Author Topic: Albums that "changed the game"  (Read 4090 times)

Offline PowerSlave

Re: Albums that "changed the game"
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2017, 12:23:29 PM »
I don't know if it's where you live or what, but I would put British Steel instead of Stained Class (even though I consider SC one of Priest's top three records).

I would add Deep Purple In Rock.

I would add Blizzard of Ozz.

I would add Back In Black.

British Steel is a much more popular album. The reason that I went with Stained Class is because I thought that it was what firmly established the band, and cemented their signature sound.

Those other albums are perfect choices!
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2017, 12:28:33 PM »
Slayer - Reign in Blood

It laid the blueprint for death metal, and pushed the limits of what could be considered musical. 1986 was actually a tremendous year for milestone thrash albums with this, Master of Puppets, and Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? all making a significant impact on the metal genre.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Art

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2017, 12:33:43 PM »
I suppose TBA by Metallica has to be on the list. Big break through in terms of "well produced, radio ready" heavy metal. A lot of bands tried to follow what they did on this album, with mixed results.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2017, 12:36:48 PM »
9. Queensryche - Rage for Order

The band's third studio effort, and second full length album. The band at this point would completely alter their sound for each effort, so in a way it's difficult to say that it was a game changer in that regard. However, this is the one that forced everyone else to thing outside the box. Combining synth-pop and heavy metal was probably on nobody else's radar before this album hit.

I would actually list Mindcrime and Empire as Queensryche's co-"game changers."  And not just because those are their two biggest, most successful albums.  In the rearview mirror, we can say Rage was influential and a game-changer now.  But, IMO, that is only because people went back and discovered that album because of Mindcrime and Empire.  Unless I just missed it and was unaware, by and large, the album really wasn't noticed by many at the time it came out.

Mindcrime is influential and "changed the game" at the time it came out for obvious reasons.  Nobody in metal had done anything like it, both in terms of being such a groundbreaking, detailed, and meticulously-penned concept album, and in terms of the things that it did musically.  This album definitely changed the game. 

I list Empire s a "co-game changer" for a couple of reasons.  Independently, it was groundbreaking because it took more complex, intricate, moody, almost-prog metal and made it accessible to the masses.  This hadn't been done before, and, IMO wouldn't really be done on a huge scale until DT really defined prog metal as a genre with Images & Words.  But secondly, I link it inextricably with Mindcrime because Empire brought Mindcrime to the masses.  The band ingeniously used the success of Empire to make Mindcrime the co-focus of the Building Empires tour and was able to fully showcase Mindcrime as I am sure they wish they could have done on the Mindcrime tour, and THAT was truly genre-defining. 

So, there you have it.  I think Queensryche gets two "game changer" albums.

Hmm. I see both points of view. My musician friends all swear up and down how influential Rage for Order was. There was nothing like it, and it inspired a lot of goth musicians, as well as progressive bands. So I'd have to agree with the Rage for Order naming for sure.

That said, bosk1 also makes some good points. While there were certainly awesome concept albums before Operation: Mindcrime, it was (at the time) the first heavy metal (as the term was accepted back then) concept record, and the first to really gain a lot of notoriety in the rock scene overall in quite some time. It sort of bridged that gap between all the 1970s conceptual works, and made one for modern heavy metal. So I think it was a game-changer as well.

As for Empire, I can't argue with bosk1's points, but I don't think mainstreaming that kind of metal sound was a game changer. Lots of bands mainstreamed their sound and still kept their integrity. And that is what Empire was, mostly. It took Queensryche's more heady music and lyrics, got a warmer tone, and made it a bit more accessible while still giving fans enough musicality to set itself apart (mostly) from the pop metal of the era. Songs like Jet City Woman and Another Rainy Night, and Hand on Heart, are all pop, but had JUST enough musicality to straddle the line and pass muster with most fans of their earlier work (it helped that tunes such as Empire and Anybody Listening were on there, which to me are two of the band's best songs).

But a game-changer? Hmm. Not sure I'd agree.

Rage and Mindcrime though? Certainly.

I say this respectfully - as someone who saw the 'ryche as an opening act for Kiss in '84-ish, (The Warning tour), but if Rage is, then wouldn't Empire CERTAINLY be?   When they did "Silent Lucidity" with the orchestra, wasn't that one of the first resurgences of that gimmick (I think Aerosmith was actually before that, but they're different types of bands)?  It was more of a cross over, and was an album that sort of cemented their "prog" roots without being a clone of the album that came before it.  What actually was "game changing" about Rage (as great an album as it is)?   

(As an aside, I think that record is one of the best SOUNDING albums I've ever heard).   

I think that all three of you guys make great points. The reason that I went with RFO was that I think that it had a greater effect on the ProgMetal genre as a whole. The approach and layering of the tracks had a bigger effect on the people that came along afterward. With Mindcrime I don't see as many progressive elements (outside of Anarchy X and Suite Sister Mary). Empire is a great album, but it's not a prog album, and I don't see anything on it that someone else had done successfully before. And to expand on that, it didn't signal a shift in the genre, but more of an end to an era.

I'd also point to Roads to Madness on The Warning as a previous use of orchestration by the band.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2017, 12:49:23 PM »
PowerSlave -- great thread.

Re: "prog" -- slippery slope, as you know. One person's definition of prog (and, the definition of it accepted throughout different points in time) vary. Mindcrime to me is very much prog, but not in how the term is accepted today.

To add to your point about Mindcrime/RFO -- keep in mind that Anarchy-X was taken from the Rage sessions. It's a part of a longer song that was a demo called "Rage for Order." So I think that builds on your initial point about RFO being the one you selected for sure.

Great, great discussion overall, not just QR, but the thread. Whoever mentioned GnR -- agreed wholeheartedly. I am sure no one would ever consider them progressive, but the Appetite record did signal a shift moving forward.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2017, 12:58:09 PM »
To add to your point about Mindcrime/RFO -- keep in mind that Anarchy-X was taken from the Rage sessions. It's a part of a longer song that was a demo called "Rage for Order." So I think that builds on your initial point about RFO being the one you selected for sure.

I was not aware of that. Has the demo ever been released or leaked to the internet?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2017, 12:58:17 PM »
The reason that I went with RFO was that I think that it had a greater effect on the ProgMetal genre as a whole. The approach and layering of the tracks had a bigger effect on the people that came along afterward. The approach and layering of the tracks had a bigger effect on the people that came along afterward. With Mindcrime I don't see as many progressive elements (outside of Anarchy X and Suite Sister Mary).

Interesting that you singled out Anarchy X, since it was originally written as part of the Rage sessions and was, at that point, titled "Rage for Order" rather than Anarchy X.  Not sure if you knew that, but it does sort of support your point in a way you maybe hadn't intended.

Empire is a great album, but it's not a prog album, and I don't see anything on it that someone else had done successfully before. And to expand on that, it didn't signal a shift in the genre, but more of an end to an era.

I'd also point to Roads to Madness on The Warning as a previous use of orchestration by the band.

Okay, but here's where I would say that Empire still fits the bill.  And I'm not arguing a point so much as just expanding on what I previously wrote (in other words, I'm not trying to argue that I am somehow "right" as opposed to just providing more clarity to what I posted earlier, for whatever that is worth).  I'm not saying Empire was, in and of itself, groundbreaking.  Yes, the elements of what was there were already there in their prior music.  In one sense, it didn't bring anything new to the table in terms of what Queensryche was doing.  But I think that can be said of a lot of bands prior to whatever their "landmark album" is.  They have the seeds of whatever was later to become their signature sound or their landmark album.  But what makes a particular album special or influential oftentimes is where the band reaches a point in their maturity where they are able to take things they have previously experimented with, and perfect it and take it to another level, oftentimes either with mass appeal or special recognition among fellow musicians in a way where others really sit up and take notice.  My point with Empire is that Queensryche did precisely that with that album; they took a lot of elements of what they had previously been doing and found a way to take it to another level, perfect it, and make it appealable to the masses in a way that made what was referred to as "thinking man's metal" an actual thing.  I remember that term being bandied about for the first time in Hit Parader and other magazines at the time in connection with Empire.  So, to kind of summarize, to me, Empire is THE album (again, coupled with Mindcrime, because they used Empire to bring Mindcrime to the masses that had missed it, and that also helped boost the phenomenon) that made "thinking man's metal" an actual phenomenon.  That is why I would put it in the "game changer" category.  I'm fine if people disagree, but just wanted to put this out there.

EDIT:  AL.net ninja'd me on the "Rage"/"Anarchy X" point.  But I typed it first.  :p  And his point on what is "prog" is pretty much where I was going in terms of "thinking man's metal."  "Prog metal" wasn't a "thing" back then.  It just wasn't understood as a genre at that time.  Personally, I don't consider QR as fitting definitively within that genre, but as being one of the primary progenitors of it.  But it is a fine line and I'm not going to be one of those that pounds the table and draws lines over it.  No matter how you look at it, the whole "thinking man's metal" phenomenon is absolutely what grew into what we would later consider as "progressive metal," and QR were at the forefront of it.  So that, again, is where I was going with my second point.  So...yeah, good discussion.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2017, 01:05:10 PM »

I was not aware of that. Has the demo ever been released or leaked to the internet?

Yeah, it's out there.  I just tried to quickly find it, but haven't found it yet (because the searches using the typical terms give you anything they did on the Rage tour).  They played it live, with Geoff on a third guitar.  AL.net probably knows it off the top of his head and will post it before I find it.

EDIT:  found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ_-oHkqfj8
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2017, 01:15:30 PM »
The reason that I went with RFO was that I think that it had a greater effect on the ProgMetal genre as a whole. The approach and layering of the tracks had a bigger effect on the people that came along afterward. The approach and layering of the tracks had a bigger effect on the people that came along afterward. With Mindcrime I don't see as many progressive elements (outside of Anarchy X and Suite Sister Mary).

Interesting that you singled out Anarchy X, since it was originally written as part of the Rage sessions and was, at that point, titled "Rage for Order" rather than Anarchy X.  Not sure if you knew that, but it does sort of support your point in a way you maybe hadn't intended.

Empire is a great album, but it's not a prog album, and I don't see anything on it that someone else had done successfully before. And to expand on that, it didn't signal a shift in the genre, but more of an end to an era.

Okay, but here's where I would say that Empire still fits the bill.  And I'm not arguing a point so much as just expanding on what I previously wrote (in other words, I'm not trying to argue that I am somehow "right" as opposed to just providing more clarity to what I posted earlier, for whatever that is worth).  I'm not saying Empire was, in and of itself, groundbreaking.  Yes, the elements of what was there were already there in their prior music.  In one sense, it didn't bring anything new to the table in terms of what Queensryche was doing.  But I think that can be said of a lot of bands prior to whatever their "landmark album" is.  They have the seeds of whatever was later to become their signature sound or their landmark album.  But what makes a particular album special or influential oftentimes is where the band reaches a point in their maturity where they are able to take things they have previously experimented with, and perfect it and take it to another level, oftentimes either with mass appeal or special recognition among fellow musicians in a way where others really sit up and take notice.  My point with Empire is that Queensryche did precisely that with that album; they took a lot of elements of what they had previously been doing and found a way to take it to another level, perfect it, and make it appealable to the masses in a way that made what was referred to as "thinking man's metal" an actual thing.  I remember that term being bandied about for the first time in Hit Parader and other magazines at the time in connection with Empire.  So, to kind of summarize, to me, Empire is THE album (again, coupled with Mindcrime, because they used Empire to bring Mindcrime to the masses that had missed it, and that also helped boost the phenomenon) that made "thinking man's metal" an actual phenomenon.  That is why I would put it in the "game changer" category.  I'm fine if people disagree, but just wanted to put this out there.

EDIT:  AL.net ninja'd me on the "Rage"/"Anarchy X" point.  But I typed it first.  :p  And his point on what is "prog" is pretty much where I was going in terms of "thinking man's metal."  "Prog metal" wasn't a "thing" back then.  It just wasn't understood as a genre at that time.  Personally, I don't consider QR as fitting definitively within that genre, but as being one of the primary progenitors of it.  But it is a fine line and I'm not going to be one of those that pounds the table and draws lines over it.  No matter how you look at it, the whole "thinking man's metal" phenomenon is absolutely what grew into what we would later consider as "progressive metal," and QR were at the forefront of it.  So that, again, is where I was going with my second point.  So...yeah, good discussion.  :tup

I can't argue against any of the points that you made. In fact, I remember seeing the term "thinking man's metal" being used in some of the guitar mags that I was reading at the time. It's a great description of what was going on with the band at the time. In fact, thinking about that makes me a bit sad considering where the band ended up later. I can easily say that they were probably my favorite band at one point, and enabled me to expand to other music that I might not have been receptive to otherwise.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2017, 01:44:17 PM »
9. Queensryche - Rage for Order

The band's third studio effort, and second full length album. The band at this point would completely alter their sound for each effort, so in a way it's difficult to say that it was a game changer in that regard. However, this is the one that forced everyone else to thing outside the box. Combining synth-pop and heavy metal was probably on nobody else's radar before this album hit.

I would actually list Mindcrime and Empire as Queensryche's co-"game changers."  And not just because those are their two biggest, most successful albums.  In the rearview mirror, we can say Rage was influential and a game-changer now.  But, IMO, that is only because people went back and discovered that album because of Mindcrime and Empire.  Unless I just missed it and was unaware, by and large, the album really wasn't noticed by many at the time it came out.

Mindcrime is influential and "changed the game" at the time it came out for obvious reasons.  Nobody in metal had done anything like it, both in terms of being such a groundbreaking, detailed, and meticulously-penned concept album, and in terms of the things that it did musically.  This album definitely changed the game. 

I list Empire s a "co-game changer" for a couple of reasons.  Independently, it was groundbreaking because it took more complex, intricate, moody, almost-prog metal and made it accessible to the masses.  This hadn't been done before, and, IMO wouldn't really be done on a huge scale until DT really defined prog metal as a genre with Images & Words.  But secondly, I link it inextricably with Mindcrime because Empire brought Mindcrime to the masses.  The band ingeniously used the success of Empire to make Mindcrime the co-focus of the Building Empires tour and was able to fully showcase Mindcrime as I am sure they wish they could have done on the Mindcrime tour, and THAT was truly genre-defining. 

So, there you have it.  I think Queensryche gets two "game changer" albums.

Hmm. I see both points of view. My musician friends all swear up and down how influential Rage for Order was. There was nothing like it, and it inspired a lot of goth musicians, as well as progressive bands. So I'd have to agree with the Rage for Order naming for sure.

That said, bosk1 also makes some good points. While there were certainly awesome concept albums before Operation: Mindcrime, it was (at the time) the first heavy metal (as the term was accepted back then) concept record, and the first to really gain a lot of notoriety in the rock scene overall in quite some time. It sort of bridged that gap between all the 1970s conceptual works, and made one for modern heavy metal. So I think it was a game-changer as well.

As for Empire, I can't argue with bosk1's points, but I don't think mainstreaming that kind of metal sound was a game changer. Lots of bands mainstreamed their sound and still kept their integrity. And that is what Empire was, mostly. It took Queensryche's more heady music and lyrics, got a warmer tone, and made it a bit more accessible while still giving fans enough musicality to set itself apart (mostly) from the pop metal of the era. Songs like Jet City Woman and Another Rainy Night, and Hand on Heart, are all pop, but had JUST enough musicality to straddle the line and pass muster with most fans of their earlier work (it helped that tunes such as Empire and Anybody Listening were on there, which to me are two of the band's best songs).

But a game-changer? Hmm. Not sure I'd agree.

Rage and Mindcrime though? Certainly.

I say this respectfully - as someone who saw the 'ryche as an opening act for Kiss in '84-ish, (The Warning tour), but if Rage is, then wouldn't Empire CERTAINLY be?   When they did "Silent Lucidity" with the orchestra, wasn't that one of the first resurgences of that gimmick (I think Aerosmith was actually before that, but they're different types of bands)?  It was more of a cross over, and was an album that sort of cemented their "prog" roots without being a clone of the album that came before it.  What actually was "game changing" about Rage (as great an album as it is)?   

(As an aside, I think that record is one of the best SOUNDING albums I've ever heard).   

I think that all three of you guys make great points. The reason that I went with RFO was that I think that it had a greater effect on the ProgMetal genre as a whole. The approach and layering of the tracks had a bigger effect on the people that came along afterward. With Mindcrime I don't see as many progressive elements (outside of Anarchy X and Suite Sister Mary). Empire is a great album, but it's not a prog album, and I don't see anything on it that someone else had done successfully before. And to expand on that, it didn't signal a shift in the genre, but more of an end to an era.

The orchestra from those tracks on The Warning were sampled and used on RFO.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2017, 02:30:25 PM »
 BOSTON - Their self titled debut in 1976
 One of the biggest selling debuts of all time. It took the world by storm with the big unique guitar sound, Brad Delp's golden voice and Tom Scholz musical creativity and a stickler for sound.
 I'm surprised Boston doesn't get more love here at DT forums.. :huh:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2017, 08:44:31 PM »
A few more additions (sorry if anyone mentioned these and I missed it):

Talking Heads - Remain in Light
Michael Jackson - Thriller
The Who - Tommy

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2017, 07:29:38 AM »
As for Lucidity -- they had used orchestration for years. Suite Sister Mary, Roads to Madness, etc. Nothing new there, honestly. It was just that the song was so simple, that the orchestra really lifted it.

Yeah, I stand corrected on that (though the specific reference was to the LIVE performance of a metal band with an orchestra).   But I get that they were moving in that direction for a while (and as I noted, Aerosmith beat them to the punch with "Dream On" a year or so earlier).