Author Topic: The mediocrity of 1996 and 1997 and how it was saved  (Read 2579 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The mediocrity of 1996 and 1997 and how it was saved
« on: March 04, 2017, 06:33:12 AM »
It is now time for a personal story... :coolio

As I have often said, I grew up watching MTV non-stop in the 80s; I was born in 1973, so I was just at the right age where MTV was perfect for kids my age at the time it was great.

Fast forward to the summer of 1989, when I first worked with my older cousin cutting grass, that was my introduction to classic rock like Boston, The Who, The Doors, etc.  Driving around with him from yard to yard, he always had classic rock going, and that was the most eye opening summer of my musical life.

Then 1990 rolled around and I got into the Moody Blues, Styx and Pink Floyd.

Then along came 1991 and it was the year I got into Rush.

Soon thereafter, more classic dominoes fell on me, like Led Zeppelin, ELP, Queen, Yes, etc.

Meanwhile, I got into Dream Theater in 1993 and Queensryche around the same time, and they quickly became two of my favorites (DT much moreso).

80s favorite that stuck with me were Van Halen and U2 (although to a much lesser degree in the 90s and most of the 00s, until my rediscovery of them in '09).

1994 was a great year for new music for me, as Pink Floyd, Yes and Dream Theater all had albums I loved to death and listened to non-stop.

1995 was the year I got into two more classic bands: Kansas and Blue Oyster Cult.

By the time 1996 rolled around, I had my favorites, mostly old (Rush, Floyd, Moodies, Styx, Yes, ELP, LZ, Sabbath, Kansas, BOC, U2, VH, Beatles, etc.) and a few new (DT and QR).

Which leads me to 1996 and most of 1997. With the exception of getting into Metallica in the spring of 1996, those two years were wastelands for me as far as getting into new bands.  Remember that, for me, this was pre-internet, plus grunge and alt rock were never really my things, so they were years I listened to new CDs by my favorites a ton, which resulted in my deluding myself into thinking that those new CDs were far better than they were, because what else did I have the time?  To wit:

Rush's Test for Echo - Released in September 1996, I listened to this as much as any new CD in the 90s, because, hey, it was a new Rush CD, and that is what you do, right? I even enjoyed the hell out of it for quite a long time, a few songs notwithstanding.  Looking back now, it's hard to believe. I literally never listen to this anymore, and of Rush's 19 studio albums, I consider if their least best.

Queensryche's Hear in the Now Frontier - Released in March 1997, I listened to this like crazy as well.  It's a weird one, because even at first, I could tell it wasn't quite up to par, after having my mind blown by Promised Land a couple years prior, but 'Ryche was one of my "new" favorites, so I had to listen to as much as possible. 20 years later, I consider most of this CD pretty forgettable and can't believe I ever liked it a lot.

U2's Pop - Similar to the previous entry in several regards (also released in March 1997), I knew this wasn't up to par, but I still went through a spell where I listened to it like crazy because it was a new U2 and there was little else out there at the time grabbing me. I actually like this CD nowadays, even though its flaws are glaring.  But I doubt it would have gotten much attention from me at the time of its release had it been released a year or two earlier or later.

Sammy Hagar's Marching to Mars - When Hagar left/was fired from Van Halen, I was definitely on his side when the feud went public, so when Marching to Mars hit the stands in May 1997, I ate it up with a spoon despite not liking the first single a lot (Little White Lie).  20 years later, I cannot remember the last time I listened to this CD.  It's still pretty good, I'm sure, but I cannot imagine going out of my way to hear it now.

Which, then, leads me to Falling into Infinity, which came out in September 1997.  Here it was!  A favorite finally releasing a great CD after 1996 and most of 1997 not living up to snuff (since quite a few of those albums from those years I now love I didn't hear till years later, like OK Computer).  It was so crazy to me years later to read that a lot of DT fans were not wild about Falling into Infinity, when that album saved that 18-month stretch for me.  Sure, I knew it wasn't as great as I&W or Awake, but I didn't care; it was a favorite releasing a record that I just knew was great.  And I still love most of it to this day.  And that began the ride of getting back on to a major DT kick, which led to LTE, which led to Scenes from a Memory, which led to me seeking out dt.net on the 'net, which ultimately led to me discovering more great bands online than I could shake a stick it.  No longer would I have to scrounge and force myself to listen to blah CDs a lot just because they happen to be by existing favorites.  And I can thank Falling into Infinity for that!!  :tup :tup

Anyone else ever experience anything similar?

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: The mediocrity of 1996 and 1997 and how it was saved
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 08:02:36 AM »
I can relate to a point about Test for Echo and Hear in the Now Frontier, although I can say I don't hate either of those albums, and in the case of Queensryche, I think that album gets more shit than it deserved/deserves.

On Falling Into Infinity, the thing about that one was it took FOREVER to come out. I was literally hoping/expecting it to be released not too long after A Change of Seasons per if I recall, it said in the liner notes to anticipate their next album the following year (1996).

The Rush tribute CD Working Man: A Show of Bands was the 1 thing I felt like I got to tide me over in 1996.

But then in 1997, month after month without any confirmation. I remember Metal Edge interviewed John Petrucci and he said their new album might be called "Lines in the Sand" and 1 of the songs was titled "Raise the Knife."

And finally it was released September 23rd, 1997. And while I did enjoy it, it was a little disappointing given it sounded somewhat poppy and commercial. Although ultimately I liked it, maybe more than other fans seemed to in the subsequent years. And I think it has stood the test of time, almost seeming better than it initially did in 1997 and 1998.

But the truth was for me, the album that Saved 1997 was Fates Warning's A Pleasant Shade of Gray, which had come out back on April 22nd, 1997. That album was then and still to this day remains a masterpiece. A perfect record and still what I consider the band's greatest work.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 01:07:39 PM »
I was in my early 20s then, and it was a weird time.  :lol I gotta say, I am slightly different in how I view those years, musically.

Take Test for Echo. That was my first Rush record. I really didn't like it. But now, being a much bigger Rush fan, I love that album. I really do.

Falling Into Into Infinity I loved on release, and love now. It gets a huge knock on it, and it is completely undeserved. It has a lot of soul in it, and the changes made to songs (You Not Me, Hell's Kitchen out of Burning My Soul, etc.) were all for the better in my opinion. Solid record from top to bottom.

Hear in the Now Frontier -- I managed to get a copy of this on cassette a month before release. Me and two friends listened and we were all confused. It wasn't bad, but wasn't...quite right, either. I played it nonstop, and it grew on me. To this day, my favorite songs then, are still my favorites now: spOOL, Hit the Black, The Voice Inside, Sign of the Times, Reach, Hero, and You. I find myself still listening to those songs a few times a year even now. That's half the record. If you included the b-side, "Chasing Blue Sky," and included a track most other folks like "Some People Fly" (very filler to me), and put in one of the aggressive, but not necessarily good tunes (Saved), you actually have a 10-song record I think would have been received much better, cutting out a ton of the crap. But it is what it is.

What I remember most about those two years besides those three albums above, was me really starting to get into some of the nu-metal/modern bands, like Creed, Sevendust, Disturbed (I think), etc.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 03:15:46 PM »
Can't stand TFE. Hated it at the time and hate it now. Only Vapour Trails and Snakes &Arrows are worse. TFE being so bad came as a huge shock as I'd loved everything they had done to that point.

I feel and tell exactly the same about HITNF. Little did I know it would get a whole lot worse.

FII was ok. I'd say it's half great and I enjoy it today. I really struggled with Awake when it came out as it was so much darker than the DT I knew, so I think I liked that it was more immediate.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 09:42:57 PM »
If I was relying on my favourite bands in 96-97 I would've been very depressed.   I've never been into Rush but HITNF and FII were big fails for me at the time.  I do recall playing HITNF quite a lot trying to like it but first impressions usually stick with me and that was no exception.  My love for Queensryche was already struggling after Promised Land and HITNF cemented it.   I thought Awake was a big step down from I&W but still a strong album - FII was where I started to struggle with DT and I never properly got back on board until ADTOE.   I&W remains one of my all time favourite albums , as do the early 'Ryche albums.

The mid 90's is the period that made me into the researcher I am today - in order to find anything that suited my tastes (pre - internet) I had to use contacts , scour CD stores, take risks.   The only bands that were releasing stuff that I liked were , for the most part , obscure artists out of Europe/Scandinavia where the melodic hard rock/metal scene was still thriving to some extent.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 10:58:24 PM »
Sorry but Test For Echo is a top 5 Rush album for me.   So much better than Counterparts.  Everything that CP tried too hard to do and didn't quite succeed, TFE accomplished beautifully.   I realize I'm in the minority on this.

Then...you must remember....1997 is when A Pleasant Shade of Gray came out.   Freakin MASTERPIECE that one.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 03:16:21 AM »
If I was relying on my favourite bands in 96-97 I would've been very depressed.   I've never been into Rush but HITNF and FII were big fails for me at the time.  I do recall playing HITNF quite a lot trying to like it but first impressions usually stick with me and that was no exception.  My love for Queensryche was already struggling after Promised Land and HITNF cemented it.   I thought Awake was a big step down from I&W but still a strong album - FII was where I started to struggle with DT and I never properly got back on board until ADTOE.   I&W remains one of my all time favourite albums , as do the early 'Ryche albums.

The mid 90's is the period that made me into the researcher I am today - in order to find anything that suited my tastes (pre - internet) I had to use contacts , scour CD stores, take risks.   The only bands that were releasing stuff that I liked were , for the most part , obscure artists out of Europe/Scandinavia where the melodic hard rock/metal scene was still thriving to some extent.

These were indeed the Dark Ages for quality metal/hard rock. I was also relying on contacts at a couple of mail order cd stores to recommend stuff.

There was one of Yngwie's best albums in Facing The Animal, Megadeth's Cryptic Writings (not a fave of Megadeth fans obviously but I liked it). Slim pickings indeed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 06:49:26 AM »
I should mention that I got a ton of mileage out of Eric Johnson's Venus Isle in 1996.  And I still like that CD a lot.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 07:53:18 AM »
Man Kev I disagree.  There were so many albums from 96 to 97 that were really good.

I Mother Earth --Scenery and Fish
The Eels -- Beautiful Freak
Better Than Ezra -- Friction Baby
Weezer -- Pinkerton
Tool -Aenima
Counting Crows -- Recovering the Satellites
Tonic -- Lemon Parade

Our Lady Peace -- Clumsy
Ben Folds Five -- Whatever and Ever Amen
Jars Of Clay -- Much Afraid

I was just getting into these bands.  Maybe I just love searching for new music.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 08:03:14 AM »
Steve Vai's Fire Garden was enough for me during these years. The bonus was discovering Dream Theater in 1996.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 08:34:21 AM »
Man Kev I disagree.  There were so many albums from 96 to 97 that were really good.

[/quote

Name one!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 08:38:23 AM »
If you quoted correctly Tim, you'd see them. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 08:46:55 AM »
1996:

Khaooohs & Kon-Fus-Ion by Pan.Thy.Monium
Waiting by Porcupine Tree
MTV Unplugged by Alice In Chains
Soundtracks For The Blind by Swans
Murder Ballads by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Virus by Iron Maiden
None Too Soon by Allan Holdsworth
Jongleries Élastiques by Miriodor
Strange Attactors by U Totem
Venus Isle by Eric Johnson
Morningrise by Opeth
Crimson by Edge Of Sanity
Signify by Porcupine Tree
Harbour Of Tears by Camel
Through Silver Blood by Neurosis
The Dark Saga by Iced Earth
Eternity by Anathema
Dies Irae by Devil Doll

1997:

Nighttime Birds by The Gathering
City by Strapping Young Lad
The Boatman's Call by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Unfolded Like Staircase by Discipline
Fancy by Idiot Flesh
Sehnsucht by Rammstein
Pewit by Pekka Pohjola
Huono Parturi by Höyry-Kone
Ocean Machine: Biomech by Devin Townsend
Falling Into Infinity by Dream Theater
Coma Divine by Porcupine Tree
Nine Lives by Aerosmith
The Divine Wings Of Tragedy by Symphony X
Entropia by Pain Of Salvation
Accident Of Birth by Bruce Dickinson
Black Light Syndrome by Bozzio, Levin, Stevens
A Fistful Of Alice by Alice Cooper
Mundus Incompertus by Pär Lindh Project

Not bad years I'd say..

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 09:58:49 AM »

Right, but in the context of where I was as a music fan at the time, which I laid out, there wasn't a lot for me at the time.  Great albums like OK Computer and the stuff by PT, Flower Kings and Spock's did come to me till years later.  And I wasn't a fan of most grunge or alt rock at the time (still aren't, really).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 10:46:05 AM »
I'm just saying maybe you narrowed your search for good new music. I'm a music whore and I loved checking out new bands.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 11:20:47 AM »
Maybe. but I was 23/24 at the time, and I go in spells with wanting to check out new bands. I don't want all of my time spent checking out new bands to where I have no time for the existing ones I already like, and I already liked a ton of bands in 1996/1997, and now it's even more off the charts.  So much music, so little time.  Plus, I didn't know all of those albums my favorites released in 1996 and 1997 would turn out to not be that great. 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 11:56:54 AM »

[/thread]
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »
Interesting thread. Definitely agree with QR's HitNF - I HATED that CD (aside from spOOL) until I finally caught 2 of their shows on that tour and got to hear them alongside their older songs that I finally started to appreciate some of it. To this day, it's a very "meh" album for me, altho some of QR's albums from the Tateryche era are the same or worse.

Rush's TFE is an OK album - not sure where I would rank it, but definitely towards the bottom of their catalog. It has some good songs on it, but definitely several clunkers too.

FII is another one that fell flat for me. Having listened to the new songs, plus the reworked older ones from a bootleg of the very first Fix for 96 show, I was very disappointed in the changes that were made to the final album versions. I've since grown to appreciate the album more, but it still is far from at the top of my DT album rankings.

The ones I'm surprised having not gotten *any* mention at all yet are Load and ReLoad. I still remember how hyped up everyone was to hear the first single from Metallica's brand new album - the local radio station was making all these statements and they were playing it every hour. After one listen to Until It Sleeps, they lost me completely. Talk about deflating my interest in them! I was OK with the progression from AJFA to the black album, but THIS!?!? LAME!!! Biggest disappointment of all of them. And ReLoad wasn't any better - especially with Marianne Faithful's horrid vocals on The Memory Remains.

The one album to redeem this time period for me was definitely FW's APSoG. I liked some of their older stuff - in particular Perfect Symmetry and Parallels (couldn't get into Inside Out), but APSoG won me over completely. Love that album from start to finish and still do to this day.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 03:59:56 PM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 08:31:29 PM »

[/thread]

That's obviously a good album, but just listing the good albums from those two years, without considering the context and how I presented my POV at the time, is missing the point.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 03:35:24 AM »
Your taste was not quite evolving.   I've caught bands later and some albums have blown me away  (Haken - The Mountain) while the earlier albums (Haken - Aquarius & Visions) did not blow me away.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 04:39:02 AM »
1996:
Morningrise by Opeth

1997:
The Divine Wings Of Tragedy by Symphony X

Came here to post these two

Also worth noting:
Pinkerton - Weezer
Metallica - Load
Yes - Keys To Ascension 1&2 because we don't talk about the other thing
Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways
& I actually thought TFE was a step-up from RTB & CP  :coolio
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 05:13:41 AM »
That was a weird period for me, I was young and so was the internet; I was really a casual music listener as a kid, just going by with stuff heard in the family, it was only in 1994 that I opened up with foreign music and heavy music, Bon Jovi was the one that started it all, and then in 1995 I discovered heavy metal and Iron Maiden was my first metal band I loved, and they'll always have the title of my favorite band.

I wasn't a Dream Theater fan yet, I was mostly into Maiden, Metallica, Helloween and Manowar, so those years were basically me trying to catch a glimpse of Until it Sleeps in the radio or the video for The Memory Remains on MTV and the likes. I was basically getting by with cassette tapes, I hadn't the means to follow the scene so only some years later I came to realize how this was a kinda bleak point in heavy / alternative music history.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 08:28:59 AM »
What saved '96 and '97 for me was going back and listening to albums from 10 years earlier instead.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 09:19:48 AM »

The ones I'm surprised having not gotten *any* mention at all yet are Load and ReLoad. I still remember how hyped up everyone was to hear the first single from Metallica's brand new album - the local radio station was making all these statements and they were playing it every hour. After one listen to Until It Sleeps, they lost me completely. Talk about deflating my interest in them! I was OK with the progression from AJFA to the black album, but THIS!?!? LAME!!! Biggest disappointment of all of them. And ReLoad wasn't any better - especially with Marianne Faithful's horrid vocals on The Memory Remains.

Ah yes. These were two more. I didn't like the shift away from thrash that Metallica had made. I felt for sure that after TBA, they'd go back to thrash a bit, and was really bummed they didn't. Metallica sort of died for me then. Every band put out one of those glossy hard rock records (Megadeth did Countdown, Queensryche did Empire, etc., etc.) But when Metallica did it, while crazy popular, I wasn't as fond of it. I liked it, but wasn't over the top. So when Load debuted, it crushed me.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like Load as a record. But not as a Metallica record. Had a new band came along and put that record out there at the time, I would have taken to it better. But because it was Metallica, I had a hard time with it. To this day, I don't listen to anything post-BLack album with any sort of regularity. But there are some great songs on Load.

The one album to redeem this time period for me was definitely FW's APSoG. I liked some of their older stuff - in particular Perfect Symmetry and Parallels (couldn't get into Inside Out), but APSoG won me over completely. Love that album from start to finish and still do to this day.

It's funny. APSOG was my first Fates record, and I hated it when I heard it. It took me shelving it, and revisiting it a couple years later, at which point I fell in love with it. Such a great album.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 09:32:41 AM »
Yeah, back in the day it was pretty bleak with Metallica.

Looking back with older and wiser ears one could argue a lot for the musical quality of those records, and also put into context the evolution of file sharing and downloads, but back in the day, the triple combo of change of look, change of style and aggressive stance on Napster kinda made the whole Metallica experience a whole lot of "meh".

Still, the videos for Until it Sleeps and The Memory Remains were quite good. And I was never annoyed by Marianne Faithful's vocals.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 09:36:31 AM »
I have no problem with those years, because that was when I was 16-17 years old and just discovering that there was more to music than the Metallica, Megadeth and Ozzy/Sabbath cd's that I owned.

I got my drivers license in 1996 and had a car with only an AM/FM Radio.  So I'd listen to the local rock stations and discovered bands like Priest, Queensryche and the Scorpions.  I'd also go to the library, where I could check out CD's and cassettes and discovered Maiden and Testament, and then copy my favorite songs onto tapes.  Classmates in those years turned me onto Pantera, Slayer and Anthrax.  So I spent those years exploring metal bands of the prior decade.

I remember hearing Until it Sleeps on the radio and loved it, but I've never held Metallica to their thrash roots until after St. Anger was released and I hated it.  At the time, they were my favorite band and I'd defend them to the death for Load and Reload, though I proudly wore my denim jacket with the RtL skeleton back-patch to fly the flag for "old" Metallica.

I went to my first real rock concert in 1996 - Styx on their reunion tour.  That led me into seeing live shows on my own in 1997 (Ozzfest and Pantera headlining) and also enjoying a lot of classic rock bands of my parent's generation.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 09:39:49 AM »
To this day, I don't listen to anything post-BLack album with any sort of regularity.

Ditto - pretty much never for me although the new one will get a few spins here and there from now on.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 09:46:37 AM »
I pretty much fall in line with Kev in terms of these years being somewhat of a "musical wasteland," although some of my main bands were different from his.  I didn't notice FII when it came out.  I liked what Megadeth was doing in the '90s, but they lost me with Cryptic.  Same with Metallica up to that point.  I actually liked Until It Sleeps.  Although it was a softer song, it had a darkness and sinister bent to it that I thought suited them.  But when the album dropped, I didn't care for it as a whole.  And on and on.  There were a few good things.  I actually loved HITNF, for instance.  But overall, just not good years.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2017, 10:07:44 AM »
I feel like that time span in the nineties wasn't the best for metal music.  A lot of bands that were big in the 80s and still around, were evolving and a lot of newer bands were playing grunge and other new bands just hadn't caught on yet so it would be hard to discover at that time.  I also think Pop music was becoming bigger and metal/rock music was starting to become less popular (you started hearing less and less rock hits on the radio and more pop).  Eventually the NYC rock radio KROQ would disappear and the emergence of the internet became the way to expose yourself to rock/metal music which lead to the discovery of a lot of the bands mentioned during that time, but how does one discover that without radio support and before the internet?  I was only a kid growing up in the 90s but I remember songs by Offspring/Green Day/311 dominating the radio only to be replaced by Britney Spears/NSYNC/Spice Girls.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2017, 11:17:57 AM »
I liked what Megadeth was doing in the '90s, but they lost me with Cryptic.
While I wouldn't hold Cryptic Writings up as one of their best, I thought it was a decent album. Certainly better than Risk and even TWNaH which just felt forced. Those two albums are what led to me losing interest in them. Altho they were released after the 96-97 period, so I guess they don't count here!   :P
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2017, 11:28:05 AM »
While I wouldn't hold Cryptic Writings up as one of their best, I thought it was a decent album. Certainly better than Risk and even TWNaH which just felt forced. Those two albums are what led to me losing interest in them. Altho they were released after the 96-97 period, so I guess they don't count here!   :P

Uh oh, you just opened up the can of worms with bosk1 that is his undying love for Risk.  :corn

TWNaH had great artwork, and a few good tunes (Disconnect comes to mind immediately), but most of it was a letdown, particularly given how great of a guitarist Al Petrelli is.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2017, 12:38:33 PM »
TWNaH had great artwork, and a few good tunes (Disconnect comes to mind immediately), but most of it was a letdown, particularly given how great of a guitarist Al Petrelli is.

And how great a drummer Jimmy is.  Although Jimmy put on an absolute drum clinic on that album.  To date, that is my favorite performance of his, and he has had some great ones through the years with a lot of different bands.  But, yeah, the problem is that the songs as a whole just mostly fell flat on that album.

I'm not going to touch the Risk thing.  As I have repeatedly acknowledged, it IS very different and obviously isn't everyone's cuppa'.  I personally really like it, but I have no problem acknowledging that that is definitely the minority view.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:57:41 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2017, 02:54:13 PM »

I actually lost interest with Youthanasia.

I felt that TWNAH started their "comeback" for lack of a better term. It's not very good, but started a decent run for them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2017, 08:31:05 AM »
Test For Echo:  "Net boy! Net girl!".  No thanks.

Good call with Our Lady Peace "Clumsy", though.   

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2017, 12:47:25 AM »
Nightwish - Angels Fall First, dropped.
I'll never forget the first time I heard it, never heard anything like it.
A female soprano wailing over power metal was quite a shock to the system.
Although it was a blueprint for future and far better material, for me it still is a special album to this day.