Author Topic: Car accident - Who's at fault??  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: Car accident - Who's at fault??
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 05:41:02 PM »
You don't have to interact with it.  You can turn it on before driving, listen to any potential alerts along the way, and turn it off when you arrive at your destination.  Interacting, of course improves accuracy for everyone, but it isn't required.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2017, 05:43:20 PM »
First of all, this thread gives me anxiety. Lol. I hope the motorcyclist is okay.

Also.. it sounds like it could go either way, or even no fault if they can't figure out who's to blame. 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2017, 05:59:32 PM »
Quickly reading over your story I think ultimately you're at fault, just because traffic was yielding to you the motorcyclist still had right of way.

That said the motorcyclist shouldn't of been doing 65 in a 35. I ride a motorcycle to and I always stay at the speed limit on roads like those simply because you never know who is going to pull out in front of you.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2017, 07:44:44 PM »
It's really simple. You said 3 cars were stopped for you. There are 3 lanes of traffic. The only question is, was the first car in the first lane of traffic, OR in the turn lane to turn down the street you were coming from? If the first car was in the first lane of traffic, then all three lanes had stopped, and the motorcycle was filtering. His fault. But if the first car was in the turn lane, then it's possible that the motorcycle was in the far lane. Your fault.

So, are you sure there were 3 cars stopped for you? What lane was the first car in?

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2017, 08:28:50 PM »
First of all, this thread gives me anxiety. Lol. I hope the motorcyclist is okay.

Also.. it sounds like it could go either way, or even no fault if they can't figure out who's to blame.

Yeah, I really hope so. I'm going to try to visit him to see how he is faring. It's crushing my heart, aching for him. Kinda strange since I don't even know him at all.

Quickly reading over your story I think ultimately you're at fault, just because traffic was yielding to you the motorcyclist still had right of way.

That said the motorcyclist shouldn't of been doing 65 in a 35. I ride a motorcycle to and I always stay at the speed limit on roads like those simply because you never know who is going to pull out in front of you.

Ah, I see. You ride a motorcycle? Pretty tight. :)

He was coming so fast, it was very shocking when he hit my car.

It's really simple. You said 3 cars were stopped for you. There are 3 lanes of traffic. The only question is, was the first car in the first lane of traffic, OR in the turn lane to turn down the street you were coming from? If the first car was in the first lane of traffic, then all three lanes had stopped, and the motorcycle was filtering. His fault. But if the first car was in the turn lane, then it's possible that the motorcycle was in the far lane. Your fault.

So, are you sure there were 3 cars stopped for you? What lane was the first car in?

It was the first car in the first lane of traffic. After he stopped for me, the cars next to him stopped also.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2017, 08:31:41 PM »

He was coming so fast, it was very shocking when he hit my car.

Sorry, had to do it.  Hope everything turns out okay. :)

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2017, 06:47:23 AM »
^^^ Thank you, from all of us :lol

Well then, logic would dictate that the motorcycle didn't have his own lane. Even if he wasn't intentionally filtering, he was going too fast to stop with the rest of traffic, and that would be wreckless driving.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2017, 08:19:50 AM »
Reckless. Wreckless is something else, and by the sounds of it, his bike was pretty wrecked.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2017, 08:29:42 AM »
^^^ Thank you, from all of us :lol

Well then, logic would dictate that the motorcycle didn't have his own lane. Even if he wasn't intentionally filtering, he was going too fast to stop with the rest of traffic, and that would be wreckless driving.
I believe he did have his own lane. It's actually a 7 lane road. Three Eastbound, a turn lane, three Westbound.  If I understood her explanation, all three E cars yielded. When W saw that she was stuck in the middle the first two lanes (from her side) yielded and numbnuts on the scooter hauled ass right on through the last lane.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2017, 08:37:35 AM »
Okay, it's those W bound cars I was asking about, and whether there were three stopped. It's like the Kennedy Assassination; will we ever know what REALLY happened?  :corn

Reckless. Wreckless is something else, and by the sounds of it, his bike was pretty wrecked.
Thank you! (I can't find a dunce cap emoji :lol)

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2017, 08:56:50 AM »
There were no cars in the turning lane. The leftmost lane of the westbound car yielded for me, then the middle and right lane followed.

Then I waited 3 seconds, raised my hand and proceeded across.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2017, 10:18:04 AM »
So which lane was the motorcycle?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2017, 10:21:17 AM »
I think somewhere in the rightmost lane because when I was about to make it, he hit the passenger side of the car.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2017, 10:26:32 AM »
Well, I think most of us agree that the answer to the initial "whose fault" question depends on whether or not he was in a lane. If there were cars in all three W lanes and he was between them then it's on him. If he had the third lane to himself then it's on you.

And either way he was a dope.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2017, 10:40:24 AM »
Oh yeah. It's something one of the attorneys would be better off addressing, but going to visit the guy might very well be a stunningly bad idea. In legal matters being a nice guy can often get you reamed.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2017, 11:03:29 AM »
Yeah, don't visit him.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.