Poll

What is your favorite VH studio album with Roth on vocals from 1979-2012?

II
2 (5.3%)
Women and Children First
3 (7.9%)
Fair Warning
13 (34.2%)
Diver Down
0 (0%)
18 (47.4%)
A Different Kind of Truth
2 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: July 26, 2022, 06:32:28 PM

Author Topic: Favorite Roth-era Van Halen album (excluding the first album)?  (Read 6830 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: Favorite Roth-era Van Halen album (excluding the first album)?
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2017, 09:01:56 AM »
I always had the debut, but never really got into DLR-fronted Van Halen. I got introduced to the band with Sammy, and preferred Sammy (although like I said, I had the debut record). Only in the last few years (when they got back together with DLR), did I buy the rest of the DLR catalog. I was already familiar with the stuff on 1984. Good record, wasn't thrilled with the keys, but good record. The rest of the Roth catalog was just OK to me. Like bosk, it didn't click with me.

To me, Sammy was the voice of Van Halen, and made the band more than just a party metal band. He gave them some serious songwriting. And while the party vibe is always still present, I felt like VH became a bigger and better band with Sammy fronting them. And I still feel that way.

As for answering the original post, I'd say 1984.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2017, 09:20:20 AM »
Add me to the group that prefers Sammy, I ended up voting 1984.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2017, 09:43:32 AM »
Maybe because I had five years of Dave before, but as much as I love Sam (Standing Hampton is one of my favorite records EVER), I kinda dig the party band vibe of the Dave years.  Sam's stuff is good, don't get me wrong (F.U.C.K. and Balance are legendary records on all levels) but there's something just plain FUN about DLR Van Halen.   Put the sunroof down, blast out side one of Fair Warning while you're doing 80 on the highway...   I just don't find myself doing that to "Finish What You Started" or some of the other Sam songs.  I love 'em, but there's a magic to the DLR years for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2017, 09:45:27 AM »
DLR era is definitely more fun, I agree.  I just think Sammy is a better vocalists and 5150 is probably my favorite VH album.  I also didn't start listening to VH until after VHIII so not growing up in the era changes perspective.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2017, 09:46:57 AM »
DLR era is definitely more fun, I agree.  I just think Sammy is a better vocalists and 5150 is probably my favorite VH album.  I also didn't start listening to VH until after VHIII so not growing up in the era changes perspective.

Agree with all of that.  I saw the OU812 tour and the first reunion tour, and while the latter was more "pure fun", the former was a better "musicians" band.  Sam just kills it live day in and day out. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2017, 10:09:29 AM »
I got to catch VH on the Sammy reunion tour and DLR on their latest tour.  It was cool to get to see both sides live.  DLR definitely got the bigger and rowdier crowd which makes sense for the fun part of the music, but the Sammy performance blew DLR away.  Not even close.  I also got to see Sammy solo band before and thought they were fantastic live.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2017, 10:43:19 AM »
IMO, The Full Bug is 95% of the reason to pay any attention to Diver Down.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2017, 11:03:28 AM »
Yeah, DD is easily the worst of this lot. I actually went with ADKOT but WACF is a close second. The main appeal of FW for me is Mean Streets and Unchained, so that probably falls below II and 1984 for me.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2017, 11:50:24 AM »
All VH albums were short with some filler but it Fair Warning for me. 1984 close behind.
I wouldn't class them as a favourite band because of the above reasons but their best of is as good as anyone's.
Fair Warning made my top 50.

My 2nd favourite VH might just be Balance. That was a great sounding record.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2017, 11:51:59 AM »

I had jumped ship by then, and to this day, I have never heard that album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2017, 11:56:40 AM »

I had jumped ship by then, and to this day, I have never heard that album.
Take out the noises between tracks that are supposedly instrumentals and it's their most consistent. Doesn't have the highs of 1984 but certainly the best of the Hagar era for me.

Worth a sample on Spotify Bosk1

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2017, 12:13:39 PM »
Can't Stop Loving You is a fine song from that album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2017, 12:15:05 PM »
Yea, Balance is really good.  I recommend it as well.

Can't Stop Loving You is a fine song from that album.

Yup

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2017, 12:19:49 PM »
Can't Stop Lovin' you is, for me, easily the worst song on the album.  Probably doesn't help that the radio played it INTO THE GROUND at the time.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2017, 12:34:29 PM »
I don't even think of the Sammy records as Van Halen. I really do not like his style with them. There is just something special about the Roth era VH that cannot be duplicated.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2017, 01:35:39 PM »
I would probably have to go Fair Warning. My only gripe with that album is that I don't think it really closes out strong. Saturday Afternoon in the Park and One Foot Out The Door really don't do anything for me.

I really like when albums close strong, which is why VHII might be behind Fair Warning. Women in Love into Beautiful Girls is just a perfect way to close out that album. Unfortunately, that one stumbles a bit in the middle section in my opinion.

Count me as another one who really enjoys Balance. I wasn't old enough to know if Can't Stop Loving You was overplayed or not, so I still enjoy that song to this day.

I would say overall, the songwriting was more mature and refined on the Sammy albums, which may be why I reach for those first. I really enjoy the F.U.C.K. album, and might even rank it as one of the best if it were not let down by some of the atrocious lyrics on there. I know, I am probably crazy for expecting too much out of my Van Halen lyrics. It's interesting - if it were Dave singing some of those lyrics, I probably wouldn't have as much of a problem, but for those songs and the fact that it is Sammy, it just doesn't come across well.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2017, 01:42:30 PM »
I would probably have to go Fair Warning. My only gripe with that album is that I don't think it really closes out strong. Saturday Afternoon in the Park and One Foot Out The Door really don't do anything for me.

I really like when albums close strong, which is why VHII might be behind Fair Warning. Women in Love into Beautiful Girls is just a perfect way to close out that album. Unfortunately, that one stumbles a bit in the middle section in my opinion.

Count me as another one who really enjoys Balance. I wasn't old enough to know if Can't Stop Loving You was overplayed or not, so I still enjoy that song to this day.

I would say overall, the songwriting was more mature and refined on the Sammy albums, which may be why I reach for those first. I really enjoy the F.U.C.K. album, and might even rank it as one of the best if it were not let down by some of the atrocious lyrics on there. I know, I am probably crazy for expecting too much out of my Van Halen lyrics. It's interesting - if it were Dave singing some of those lyrics, I probably wouldn't have as much of a problem, but for those songs and the fact that it is Sammy, it just doesn't come across well.

Agree about the end of Fair Warning.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2017, 01:58:02 PM »

That pretty much nails EXACTLY how I feel about that album, both in terms of music and lyrics.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DJ RayKow

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2017, 02:02:27 PM »
Alright, folks. Lemme get in here. The answer is the 1981 album Fair Warning. Everything from the cover art, to Eddie's dark tones, to their outfits on that tour, to the infamous Oakland Pro-shot show, Fair Warning was THE era of Roth-era Van Halen for me. Although it didn't have as many "hits" as say VH1 or 1984, I think that's what gives it its charm. "Here About It Later", "Sinner's Swing!", "So This is Love?", "Dirty Movies"!? C'MAHN game over, kids. It's an underdog record along with Diver Down (I will defend this record til the day I die). As a collective whole, I feel it's their best effort and one that really conveys a certain feeling and mood that the others don't quite get to for me anyway. There's a certain mystery to the record that still draws me in after all these years. I've been obsessed with this band for years and appreciate every record (yes, even VHIII) for each reason, but if we're talking Roth-era VH, Fair Warning is my choice.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2017, 03:38:07 PM »

Agree about the end of Fair Warning.

I love One Foot Out The Door - quirky song and one of his best solos on the album.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2017, 03:43:54 PM »

Secrets is a good song. Very cool groove going on with it.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2017, 04:00:37 PM »

Secrets is a good song. Very cool groove going on with it.

:metal And another very cool quirky Ed solo.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2017, 06:29:14 PM »
I can't say I am surprised that Roth vs Hagar became part of the conversation here; it's inevitable with any extended VH discussion.  Personally, I go back and forth on which I like better.  Seems like whichever era I am listening to at that moment is the one I prefer.  I think the Roth era had higher highs from an album standpoint (I think the debut and Fair Warning are their two best albums), but the Hagar era was really consistent; all four Sammy records beat the snot out of II or Diver Down. 

Over time, ...Carnal Knowledge hasn't aged as well as the others for me.  To me, it has four killer songs - Poundcake, Judgment Day, Pleasure Dome and Right Now - and then I can take or leave the rest.  Balance, like has been said, is really consistent, although nothing on it is among their best. 

Back to Roth, while I agree with FreezingPoint about Fair Warning not ending strong (the last two songs are solid, but not that great), the first seven songs are all so great that I can forgive the last two songs not kicking as much ass as the rest. 

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2017, 07:40:19 PM »
Poor Diver Down, I actually enjoy it quite a bit. Secrets and The Full Bug are indeed great songs, and Hang em High is one of my favorite VH tracks. As overplayed as it may be, I still think their version of Pretty Woman is really good too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2017, 07:49:22 PM »
I have no issue with Diver Down either - especially viewed in context  (an album thrown together in a matter of weeks after Warner demanded an album to back up the unexpected success of the single).   Secrets , Full Bug and Hang Em High are all classic VH and the covers are all passable - cool to have EVH's dad on Big Bad Bill etc......

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2017, 07:52:35 PM »
Now that you mention it Brent, in the category of "not talked about enough" is The Full Bug. Awesome tune.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2017, 08:16:26 PM »
I don't think Diver Down is a bad album, but it's just kind of there. It has a few throwaway tracks and a handful of solid tunes, but nothing great.  The best songs on Diver Down would be the worst songs on every other Roth album from the early days, except II.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2017, 08:41:52 PM »
Can't Stop Lovin' you is, for me, easily the worst song on the album.  Probably doesn't help that the radio played it INTO THE GROUND at the time.

It also doesn't help that it uses one of the most cliche predictable chord progressions of all time.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2017, 08:46:04 PM »
You take your robotic whore mouth out of here. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2017, 08:49:02 PM »
I lump Can't Stop Lovin' You into the same category as When It's Love. Neither are bad songs, but neither do a lot for me, and I never go out of my way to hear either.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2017, 08:49:22 PM »
You take your robotic whore mouth out of here. :lol

Prove me wrong, king. Prove me wrong!
I don't mind the song, but it's definitely nothing special or unique.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2017, 08:50:56 PM »
The only cringe worthy part of the song is the "Hey Ray" lyric part.

We know how tumultuous it was between Daniels and Hagar.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2017, 11:38:10 PM »
Diver Down is a good, sometimes even very good record, it just isn't as good as a lot of other VH records.

And Roth vs. Sammy, I don't really care, I like both incarnations the same for different reasons and what drew me to them was always Eddie's playing regardless of who is singing. VH1 and FUCK are my favorite VH records and I can't decide which is the better one, it changes on a daily basis.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2017, 11:48:49 PM »
The only cringe worthy part of the song is the "Hey Ray" lyric part.

We know how tumultuous it was between Daniels and Hagar.

Random memory - back in the early days of internet forums ( general rock and VH specific) there was a bloke who used to frequent many of them talking about Van Halen/DLR mostly.  His  forum name was FORD and he used to get into more than his fair share of argy bargy.  Had a habit of calling anyone who disagreed with him a "sheep".  Anyway.......after many years of noticing him around I found out the origin of his name.

Fuck Off Ray Danniels  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2017, 04:44:16 AM »
 :lol