Author Topic: Favorite albums for each season  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Favorite albums for each season
« on: February 28, 2017, 08:07:35 AM »
Do you have some albums you listen to more often or exclusively in specific season? It happens to me a lot, especially in last few years because I started listening to more genres than before. For example, black metal is almost exclusively my winter music.
You can list few albums you listen more often in one season than in others, or just the albums that remind you of specific time of the year.

Spring - my indie season; maybe it's because I started listening to it in Spring few years ago, I don't know :P
The Smiths - Queen is Dead, Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, The Antlers - Hospice

Summer - more often than in other seasons I listen to plain simple heavy music; slightly windy but hot days always remind me of Gojira because the day was like that when I saw them opening for Mastodon and Slayer (first metal show I ever attended)
Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage, Mastodon - Once More 'round the Sun (listened to it a lot that summer it came out and saw them supporting it in summer a year later)

Fall - nothing specific really but there are few albums I like to listen to when it rains and Fall is the season when it rains a lot here :P
Elliott Smith - Either/Or, Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Winter - as I said, Winter is my dark/black metal season for obvious reasons
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain, Woods of Ypres - Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Favorite albums for each season
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 08:14:15 AM »
Spring brings March and St Patrick and the chance to listen to irish folk / rock bands.

Summer brings me to my beloved mountains so it's folk metal again, songs to listen in the woods. Or if I go to the sea, I make a point of having Therion's cover of Seawinds and the Davy Jones theme from Pirates of the Caribbean on the mp3 player.

Autumn works fine with more melanchonic stuff such as orchestral stuff and ambient like Wardruna.

And Winter is Xmas galore, with Trans Siberian Orchestra and the Xmas albums of Loreena McKennitt and Blackmore's Night. And the stupid but irresistible metal cover of Xmas classics.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 11:32:58 AM »
Spring/Autumn - DT - A Change of Seasons
Summer - Terry Jacks - Seasons in the Sun
Winter - Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss

no :P

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 11:42:42 AM »
I generally don't mind the seasons for my musical preference, but some albums to me are just tons better in the right time and place, sometimes this means a certain climate. Based on that, guess I'll give it a shot:

Autumn: backing up MirrorMask here, Wardruna, the new album (Runaljod - Ragnarok)
Winter: Alcest - Ecailles de Lune
Spring: Alcest - Voyages de L'ame
Summer: This one is hard. Probably some of the happy Train-prog, like Closure In Moscow - Pink Lemonade and Moron Police - Defenders of the Small Yard

Can't help it, Alcest's music is just very season-y, if Ecailles does not scream winter to you, I don't know what does
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 12:08:32 PM »
Summer - Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
Fall - Sigur Ros - Takk...
Winter - Sigur Ros - ( )
Spring - Sigur Ros - Valtari

:neverusethis:

My music moods don't really change based on the season though tbh

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 07:09:53 AM »
Spring:   Asia (the first one) and any Cars album
Summer:  Cheap Trick (usually Budokan or Standing on the Edge) and Kiss (usually Destroyer or Creatures)
Fall:  Genesis (usually Wind and Wuthering, or my version of Abacab Complete)
Winter:  Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Sabotage, Fireball, In Rock

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 07:58:26 AM »
Ok Computer by Radiohead and Be Here Now by oasis were both released in the summer of 1997.

Be Here Now wasn't oasis' greatest album but it was definitely a summer album.

Ok Computer is absolutely a winter album.

I can't imagine driving around in the summer sun with the windows down blaring No Surprises :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 08:14:43 PM »
I got into OK Computer in the summer time, therefore it will always be a summer album for me.

Every time I've see Van Halen or Dave Matthews Band, it has been outside in the summer, so both are major summer band for me.

Opeth is always an autumn band.

The Flower Kings are definitely a spring and summer band.

Peter Gabriel's Up is a cold night driving album for me.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 05:09:43 PM »
I live in south Florida so seasons aren't really a thing. But when it gets cooler outside I always wanna hear FII for some reason.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »
I don't know about albums, but I associate genres to seasons and weather.
Spring: upbeat Britpop, prog rock, metal, indie, alt/old school rap
Summer: gangsta/hardcore rap, metal
Fall: indie rock, darker music
Winter: shoegaze, experimental, dark music
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 11:52:48 AM »
Fair To Midland always remind me of the summer, probably because I discovered them during the summer holidays a few years ago and binched Fables From A Mayfly for weeks.
During the fall, I really love minimalistc and melancholic music, especially when I'm traveling by bus, staring trough the window and it's raining, it just seems to fit so perfectly.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!