Author Topic: The DTF P/R Food discussion club v. Ketchup on steak is tremendous  (Read 4103 times)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Re: The DTF P/R Food discussion club v. Ketchup on steak is tremendous
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 03:52:15 PM »
Yeah, once again, I'm with Barto.  Sorry for painting with a broad brush, but of all the wonderful things the British Isles have brought to the world, culinary advice doesn't even make the list. 

Says the man from the country whose contribution to gastronomy is plastic cheese and condensed milk.

Sorry, mate, but judgement was passed when you first chimed in with the burnt, ketchup laden steak.

I never made any apologies for burning the steak.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2017, 03:53:02 PM »
I think at a steak restaurant mashed potatoes are going to be the ticket. Not only are they good in their own right, but they soak up the juice from the steak and improve greatly. Baked potatoes always just seemed like little more than a vehicle for eating cheese and bacon. Au gratin, now that's a quality side, but rarely as good as it should be. Fries are always good, but don't really add anything to the experience. Fondantes might actually be my favorite potato dish, but I've never seen them show up at a steakhouse (or anywhere else, for that matter).

edit: and yeah, Arby's curly fries cry out for some horsey sauce.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2017, 03:54:20 PM »
This thread is grossing me out.

Ketchup on fries.
Nothing on steak.

Can we get back to arguing? ;D

I actually prefer mayonnaise on fries.  It's amazing.

Or if its curly fries, then horseradish.  Arbys knows what it's doing.
I'm good with horseradish.  I go through brief phases with mayo, but while yummy, I quickly get overwhelmed by the richness/fattiness of it.

I could put hoseradish on just about anything.  I get it from my dad.  My dad buys it by the (large) jar and its gone in two weeks.  He jokes that he could make an ice cream cone out of it.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2017, 03:55:14 PM »
My Grandfather made horseradish sauce that could double as an industrial strength cleaner, which put me off it for good.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2017, 03:56:29 PM »
My Grandfather made horseradish sauce that could double as an industrial strength cleaner, which put me off it for good.

That would probably do the opposite to me.  I love hot & spicy.  To a degree of ridiculousness.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2017, 03:57:16 PM »
Hot and spicy is fine. Caustic is not.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2017, 03:58:02 PM »
Yeah, once again, I'm with Barto.  Sorry for painting with a broad brush, but of all the wonderful things the British Isles have brought to the world, culinary advice doesn't even make the list. 

Says the man from the country that invented plastic cheese.

I'm not sure what you are referring to specifically, but if you are talking about either American cheese or Cheese Whiz, I make no excuse for those culinary sins.  (I'm still convinced that the only reason we ended up with that as "American" cheese is because the U.S. got to pick second to last, only in front of the Swiss, and our choices that late in the draft were severely limited)  But that doesn't mean we don't know how to do it up right when it comes to food in general.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2017, 04:12:08 PM »
So, "Swiss Cheese" is the Mr. Irrelevant of the Cheese World?

I agree with EB on baked potatoes. If you want a really good one, it is going to include butter, sour cream, chives, bacon bits, and eventually is going to take on being a whole meal in and of itself. Though I do like a good one with my steak, as I can create a little A1 pond on my plate for both to dip their feet in to.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jsbru

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2017, 04:22:08 PM »

I agree with EB on baked potatoes. If you want a really good one, it is going to include butter, sour cream, chives, bacon bits, and eventually is going to take on being a whole meal in and of itself. Though I do like a good one with my steak, as I can create a little A1 pond on my plate for both to dip their feet in to.

I agree on the baked potatos.  I have a "method," and I stick by it every time.  I flatten out the potato with a fork--completely flat covering the whole plate, like a pizza dough.  Then I do butter, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder, throw it back in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the butter and spread it around, if it isn't hot enough already.  Then I add a layer of cheese, back in the microwave again for 30 seconds, so it's melted like a potato pizza.

Then I put on the sour cream, spread evenly over the top, and sprinkle the bacon bits over it (they stick to the sour cream).  Then I sprinkle more salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder over the top, along with chives and/or parsley if I have them.

It's so good.  That's usually enough for a meal in and of itself.  If I'm extra hungry, I'll make a can of soup, too.  Really cheap way to make a great meal.  Unless you use half a container of bacon bits, like I usually do.  :D

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Looks like Fish, tastes like chicken
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2017, 04:23:11 PM »
Au gratin, now that's a quality side, but rarely as good as it should be.

A small portion of Fleming's Potatoes with a high quality, seared, medium rare steak is the proper answer. Ketchup should not even be available in the entire restaurant.

Online XeRocks81

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2017, 04:25:15 PM »
So sad.  All this intolerance of ketchup is why the democrats lost, you all get that right?   :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2017, 04:29:37 PM »
A baked potato only needs butter. Lots of butter.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2017, 04:35:49 PM »
So sad.  All this intolerance of ketchup is why the democrats lost, you all get that right?   :biggrin:

It's a cause worth fighting for. Civilization hangs in the balance.

May I also recommend a lovely 14 Hands Cabernet with that?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 04:45:39 PM by Podaar »

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »
Ketchup has a place. It's what makes bad fries edible. For almost every other purpose there's a better alternative, though. And since you're from a land that puts a mysterious "brown sauce" on your fries I'm not sure why I'm even defending us.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2017, 05:24:57 PM »
Ok ok, I'm here to give the right answer....

Podaar was closest, the proper side to a high end steak (prime grade, wagyu, Certified Angus, or the equivalent) is a high end Cabernet or Zinfandel, and nothing else. Starches like mashers or bakers will only mess up the fats of the steak on the palate and fuck up the experience. Have a salad before, a good chocolate dessert after, but for the steak just have an appropriate butter (bone marrow butter is killer) or a good demi glace.

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2017, 05:42:56 PM »
 :hefdaddy

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2017, 05:43:35 PM »
But the potatoes sop up all of the steak juice, and that mixed with butter is my demi glace, whatever the hell that is. And I'll leave the salad and wine for my wife thankyouverymuch.
Chocolate cake though? Hell yes!

Twitler? That's funny.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2017, 08:35:37 PM »
:lol
[Trump likes Hunt's Ketchup, Trump hates pierogies, Trump moved my parking chair]
As a former Pittsburgh resident, I greatly appreciate this picture, Chino. :lol

Offline lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2017, 08:55:53 PM »
But the potatoes sop up all of the steak juice, and that mixed with butter is my demi glace, whatever the hell that is.

That's fine for normal steaks (what you find in most restaurants or stores, USDA choice and such), but the one that Mango Mussolini is having cooked well done is probably $50 a pound restaurant cost. It must be eaten properly to really capture the experience. Respect the ingredients man....

(a demi glace is a veal stock reduced with port wine and shallots to a thick sauce, pure liquid love man)

Online PowerSlave

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2017, 06:11:33 AM »
Twitler

Mango Mussolini

An acquaintance on FB calls the President, "Cheeto Benito" which I find quite funny. I'm not a big fan of that sort of ad hominem but people are pretty clever with the names these days.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2017, 06:17:34 AM »

Podaar was closest, the proper side to a high end steak (prime grade, wagyu, Certified Angus, or the equivalent) is a high end Cabernet or Zinfandel, and nothing else. Starches like mashers or bakers will only mess up the fats of the steak on the palate and fuck up the experience. Have a salad before, a good chocolate dessert after, but for the steak just have an appropriate butter (bone marrow butter is killer) or a good demi glace.

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.

I'm happy to see yet another chef recommending Zinfandel. I remember, for years, being looked down on by waiters for my love of Zins. If it wasn't a Cab, Merlot, or Pinot Noir then you were just a wine swiller.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2017, 07:40:47 AM »

That would probably do the opposite to me.  I love hot & spicy.  To a degree of ridiculousness.

Nothing beats a fresh oyster with a dollop of horseradish on top and a drop or two of Tabasco.  I'm a philistine, though, in that I like my oysters on a cracker.   Not a dealbreaker, but a preference. 

Count me in with el barto on steak fries and sides, though I'm partial to a good baked potato; I make mine by washing the skin, rubbing olive oil all over it, salt and pepper on the oil, then UNWRAPPED in a 350 oven for about an hour, hour fifteen.   Yum, and I eat the whole thing, skin and all.  I like sautéed onions and spinach in a garlic and oil with my steak - slightly pink in the center, though it depends on the cut; I prefer strip steaks - as well.  Steaks are washed in light olive oil, salt and pepper, that's it.  If the cut isn't great, I MIGHT put a small pat of butter on the meat as I put it on the grill, but you have to be careful when you flip it as it could overly char the meat.   No ketchup within 15 feet of my plate at that point. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2017, 07:47:33 AM »

I agree on the baked potatos.  I have a "method," and I stick by it every time.  I flatten out the potato with a fork--completely flat covering the whole plate, like a pizza dough.  Then I do butter, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder, throw it back in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the butter and spread it around, if it isn't hot enough already.  Then I add a layer of cheese, back in the microwave again for 30 seconds, so it's melted like a potato pizza.

Then I put on the sour cream, spread evenly over the top, and sprinkle the bacon bits over it (they stick to the sour cream).  Then I sprinkle more salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder over the top, along with chives and/or parsley if I have them.

It's so good.  That's usually enough for a meal in and of itself.  If I'm extra hungry, I'll make a can of soup, too.  Really cheap way to make a great meal.  Unless you use half a container of bacon bits, like I usually do.  :D

Slight variation, but sometimes I will take small red potatoes, par boil them, then put them on a cookie sheet.  Take a rocks glass and "smash" them down, breaking the skin.     Drizzle olive oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic, and your favorite cheese (I use parmesan, sometimes if I have it, grated Piave) and bake until brown.  You can soup it up; I don't always, but sometimes I make them "Simon and Garfunkel Style" (any guesses what that is?) but the potatoes come out very tender. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2017, 07:50:53 AM »

I'm happy to see yet another chef recommending Zinfandel. I remember, for years, being looked down on by waiters for my love of Zins. If it wasn't a Cab, Merlot, or Pinot Noir then you were just a wine swiller.

What's the groups take on wines?  I've been to several food tastings (every cruise I do something like that, and end up with at least two more Riedel glasses, it seems) so I get the notion of pairings, but I find I very rarely drink whites.  I don't like them too sweet or too tart, and it's too easy to fall in those categories.  So I tend to drink reds, even when I'm not supposed to.  Usually cabs (the 14 Hands Cab mentioned here is good value for money). 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2017, 08:06:36 AM »
I'm a big fan of wines, but I'm a bit skeptical about pairings. There seems to be a great deal of magical thinking involved and flavor notes are so subjective that rarely anyone can agree on them unless they are spoon fed the wine's character in advance.

Like you, I tend to stick with reds that I like (Zinfandel and Cab) and rarely drink white wine. I do enjoy an autumn Riesling on occasion as an after meal "dessert wine."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2017, 08:07:52 AM »
All wine is shit. All of it.

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2017, 08:09:16 AM »
Twitler

Mango Mussolini

An acquaintance on FB calls the President, "Cheeto Benito" which I find quite funny. I'm not a big fan of that sort of ad hominem but people are pretty clever with the names these days.

Despite being in my mid 40's, I can be fairly juvenile with my sense of humor at times. Stuff like this usually cracks me up unless its over the top with its racism ect
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2017, 08:12:33 AM »
Most of the chefs I work with are hearty wine and beer snobs, we have good access to the best wines, and it's an integral part of the culture. Obviously I don't partake in wine anymore, but in my drinking days I pretty much stuck to hearty reds, never really dug whites either. I usually only went to wine for event drinking, casual drinking(every day lol) I stuck with beer and Jagermeister, it just got the job done quicker.

Stadler, you'd probably enjoy our cocktail sauce, we make it in house by fermenting fresh tomatoes and fresh horseradish. Stuff gets your attention real quick.

I'm a big fan of wines, but I'm a bit skeptical about pairings. There seems to be a great deal of magical thinking involved and flavor notes are so subjective that rarely anyone can agree on them unless they are spoon fed the wine's character in advance.

Pairings are for the chefs, not the customers. It's our chance to show off how awesome we are. There are some things that just naturally pair (red and beef, white and fish) just cause of how well they accent each other (try a cab and chocolate, my personal favorite pairing).  About eight years back I did a tequila dinner once, man did those people get hammered after five courses.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2017, 08:17:59 AM »

Slight variation, but sometimes I will take small red potatoes, par boil them, then put them on a cookie sheet.  Take a rocks glass and "smash" them down, breaking the skin.     Drizzle olive oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic, and your favorite cheese (I use parmesan, sometimes if I have it, grated Piave) and bake until brown.  You can soup it up; I don't always, but sometimes I make them "Simon and Garfunkel Style" (any guesses what that is?) but the potatoes come out very tender.
After you pop them with the rocks glass, try putting them in a non-stick pot, covering them about 1/2 with stock and a couple of tablespoons of butter. Let the liquid cook off so that they eventually brown in the leftover butterfat and stock solids. That's Jacques Pepin's mere's recipe, and if it's good enough for her. . .

And I rarely drink red wine, but with a steak I'm partial to syrah (fuck those Aussies and the shiraz).
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2017, 08:41:37 AM »
I like baked potatoes with my steaks, but I only use butter and salt.  But I don't want salt on the outside skin, at all.  I eat the whole thing, skin and all.

My wife tried "baking" the potatoes, wrapped in tin foil, in a crock pot (I forget how long it took.  4 hours, maybe?), and they were completely wonderful. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2017, 08:46:32 AM »
Do they still make kitchen foil out of tin?  I thought it was all aluminum these days.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2017, 08:47:27 AM »
Coated in oil and rock salt is the only way to make the skins edible, IMO. Still, not the best way to cook a spud, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2017, 08:55:48 AM »
Twitler

Mango Mussolini

I used to like Twitler, but now I prefer Chief Kompromat.  I have a feeling that will become relevant just as soon as Republicans have him sign a bunch of bills to suit their agenda.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2017, 09:02:41 AM »
Do they still make kitchen foil out of tin?  I thought it was all aluminum these days.
Oh, you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.