Author Topic: What are your fears?  (Read 5222 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: What are your fears?
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2017, 05:24:51 PM »
Ever since my GF died 9 months ago, I fear nothing or no one except God.
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear, there is nothing more devastating. I can relate with how you must feel, my wife of 20 years passed a year and a half ago. Nothing else in life seems to matter. I couldn't even pick up my guitar and play it for at least a year. Hang in there, only time makes it get a little easier to live with.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2017, 08:53:52 AM »
Ever since my GF died 9 months ago, I fear nothing or no one except God.
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear, there is nothing more devastating. I can relate with how you must feel, my wife of 20 years passed a year and a half ago. Nothing else in life seems to matter. I couldn't even pick up my guitar and play it for at least a year. Hang in there, only time makes it get a little easier to live with.

I'm also sorry for your loss.  It's amazing how the loss of someone so close can change your perspective.  Nothing looks or feels the same anymore and I'm not afraid of dying.  It does slightly get easier with time.  Thanks for the reply.  I appreciate it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2017, 11:07:01 AM »
Sorry for both of your losses.  I can't imagine how difficult that must be. 

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2017, 11:12:30 AM »
Sorry for both of your losses.  I can't imagine how difficult that must be.

Yep...as am I. Losing a loved one is devastating and I hope you both can/have found some peace.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2017, 11:15:18 AM »
I appreciate it very much!  We just got to be strong and move forward, unfortunately this cruel world doesn't give you time to grieve. The bills keep coming, the pressure is always on. Thank God for good friends and music, and my dog who is always by my side! 😎
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2017, 07:36:39 PM »
Getting Alzheimer's

At least you won't realize you fear it...

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2017, 05:59:00 AM »
The probability that there is nothing after death. The nothingness scares me.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2017, 06:50:02 AM »
Getting Alzheimer's

Seeing my grandmother go down with Dementia - I'm pretty sure she knew what was happening and was incredibly angry and scared.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2017, 06:58:18 AM »

I'm afraid of what KB posted and then deleted.

*shudder*
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2017, 07:00:15 AM »

Definetely an uncomfortable concept, I would think for most people.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2017, 08:17:22 AM »
Getting Alzheimer's

Who's the girl in your sig?  I might fear her. 

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2017, 08:23:11 AM »
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2017, 08:26:09 AM »

Definetely an uncomfortable concept, I would think for most people.

Wouldn't you prefer nothing - instead of infinite torture. I don't think such a place exists though. I don't see how - if there is a God - how he could allow anyone to go there.

My bro thinks if you are not "saved" after death - then you cease to exist. Full Stop. Which is preferable to an eternity of absolute misery.

I think such a place was invented by catholics to strike absolute terror into their congregation. A means of control and power.

Besides - it would be like going to sleep. You aren't aware of being asleep. You wouldn't be aware of not existing. Definitely preferable to me...

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2017, 09:03:45 AM »
Of course it's preferable given those two options. But the idea of hell isn't a scary thought to me since I don't believe in it. That leaves me with eternal nothing, which is a difficult concept to wrap ones mind around. I wouldn't say I fear it, but it is a slightly uncomfortable idea.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2017, 09:55:59 AM »
I dunno. I've had some nights where the thought of just no longer existing sounds really enticing...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2017, 10:10:23 AM »
I have no doubt that heaven and hell are real.  What scares me is that I can choose the latter and give up the assurance of the former.  If I could somehow persuade myself of the possibility of mere nonexistence after death, I don't know that I would find it scary as much as just depressing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2017, 10:12:12 AM »
You have no doubt that a concept that can in no way even remotely be proven is real?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2017, 10:17:46 AM »
I don't believe in concepts.  I believe when can be proven.  If you want to have the debate where one side predictably plugs their ears and refuses to acknowledge the evidence because it doesn't fit into their preconceived notions, that can be taken to P/R, where it has been done to death already.  But that isn't the place of this thread, so please stop with the derailment and veiled insults.  That isn't what this thread is for.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2017, 10:27:45 AM »
I think such a place was invented by catholics to strike absolute terror into their congregation. A means of control and power.

The 'idea' and 'popular' presentation of Hell is absolutely made up and inaccurate. It's largely based off of Dante's Inferno and has been glamorized and pitched as this 'burn in hell' type of thing....when in all actuality as explained in the Gospels Hell is 'simply' spending eternity outside of God's presence. That's it. Me being a Christian...that's scary enough in itself....but....you can get real P/R'y once we start heading down that road and as Bosk says, it's been done to death in P/R....but this idea of fire and brimstone and a pitchforked devil is contrived.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2017, 10:29:48 AM »
Yeah. Last word from me on the subject - but I really don't think that if there is a God ( and I do think there is - the Universe is too awesome to be an accident ** ) -

I don't think he'd allow any souls to end up there for eternity.

The idea of just ceasing to be is much preferable.

** I sat up in bed one time with a terrifying thought - that if The Big Bang Theory is correct - then that essentially means that absolutely every single thing in existence -

the universe, all the planets, humans etc. Absolutely everything that has ever existed - is a massive accident.

I think that's too scary a thought to be the truth.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2017, 10:54:02 AM »
** I sat up in bed one time with a terrifying thought - that if The Big Bang Theory is correct - then that essentially means that absolutely every single thing in existence -

the universe, all the planets, humans etc. Absolutely everything that has ever existed - is a massive accident.

Why is that scary?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2017, 11:00:18 AM »
The idea that nothing that exists was ever meant to be here ?

That everything we know exists solely because of a fluke ?

iunno m8 it was scary to me.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2017, 11:10:07 AM »
Dying with regrets.  Or, possibly related, a German word I learned a few years ago: torschlusspanik.  Literally fear of closing doors, or something like that, with regard to moving through life as opportunities become closed to you.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2017, 12:08:03 PM »
Why would the big bang specifically contradict purpose?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2017, 12:15:34 PM »
Why would the big bang specifically contradict purpose?

It doesn't. You can just say The Big Bang was the first necessary step in a very complex process that's required for a purpose. You could argue that in order to have "purpose" in the first place, you need to first have something. You can't do great things (have a purpose) as a people without a modern society. You can't build a modern society without buildings. You can't have buildings without strong materials. You can't have strong materials until you know how to combine elements. You can't have elements without atoms. You can't have atoms without protons, electrons, and neutrons. You can't have protons, electrons, or neutrons without space time. You can't have space time without the Big Bang. All you have to say is that the Big Bang was the required catalyst to lead to whatever purpose your heart desires to exist. I'm not saying I believe in a purpose or that the existence of matter means there is one, but it'd be easy to work into an argument.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2017, 12:27:34 PM »
Dying with regrets. 

This is a good one.  After waisting 9 years of my life with someone who I ended up really disliking, I felt like I regretted those 9 years or more specifically the last 4 of which when things started to get miserable.  I told myself after that I would be doing everything I can to live a life with no regrets.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2017, 03:14:45 PM »
"Someone once told me the definition of hell: on your last day on earth, the person you are will meet the person you could have become."
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2017, 04:35:48 PM »
I don't fear hell fire because it doesn't make any sense. How could a loving God burn somebody for eternity for being bad for a short lifetime. There would be no justice there, being that God's attributes are Love, Justice, Wisdom, and Power.
 I loving father would not put a child's hand on a burner for misbhaving. A loving God wouldn't dream of torturing somebody for eternity. The lake of fire in the Bible is symbolic meaning distruction. Anything burnt by fire completely ceases to exist. So enemies of God won't burn for eternity, they just won't have life anymore. In otherwords, cease to exist.
 That doesn't mean that many bad people (that had a good heart deep down inside) who have all ready died won't have a second chance. The bible sais there's going to be a resurrection of the righteous and the unrighteous. They will be able to start fresh under God's kingdom arrangement.
 I could explain so much more about this but like Bosk said, it belongs in the P&R forum..

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2017, 07:11:20 AM »

Chino responded to this, but I want to as well; I believe - very strongly - that there is a god of some sort.   To Architeuthis's point, though, we have to be very careful not to over-anthropomorphize him/her/it.   This is one of my beefs with Hitchens; he posits there is no God, then uses a bunch of human constructs, and human actions/activities to allegedly debunk it.  I believe "religion" is man-made, and subject to the flaws and imperfections of man, and therefore not proof at all of any omnipresent being.  The other common way to "debunk" god is to attack the assertions of the bible - also a man-made document.  I personally believe god set this universe in motion - ala a top or gyroscope - and much like a scientist, largely let's it "happen".   That doesn't mean there isn't purpose, that doesn't mean that the "scientist" can't tweak the experiment, but I also don't believe that "God" gives a crap whether that wide receiver catches that pass or that basketball player nails that shot at the buzzer.  He might, he might put things in motion to allow that person to do those things, but I don't think the hand of god guides that ball into the hoop.   I could be dead wrong - I know no more than anyone else - but I think we have to account for all those things that DON'T fit our belief system, as much as we have to account for those things that do.

TL;DR:  I don't think the existence of the Big Bang at all means there is no god, or that there is no "purpose".   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2017, 07:13:44 AM »
I always use TV as a device to get away for the reality of life.  Escapism.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2017, 07:19:49 AM »

*snip*

I totally agree that Religion is bad and should only reflect on the people that follow it / abuse it / enforce it than the God it is supposedly based on.

If someone blows up a building and says God made them do it - then that person is probably a nutcase.

It's like when they find out a murderer listened to metal before a killing spree. It wouldn't even get mentioned if all they found in his record collection was Beethoven.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2017, 07:42:33 AM »
"Someone once told me the definition of hell: on your last day on earth, the person you are will meet the person you could have become."

The person you "are" is the person you have become.  Don't you mean the person you "were"?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2017, 08:12:11 AM »
“Has The Person you Were Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like The Person You Could Have Become?"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2017, 09:09:48 AM »

Bees. Fucking bees, wasps, yellowjackets. Fuck them all. One gets within 20 feet of me and I turn into a whimpering little girl. And lord help us all if one ends up in my room.

Also, a drink. I am terrified of where a drink will take me after almost six years of sobriety, the end result would only be death, taking the love of family and friends with me.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2017, 12:57:52 PM »
Dying with regrets. 

This is a good one.  After waisting 9 years of my life with someone who I ended up really disliking, I felt like I regretted those 9 years or more specifically the last 4 of which when things started to get miserable.  I told myself after that I would be doing everything I can to live a life with no regrets.
I spent almost 6 years with someone who was in almost every way incompatible, and we were like a miserable old married couple within a year or two.  I don't view it as time wasted.  I learned a lot about what I want and don't want in a relationship from those 5+ years and the few single years afterward.  That knowledge has served me well, and may be the most valuable thing I've learned in life.  No regrets there.