Author Topic: The mediocrity of 1996 and 1997 and how it was saved  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: The mediocrity of 1996 and 1997 and how it was saved
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2017, 02:09:30 AM »
1997 was the year Psychotic Waltz released their final album, 'Bleeding'. And life would never be the same.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2017, 12:57:32 PM »
Nightwish - Angels Fall First, dropped.
I'll never forget the first time I heard it, never heard anything like it.
A female soprano wailing over power metal was quite a shock to the system.
Although it was a blueprint for future and far better material, for me it still is a special album to this day.
I don't really care for their older (pre-Century Child) stuff, even now.  But that kind of music wasn't even on my radar back then.  It would be interesting to see how I would have reacted to it if I had heard it back then.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2017, 09:26:53 AM »
A bit of a bump for some ramblings about how time flies, and how also our perception of it changes - am I the only one that considers "ancient history" things happened in the past of a band you just discovered (especially big ones who are around since a lot of time), while looking at the cold timeline of years it all seems so recent in comparison?

This thread is about 1996/97, allow me to go back a further year, 1995, the year when I became a metalhead discovering and falling in love with Iron Maiden first and foremost, and then Metallica, Blind Guardian, Helloween, Manowar and more others.

By that time, even if decades hadn't passed yet, or barely did, it all seemed as I said "ancient history" albums like Master of Puppets and Powerslave, but then again, looking at numbers in 1995 when I entered the world of metal...

- Freddy Mercury died just 4 years earlier. Not even 4 full years, I was already a metalhead by the time 25th November 1995 arrived.
- Bruce Dickinson had "just" left Iron Maiden, The X Factor was the new album by the band when I discovered them. He would be missing from the band for only 6 years, not even full ones; Mike Portnoy is soon heading into completing his 7th year out of Dream Theater. It's 18 years since Bruce Dickinson returned to Maiden by now.
- Iron Maiden's legendary World Slavery Tour finished only 10 years earlier. I would need to wait only three years more, 13, to see in 2008 the re-edition of that tour.
- Cliff Burton had died 9 years earlier. His replacement, Jason Newstead, is outside Metallica since 16 years.
- Helloween had just parted ways with Michael Kiske, who was in the band for 6 years. This November I will see them live with him - 24 years after he was fired in 1993.
- Kevin Moore had left Dream Theater since only a year. 4 years later Jordan Rudess would have joined, and we're into his 18th year in DT.
- 1996-97 as we all know would bring about Falling Into Infinity, the fourth album of what seemed to me already an establisihed and "adult" band. It was just their fourth album, they've done 13 now and they're on tour celebrating the 25th anniversary of an album released only 3 years earlier.
- Once again a "just happened a couple years ago" event - Ronnie James Dio has left Black Sabbath for the second time only two years before. He was about to enter the last 15 years of his life.

I could come up with many more examples, the essence is that the world was still so "young" then for many of the famous bands we all still follow today, but since many things were past events once I started to follow them, they all looked so distant while in reality they weren't.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2017, 09:40:46 PM »
bump.

I finally got around to composing a 1997 Albums Release Date Calendar and Rankings List in my blog.

https://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-year-1997-albums-calendar-and.html

And here's my list of ranked albums. Many albums in the calendar are not ranked as I have been doing in this series per I don't really know those albums well enough to rank them, but I still know them/know of them/know the artist's other work and have looked at how rateyourmusic.com users rate it among that artist's whole catalog, etc.

1. Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray
2. Soundscape - Discovery
3. Pain of Salvation - Entropia
4. Dream Theater - Falling into Infinity
5. Savatage - The Wake of Magellan
6. Pat Metheny - Imaginary Day
7. Royal Hunt - Paradox
8. Marillion - This Strange Engine
9. Magellan - Test of Wills
10. Big Wreck - In Loving Memory Of...
11. Enchant - Time Lost
12. Angra - Holy Live
13. Godspeed You Black Emperor! - F♯A♯∞ (1995-1997)
14. Ocean Machine - Biomech
15. Eternity X - The Edge
16. Conditioned Response - Pavlov's Dogs
17. The Tea Party - Transmission
18. Mew - A Triumph for Man
19. The Flower Kings - Stardust We Are
20. Galactic Cowboys - The Horse that Bud Bought
21. Yes - Keys to Ascension 2
22. Live - Secret Samadhi
23. dredg - Orph [EP]
24. Faith No More - Album of the Year
25. MagellanMusic - A Strange Traffic of Dreams
26. Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E.
27. The Quiet Room - Introspect
28. Tiles - Fence the Clear
29. IQ - Subterranea
30. Queensryche - Hear in the Now Frontier

When I get around to making 1996, I'll pass it along as well; which makes me curious to see others lists from many of the years I've done and have still yet to do.  Here's a Master list of all the years I've done so far from 1965-present
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:48:26 PM by SoundscapeMN »