Author Topic: I'm unemployed - but not for much longer!  (Read 5487 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: I'm unemployed!
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2017, 06:18:55 PM »
Chad... I'm sorry to hear that you lost your job, but I am glad to hear it's a positive thing. Hopefully having this lifted off your shoulders will help you mentally.

Also..

You've been missed here. I've debated posting about it being "cold" here to see if it brings you out of the shadows.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2017, 07:18:18 PM »
You pussies.  I went to Canada to visit him.

inb4 Rich reminds everyone he crossed an ocean for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2017, 07:23:10 PM »

Well don't you feel special
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2017, 07:39:06 PM »

Yup.  Trumps all.

Jay, you know it to be true.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2017, 07:57:30 PM »
Damn, I was hoping for a meet up in NJ.  But considering I've been working on planning my summer vacation going to Seattle and driving down to San Fran, I guess that works.  :yarr

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2017, 08:09:18 PM »
But considering I've been working on planning my summer vacation going to Seattle and driving down to San Fran, I guess that works.  :yarr
That's funny. Under strong consideration for the TACs' Summer Vacation involves SF and Seattle.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2017, 08:13:33 PM »
But considering I've been working on planning my summer vacation going to Seattle and driving down to San Fran, I guess that works.  :yarr
That's funny. Under strong consideration for the TACs' Summer Vacation involves SF and Seattle.

I've been wanting to do that for awhile.  Seattle to Portland to San Fran with stops inbetween at national parks.  I had to punt it last year because it was a bit too much to do after doing my tour of Texas and Arizona earlier.  I haven't been to Washington or Oregon before, plus all these states are legalized so I figured that adds some fun.  The girl I've been seeing also had the same idea as me before we even met so we are trying to go together which would be nice.  She's big into national parks so that's her idea to visit some which looks like they are sort of on the way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2017, 08:17:09 PM »
I want to do a Texas tour too. We've been to Arizona twice. Even Talked The Lovely Mrs TAC into seeing Iron Maiden in Phoenix in 1998!

Last summer, we did Yellowstone and the Grand Teton National Parks. They were both amazing!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2017, 08:24:37 PM »
haha at convincing the wife to go to IM ( I have yet to convince any girl to come to that concert with me).  It's funny though because I did convince my girl to wait on booking to see if any tours are going through that area this summer so we can go to a concert too.  She's cool with it.  I'm specifically waiting on 311 to announce their summer tour.  I followed them through three dates in Texas last summer, Austin Dallas and Houston meeting El Barto on the way.  Good times.  :yarr

Also I recall your pics from your vacation last year and it looked awesome.  One day I want to do something similar.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2017, 02:48:13 AM »
Great to hear this might be one of these cases where losing you job might actually be for the best! Really glad for you, Chad, and definitely hope to see you around more.

Also this:

Ayreon is playing in the Netherlands in September, just saying!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2017, 05:00:09 AM »

I would do anything for you. :heart

From what you've said, "sorry about the job loss" doesn't feel appropriate at all. So instead I'm going to say congrats on what sounds like a really positive situation! Anna went through something not entirely dissimilar a couple of years ago - she chose to quit her job, but similarly she was hating it and for the sake of her mental health that job ending was the best thing that could have happened to her. Odd how these things work out sometimes.

It's awesome that the severance package allows you some time and space to take stock, enjoy yourself and then think about what comes next.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2017, 08:14:37 PM »
Chad...  I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad for you!  It sounds like this might be actually very liberating for you.  I guess I just hope that everything will work out for you and your family, Bro.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2017, 08:20:13 PM »
Thanks Greg.  You used the two phrases I've been constantly saying over the past week - it's not a sad thing at all; and I feel liberated.  My first reaction to the news was "you know, I'm mostly relieved".  By the end of the day, I was telling people "I'm liberated".

It's shocking how draining my job had been over the last little while.  This is definitely a good think - in a weird way.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2017, 08:27:26 PM »
It's kind of interesting..  I'm such a "Structured" guy.  I need that structure in my life.  The security of that "Job" .  I envy you that you seemingly don't :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2017, 08:33:02 PM »
It's kind of interesting..  I'm such a "Structured" guy.  I need that structure in my life.  The security of that "Job" .  I envy you that you seemingly don't :)

Oh, don't get me wrong... I do as well.  I'm a rather risk averse kinda guy.  But, as I said - and at least for the moment - I'm going to enjoy all the advantages of being unemployed.... while having complete financial security.  For the short term at least.  2 months tops, then I'll start looking for work again. I already had 3 informal/verbal offers when I was informing customers/colleagues/suppliers of my situation.  I'm rather comfortable with my position - both my current finances, and my future prospects for regaining employment.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2017, 11:42:30 AM »
Some people get a mid-life crisis… I’ve had the good fortune and luxury of having a mid-life retirement.  The last 8 months has been the best time of my life - reading, working out, spending time with family... basically, enjoying life on my own terms.  But alas, that is all coming to an end in a couple of weeks

I started casually job hunting over the summer, then put it into full gear in September when the jingle.kids went back to school.  Job hunting isn't really all that fun, but it had to be done - I wasn't 'set' enough to full-time retire.  I'd been a final candidate at a couple of jobs, but they both ended up going forward with internal candidates.  Last week, I got the offer for the job/position that I had dearly wanted - that I had been chasing since the beginning of the summer.  Back in June, I had beers with an old customer who connected me with a colleague of his (Mike… my soon-to-be boss).  Mike and I kept in touch over the summer, and just before Labour Day he called to tell me that they were going to add a person to his team.  Two months and 5 rounds of interviews later, I got the job offer, and start at the end of the month.

It’s all been surreal, and I’ve truly been blessed over these past 8 months.  My old company (which was acquired) has turned into an absolute train wreck.  People are pulling the ripcord all over the place, and there are still more changes to be coming.  My job/company had been a tremendous irritant to my depression, and a handful of other problems in my life.  I was one of the very few that got out at a good time AND with a good package.

So 8 months ago, I get told by them to go home, along with a fantastic separation package.  I'll end up having taken 9 months off (that also came with some additional perks related to the separation that are too cumbersome to explain), and the job I end up landing is as if it was written with my resume in mind, in a growing space in the technology industry, and a 20% raise to boot!  I told mrs.jingle that this almost doesn’t feel real… that it’s too good to be true.  The time off has invigorated me in so many ways, allowing me to do things I never would have been able to otherwise …  most of which has helped me push aside my depression.

We’re off to Costa Rica to “celebrate” next Thursday, and then I start work again on the 27th.

Yay me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: I'm unemployed - but not for much longer!
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2017, 11:46:33 AM »
Congratulations! That sounds awesome  :yarr

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2017, 11:47:41 AM »
Awesome to hear Chad, good luck in the new job, and enjoy the end of vacation vacation!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2017, 11:51:10 AM »
Yeah, congratulations! Hopefully the new job goes well!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2017, 11:52:29 AM »
Congrats!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2017, 11:54:35 AM »
Let's all celebrate the awesomeness that is being Chad!

"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2017, 12:06:37 PM »
Great news Chad  :tup   Very happy for you!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2017, 12:07:35 PM »
That's awesome news Chad!!! Congratulations on that  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2017, 12:15:31 PM »
Couldn't be happier for you.  Enjoy your remaining time off then knock it out of the park!!! 

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2017, 12:53:31 PM »
Incredibly news! Congrats!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2017, 01:20:34 PM »
As ElBarto would say.... :tup
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2017, 02:34:04 PM »
Sounds like win, win, and then more win!!  The trifecta!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2017, 02:42:48 PM »
Awesome Chad.

You not being on DTF so much is a win win for everyone! ;D

j/k

There's gators in the water in Costa Rica. Be careful.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2017, 03:25:15 PM »
Thanks for all the well wishes men.  I honestly can't tell you how lucky I feel (and know that I have been) regarding how this year has transpired.  I was at one of the lowest points of my life to start the year, and I fully recognize my good fortunes on everything that transpired since I was let go.  Former work friends constantly tell me how lucky I was to have gotten the bullet on day 2 of the acquisition, and a fellow DTF'r told me that "I'd suck cock for 8 months off".

Win, win, win is an absolute understatement.

Now I just need to re-adjust to working life again... and less DTF'g.   :-[ 

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2017, 06:28:49 PM »
That's awesome Chad!

Have fun in Costa Rica and good luck at the new job, I can't wait to hear about it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2017, 06:36:00 PM »
WOOOOOOOOTTTT!!! Congrats Chad!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2017, 07:17:41 PM »
Awesome!! Will the new job send you to visit DTF friends?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2017, 07:55:49 PM »
Awesome!! Will the new job send you to visit DTF friends?

I certainly hope so.  Not sure what my travel schedules will be like, as this role is more Canadian centric than my last roles were.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2017, 08:27:49 PM »
I've got an advantage for a meet up.

It's a secret though. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2017, 10:14:10 PM »
Congrats, bud! :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.