Author Topic: The DTF P/R Food discussion club v. Ketchup on steak is tremendous  (Read 2396 times)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: The DTF P/R Food discussion club v. Ketchup on steak is tremendous
« Reply #175 on: March 03, 2017, 10:17:09 AM »
Here's a proper taco my friend...

Raw onions, cilantro, salsa, and a lime wedge are the only condiments needed.

This right here is that good shit.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: March 03, 2017, 10:23:08 AM »

I'd split that with you.  There's a local place here that is authentic (more or less) latin food, and their tacos look a lot like that (and are DELICIOUS).

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #177 on: March 03, 2017, 10:26:30 AM »
So before I left for the banquet side of the hotel, in our restaurant we always had 4" tortillas and jalapenos on line even though they weren't anywhere on the menu. If you want to keep a staff of Mexicans and Salvadorean cooks happy, these items are a must.

Not to mention, it's really nice taking the scrap from a whole ribeye and using it for tacos. :RJ:
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #178 on: March 03, 2017, 10:32:15 AM »

I'd split that with you.  There's a local place here that is authentic (more or less) latin food, and their tacos look a lot like that (and are DELICIOUS).

I like a good american taco but it's hard to even think of it as the same type of food. Sublime.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Looks like Fish, tastes like chicken
« Reply #179 on: March 03, 2017, 10:34:16 AM »
What do y'all think of the hipster, new age, gourmet taqueria's popping up?

There's a local restaurant that has duck confit tacos and, I kid you not, grilled pear-roasted beet tacos with spinach, blue cheese and balsamic syrup. I really enjoy them as a change of pace once in awhile.

[edit] In fact, I found their menu online http://taqueria27.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/T27-Full-Menu.pdf [/edit]

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #180 on: March 03, 2017, 10:38:46 AM »
I'm sure it tastes fantastic, but it seems like gilding the lily, or goldplating the toilet.

Tacos are basically street food, every day common food.  If they get too fancy, they kind of lose their identity.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Looks like Fish, tastes like chicken
« Reply #181 on: March 03, 2017, 10:47:23 AM »
Agreed. When I crave Mexican food, I go to the authentic immigrant hole-in-the-wall. Still, once in a while the place is really fun. And yes, the food is excellent and surprisingly low priced.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #182 on: March 03, 2017, 10:48:27 AM »

There's a local restaurant that has duck confit tacos and, I kid you not, grilled pear-roasted beet tacos with spinach, blue cheese and balsamic syrup. I really enjoy them as a change of pace once in awhile.

[edit] In fact, I found their menu online http://taqueria27.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/T27-Full-Menu.pdf [/edit]

I'm sure it tastes fantastic, but it seems like gilding the lily, or goldplating the toilet.

Tacos are basically street food, every day common food.  If they get too fancy, they kind of lose their identity.

Hef, I get you.  But what Podaar posted sounds fantastic, and I have no issue with it at all.  I'm all for "authentic."  But food evolves, and when it does, the results can be spectacular all on their own.  I've had some of these more "gourmet tacos," and while I consider them very different from the authentic street food that are...for lack of a better term, "real tacos," they are equally as delicious.  As an example, there are two places within walking distance from my office that serve "Korean tacos," which are "tacos" made with Korean spiced meat, like braised short rib, Korean spiced chicken, etc. and gochujang.  I kind of chuckle at calling them "tacos."  ...except that, no matter what you call them, that's the best description because that's basically what they are.  And, no matter what you call them, they are amazing.  I don't consider them "Mexican."  But I consider them awesome.  So...yeah.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #183 on: March 03, 2017, 10:53:52 AM »
I've had a sushi taco from my local sushi joint, fantastic.  I don't think I've been to a place similar to what Podaar suggested, but that sounds like it could be delicious.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #185 on: March 03, 2017, 11:19:57 AM »
So I went to the new grilled cheese place in town, instead.  Greek marinated pork loin in a grilled cheese of feta, double longhorn, onion, and tomato, with a side of tzatziki.  Bitchin'.

Oh, and to stay on topic, Trump still sucks at ordering steak, regardless of what anyone says.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #186 on: March 03, 2017, 12:03:40 PM »
There used to be a grilled cheese place by my old office.  They didn't last long, unfortunately.  Too bad.  They were amazing.  :(
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: March 03, 2017, 12:18:36 PM »
I also got the cream of tomato soup.  It was velvety, almost like a vegetable-y tomato sauce.  Way better than any I've ever had.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #188 on: March 03, 2017, 12:59:09 PM »
I've never been big on tomato soup.  Not sure why, but just never really cared for it.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: March 03, 2017, 01:24:09 PM »
Me either. This however, was awesome.

Offline lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #190 on: March 03, 2017, 02:21:43 PM »
Thanks guys....You inspired me to head to my local Mexican joint for lunch and get a chile relleno burrito. So good.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: March 03, 2017, 03:02:13 PM »
I hope you were wearing a tuxedo for all that fancy shit. Remember, use the utensils from the outside in.

Offline lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2017, 06:06:22 PM »
Psh...I'm so high class, I can wear metal shirts in high class joints and still look like I belong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2017, 09:01:34 PM »
Psh...I'm so high class, I can wear metal shirts in high class joints and still look like I belong.

:metal :metal

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #194 on: March 04, 2017, 07:27:04 AM »

I'm OK with it as long as I'm not paying out the ass for something I know costs pennies to make. When it comes to common food like tacos there is a fine line between paying for slightly more gourmet toppings and "OK, the restaurant owners are being assholes".

This thread reminds me that I need to make carnitas again.

Online kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #195 on: March 04, 2017, 07:50:51 AM »
In the chat thread this caused a bit of an uproar.   A taco pizza.  Some were not thrilled but my taste buds were.

“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: March 04, 2017, 02:40:52 PM »
In the chat thread this caused a bit of an uproar.   A taco pizza.  Some were not thrilled but my taste buds were.

There was a late night pizza joint in Center City Philly (you know, the kind of place that sells slices at 2:00 am to the drunks walking home) that sold a taco pizza that for what it was, was pretty damn good.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: March 04, 2017, 07:53:34 PM »
There's nothing wrong with taco pizza. It's terrible leftover, and it's nothing like "real" tacos, but it's still tasty.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #198 on: March 06, 2017, 05:54:56 PM »
Late to the party, but lettuce has a place on an American taco if it's well balanced with the cheese and onions. The reason TB doesn't get it right is because they use[d] cheese that disappears and no onions. If they grated the cheese thicker I think they'd probably have it right. For reasons I've never understood Dairy Queen always made the best fast food tacos and a big part of it was because of the cheese/lettuce/onion proportions.

Since I almost never eat fast food I pretty much only eat the Mexican variety, like what Lonestar posted anymore. I enjoy both, though. Proper al pastor cooked on a trompo is a wonderful thing. The one area I differ with him is that grilled onions rock. A good DF style quesadilla and tres tacos is one damn fine lunch in my book. And don't forget the green sauce.

And on the subject of American-Mexican vs Mexican, the quesadilla is one area where our Southern neighbors beat us soundly. Whoever convinced Americans that a pound of cheese between two flour tortillas is a quesadilla really did us a grave disservice.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #199 on: March 06, 2017, 06:01:42 PM »
The best tacos are definitely al Pastor, with cilantro, onions, cheese, sour cream, and some super spicy salsa.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2017, 06:12:40 PM »
The best tacos are definitely al Pastor, with cilantro, onions, cheese, sour cream, and some super spicy salsa.
I was right there with you until the cheese and sour cream. As much as I love taqueria green sauce, if the meat is good anything else is merely subtraction by addition. I leave the sauce for the quesadillas and tortas.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2017, 06:19:31 PM »
Cheesy quesadillas are delish, similar to a grilled cheese in my mind.  Simple and nothing mind blowing, but almost always yummy.  I had a steak burrito for lunch, also filled with rice, avocado, corn, and cheese with a ranchero sauce along the side.  Very good minus some of the steak was burnt.  Probably should have went chimichanga on that if I had known the steak would be cooked so well.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2017, 06:45:03 PM »
Cheesy quesadillas are delish, similar to a grilled cheese in my mind.  Simple and nothing mind blowing, but almost always yummy.  I had a steak burrito for lunch, also filled with rice, avocado, corn, and cheese with a ranchero sauce along the side.  Very good minus some of the steak was burnt.  Probably should have went chimichanga on that if I had known the steak would be cooked so well.
Next time you're down here and not hungover I'll hook you up with some real Mexican food. At this point I think we're doing better at proper Mexican than California is.

That said, I do like me a chimichanga from time to time. Even if each one does take 2 weeks off of your life.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2017, 06:47:24 PM »
For hard shell tacos, lettuce is purely for structural integrity. Place it on the bottom, and the juices from the meat do not infiltrate the shell and make it more susceptible to breakage.

AS far as Taco Bell goes, they basically ruined me for regular hard shell tacos. Thanks to their Double Decker(?) I have to have my hard shell taco enclosed in a soft tortilla. The flour and corn combo is bliss, and if the shell breaks, you have no loss of ingredients.

Also, not sure if they have it anymore, but the burritos that had Fritos in it was divine.

Note, as I am in WA state, despite our high Mexican population, we are far away from Mexico, so are content with our Mexican food tasting nothing like actual Mexican food. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2017, 07:40:16 PM »
Next time you're down here and not hungover I'll hook you up with some real Mexican food. At this point I think we're doing better at proper Mexican than California is.

That said, I do like me a chimichanga from time to time. Even if each one does take 2 weeks off of your life.

Yea I'd definitely be down for that, I actually don't think I ate any Mexican food while I was in Texas.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2017, 07:50:27 PM »
Hold the onions please. Yuck!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #206 on: March 06, 2017, 08:50:59 PM »
At this point I think we're doing better at proper Mexican than California is.

I would love to take part in that taste test... but tbh, the Mexican food I'm used to is just that, Mexican food. Fresh over the border immigrants making their food. Doesn't get more proper than that. And most of the restaurants and roach coaches are owned and manned by Mexicans cooking their cuisine.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #207 on: March 07, 2017, 12:25:09 AM »

My friend started a rock band in Austin about 10 years back (yeah, yeah...), and I went to visit him over Memorial Day weekend.  He used to brag about how good the Mexican was there, so before I left, I challenged him to a 3-day taco eating contest.  He backed out when I got there, and I was pretty disappointed.  So instead, I decided to challenge myself by eating my age in tacos.  At that point, I was 27.  Some of those were breakfast tacos, and some were post-midnight tacos from Whattaburger.  I made it a thing that my 27th taco had to be a Choco Taco for dessert, but we couldn't find one at any gas station we went to on my way to the airport, so I had to wolf down a regular taco at the airport food court just before my plane left.  So, needless to say, I got my fair share of Texas's Mexican.

We also went to Salt Lick on that same weekend.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #208 on: March 07, 2017, 09:20:39 AM »
yum Whattaburger.  Another good fast food burger joint I don't have at home.  Had In-N-Out this weekend.  We need these in NJ instead of the burger kings.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #209 on: March 07, 2017, 11:01:18 AM »
yum Whattaburger.  Another good fast food burger joint I don't have at home.  Had In-N-Out this weekend.  We need these in NJ instead of the burger kings.
Whattaburger is a good fast food burger. In n out is terrible. I think it gets by on reputation more than anything else.
E.F. Benson