Author Topic: The Matrix Sequels  (Read 11848 times)

Offline PetFish

Re: The Matrix Sequels
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2019, 06:26:14 PM »
The sequels felt very rushed to where it's really no secret they were just trying to cash in.

Except no.  They had the 3-part story all ready to go when they pitched it to the studios (info in the bonus materials).

If they really wanted to cash-in they would have made it like we (I'm guessing most of us) thought it was going to be which was Neo vs Smith and insane fighting and adventures WITHIN the Matrix (think Dr. Strange in the Mirror Dimension).

But they didn't, they went with what they had planned all along which was more philosophical and anti-expectations.  I "got it", and even though I was expecting more Bullet Time and craziness, I applaud them for what they ended up doing.

Anybody already mention that the three scripts for the movies were written before the first movie was filmed? Cause the usual anti-Matrix argument is that they came up with the sequels for money.
Source?  I've never heard or read that.

It's in the bonus content "The Matrix: Revisited" at 10:15-ish.  The executive from the studio said "they came in and said "we have this trilogy" and he said "whoa, let's try and figure out the first one before we get to 3".
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 06:35:51 PM by PetFish »

Offline PetFish

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2019, 12:08:49 AM »
ALSO, when Smith is interrogating Thomas A. Anderson in the little FBI room, The Architect is watching it through one of those tiny monitors he has so we know there's a bigger picture happening and the people that are like "it's obvious they only had one movie and then it was just a cash grab" can shut it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2019, 10:05:01 AM »
Well....I’ll take your guys word for the fact they had a ‘plan’. But for every person who likes the sequels there are two that didn’t. The first movie was such a refreshing change of pace and ‘new’ feel that in my eyes the sequels failed to match.

We’re they bad movies? They weren’t ‘bad’. They told the story and were serviceable to the franchise. But they didn’t come near the level of authenticity that the first movie conveyed. They felt more ‘Hollywood’ which is something that the first one did not.

I personally am looking forward to wha the next film could bring. And  hope it’s more than what the last two did.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2019, 10:10:33 AM »
There was definitely a "plan" and an overall story from the get-go.  But I cannot discount the feeling that the two sequels also feel a bit disjointed from the first film, and my speculation is that the "real" situation is somewhere in between the two "sides."  Something along the lines of:  Yes, there was a definite plan and overall storyline.  But the specifics of the story likely evolved and changes significantly after the first film was finalized and the next two were actually plotted out and shot.  We obviously don't know the extent to which that is true.  But that is just generally how these things work.  Heck, even with established source material for The Lord of the Rings, that still happened to an extent as Peter Jackson & co. were filming the second and third films and deciding how to best present their screen plays.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2020, 09:16:51 PM »
Didn’t know John Wick would be in the new Matrix movie.

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2020, 08:32:54 AM »
And with Jeri Hogarth, to boot!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2020, 09:05:45 AM »
Last thing than Lana wrote and directed was Jupiter Ascending, which I couldn't even make it through and turned off.  So I am praying that Matrix 4 turns out decent. I would truly love to have another decent Matrix movie.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2020, 09:56:08 AM »
So I am praying that Matrix 4 turns out decent. I would truly love to have another decent Matrix movie.

Yeah. I can't even say I'm cautiously optimistic given how let down I was with Matrix 2 and 3. BUT....SENSE8 was pretty darn good on NETFLIX....so, maybe there's a chance Matrix 4 is a nice return to form. I just hope it's not bogged down with the heavy handed political and social stuff they threw into SENSE8. I looked past it in that series because it was a cool enough show and it was a NETFLIX series. Not sure I want to watch a 2-1/2 hour social commentary movie. There's a time and place for those and I'm not sure M4 is it.... I'd just like to see another cool Matrix movie in the vein of M1.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2020, 09:58:39 AM »
Almost no interest in this at all. Did not enjoy 2/3 of the Matrix movies. Did not enjoy really anything the sisters have done since. The characters we see being in this makes no sense thus far to me.

That said, if the trailer comes out and looks great, I'll be more interested. If the movie comes out to good reviews, I'll go see it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2020, 10:23:29 AM »
Anyone see the deepfake where they went the extra mile to blend Office Space and The Matrix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aau8qa3xgFs
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2020, 12:34:52 PM »
I'm way more excited for Matrix 4 than I thought I would be. The original and Cloud Atlas are both among my favorite movies but it's no secret the Wachowskis have been a bit hit or miss. I don't even dislike the sequels that much - on one hand they are nowhere near the original but I would argue they are still enjoyable despite their flaws. Still, considering the franchise has had more misses than hits, I still find myself very giddy about seeing this world again. There's just something about Matrix for me.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2020, 02:37:37 PM »
I love Cloud Atlas and I will defend it to the bitter end! Never saw Jupiter Ascending, but judging from what I've heard, I'm not missing much.

Matrix 1 is obviously the best, but I also enjoyed most of Reloaded and parts of Revolutions. So I'm ready fo Matrix 4 and hopefully they do the series justice.

Online Adami

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2020, 02:43:20 PM »
Oh god I forgot about Cloud Atlas. What utter rubbish.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2020, 03:47:01 PM »
This guy knows what's up.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2020, 03:52:45 PM »
This guy speaks the true true.

I made your post worse.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2020, 03:56:42 PM »
lol wtf

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2020, 03:59:54 PM »
Never saw it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2020, 05:18:42 PM »
Cloud Atlas is approximately 16 hours of my life I will never get back and that's the true true
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2020, 01:25:42 AM »
Cloud Atlas is almost on par with The Matrix for me, I would rate both 5/5. However I think I still would place The Matrix higher on a ranking list because outside both being phenomenal movies I also have some nostalgic memories for The Matrix in terms of first seeing it and how it kinda blew my mind as a kid.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2020, 03:34:05 AM »
Cloud Atlas is almost on par with The Matrix for me, I would rate both 5/5. However I think I still would place The Matrix higher on a ranking list because outside both being phenomenal movies I also have some nostalgic memories for The Matrix in terms of first seeing it and how it kinda blew my mind as a kid.

Yup!

Rest of the guys on this thread can't understand the sheer magnificence of the modern day cinematic masterpiece, that is Cloud Atlas! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Just kidding of course, but a really entertaining movie in my opinion.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2020, 07:07:17 AM »
I didin't mind Cloud Atlas. Made me even want to read the book, and Despite being almost 3 hours, I did make it through the whole thing unlike Jupiter Ascending.

I remember enjoying Speed Racer, even though it was all over the place. And for a way more stripped down and just decent, well made movie by them, Bound was really good. No over the top special effects or action. Just a suspenseful, engaging little drama. They made that before the first Matrix.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 08:07:50 AM by Phoenix87x »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2020, 10:57:07 AM »
I think for me, the only big dud they have is Jupiter Ascending and I still haven't watched it because nothing I have seen from reviews or heard about it has made me want to see it. Yet I know some people argue it's still 'fascinating bad' and not just 'bad'. I feel like even with the Matrix sequels, while they have flaws, and while they don't reach the level of the original, there's still a lot of impressive craft in them and I've had discussions with friends about the sequels for hours about the good and bad (and the choices) and for me that gives them some artistic merit at least. Like they made some ballsy moves and did some choices that didn't necessarily pan out 100%, but the result is still something you can analyze and talk about and that makes the Wachowski's interesting to me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2021, 10:36:13 AM »
Might be a false leak - but apparently The Matrix 4 is called The Matrix Resurrections. Which is the worst title ever. So uninspired.

If you asked me to think of the most obvious title for a Matrix sequel it would have been " Resurrection "  and it reminds me of Alien Resurrection which is the worst one.

Matrix Rebooted would make more sense. It would be a nod to the fact that its a new film made long after the original trilogy AND rebooting the system.

----

As for Jupiter Ascending - the Wachowskis can definitely direct action - but their writing is terrible.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2021, 11:51:49 AM »
I’d have liked to see them explore the first instance of ‘the one’........the one that Morpheus talked about that frees the first of them. So, a prequel.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2021, 11:57:43 AM »
I’d have liked to see them explore the first instance of ‘the one’........the one that Morpheus talked about that frees the first of them. So, a prequel.

Yes. Seraph was supposed to be the first 'one'. As in Seraphim - the highest order of angels. Or something.

Apparently The Merovingian is back too - despite him being completely pointless in the sequels. As were most of the characters.

You could take a scene or two out of Reloaded and put them in Revolutions and the story would lose nothing.

One day my brother and I watched all 3 films without a break and Reloaded is literally just filler. Almost nothing happens of consequence.

--- Take the best moments of Reloaded and Revolutions and the live action scenes from The Matrix game - and you might have a One decent movie.

- oh and Revolutions is clearly better than Reloaded. Never got how it was worse.

Plus we clearly need a Prequel trilogy of how everything started - basically what they did on The Animatrix - but as a movie trilogy.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2021, 12:15:38 PM »
I mean Reloaded has the awesome highway scene, the chateau fight and Neo fighting Smith(s) in the yard. (Okay that last one isn't one of the best but it's kinda fun)
Revolutions doesn't really have anything to rival the highs of Reloaded IMO. Sure it doesn't have that awful rave or the drawn out sex scene but it's way too focused on the real world and too little Matrix IMO.

I still like both sequels even if they're clearly not as good as the original.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2021, 12:20:00 PM »
I much prefer the darker vibe of Revolutions. Bane as Smith was cool. The Zion fight was pretty good and the final Smith VS Neo fight was better than

the one in Reloaded by far. Even if it was pretty inconsequential as all Neo had to do was give up. Plus no Virus Twins. :)

Offline PetFish

« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2021, 03:11:33 PM »
How about:

The M4trix:  C0NTr0L-aLt-D3L3T3