Author Topic: I am a thief, and a horrible person  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I am a thief, and a horrible person
« on: March 03, 2017, 04:40:10 PM »
I work for a very large company, a Fortune 200 company, the kind that keeps most of its employees in a large headquarters building but wisely keeps the programmers miles away in satellite buildings so we don't interact too much with the normal people.  In 12 years, I've worked in three different buildings, none of which were the main HQ, and we'll be moving again later this year.

We moved to this building last fall, and different groups moved at different times, so different people arrived here at different times.  Most of us IT folks have worked with each other at some point for some project over the years, so there's always a few reunions and stuff.  The guy kitty-corner from me used to run reports for me in a different group two buildings ago.  He's pretty cool.  The cubicle directly across from me was vacant when I got here, but had a name on it, someone from some other group.  I figured I'd eventually meet this person, my new neighbor.  I have never seen this person.  I've been here nearly six months, and they never moved in, even though I know everyone has moved out of the old building because the lease was up at the end of 2016.  The cubicle across from me is still empty.

Moving is a pain in the ass of course, but our admin is a wonderful lady named Jocelyn who printed up these awesome colorful name signs and left a little card and bag of chocolate mints in each cubicle.  A "housewarming" gift of sorts, to help ease the pain in the ass.

Most days by late afternoon I'm ready for a snack of some kind.  I'll head over to the vending machine, or maybe open the extra bag of chips I picked up at lunchtime or something.  Today I did not do that.  The little bag of chocolate mints for the guy in the cubicle across from me was still sitting there, calling to me.  I could hear them.  Frankly, it was getting rather distracting.  I did what I had to do.  I ate them.  He will never know.  Hell, he will probably never actually move in here, and may not even exist.  But the fact remains.  I took something that was not mine, and I ate it.  Five little chocolate mints.  They were yummy.  I am a thief, and a horrible person.

:yarr
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 06:25:55 PM by Orbert »

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: I am a thief, and a horrible person
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 05:37:29 PM »
How dare ye!  :rollin

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 05:38:36 PM »
Well done. *golf clap*

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 05:40:42 PM »
Guilt over cookies? You poor boy.  ;)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 11:28:06 PM »
I thought this story was going to end with you commandeering the extra cubicle, so taking a few chocolates seems benign by comparison. I'm disappointed in you Orbert. Feeling guilt over a cheap foodstuff? You're better than that!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 11:48:52 PM »
God bless you Rob :tup
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 07:54:14 AM »
I thought this story was going to end with you commandeering the extra cubicle, so taking a few chocolates seems benign by comparison. I'm disappointed in you Orbert. Feeling guilt over a cheap foodstuff? You're better than that!

I don't need another cubicle, and they're all the same size so there would be no point it switching.  I just wanted the chocolate mints.

No guilt.  The pirate emoji was to indicate that I'm actually quite proud of myself.  I just couldn't come right out and say that, because that would be like bragging.  "I stole some yummies!"

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 08:34:18 AM »
You have now sealed your own fate because you will now, most likely, probably, will eventually, someday die.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 12:34:51 PM »
Shit.  See, these are the kinds of things I just don't think about beforehand.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 07:32:01 PM »
Someone had to do it. Might as well be you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 07:35:26 PM »
Nobody gets between Orbert and chocolate and mints.   Nobody.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 07:54:45 PM »
Watch the poor guy finally show up on Monday.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 07:57:57 PM »
He deserved it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 09:23:25 PM »
Watch the poor guy finally show up on Monday.

The card is still there, welcoming him to the new digs.  He won't have any idea that there was anything else originally with it.

In other words, fuck 'im.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 05:23:56 AM »
If they were Junior Mints, you were totally justified.  Who's gonna turn down Junior Mints? It's chocolate, it's peppermint, it's delicious.  It's very refreshing!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 06:29:45 AM »
These were beyond Junior Mints, though I definitely would've taken Junior Mints, too.  These were chocolate mint truffles in a fancy-schmancy little green foil package (the kind you can't open without ripping the whole package to hell).  Once I'd ripped open the package, it was over.  I had to eat them, else they'd've gone bad.  I was actually performing a public service by not letting them go bad.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 07:11:23 AM »
Not all heroes wear capes.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 07:13:09 AM »
You guys are mean.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 07:23:58 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 12:16:56 PM »
If they were Junior Mints, you were totally justified.  Who's gonna turn down Junior Mints? It's chocolate, it's peppermint, it's delicious.  It's very refreshing!

I've referenced this episode to the majority of people who've come through my line with Junior Mints over the last few years and the majority aren't familiar with the episode. Society is going to shit.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 01:01:41 PM »

I've referenced this episode to the majority of people who've come through my line with Junior Mints over the last few years and the majority aren't familiar with the episode. Society is going to shit.

I don't know the reference either.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2017, 01:37:06 PM »
Seinfeld bruh.

This whole clip is fuckin money but I timestamped the link in case you don't wanna blow 4 minutes on a clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M29A6rZpKqk#t=217s
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 01:43:57 PM by black_floyd »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 04:32:28 PM »
Tim, you shame us all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2017, 05:01:28 PM »
Tim, you shame us all.

From 10/94 to 5/98, I basically worked nights. I missed the major portion of Seinfeld's run.

And I just don't have time to sit through reruns.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2017, 05:16:48 PM »
That I understand now.  I worked nights myself but I was able to see it. Thankfully these days everything I watch is on my DVR.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2017, 08:37:00 PM »
I can probably still quote the vast majority of Seinfeld episodes nearly verbatim, and I rarely see them anymore, outside of catching the occasional rerun.  I just watched them so much back in the day that they are all ingrained in my head.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 05:20:09 AM »
I can probably still quote the vast majority of Seinfeld episodes nearly verbatim, and I rarely see them anymore, outside of catching the occasional rerun.  I just watched them so much back in the day that they are all ingrained in my head.

This .... so fucking much.  I've got the DVDs of Seasons 1-4 downstairs somewhere still in the shrink-wrap.

I wonder if the cubicle inhabitant was named Mulva?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 06:02:37 AM »
"10% being watched"
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2017, 10:35:59 AM »
I wonder if the cubicle inhabitant was named Mulva?

My first thought was Milton Waddams, but that dude came to work without even receiving a paycheck, so I couldn't imagine him not showing up.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2017, 12:42:48 PM »
I think the bigger crime is what took so long to eat those? 6 months?  That shouldn't of lasted 6 hours sitting there.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2017, 01:39:32 PM »
We don't know when the other folks from other groups will show up.  People were still moving in here months after me.