:26:57 PM »
Do you have other neighbors?

Talk to them. A bunch of annoyed people can do more than one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2017, 01:32:59 PM »
Accidental post

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2017, 02:27:21 PM »
I think this thread has only proven that some people have an entitled mentality and legitimately think that someone is trying to impose an unfair level of authority over them for merely not wanting to be unreasonably disturbed. I'd love to see how these people would react if they were getting regularly disturbed to the extent necessary for them to feel as exasperated as the people they're likely exasperating with their rudeness.
What it's proven is that you get butt-hurt when people don't share your opinion. But whatever. If you only want to hear things that support you, here goes:

Call the police every single time it happens until they get tired of each other. And they will. Quickly.

Get online and fine the appropriate ordinances, both city and county, and call the code inspector out. They're notorious hardasses. Make sure your house is spotless before doing so as you'll probably be next.

Find out if there's an HOA. They're worse than code inspectors.

Man up and tell him the next time he bothers you you'll shove his floor tom up his sorry ass. Legs first.

Get with all of the other neighbors, as someone else suggested, and gang up on him.

Move someplace 1 mile from the nearest living soul. Or move to an old-folks home where the loudest thing you'll hear are seniors awkwardly fucking.

Ask him if he can keep it to a specific time each day so you can plan accordingly. I'm sure you leave the house at some point each day.

I can probably dream up plenty more ideas, but I have this sneaking suspicion you don't actually want advice.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2017, 02:30:21 PM »

I stayed out of it until this.    They don't agree with you.  So what?  Doesn't mean anyone has an "entitled" mentality, just a different way of looking at things    And believe me, I'm the first friggin' person to lambaste someone for being entitled.  Are they rude?  Perhaps.   But there are reasons why that door closed could change the game.   I remember being in a band and playing in my basement, and the echo from the concrete walls was excruciating at times.   Heat.   Noise in the house (though you don't want to hear that, I can imagine).   I'm sort of with el Barto; there is a time and a place.   You don't have a right to never be disturbed.   That he MIGHT be able to placate you doesn't mean it's the same experience for him. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2017, 02:31:27 PM »
My hunch is that he doesn't shut the garage door because all he'll hear is ringing and he won't hear that for long because he'll be deaf in an hour or so.

And anecdote time. Tommy Aldridge's bad, bad self lived in Dallas for a short period of time, and he used to do the exact same thing. It wasn't my neighborhood, sadly, but he was friendly and the neighborhood kids would gather around and watch him practice. Really sorry I missed that. I would have dug it (big fan here).
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2017, 02:34:04 PM »

I can probably dream up plenty more ideas, but I have this sneaking suspicion you don't actually want advice.

Nope. He's asking for advice but everyone is just being " man up and deal with it & stop being a bitch "

Essentially.