Author Topic: TV Advice Needed  (Read 2764 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
TV Advice Needed
« on: February 28, 2017, 09:48:04 AM »
Long story short.....my three year constant pestering/nagging my wife about 'letting' me get a large (60"-65") TV for our living room has paid off and she's relented. I have a pretty nice expense check coming for all the travel I recently did for a project, and I 'get' to use some of it on getting a new TV.

I have about an $850-$900 budget and would like to get a 60"-65" High Def TV...even a 4k AND a soundbar. I've found a couple online at SAMS, Best Buy and what not which all have good to decent reviews....but I find myself indecisive because I'm scared I'm going to choose a 'lemon' based off the fact I can't spend $1,500 on the REALLY nice name brands.

At the moment this one is intriguing to me from Hisense and it comes with a standard 4 year factory warranty.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/hisense-65-4k-smart-4hdmi-wifi/prod20610275.ip?xid=plp11810111-elec:product:1:3

There is also this one from Sharp that I like, and being that we have a 50" Sharp that has been nothing but great it's a contender as well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sharp-LC-60N6200U-60-4K-Ultra-HD-2160p-60Hz-LED-Smart-HDTV-4K-x-2K/50855550

As far as sound bars...I plan to spend $100-$150 on one and just figure a sound bar is a sound bar....right?

Any advice/experiences/suggestions would be appreciate as I don't get to 'waste' this type of $$ often and would like to make it count.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: TV Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 09:55:13 AM »
Get a Vizio at Costco. Even if you aren't a member, buy a basic membership and it will still be cheaper than anywhere else. Plus, you get a no questions asked, two year electronics warranty through them in addition to the manufacturer's warranty.

60" 4K - $800
https://www.costco.com/.product.100309723.html

Some people will talk Vizio down. I've owned six and currently have three in my house. No complaints with any of them. I can't recommend them enough.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 09:56:19 AM »
DO NOT get a sound bar.  They are garbage.  Save a bit and get a decent 5-channel receiver/speaker set.  The issue is that you basically NEED a sound system with the new TV's because their speakers are garbage.  But ever since the DVD revolution, there has been this movement to layer what some would consider to be WAY too much sound in the background, in terms of effects, score, etc., which drowns out dialog.  Sound bars do not fix this problem.  You need at least a 5 channel because, on a 5-channel system, the dialog resides mostly in the front center channel, which you can slightly boost while slightly lowering the other channels.  I can almost guarantee you will not be happy with a sound bar, other than the fact that it will be louder and slightly clearer than the TV speakers.  Within a couple of months, you will be asking yourself why you bought it and trying to unload it on some unsuspecting fool on Craigslist.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:31:53 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 10:00:54 AM »
Get a Vizio at Costco. Even if you aren't a member, buy a basic membership and it will still be cheaper than anywhere else. Plus, you get a no questions asked, two year electronics warranty through them in addition to the manufacturer's warranty.

60" 4K - $800

Some people will talk Vizio down. I've owned six and currently have three in my house. No complaints with any of them. I can't recommend them enough.

is the Chrome Cast a pain or is it reliable? I was worried about that aspect of the Vizio's?

DO NOT get a sound bar.  They are garbage.  Save a bit and get a decent 5-channel receiver/speaker set.  The issue is that you basically NEED a sound system with the new TV's because their speakers are garbage.  But ever since the DVD revolution, there has been this movement to layer what some would consider to be WAY too much sound in the background, in terms of effects, score, etc., which drowns out dialog.  Sound bars do not fix this problem.  You need at least a 5 channel because, on a 5-channel system, the dialog resides mostly in the front center channel, which you can slightly boost while slightly lowering the other channels.  I can almost guarantee you will not be happy with a sound bar, other than the fact that it will be louder and slightly clearer than the TV speakers.

Great...something else to think about  :lol    but seriously, thanks for that heads up.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 10:02:57 AM »
Samsung smart TVs are the way to go.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 10:05:49 AM »

60" 4K - $800

is the Chrome Cast a pain or is it reliable? I was worried about that aspect of the Vizio's?

I can't speak to the Chromecast, but two of my three have an Amazon Firestick and they work fine. I run an old laptop to my biggest one in the living room with an HDMI cable, and I leave a wireless keyboard with a track pad in the coffee table. If I ever need to mirror anything like that to the TV, it's a piece of cake. But honestly, I haven't done that since I stopped torrenting. Anything I need on a TV is available through all the apps on the Firesticks or my PS4.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 10:07:48 AM »

60" 4K - $800

I can't speak to the Chromecast, but two of my three have an Amazon Firestick and they work fine. I run an old laptop to my biggest one in the living room with an HDMI cable, and I leave a wireless keyboard with a track pad in the coffee table. If I ever need to mirror anything like that to the TV, it's a piece of cake. But honestly, I haven't done that since I stopped torrenting. Anything I need on a TV is available through all the apps on the Firesticks or my PS4.

I was confused on if since these Visio's have this Chromecast if that was the ONLY way you could view APPs or if the Firestick would still work, because we use the Firestick as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 10:12:45 AM »
Firestick should work on any TV with the right input for it.

I agree with bosky, stay away from soundbars.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 10:32:51 AM »
I personally don't like soundbars either, but got to consider your budget.  A cheap soundbar is going to be less expensive and easier to install than a 5 speaker sound system and still sound much better than the TV speakers.  If your budget it 900, you might not have room for a better sound system than a sound bar.  Having said that, I refuse to buy soundbars personally.  I have a 5 speaker system in my basement that was cheap (Samsung on sale for $200 at target a few years ago) and is still way better than a soundbar (you can get them around $100).

And since you are not going to be getting the best of the best, a Vizio should be fine.  I personally like Samsung, but I've heard good things about Vizios (besides the fact they spy on you https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/business/vizio-television-vizio-collected-viewers-habits-consent.html?_r=0  :lol ).

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 10:33:29 AM »

60" 4K - $800

I was confused on if since these Visio's have this Chromecast if that was the ONLY way you could view APPs or if the Firestick would still work, because we use the Firestick as well.

Oh, no. Chromecast plugs in via an HDMI port, just like the fire sticks. You select the input for the firestick just as you would a video game console or Blu Ray player. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 10:38:23 AM »
People get lemons regardless of which brand they choose. Plenty of people take their Panasonic out of the box to find it doesn't work. It's rare for any modern manufacturer, but it happens and those are the people most likely to get on Amazon and shit all over the product. Long term dependability is what matters, but it's also much harder to predict. What it comes down to is whether the manufacturer spends 3˘ on each capacitor rather than 2˘. The quality of the solder they use. The amount of Styrofoam they put in the box during shipping. All things you can't really predict or investigate. Your top tier brands are going to do everything right. Your knock-offs are going to cheap out on some of the little stuff. That was always the knock against Vizio. However, in the end you're probably going to get your usage out of it until it's time for the next upgrade, regardless of which one you choose. In 4 years you'll be clamoring for a 16k TV or something. It's just like cars. All the manufacturers need to do is make sure it outlasts joy of ownership.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 10:42:38 AM »
^ true.  TVs don't last like they used to. Well they may, I was told my TV should last 20 years easily, but I think it's more likely that you upgrade before then to ever realize the end of life of your TV now.  Also TVs are getting cheaper overall so it's just becoming another commodity you use and toss and upgrade, not something you hold onto for 20 years like my TV as a child.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 11:00:21 AM »
DO NOT get a sound bar.

Quoted for truth.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 01:20:14 PM »
This
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 01:23:24 PM »
I have a Vizio.  No problems.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 01:47:22 PM »
Appreciate all the feedback    :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 02:00:35 PM »
Gary, here's just another little anecdote, for what it's worth:  We didn't have ANY kind of hi-def TV until just a few years ago.  We bought right when the 3D TV's had been out for a bit, and the curved screens had just come out and were all the rage.  We bought a "plain old" 55" Panasonic LED hi-def from Costco.  It wasn't top of the line by any stretch.  But we have never looked back.  Prior to getting it, I was just itching to get a new TV.  I could see a HUGE difference between what we had and what was out there.  But since getting it, I haven't had even the slightest inkling to replace it and upgrade.  Yeah, I can see differences between what we have now and some of the top of the line stuff.  But the difference is relatively insignificant, and I wouldn't really notice unless I was consciously trying to.  I guess where I'm trying to get to is that I wouldn't worry about spending $1500 on something more "high end."  You should be able to find something nice in that range.  As was already said, I cannot recommend Costco enough simply because you will get a good product and they will stand behind it if something goes wrong.  You WILL need to do something about the sound, but that can wait until you can save a bit more and know what you want.  Not to mention the fact that your wife will fall in love with the picture on the new set, but will hate the sound, and that will eventually boil over and she will practically BEG you to do something about it.  If you go over budget now, she will be mad.  But if you let her make you buy a sound system later on, everybody wins.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 02:03:58 PM »
Gary, here's just another little anecdote, for what it's worth:  We didn't have ANY kind of hi-def TV until just a few years ago.  We bought right when the 3D TV's had been out for a bit, and the curved screens had just come out and were all the rage.  We bought a "plain old" 55" Panasonic LED hi-def from Costco.  It wasn't top of the line by any stretch.  But we have never looked back.  Prior to getting it, I was just itching to get a new TV.  I could see a HUGE difference between what we had and what was out there.  But since getting it, I haven't had even the slightest inkling to replace it and upgrade.  Yeah, I can see differences between what we have now and some of the top of the line stuff.  But the difference is relatively insignificant, and I wouldn't really notice unless I was consciously trying to.  I guess where I'm trying to get to is that I wouldn't worry about spending $1500 on something more "high end."  You should be able to find something nice in that range.  As was already said, I cannot recommend Costco enough simply because you will get a good product and they will stand behind it if something goes wrong. You WILL need to do something about the sound, but that can wait until you can save a bit more and know what you want.  Not to mention the fact that your wife will fall in love with the picture on the new set, but will hate the sound, and that will eventually boil over and she will practically BEG you to do something about it. If you go over budget now, she will be mad.  But if you let her make you buy a sound system later on, everybody wins.

Perhaps you should purposely adjust the audio settings so they sound extra shitty  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 02:10:14 PM »
Gary, here's just another little anecdote, for what it's worth:  We didn't have ANY kind of hi-def TV until just a few years ago.  We bought right when the 3D TV's had been out for a bit, and the curved screens had just come out and were all the rage.  We bought a "plain old" 55" Panasonic LED hi-def from Costco.  It wasn't top of the line by any stretch.  But we have never looked back.  Prior to getting it, I was just itching to get a new TV.  I could see a HUGE difference between what we had and what was out there.  But since getting it, I haven't had even the slightest inkling to replace it and upgrade.  Yeah, I can see differences between what we have now and some of the top of the line stuff.  But the difference is relatively insignificant, and I wouldn't really notice unless I was consciously trying to.  I guess where I'm trying to get to is that I wouldn't worry about spending $1500 on something more "high end."  You should be able to find something nice in that range.  As was already said, I cannot recommend Costco enough simply because you will get a good product and they will stand behind it if something goes wrong.  You WILL need to do something about the sound, but that can wait until you can save a bit more and know what you want.  Not to mention the fact that your wife will fall in love with the picture on the new set, but will hate the sound, and that will eventually boil over and she will practically BEG you to do something about it.  If you go over budget now, she will be mad.  But if you let her make you buy a sound system later on, everybody wins.

This is so true. I'm trying not to get swept away by 4K and all the bells and whistles. We've had (2) "regular" HD TVs for years and they've been more than adequate. I'm trying not to spend $900 just 'because I can'....i also want to be practical.

Again....these are all great responses with 'real world' fuel behind them so i do appreciate you all taking the time to chime in.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 02:37:08 PM »
Until most TV is broadcasted in 4k, I wouldn't consider it.  Now a 4k monitor for a PC I would consider.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 03:19:09 PM »
Until most TV is broadcasted in 4k, I wouldn't consider it.
I agree.

Except for when I go in stores that are displaying 4K TVs.  Then I want one.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 04:58:43 PM »
Women will never understand Hef.

Btw, the LED TV's these days are amazing. Not sure the pricing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 05:53:56 PM »
When you say 'regular' HDTVs....what size?

This is what we purchased 4+ years ago
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-55-class-54-6-diag--led-1080p-with-chromecast-built-in-hdtv-black/4807300.p?skuId=4807300

We love it, except.....when using the home stereo, the sound is a full second 'late'.  Bought a gizmo to help that out, but it is still 'off' by a fraction.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2017, 09:05:07 PM »
Talking about wives, my wife watches a lot of TV - most of it reality shows - but she is oblivious to the sound. I have a $500 receiver plus $2000 worth of 5.1 speakers, and it the sound came out of the TV, she wouldn't know the difference. She only notices the sound quality when we watch action movies.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 10:12:43 PM »
Audio is pretty much the only reason I EVER go to a movie theater anymore. I've never had a good home setup.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2017, 10:31:16 PM »
I'm just gonna join the Vizio dogpile and say how much I love mine. I've had mine for 3.5 years and it's never fucked up once.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 02:12:41 AM »
I forced myself to buy a Vizio and miss my LG. Unfortunately the ex got the TV so I liken my Vizio experience to my divorce, both with pros and cons. Bottom line - Vizio is what you get after the wife takes the good stuff. I hope this helps.  ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 06:55:40 AM »
Talking about wives, my wife watches a lot of TV - most of it reality shows - but she is oblivious to the sound. I have a $500 receiver plus $2000 worth of 5.1 speakers, and it the sound came out of the TV, she wouldn't know the difference. She only notices the sound quality when we watch action movies.
I feel you.  Every time I talk to my wife about anything technical regarding TVs/film/blurays/resolution her eyes glaze over.

She understands that there are differences, they just aren't important to her.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2017, 07:03:31 AM »
Just want to chime in to say that you should absolutely treat audio and video separately. Get the TV for the video, and as I believe Bosk initially suggested, get a receiver with 5.1+ speakers to handle the audio. No reason to spend wasted money on a sound bar or go with TV sound. In either case you'll have amazing video marred by terrible audio.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2017, 07:04:59 AM »
My two cents:  TVs are like any other electronic device; you have to decide the features you want and buy accordingly.  In your price range (which is mine too, if it matters) you won't get the top-of-the-line in everything, so you decide.  Vizio consistently gets lauded for it's picture, and that's what matters most to me.  I run my sound through a Denon 7.1 system, so I don't even care if it HAS speakers.   I rarely use the "smart" functions (I have a PS3 hooked up, and will soon have a PS4, as well as a Firestick) so that's not something I'm spending a lot of time on researching.

For me, Vizio fits the bill nicely; I can get more TV - more picture - for my dollar.

Stay away from sound bars.   I don't quite get the benefit from them other than a little volume.   Even my wife and daughters - who will gladly sit and watch Zak Bagans or Dancing With The C-List Stars on SD in mono - have commented that the 5.1 is awesome to have.

For $900, you can't really do both - big screen and 5.1 system - but you can get an awesome TV (Chino was right:  Costco, or if you prefer, BJs runs some good specials too) and later watch Best Buy and pick up a decent Denon for a couple hundred bucks.   

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2017, 08:50:05 AM »
I'd like to add, that even though I agreed with staying away from sound bars, I have test driven a couple that sounded quite nice: Klipsch G-42 and Denon HEOS. Both sounded pretty full, but could still benefit from having a sub-woofer, and for that you need an audio receiver. The Klipsch had the added benefit of being able to be used as a center channel speaker if you upgrade later to a full 5.1 or 7.1 system.

The big problem with these high end sound bars is that they cost as much as the TV you are considering buying! That's halfway to a quality "surround in a box" system that most of us are far happier with.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2017, 10:32:50 AM »
I feel you.  Every time I talk to my wife about anything technical regarding TVs/film/blurays/resolution her eyes glaze over.

Most females I have known have never cared for sound quality.  However the girl Ive been seeing definitely likes my sound system better than the TV speakers.  It's a noticeable difference but it's rare, to me, that a female would not only just notice but also care for that difference.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2017, 10:48:37 AM »

Most females I have known have never cared for sound quality.  However the girl Ive been seeing definitely likes my sound system better than the TV speakers.  It's a noticeable difference but it's rare, to me, that a female would not only just notice but also care for that difference.

For those that care, Cram refers to his penis as his "sound system" and his testicles as "his speakers".    Odd, I know, but you'll have to ask him. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2017, 10:54:41 AM »
Do females typically like the speakers over the system?  :lol  That would be new to me

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2017, 11:01:34 AM »
Do females typically like the speakers over the system?  :lol  That would be new to me

There's someone for everyone.  (Though one day Howard Stern was saying something similar - basically that "balls" were gross and unnecessary and ruined the presentation for females - and some woman called up and said just that:  she enjoys the "speakers".)

(And don't kill my joke.  It was funny in my head!  :) :) :)).