Author Topic: The DTF P/R Food discussion club v. Ketchup on steak is tremendous  (Read 3506 times)

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
Re: The DTF P/R Food discussion club v. Ketchup on steak is tremendous
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2017, 08:45:22 AM »
...as well as a good cheese (though I do like AMerican as well)

Despite all the grief American cheese gets, it's great on a burger, a melt, or grilled cheese.  When I make a baked mac & cheese, I also use a layer between the mac and the top crust.  Beyond that, its utility is extremely limited, but you shouldn't have to apologize for using it in its proper applications.

Now, here's the thing:  do you season the meat for your burger? 

Who doesn't?  Even McDonald's gets this and does a basic seasoning of salt and pepper while grilling (or at least, they used to).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2017, 08:46:12 AM »
I always season meat.

(God, that sounds lewd in some way though I know not how.)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2017, 08:47:24 AM »
Yep, all meat should be seasoned.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2017, 08:50:08 AM »
I always season meat.

(God, that sounds lewd in some way though I know not how.)

Hey, even John Petrucci fessed up to rubbing his chicken before smoking it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2017, 08:54:19 AM »
Thank you for the reminder, bosk.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2017, 08:57:24 AM »
...as well as a good cheese (though I do like AMerican as well)

Despite all the grief American cheese gets, it's great on a burger, a melt, or grilled cheese.  When I make a baked mac & cheese, I also use a layer between the mac and the top crust.  Beyond that, its utility is extremely limited, but you shouldn't have to apologize for using it in its proper applications.

Now, here's the thing:  do you season the meat for your burger? 

Who doesn't?  Even McDonald's gets this and does a basic seasoning of salt and pepper while grilling (or at least, they used to).

My bad; I meant "beyond salt and pepper".  That's my fault; it's such a given for me that I consider "salt and pepper" essentially naked.   

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2017, 09:12:12 AM »
Oh, okay.  Yeah, when we cook at home, we definitely do (I mean, unless it is a big party where volume is key and we are just cranking out store-bought pucks on the grill to get people fed).  What we put in any given time depends.  But usually something along these lines:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAx553k7W5s

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2017, 10:12:57 AM »
I love Bubba Burgers.  And I go ketchup and spicy mustard with lettuce tomatos and pickles.  I'd throw onions, grilled or not, on as well, but I don't typically prepare onions if I am just grilling a burger for myself.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2017, 11:06:22 AM »
I usually saute the onions (and shrooms in my case) in the grease leftover from the obligatory bacon. Cheese is normally whatever I have around, but if I have to buy it I'll usually get thick cut slices of Havarti from the deli. 93/7 is the leanest beef I'll use. Often times it's 85/15. I've decided that 1/3 lb is the proper weight. A quarter is insufficient and a half is too much. As for seasoning, salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Mix it all on a plate and then throw the shaped patties onto it to rest.  While I'm certainly keen to experiment, that's about the ideal combination in my book.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2017, 11:16:10 AM »
It was meant as a joke - when I got divorced I started to teach myself how to cook, and would ask her to prepare the menus - but my daughter got me a "Bob's Burgers" cookbook, and there are a lot of interesting combinations in there that I am keen to try. 

I also will sometimes put a little cheese INSIDE the burger for my stepson (who is nine) who is a very finicky eater.  Just like Kiss uses bombs and fireworks to overshadow the music, sometimes I need melty cheese inside to attract his interest.  (Though - and true story - I made him tacos one night and I ALWAYS put sautéed diced onions, salt and pepper in as I cook the meat.  As he is eating his tacos and telling me how great they are, he says "just don't go and change it.  Don't put any flavors or onions or anything in there!  Just meat, cheese and shell!"  Okay, kiddo.  You got it.  Will do.)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2017, 11:24:30 AM »
 :lol Tacos are better with the onions sautéed in the meat anyway

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2017, 11:41:27 AM »
To me, almost ANYTHING is better with sautéed onions.  I use them more than any other vegetable, by far.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2017, 12:02:06 PM »
I usually saute the onions (and shrooms in my case) in the grease leftover from the obligatory bacon.

Skimming to quickly.  I thought you said you "salute" the onions and shrooms in the bacon grease.  I was thinking, "well, who WOULDN'T?"  :lol

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2017, 12:06:44 PM »
I'm not a fan of onions, so I take a knee instead of saluting.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2017, 12:08:44 PM »
I'm not a fan of onions, so I take a knee instead of saluting.

boycotting all your future cookouts until this selfish behavior stops.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2017, 12:17:40 PM »
My favorite burger, which I have posted about before, is this one:

Dad’s burger*  -- 1.2 lb patty encrusted with chopped honey hardwood smoked bacon and crumbled bleu cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion, Aleppo chili spread, artisan bun. *Dad says this burger cannot be cooked well done.

But that doesn't really give the picture.  What they do is, they slap a ring mold on the grill, and first throw in the mixture of chopped bacon and bleu cheese on the bottom, straight on the grill.  Then the patty goes on top of that and gets pressed down onto the bacon/bleu cheese.  So what you get is this amazing crust of seared bacon and bleu cheese on the bottom of your medium rare (ONLY way to do this particular burger) burger.  I have them melt a slice of cheddar over it as well.  And add a side of their bleu cheese habanero oil fries.  To die for...

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2017, 12:40:06 PM »
It was meant as a joke - when I got divorced I started to teach myself how to cook, and would ask her to prepare the menus - but my daughter got me a "Bob's Burgers" cookbook, and there are a lot of interesting combinations in there that I am keen to try. 

I also will sometimes put a little cheese INSIDE the burger for my stepson (who is nine) who is a very finicky eater.  Just like Kiss uses bombs and fireworks to overshadow the music, sometimes I need melty cheese inside to attract his interest.  (Though - and true story - I made him tacos one night and I ALWAYS put sautéed diced onions, salt and pepper in as I cook the meat.  As he is eating his tacos and telling me how great they are, he says "just don't go and change it.  Don't put any flavors or onions or anything in there!  Just meat, cheese and shell!"  Okay, kiddo.  You got it.  Will do.)

I honestly have no idea what sort of tacos y'all are talking about.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2017, 12:45:54 PM »

My homemade beef tacos, for me at least.  Typically I don't find onions sauteed in the meat when I buy tacos. 

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2017, 12:51:58 PM »

My homemade beef tacos, for me at least.  Typically I don't find onions sauteed in the meat when I buy tacos.
Ground beef with various spices including cayenne, chili powder and 2 or 3 shit-tons of cumin? That was certainly my first assumption, but Stadler's description had nothing but salt, pepper and onions, leading me to think that maybe he's got more of a fajita thing going on. Ground beef in a taco without the Southwestern seasonings sounds pretty awful.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2017, 12:57:06 PM »
I don't know, it's kind of hard to go wrong on tacos IMO even if it's not traditional, but I am no cook and typically just use a taco seasoning packet and then add my own stuff like onions and jalapenos into the pan.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2017, 12:58:29 PM »
I love Bubba Burgers. 

Bubba Burgers are what I use for our grilling parties when I need to make a lot of them. Inexpensive, quick, and everyone loves them.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2017, 02:09:59 PM »

Ground beef with various spices including cayenne, chili powder and 2 or 3 shit-tons of cumin? That was certainly my first assumption, but Stadler's description had nothing but salt, pepper and onions, leading me to think that maybe he's got more of a fajita thing going on. Ground beef in a taco without the Southwestern seasonings sounds pretty awful.

Ah, but el Barto is a step ahead.  I sauté the onions in olive oil, salt and pepper for a minute or so.  Add the beef and brown it.   Sometimes I drain the grease, sometimes I don't, but I add a pre-mixed "taco flavoring" (like you'd find in Ortega kits, but a little better and more natural) at the end.  So it has a taco flavoring, but as far as the kid knows, it's "taco flavored meat". 

Offline jsbru

« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2017, 11:58:49 PM »
It's hard for me to think of a meat that doesn't get fried in onions with me.  Obviously, bacon doesn't need it, but not much else.

I spice the shit out of everything.  I even have 5 spices that I put on every frozen pizza: garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and an Italian seasoning mix (I suppose that technically makes it more than 5).  Honestly, adding these 5 spices makes you forget you're eating a frozen pizza.

I can't eat canned soup without adding pepper, garlic, and usually some red pepper.  I also have about 10 spices I put in when I make beans and wieners: seasoned salt, black pepper, minced garlic, chopped onions, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika, mustard seed, cayenne pepper, and some cilantro flakes right at the end.  I know that seems like overkill for beans and wieners, but it makes it taste fantastic.  And it's of course so cheap to make.

If I'm making it myself from scratch, it even gets more stuff.  My stir frys get crazy.  My favorite is lamb stir fry with usually 4 types of peppers: green and red for veggies and flavor, Serrano peppers (my favorite) for both flavor and heat, and Thai finger-hots for heat.  Then of course plenty of cumin and I have some oriental curry powder I pinch in.  Also, plenty of garlic, onions, black pepper, a pinch of ginger, pinch of mustard seed, and soy sauce.  A good trick for stir fry to thicken the broth is, right at the end when you've got the flavor perfect, to stir up some corn starch in hot water and slowly pour it in while stirring.  Mix it up good.  It won't look like it's working right away, but take it off the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes, and now your runny, watery sauce has turned into a thick, flavorful gravy.  Especially if you didn't drain off too much of the lamb fat.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2017, 06:43:35 AM »
I love lamb. 

Talking about pizza, my local Big Y sells prepackaged dough; it's actually easier and quicker to make my own than get delivery.   Only problem is you have to plan ahead; the dough needs to stay out most of the day to be room temperature, so it's not like a rubber band, and you need to have your toppings.

Roll it out in some flour, either par bake it or put your stuff on (depending what you're using for toppings), then a hot (500 degrees) oven for ten minutes, and you're good to go.   The flour makes a holy mess, but other than that, you get the apizza you want, when you want. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2017, 08:45:24 AM »
I'm a fan of DiGiorno.  A bit on the pricey end for frozen pizza, but it's better quality and still much cheaper than ordering delivery.  They have pepperoni pizza with garlic bread crust yummmy

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2017, 10:40:18 AM »
Once or twice a year I'll make a big pot of spaghetti sauce, and invariably I wind up making pizza with some of it. That's about the only time I ever make pizza myself. But with good, fresh sauce loaded with hot Italian sausage it works out pretty damned well.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2017, 10:45:21 AM »
I do that too.  Every fall I go to the local "U Pick'em" farm and get 10 or 20 pounds of "seconds" tomatoes and make a sauce to freeze.  I'm still tweaking the recipe, but it's getting better each time, and I'm at the point that the fam likes mine better than the jar. It's a lot of work, though, and it's messy.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2017, 10:48:22 AM »
Making your own pasta sauce is gr8. It can be easy and quick, too, depending on the type. I started doing it like a year ago, never using a jar again.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2017, 10:50:33 AM »
From the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council:

Don't use ketchup on your hot dog after the age of 18

Fuck you., NHDSC.  I may need to fabricate a reason to go to Sheetz just so I can order some hot dogs and ask for extra ketchup.  Then when they give me my order ask for ketchup packets.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2017, 11:01:00 AM »
Sheetz, fuck yea.  I love that, way better than Wawa or Quickcheck here in NJ.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »
Wawawawat the fuck were they thinking trying to outdo Sheetz?  Not gonna happen.  Their hotdogs are awesome.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2017, 11:15:42 AM »
You know what I like at Sheetz?

The Frozen Hot Chocolate.  Mmmmmmm
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2017, 11:19:25 AM »
You know what I like at Sheetz?

Everything.

Their coffee is better than most convenience store coffee.  And it's 10000000000000x better than Charbucks.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Looks like Fish, tastes like chicken
« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2017, 11:39:06 AM »
I do that too.  Every fall I go to the local "U Pick'em" farm and get 10 or 20 pounds of "seconds" tomatoes and make a sauce to freeze.  I'm still tweaking the recipe, but it's getting better each time, and I'm at the point that the fam likes mine better than the jar. It's a lot of work, though, and it's messy.

I do this as well, except that I grow my own Romas in the back yard. I've been fairly pleased with my recipe for a few years but only recently discovered the importance of cooking down the sauce with a peeled carrot in the pot. In my small batch tests it made all the difference in reducing the acidity.

I've got the sprouts going in my garden window and I'm looking forward to planting in a month or so.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Looks like Fish, tastes like chicken
« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2017, 11:39:53 AM »
Wawawawat

Great name for a band, right there.