Poll

What is your favorite VH studio album with Roth on vocals from 1979-2012?

II
2 (5.3%)
Women and Children First
3 (7.9%)
Fair Warning
13 (34.2%)
Diver Down
0 (0%)
18 (47.4%)
A Different Kind of Truth
2 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: July 26, 2022, 06:32:28 PM

Author Topic: Favorite Roth-era Van Halen album (excluding the first album)?  (Read 6858 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Favorite Roth-era Van Halen album (excluding the first album)?
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2017, 04:52:21 AM »
I thought the "hey Ray" thing was a nod to Ray Charles and his song with the same name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQXsM1l2wZ8
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2017, 06:11:27 AM »
Maybe it was.  I took it as Daniels but you may be right Zy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2017, 07:52:45 AM »
I have no issue with Diver Down either - especially viewed in context  (an album thrown together in a matter of weeks after Warner demanded an album to back up the unexpected success of the single).   Secrets , Full Bug and Hang Em High are all classic VH and the covers are all passable - cool to have EVH's dad on Big Bad Bill etc......

I'm sorry but "Little Guitars" rules too.  The only song I don't care for much is "Big Bad Bill". 

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2017, 07:56:40 AM »
Fair Warning, then 1984, then II.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2017, 08:05:20 AM »
I have no issue with Diver Down either - especially viewed in context  (an album thrown together in a matter of weeks after Warner demanded an album to back up the unexpected success of the single).   Secrets , Full Bug and Hang Em High are all classic VH and the covers are all passable - cool to have EVH's dad on Big Bad Bill etc......

I'm sorry but "Little Guitars" rules too.  The only song I don't care for much is "Big Bad Bill".

No need to be sorry  ;D    That was just habit on my part.  Back in the day in my band we played the 3 songs I mentioned .  I was a VH fanatic (my memorabilia fills a room in the house) and everything had to be done right.   I considered getting a "little guitar" made but decided that dropping it from the setlist was easier :lol

Little Guitars is indeed cool too.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline DJ RayKow

« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2017, 09:21:01 AM »
Poor Diver Down, I actually enjoy it quite a bit. Secrets and The Full Bug are indeed great songs, and Hang em High is one of my favorite VH tracks. As overplayed as it may be, I still think their version of Pretty Woman is really good too.

I would agree in that these are my three favorite tracks on Diver Down-I'd even throw "Little Guitars" into the mix. While it's primarily a covers album, they nail those covers and really put the VH spin on them-"WHATGTG?" and "Dancing in the Street" being particularly strong. Like Fair Warning, Diver Down is an underdog record that really evokes a certain feeling in me and always lifts my spirits (I think the airy-poppy production has a lot to do with it). It's a perfect summer album that I feel is more about the overall careless positive vibe vs. being a "hit" record. It's all fun in the sun, baby! It also helps that arguably the greatest Roth-era show (US Festival '83) occurred during the DD era. This era seemed to produce the most pro-shot content (Largo 82, Caracas, and Buenos Aires) so seeing these DD songs performed live really helped me appreciate this record more. I dig it...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2017, 09:58:59 AM »
I listened to both Fair Warning and II last night and I am sticking with my initial though that I like II better.  Not that Fair Warning is bad, it's great, but II I enjoy more.  Light Up The Sky, Dance the Night Away, Bottoms Up, Beautiful Girls are amazing and I enjoy them more than my top four of FW, Mean Streets, Dirty Movies, Unchained, So this is Love.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2017, 10:04:25 AM »
Poor Diver Down, I actually enjoy it quite a bit. Secrets and The Full Bug are indeed great songs, and Hang em High is one of my favorite VH tracks. As overplayed as it may be, I still think their version of Pretty Woman is really good too.

I would agree in that these are my three favorite tracks on Diver Down-I'd even throw "Little Guitars" into the mix. While it's primarily a covers album, they nail those covers and really put the VH spin on them-"WHATGTG?" and "Dancing in the Street" being particularly strong. Like Fair Warning, Diver Down is an underdog record that really evokes a certain feeling in me and always lifts my spirits (I think the airy-poppy production has a lot to do with it). It's a perfect summer album that I feel is more about the overall careless positive vibe vs. being a "hit" record. It's all fun in the sun, baby! It also helps that arguably the greatest Roth-era show (US Festival '83) occurred during the DD era. This era seemed to produce the most pro-shot content (Largo 82, Caracas, and Buenos Aires) so seeing these DD songs performed live really helped me appreciate this record more. I dig it...

I would agree with you that Diver Down has more of that happy, sunny feeling to it. Though that hasn't translated into me really buying into the record, it does give it a certain enjoyable flair. What Diver Down lacks for me are those  :metal moments that I feel are more prevalent on the other VH albums. Perhaps it is just me though...
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2017, 11:02:55 AM »
My 2nd favourite VH might just be Balance. That was a great sounding record.

I had jumped ship by then, and to this day, I have never heard that album.
LISTEN TO IT
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2017, 01:56:16 PM »

No need to be sorry  ;D    That was just habit on my part.  Back in the day in my band we played the 3 songs I mentioned .  I was a VH fanatic (my memorabilia fills a room in the house) and everything had to be done right.   I considered getting a "little guitar" made but decided that dropping it from the setlist was easier :lol

Little Guitars is indeed cool too.

I love Big Bad Will. And Happy Trails. Could This Be Magic. All better than most of the other songs on those albums.  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »

I'm sorry but "Little Guitars" rules too. 

I think that is the best song on Diver Down.  That little groove during the chorus is one of the coolest things AVH has ever played.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2017, 05:47:42 PM »

I'm sorry but "Little Guitars" rules too. 

I think that is the best song on Diver Down.  That little groove during the chorus is one of the coolest things AVH has ever played.

I agree

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2017, 06:02:56 PM »
However, the one AVH moment that is impossible not to air drum is the drum roll in the chorus of Sinner's Swing.  He does this bad ass drum roll in the chorus right after the guitar solo (after the second time they sing the main line).  Right before the 2-minute mark.  :metal :metal

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2017, 06:59:10 PM »
Little Guitars is one of the all time best VH tunes. Also love Hang Em High and Secrets. I think Diver Down is a solid album. Short, but it has a lot of gems. Also the covers are great, VH was always one of the best cover bands.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2017, 07:32:37 PM »
I always thought Alex Van Halen was excellent and extremely underrated.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2017, 07:37:31 PM »
His over reliance on cymbals in the 90s annoyed the crap out of me - see: the chorus of Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do) -  but he is very good.  Not one of the best ever or anything, but certainly an above average rock drummer.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2017, 07:38:43 PM »
Well, if we're just talking the Roth era albums, I enjoyed his drumming immensely.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2017, 08:03:53 PM »
I always thought Alex Van Halen was excellent and extremely underrated.

Yea I think he gets over shadowed by his brother and the singers with their drama, he's very good.

I think Diver Down is a solid album.

Yea, I had said it was easily my least favorite of the bunch, but it's still a solid album.  I actually only have one VH album I think is not so great and that's OU812, but then again I never really listened to III.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2017, 09:33:39 PM »
The worst is probably III, but even that album has its moments. I think Cherone got a bad deal in VH, would've liked to see what they would've done next.

BTW Balance is one of those albums I wish I liked more. It has a great vibe and one of Eddie's best guitar tones. Unfortunately some of the songs are really bad. The first four songs are perfection though.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Art

« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2017, 05:35:43 AM »
III is not so bad.

(runs for cover)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2017, 05:50:57 AM »
III nended a real producer to reign in Eddie a bit. My cousin and I argue about that album all the time.  Then we laugh our asses off talking about doing a podcast on it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2017, 06:36:40 AM »
I liked III a lot when it first came out, but it has not aged well.  I still think Once is a really good tune, and just about every other song has some redeeming qualities, but it just has a clunky feeling overall and some odd melodies.  And having Cherone sing in that raspy tone, which almost made him sound like a Sammy Hagar wannabe, did not help the cause.  The failure of that album and the short-lived Cherone era falls squarely on the shoulders of Edward Van Halen.  At least the show we saw on that tout was great, as it featured a lot of songs from every era (which never happens with the other two singers).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2017, 06:38:22 AM »
But he always sang with some raspy tone.  That's his style. Slightly dirty for his rock voice.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2017, 06:42:25 AM »
But he always sang with some raspy tone.  That's his style. Slightly dirty for his rock voice.

Some, yes. but his raspy tone was the dominant one on VHIII.  I remember playing the CD in my car with a friend who liked VH, but had no idea who Cherone really was, and after a few songs, he was like, "I thought you said this guy was a great singer?"  I retorted, "He normally is; not sure why he's trying so hard to sound like Sammy."  That album just doesn't play to his strengths as a vocalist.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2017, 06:45:30 AM »
He's very diverse.  It just fit with the style of the album which I heard him use plenty times in Extreme. Even live when I saw them in both bands.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2017, 10:32:36 AM »
He definitely sang differently in Van Halen. He was going for a raspier tone in Waiting For the Punchline, but with VH he was using a higher register more to emulate Sammy.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2017, 02:49:35 PM »
I never thought that III was bad, it just wasn't as good as other VH records for various already stated reasons. And the tour was great and you got the best of both worlds with Cherone singing Roth and Hagar tunes. Would've liked to see where it could go if they made another record with Cherone. And raspy singing or not, he was not the reason that III got a bad reputation.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2017, 03:07:24 PM »
I went with Fair Warning, tough I consider that and WaCF somewhat interchangeable. Both stellar albums not too far apart.

And I agree with Mosh. VH1 doesn't when in a route. It'd take away some of the FW and 1984 votes, and it might even win, but it's a good game, I think.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Mosh

« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2017, 03:48:17 PM »
Thing with Van Halen is that they have a fairly diverse set of fans. The guitar fans probably lean toward the first album, but then you have fans who got into them with 1984 and prefer their poppier side. Then Fair Warning and WaCF are both really popular among the hardcore fans. I'd actually be really surprised if VH1 won by more than a slim margin.

I never thought that III was bad, it just wasn't as good as other VH records for various already stated reasons. And the tour was great and you got the best of both worlds with Cherone singing Roth and Hagar tunes. Would've liked to see where it could go if they made another record with Cherone. And raspy singing or not, he was not the reason that III got a bad reputation.
Agreed with all of this. If anything, III is better for having Cherone on it. I actually wish they got to make another album. At least would've been better than the near 15 year drought that occurred after that album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2017, 07:03:31 PM »
I agree that it is a shame that Cherone didn't get a second album, but he had no chance to succeed.  EVH had already gone full tilt into prick mode (he was already phasing Michael Anthony out), and fans didn't want anybody but Hagar or Roth as the singer.  No one could have succeeded as Van Halen's 3rd lead singer.  Hence, the forced reunion with Hagar years later to tour, and then them reuniting with Roth again, even though he and EVH obviously hate each other.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2017, 07:18:23 PM »
At least the show we saw on that tout was great, as it featured a lot of songs from every era (which never happens with the other two singers).

That's pretty cool and I didn't know that.  I'm not sure how anyone else feels, but I really liked Sammy's vocals on the DLR songs from their live albums and seeing it once it person.  Has DLR ever done any Sammy song?  :lol  I'm assuming most wouldn't want him to

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2017, 07:36:48 PM »
Yeah it was a great tour. 

Except that opener Kenny Wayne Sheppard. Boring as all hell.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2017, 07:50:17 PM »
I don't think Roth has ever sang a Van Hagar song live.

And I am not going to give Hagar too much credit for the Roth songs he did, considering it was usually only 2-3 a show (Jump, Panama and maybe one other).

Offline Mosh

« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2017, 07:53:30 PM »
Van Halen act like the Sammy Hagar era never happened. Roth would never sing a VH song he wasn't involved with. Ego is too big for him to admit that they had hits without him in the band.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2017, 08:12:50 PM »
I don't think Roth has ever sang a Van Hagar song live.

And I am not going to give Hagar too much credit for the Roth songs he did, considering it was usually only 2-3 a show (Jump, Panama and maybe one other).

Unchained was awesome with him.  And Mike would sing Somebody Get Me a Doctor which I'd rather Sammy do.