Author Topic: Things I find mildly AMUSING V. you read it right.  (Read 7519 times)

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: Things I find mildly AMUSING V. you read it right.
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2017, 02:27:48 PM »
Mildly amusing: a certain unnamed individual with several screws loose, who will remain nameless, but her initials are my mother-in-law, is registered as a Democrat despite being a staunchly conservative Republican. Her reasoning: so she can vote in the primary for the Democrat LEAST LIKELY to defeat the Republican she wants in office.

Those are my grandparents... in rural Ohio.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2017, 02:33:36 PM »
When someone you know who is fairly well-off, doesn't really have to worry about money or bills or anything like that, and can afford to splurge more than not continuously fails to appreciate the truly finer things in life. I'm aware this falls under the "opinion" umbrella, but even when it's not on his dime, this person I know will do things like go to a superfine steakhouse and order a chopsteak well done because it's less expensive than a choice filet or something like that. Or opt for Old Grand Dad because it's the sensible choice instead of a nice small batch, or even a Jim Beam. Like dude, you can afford a $10 glass of whiskey, or even a $45 steak. But nope, he'll choose his restaurants based on the burger special they run or his haircut based on how little it costs. And if it's a $5.99 breakfast buffet, that wins even if the food is shit, because paying more money for delicious food is silly when you can drop a fiver and eat shit.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2017, 02:36:07 PM »
I have one friend who has a lot of money and one who does not.  The friend with little money consistently makes fun of the friend with a lot of money because he is so cheap.  But don't you ever think that the person with a lot of money has the money because of being cheap?

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2017, 02:39:24 PM »
Not really. He has a ot of money because he owns rental properties and is a doctor. He has plenty of income. He might have more because he spends less, but he would have the same financial comfort if he splurged. I'm not suggesting he make a regular diet of beluga caviar and Dom Perignon on a mega-yacht while soaking in a solid gold Jacuzzi filled with the tears of bald eagles, but he could treat himself to some better things once in a while.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »
If I was loaded - I wouldn't buy the best food and the best haircuts etc etc either.

if I had money - i'd want to keep it.

I wouldn't go to McDonalds instead of an expensive restaurant - but I would go to a *nice* restaurant.

I've actually never seen the point in being rich and buying the best of everything.

I wouldn't need a massive house for instance. I'd want a decent sized house that's comfy for me. Not some gargantuan mansion with 1560 rooms I never even go in.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2017, 02:50:26 PM »
Totally agree about the house.  A huge house is a lot of work and for what?  My house is so tiny and I love it.  I mean if I had a family I'd like a little bigger just so everyone has some space, but I see no need for a big house and would prefer something that is adequate and not excessive.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2017, 02:50:41 PM »
Doesn't have to be just in music or film; in general I hate when people determine that just because the masses think something that popularity indicates fact. The phrase "X million people can't be wrong" is a gigantic fallacy in any subject. Carries a similar weight as "post hoc ergo propter hoc."

But the same works in the opposite way.  That a record sells five million doesn't mean it's drivel pandering to the masses.   

Also, drives me fucking crazy when Eddie Trunk calls American Idol "karaoke", and proudly says "I have never watched even one episode!".   Then how do you know it's karaoke, then?    Like their brand of music or not, but to dismiss people like Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, and Chris Daughtry as "karaoke" ruins your credibility as a music journalist.   

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2017, 02:55:20 PM »
I think there is a very big difference between allowing oneself to enjoy nice things and a few select luxuries because you can afford it and blowing the whole wad on foolhardy extravagance just because. Like I said, I'm not suggesting over-the-top opulence like a Rolls Royce or a million dollar wardrobe. But for fuck's sake, he can dine on something other than an overcooked meat patty once in a while.

But the same works in the opposite way.  That a record sells five million doesn't mean it's drivel pandering to the masses.   

Also, drives me fucking crazy when Eddie Trunk calls American Idol "karaoke", and proudly says "I have never watched even one episode!".   Then how do you know it's karaoke, then?    Like their brand of music or not, but to dismiss people like Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, and Chris Daughtry as "karaoke" ruins your credibility as a music journalist.   

You're absolutely right. I wasn't trying to discredit the popular music. I was just using it as an example. My gripe was more with the person claiming popularity meant fact while the less popular was purely opinion.

Regarding a house, I've always had aspirations to live comfortably within my means. Where we live right now is wonderful and I love it, but we could use a little bit more space. We are certainly not going to look for a 15-room mansion with so much space you need a telephone to communicate through the house. However, we obviously aren't looking to be on Tiny House Nation, either. It's all about balance.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2017, 02:56:55 PM »

Pop music is music. I don't like it per se but there are some great catchy pop songs. Since You've Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson is one of them.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2017, 03:11:10 PM »
Not really. He has a ot of money because he owns rental properties and is a doctor. He has plenty of income. He might have more because he spends less, but he would have the same financial comfort if he splurged. I'm not suggesting he make a regular diet of beluga caviar and Dom Perignon on a mega-yacht while soaking in a solid gold Jacuzzi filled with the tears of bald eagles, but he could treat himself to some better things once in a while.

But you just hit the nail on the head, whether you realize it or not.  It's not about what or how much you spend, but HOW you spend.

Buying a $20,000 car that will shit the bed at 60,000 miles, or a $60,000 car that can basically run forever if maintained?   Spend the money.    Buying Dom Perignon at $300 a bottle versus a reasonable bottle of Moet for $20?  I'll bet you the difference in price you can't tell the difference in taste.   It's the difference between investment and expendable purchases.  You have to make your money work FOR you, and that to me is the primary difference between the wealthy and the not so wealthy. 

I think there's some truth in what Cram says.   I think there are people that understand money and those that don't.   It's not absolute, but I think there is some correlation between that and those that have money and those that don't.   There's a reason lottery winners claim bankruptcy at a rate something like three times the general population (which, incidentally, would include those that were born with money or that earned their money over time).   

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2017, 04:23:16 PM »
But you just hit the nail on the head, whether you realize it or not.  It's not about what or how much you spend, but HOW you spend.

Buying a $20,000 car that will shit the bed at 60,000 miles, or a $60,000 car that can basically run forever if maintained?   Spend the money.    Buying Dom Perignon at $300 a bottle versus a reasonable bottle of Moet for $20?  I'll bet you the difference in price you can't tell the difference in taste.   It's the difference between investment and expendable purchases.  You have to make your money work FOR you, and that to me is the primary difference between the wealthy and the not so wealthy. 

That's exactly how I treat my money and purchases. Extremes in either directions can be flawed.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2017, 05:34:10 AM »
Not saying who but yesterday someone said I looked like i'd put on weight probably just to be a twat..

And I am like 175lbs ( 12.5 stone ) and they're standing there with their 300 lb gut..

it's like ;D I ain't even mad.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2017, 08:54:37 AM »
Hyperplex's avatar mildly irritates me yet mildly amusing, ha!  It kind of creeps me out to the point that it's a relief to scroll past it..  :biggrin:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »
;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:26:39 PM by Kotowboy »

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2017, 10:37:33 AM »
Hyperplex's avatar mildly irritates me yet mildly amusing, ha!  It kind of creeps me out to the point that it's a relief to scroll past it..  :biggrin:

It was this exact avatar that made me turn avatars off.  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2017, 10:58:11 AM »
Wow guys, I'm so flattered. :lol

Perhaps I'll replace it soon.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2017, 11:38:16 AM »
Tadaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2017, 11:50:07 AM »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2017, 02:28:47 PM »
Architeuthis - is the typo in your signature intentional? Because it's mildly amusing to me.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2017, 04:35:22 PM »
Architeuthis - is the typo in your signature intentional? Because it's mildly amusing to me.
Dohhh! Good call, lol. I meant alot, not "a lot".. I will fix that.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2017, 04:37:40 PM »
What about fist ?

and " lo last "

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2017, 05:20:52 PM »
I was actually referring to "lo last" and "fist."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2017, 05:45:51 PM »
I hope he's joking since "alot" isn't a word.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2017, 06:07:31 PM »
 :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2017, 10:53:32 PM »
I was actually referring to "lo last" and "fist."
Dang, lol! The print is so small I never noticed those typo's. I'm a good speller most of the time, so I'll blame it on auto-correct.  That's alot of mistakes, I mean A LOT!!  :yarr

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2017, 06:07:45 AM »
When you can tell someone just learned a new word because they use it repeatedly and in the wrong place.

;D

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2017, 10:49:02 AM »
I hope he's joking since "alot" isn't a word.
Is too.

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2017, 03:09:20 AM »
For a kick off . . How about people that claim they are a huge fan of a band but don't know the names of any songs, albums or band members :P

Or when they get a fact about a band completely wrong. I was on a date with a woman who was good looking, intelligent and seemed
to know a lot about music. Aerosmith came up in the conversation, and she said "Oh my God, I love Aerosmith. My favorite song is "Dream Weaver"!!

So I started singing "Dream Weaver", and said to her "THAT song???" She replied "no, that's a different "Dream Weaver".

::)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2017, 09:38:35 AM »
People who want to lose weight but they don't want to do any extra exercise or give up eating crap food.

:lolpalm: ok good luck with that.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2017, 01:41:24 PM »
This only happens once in a blue moon, but I find it amusing when I wake up and instead of having bed head, my hair looks great for some reason. And then I don't even have to comb it or anything.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2017, 05:16:25 PM »
That has never happened to me lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2017, 05:51:06 PM »
Yeah what the fuck.  :lol

Friggin alien from planet Naishurr.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2017, 06:44:37 PM »
It sort of happened this morning. Woke up with like a bouffant swoosh thing going on. Not something that I would ever concoct on my own, but after a minute or so, I was like "alright, I guess I'll go with it" and the rest, is history... :D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2017, 05:45:25 PM »
When it's like 40 degrees Celsius outside and some people are still wearing shirt, sweater, jacket, wooly hat..

" Oh older people feel the cold "

WHAT COLD ? ITS 100 FARENHEIT :lol

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2017, 08:56:49 PM »
I live in AZ and always wear a sweater. My body does not understand what to do when going from 115f to 74f (outside to inside).