Author Topic: What are your fears?  (Read 5213 times)

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
What are your fears?
« on: February 25, 2017, 08:05:02 PM »
I grabbed this idea after Mr. Boom Shack A Lack's fear of heights thread and I thought it'd be nice to try to expand it.

I heard that more people were afraid of public speaking than death? Is that true?

Anyways, what are your fears?

Personally, I'm afraid of spiders. They are one of the most disgusting creatures ever to live on this planet. I remember this time I was cleaning my room and I found a dusty "Life Science" book with a picture of a spider in front of it. Well, when I opened it, a spider jumped right and I almost died right on the spot. I've never felt so scared in my entire life before. Not just spiders, but that goes for all creepy and gross bugs/insects.

Another one would be closed spaces and elevators. I've had an accident with an elevator when I was young before and the lights all shut off and it malfunctioned. I don't remember it well, but all I remember was that I was on the floor, shaking when the emergency crew finally pried the door open. I can never forget this nightmare.

Also lastly, it would be death. I've had no problem with public speaking and I'm not afraid of dying, but how I will die. I don't want to die a painful death...a peaceful death would be recommended.

Anyways, what are your fears?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: What are your fears?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 08:07:19 PM »
Teeth and anything involving teeth, gums or dentistry.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 08:42:38 PM »

Offline Adami

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 08:46:15 PM »
Real teeth.

Except the lady gaga song "teeth". I like that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 09:08:18 PM »

Offline Adami

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 09:12:39 PM »
There are faster ways to seduce me bro.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 09:23:19 PM »

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 11:16:39 PM »
:lol

I ship it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 11:49:39 PM »
As far as my fears, I have severe acrophobia, slight aquaphobia, and claustrophobia. Other than that, I'm good. I've also developed peniphobia which is the fear of big dicks being waved in my face.

Offline Adami

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 11:58:39 PM »
As far as my fears, I have severe acrophobia, slight aquaphobia, and claustrophobia. Other than that, I'm good. I've also developed peniphobia which is the fear of big dicks being waved in my face.

:'(

Talk about rejection.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 11:59:34 PM »

:'(

Talk about rejection.

Awwww. So adorable.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 12:07:46 AM »

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 02:22:38 AM »
I'm afraid of heights, but especially in open spaces. Roof top ledges, the observation areas near the tops of waterfalls, near the edge of a cliff, or the edge of a parking garage.

I'm also afraid of very deep, open water.

Also, someone coming into my home and harming my family. Some of you may remember several years ago we dealt with a stalker at our home. Soon after that experience I started to have nightmares about someone harming my family. We had a panic room put in, and I have several weapons, and a very advanced security system. I'm not ever worried about myself, but rather my wife and son. I'm pretty anal about home security now.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 02:31:10 AM »
My greatest fear would to have a child with someone. Then for the relationship to go south, despite my best efforts to keep it together, and then for the judge to award my partner full custody instead of 50/50, despite me being a loving parent with a solid job and a clean and safe apartment. And then from there, my ex keeps my child from me. And then finally for my child to feel pain and sadness from this bullshit that two adults should've been able to figure out.

That's my greatest fear on this Earth.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 02:38:01 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 03:19:01 AM »
My greatest fear would to have a child with someone. Then for the relationship to go south, despite my best efforts to keep it together, and then for the judge to award my partner full custody instead of 50/50, despite me being a loving parent with a solid job and a clean and safe apartment. And then from there, my ex keeps my child from me. And then finally for my child to feel pain and sadness from this bullshit that two adults should've been able to figure out.

That's my greatest fear on this Earth.

As someone who is currently experiencing that, it fucking sucks.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 06:09:11 AM »
Getting Alzheimer's or anything remotely similar to Lou Gehrig's disease and the day I no longer have parents.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 07:38:21 AM »
Tornadoes.

I say that because most of my nightmares involve them.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 08:02:24 AM »
Tornadoes.

I say that because most of my nightmares involve them.

Weirdly - my worst nightmares involve lifts ( elevators ) and roller coasters... .neither of which I am remotely scared of in reality.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 12:14:45 PM »
I'm afraid of needles and I'm claustrophobic. My fear of needles used to be a bigger deal to the point that I couldn't even move for a good ten minutes after getting bloodwork done from being frozen in fear. Lately though, my claustrophobia has taken control as the more dominant fear.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 08:43:06 PM »
Giving birth - seriously don't know if I could do it. The pain, the anxiety, the complete life changing forever... yeah not sure its for me.

Death - soooo not ready for that one either

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 09:37:32 PM »
I'm afraid of heights, but especially in open spaces. Roof top ledges, the observation areas near the tops of waterfalls, near the edge of a cliff, or the edge of a parking garage.

Also, someone coming into my home and harming my family. Some of you may remember several years ago we dealt with a stalker at our home. Soon after that experience I started to have nightmares about someone harming my family. We had a panic room put in, and I have several weapons, and a very advanced security system. I'm not ever worried about myself, but rather my wife and son. I'm pretty anal about home security now.

And now, losing my wallet.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 10:52:17 PM »
Abandonment.  Being forgotten.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 11:14:35 PM »
Abandonment.  Being forgotten.

:)

Since I don't want to be accused of spamming this thread...

My wife and I had an issue a while back, where she was furious enough to say that if my behavior continued, she wouldn't hesitate to contact a lawyer. At that point, everything you said above came true, if only for an instant. Now it is my only real fear at this stage in my life.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 11:18:42 PM »
Sure. I'll be Tempus's wallet.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 02:03:02 AM »
Don't worry, Jay. You will never be forgotten. :hug:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 02:47:57 AM »
I don't know if it's what I'm the most afraid of, but the fear that is triggered the most for me is my fear of ants. When I was little me and my friend decided to climb this tree, as kids do. Unfortunately for me this entire tree was home to some sort of ant who all came out at once and attacked me. My mom had to pick them off my body with tweezers because they had bitten into my skin and wouldn't let go. Now I can't stand to see ants. If I'm in a forest or something and see an ant hill nearby I freak out.

This is the result of one of my fears too, one which I can't really specify because it can manifest itself in various ways. The most common way is that I'm really really afraid of large waves, something I used to have frequent nightmares about until I learned how to control those dreams. I think it can be just a fear of massive things coming towards me, but waves is what freaks me out the most. But the open deep ocean can do that for me too, although it's not specific to the water. If I'm in a normal dark room, I'd be fine, but if I new that the room was also huge and I couldn't see that, that would also make me uncomfortable.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 09:59:45 AM »
I have nothing like "spiders" and "ants", though I have a healthy respect for them (and snakes).

I do have a fear of being hit in the mouth; I lost four baby teeth as a kid, and that never left me.   I've played hickey with a broken foot, I've played several sports with broken fingers/arms, but if I fear I'm going to be hit in the mouth, I'm a little coward.

I have a fear of being severely cut, and a fear of losing a limb (not entirely the same thing, but related).  I cut my finger on a mandoline a couple months ago and haven't been able to watch one being used on the Food Network since.   

It's not a fear, per se, but while I love my mom dearly, I've already told my wife that when my dad passes, all bets are off.   I don't know how I'm going to respond but I'm going to need her like no other time.  (And no, I don't mean hookers and blow or anything like that, I just mean it's going to hit me very hard).   

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 11:08:43 AM »
Getting Alzheimer's or anything remotely similar to Lou Gehrig's disease

These two things are frightening. I don't have a fear of any of the 'gross' animals that seem to bother most folks because I've probably captured and handled just about every kind and type. But Alzheimer's is utterly terrifying to me...the thought of losing my memories makes me seriously contemplate assisted suicide if I ever found out that was my fate. I wouldn't put my family through the long drawn out death like that...the emotional turmoil....it's just as brutal on them as I assume losing your mind is to the person. I can't imagine....

But these days....most of the things that truly terrify me when I allow myself to be swept away by a wandering mind and imagination are things associated with my kids. Them being kidnapped, developing a terminal disease....things of that nature. As a parent I find any 'worry' I have in my life has little to do with work or bills or anything like that....any anxiety I have is related directly to my kids somehow and if how I'm parenting and providing for them is sufficient enough to give them the foundation they need to succeed and survive in the world.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 11:34:34 AM »
Lightning!  I've had a few close encounters with lt, while camping, while driving, several times at home. My house got struck 3 years ago while we were there ( the most humbling freaky random thing ever), why us?
 I used to really enjoy watching lightning but now whenever it is coming our way, My body fills with adrenaline and I'm a bit of a nervous wreck!  It seems like it's after me, and I live in an area where T-storms aren't that common. I've had more close encounters than any of my friends or family, what's gives?? :omg:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:40:07 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 02:10:32 PM »
Ever since my GF died 9 months ago, I fear nothing or no one except God.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2017, 02:27:15 PM »
I've played hickey with a broken foot

Well...but...you're not really supposed to use your feet for that, whether you are giving or receiving.  I think you were doing it wrong.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2017, 04:50:32 PM »
I've played hickey with a broken foot

Well...but...you're not really supposed to use your feet for that, whether you are giving or receiving.  I think you were doing it wrong.

Hey hey.. It's not your place to judge.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2017, 04:54:16 PM »
I have a fear that I fear will come to fruition one day which is that I have absolutely terrible diarrhea while on a long flight which causes a long line on the aircraft waiting to use the bathroom and when I leave everyone on the plane knows I just shat out a dead animal.

I also really don't like blood and get a bit disgusted and sick to my stomach when I see guts.  I am very much afraid of being put in a situation where someone's body is like torn in half and I am the only one there to help them.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2017, 04:58:07 PM »
I also really don't like blood and get a bit disgusted and sick to my stomach when I see guts.  I am very much afraid of being put in a situation where someone's body is like torn in half and I am the only one there to help them.

Oh jesus.

I should also add my fear of needles. I actually blacked out when getting my first Tattoo...

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2017, 05:02:43 PM »
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:47:50 AM by Kotowboy »