Author Topic: The DTF P/R Food discussion club v. Ketchup on steak is tremendous  (Read 1970 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
Re: The DTF P/R Food discussion club v. Ketchup on steak is tremendous
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2017, 09:49:46 AM »
Just another P/R thread with a bunch of wining going on.

:neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2017, 09:51:44 AM »
Do they still make kitchen foil out of tin?  I thought it was all aluminum these days.

It is, but if you look hard enough you can still find the stuff with tin, which is much more effective at blocking the government from reading your mind.
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
This is my favorite PR thread ever.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2017, 11:18:43 AM »
This is my favorite PR thread ever.

It might be the most constructive one ever.
Thankee-sai

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2017, 11:20:43 AM »
Wine is garbage, I cannot stand it at all. Yet I like grape juice, and brandy. Go figure.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Looks like Fish, tastes like chicken
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2017, 11:22:51 AM »
Wine is garbage,

Wine is fine.

But whiskey's quicker.

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2017, 11:32:34 AM »
As a vegetarian who doesn't drink, I feel so left out.

Quick! Someone cater to my minority status!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2017, 11:37:02 AM »
I'm not a fan of wine. I can tolerate white, but red is just like drinking perfume. With whiskey, I want to like it so much, but I just can't get into the taste. Like even having a sip of blue label, the taste was clear, and there was 0 alcohol burn. That's awesome. But the flavor is just something I can't get into.

But getting into condiment discourse here. So fries and ketchup (or ketchup in general) is mostly an American thing. Most other places from what I've heard use mayonnaise. With some spices, I totally get this. Like going to get a cheeky Nandos with the lads and getting the chips and mayo is so good. But just plain mayo? One that really struck me was mayo on hotdogs. Why? You can barely even taste it? Why would you put a salty condiment on a salty meat? My friend Italy says the opposite. She says that's exactly why they do it. She asks, "why would you put something sweet on salty?" That's a flavor combination that apparently they don't do there. (Also yes, I know. Ketchup on a hotdog is a sin, mustard is better, I agree.)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2017, 11:40:39 AM »
Ketchup on a hot dog is fine.  The ballpark Nazis that give you hell for doing it can go piss up a rope.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2017, 11:53:20 AM »
No u

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2017, 11:55:01 AM »
Ketchup on a hot dog is fine.  The ballpark Nazis that give you hell for doing it can go piss up a rope.
If you're just talking about crappy Oscar Mayer wieners then you need a helluva lot more than ketchup or mustard. You're gonna need kraut or chili to make it passable. If you've got a real sausage on there then ketchup is pretty ugly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2017, 11:57:57 AM »
Just saw this thread and wanted to  :rollin at ketchup with steak.  While well done is not my thing, I don't think that's as outrageous as ketchup on a steak. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2017, 12:13:36 PM »
Nope.  No ketchup on hot dogs, or any other meat for that matter.

Mustard.

Ketchup is for french fries.  Although I prefer ranch for fries, or other non-ketchup sauces when I can get them.

But never mayo.  Mayo is not for french fries.  Mayo is for sandwiches and for making meat salads (chicken, tuna, lobster, whatever).

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2017, 12:16:48 PM »
They love the mayo with fries in Europe.  Not my cup of tea either.  I think Ketchup mixed with mustard on a normal hot dog can work, but not with like a sausage.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2017, 12:27:59 PM »
Mayo is a weird substance. Why is it so beneficial to things like sandwiches and meat salads, yet so disgusting as a dipping condiment?

Ketchup and mustard (and relish) for weeny weiners, as Barto said, not on a sausage, bratwurst or anything of the like. Same thing with hamburgers. Ok for your neighbor's cheapy backyard BBQ burgers, though I generally prefer an A1 or BBQ sauce, depending on the type and quality of meat.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2017, 12:29:16 PM »
On the rare occasion that I have a veggie burger, I often dip it in ketchup.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2017, 12:32:34 PM »
If I'm gonna eat lips and assholes, I'm going to fucking well put ketchup on it.  AND mustard.  And onions and chili and nacho cheese and sauerkraut and I'm gonna top it all off with a dollop of I don't give a damn.  A high end steak isn't lips and assholes.  Don't put ketchup on it.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2017, 12:54:13 PM »
Mayo is a weird substance. Why is it so beneficial to things like sandwiches and meat salads, yet so disgusting as a dipping condiment?

Ketchup and mustard (and relish) for weeny weiners, as Barto said, not on a sausage, bratwurst or anything of the like. Same thing with hamburgers. Ok for your neighbor's cheapy backyard BBQ burgers, though I generally prefer an A1 or BBQ sauce, depending on the type and quality of meat.
Mayo's fine on a burger. It adds a neutral moistness (I don't do tomatoes, so something else is needed). I usually go stone ground mustard on the bottom and mayo on the top. You want the juice from the burger soaking into the mustard half.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2017, 12:59:46 PM »
Ok ok, I'm here to give the right answer....

Podaar was closest, the proper side to a high end steak (prime grade, wagyu, Certified Angus, or the equivalent) is a high end Cabernet or Zinfandel, and nothing else. Starches like mashers or bakers will only mess up the fats of the steak on the palate and fuck up the experience. Have a salad before, a good chocolate dessert after, but for the steak just have an appropriate butter (bone marrow butter is killer) or a good demi glace.

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.

This is making me hungry for dinner at one of my favorite restaurants. A nice 10oz filet (medium rare) served with a dollop of already melting garlic butter on top and a nice brandy peppercorn sauce on the side. That plus a glass of cab puts me in my happy place.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2017, 01:27:04 PM »

Mayo's fine on a burger. It adds a neutral moistness (I don't do tomatoes, so something else is needed). I usually go stone ground mustard on the bottom and mayo on the top. You want the juice from the burger soaking into the mustard half.
Same here.

We should have burgers and beers some time.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2017, 01:27:49 PM »
We need to have a DTF food meetup some day.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2017, 01:42:44 PM »
That would be fantastic.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2017, 01:52:41 PM »
Having a meal cooked by lonestar himself is still on my bucketlist.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2017, 02:25:06 PM »
If I'm gonna eat lips and assholes, I'm going to fucking well put ketchup on it.  AND mustard.  And onions and chili and nacho cheese and sauerkraut and I'm gonna top it all off with a dollop of I don't give a damn.  A high end steak isn't lips and assholes.  Don't put ketchup on it.

:rollin   man... spit water on my laptop reading that!  :lol

I've got to agree with the chef's and other alums here with their opinions regarding the moo cow... my personal favorite prep is to let it come to room temp (usually 20-minutes or so), give it a good shot of Kosher Salt and another 5 minute rest, sear it crusty and get the internal temp to 120 or so, and serve it with home-made french boule (my wife is an artist when it comes to breads and dough) and grilled asparagus (with lemon and a little kosher salt).

I've also got to agree with Chocolate after for desert; a nice dark chocolate (85% or higher).

... and a DTF meal meet up should happen, maybe this year since I&W is turning 25 and I'd wager the majority of us were introduced to the band with I&W.  (to Hef... sorry I missed out on the NC show... work's been nuts the past few months, which is a good thing).
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2017, 03:21:51 PM »
(to Hef... sorry I missed out on the NC show... work's been nuts the past few months, which is a good thing).
No worries, pal.   :tup

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2017, 06:14:41 PM »
You can all come to England for a BBQ.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2017, 06:20:29 PM »

And then you all can come to NJ for fish n chips  :lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2017, 07:33:08 PM »
Nope.  No ketchup on hot dogs, or any other meat for that matter.

Mustard.

Ketchup is for french fries.  Although I prefer ranch for fries, or other non-ketchup sauces when I can get them.

But never mayo.  Mayo is not for french fries.  Mayo is for sandwiches and for making meat salads (chicken, tuna, lobster, whatever).

I tend to use mayo to combine with other condiments to make various fry dipping sauces but I'll agree that for as much as I love mayo it's a no go as a solo dip.

As far as dipping sauces my new go to is buttermilk ranch and honey mustard. Sure my blood slows to a crawl and my heart starts to seize but damn are my taste buds satisfied.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2017, 07:49:54 PM »
The local liberal weekly rag hired one of your country mates to be the BBQ critic for a year a while back. They figured he'd provide a unique perspective and he wanted to learn the craft and make connections with the goal of returning to London to run a proper Texas BBW place. Don't know if he did or how it might have worked out. Nifty idea, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2017, 07:57:58 PM »
run a proper Texas BBW place

Easy, Barto. This is a food thread.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2017, 08:12:18 PM »
run a proper Texas BBW place

Easy, Barto. This is a food thread.
Nah, I only meant proper because that's what he was evaluating and it seems to be emulated a bit. I wasn't trying to disparage other regional BBQs as being grossly improper, although I'd be happy to because it is.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2017, 08:32:32 PM »
 :rollin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2017, 08:32:05 AM »
lol Barto missed the joke

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2017, 08:32:29 AM »

See I love this, because I agree that you have to think through the construction as well as the taste.  I do the same thing; make sure the juice from the meat soaks in nicely.  I do the mayo/mustard thing too (though I will do that mayo/ketchup/mustard thing I mentioned above as well) as well as a good cheese (though I do like AMerican as well) and some sautéed onions.  PERFECT burger at that point. 

Now, here's the thing:  do you season the meat for your burger?  I will do a mix:  ground beef (not more than 93/7; you need some fat for flavor and juice) and I'll add a squirt of olive oil, a diced clove of garlic, salt, pepper, and a dollop of spicy mustard and Worcestershire sauce.   I know many purists just want "meat", but ground beef isn't steak, and sometimes can be bland.