Author Topic: Knowing when to jump ship  (Read 12349 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Knowing when to jump ship
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2017, 04:49:41 PM »
He found out it was only a model.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2017, 04:52:18 PM »
Oh I thought of another one !!

The Levellers. I loved the self titled and Zeitgeist and the album after that.. But then they went super poppy and I never listened to them again.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2017, 06:02:43 PM »

Have you checked out Hardwired...To Self Destruct ? Without any shadow of doubt - Metallica's best album in 25 years. Black Album 2.

I've heard rumblings that it's good...I will have to check it out!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2017, 06:11:35 PM »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2017, 06:15:27 PM »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2017, 06:25:59 PM »
I saw it, realized it was a response to me but had no idea what I had said.

Looked it up.

I smiled.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2017, 06:36:47 PM »
Dammit. Timeforce Google.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline romdrums

« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2017, 08:31:37 PM »
Dave Matthews Band was that band for me.  I saw them 10 times between 1998 and 2002.  Haven't seen them since.  Sitting on a lawn at Alpine Valley for a weekend surrounded by dude bros screaming for random songs just killed any remaining interest I had in them.  I heard a few songs in 2004 and 2006 that had some promise and sounded like a return to form, but nothing from those selections made an album and I just walked away.

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2017, 01:47:58 AM »
After St. Anger and Death Magnetic and the 8 year gap after that plus two orion fests, one 3D movie and the Lulu album ( which i did appreciate ) -

I was about ready to give up on Metallica. Then they dropped Hardwired To Self Destruct and from the day they debuted Hardwired - they seem to be making all the right choices again.

I can relate to this. I was kinda "Yeah, whatever" about the new album, then I liked it and I was hooked back into Metallica.

They're important enough and I loved them enough that I would have still checked out their album no matter what, but the album being so good helped a lot.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2017, 01:53:49 AM »
Yeah, quite a few

Kamelot, DragonForce, Children of Bodom, Linkin Park, P.O.D., Coldplay, Disturbed

Children of Bodom broke my heart. Their last good album was 12 years ago </3 it sucks. Their first 5 albums were so good and then they just lost it. Such a shame, still haven't checked out their latest and doubt I ever will.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2017, 02:22:50 AM »
Yeah, quite a few

Kamelot, DragonForce, Children of Bodom, Linkin Park, P.O.D., Coldplay, Disturbed

When did you give up on Kamelot?

Well, it sort of started with Ghost Opera. It wasn't a terrible album, but a let down especially after the brilliant Black Halo record. It didn't wow me like their albums before it. But Poetry for the Poisoned is where I just didn't care for them anymore.

He found out it was only a model.

Oh shit  :lol Bless you, Kotowboy

Yeah, quite a few

Children of Bodom broke my heart. Their last good album was 12 years ago </3 it sucks. Their first 5 albums were so good and then they just lost it. Such a shame, still haven't checked out their latest and doubt I ever will.

Me either, and i was a massive fan of Alexi Laiho back then too

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2017, 04:01:09 AM »
Alice In Chains - They were my second favourite outta the grunge bands (behind PJ).  I played the shit out of Facelift, Dirt, Fly O Flies/Sap and The Self Titled Album.  But I've had no interest in their comeback albums at all, I don't think I've even heard one song.  Same with The Smashing Pumpkins.

Tragically Hip - Sad one this.  Love this band, good stuff though out all their first 10 albums.  Then came the bland 'We Are The Same' and they followed that up with 'Now For Plan A' an album I simply disliked.  There most recent album 'Man Machine Poem' I just didn't bother with.  Now lead singer Gord Downie has terminal brain cancer, so very sad.  Truely a great band, and I feel bad about leaving them.

Arcade Fire are band currently on the brink, I loved their first 3 albums - but 'Reflektor' was a direction change that left me cold, if they pursue this style in the future I think I'll back away.

Chili Peppers - Haven't bothered with either of their latest albums.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 04:47:00 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Art

« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2017, 04:44:56 AM »
Iced Earth, In Flames, Blind Guardian (unfortunately).

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2017, 05:14:32 AM »

Well, it sort of started with Ghost Opera. It wasn't a terrible album, but a let down especially after the brilliant Black Halo record. It didn't wow me like their albums before it. But Poetry for the Poisoned is where I just didn't care for them anymore.

I remember when I first got into them about 4 yrs ago, folks said they weren't as keen on GO or PFTP.  As I've progressed through the albums I've found I really like them both.  More so than some of the favs like Fourth Legacy.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2017, 07:34:16 AM »
I don't find this too difficult now that we have streaming services, which make it very easy to check out a new album with zero commitment or cost (beyond the streaming subscription I'm paying anyway). So there are definitely bands that I've lost interest in. But if I'm still a fan, even if their recent output doesn't interest me anymore then I'll normally still check out a new album at least once.

Okay, but if you check their new album out for free, then that goes against the idea behind this thread. 

To reiterate, when I say jumping ship, I don't mean losing interest, but still checking stuff out; I mean losing interest to where you stop listening to almost anything new (barring hearing something on the radio, TV, etc.).

In that regard, streaming services makes it much harder to jump ship on a band completely, since it's pretty easy now to check out their new stuff for free somewhere, while back in the day, it was buy the CD to hear it or you probably hear it anywhere.

To Kev Schmev's original point:

Queensryche, after Hear In The Now Frontier (though I bought the new Todd album, but not the Tater stuff)
Scorpions, after Savage Amusement (though I bought Humanity Hour I used because I know one of the songwriters)
Blues Traveler, after Straight On Til Morning

I might be there with Ozzy.   I'm not there with DT, because even though I don't like the Mangini era that much, I will still listen, and maybe even go to shows (to meet up with other fans, mostly). 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2017, 08:03:36 AM »
Out of 225 bands on my phone currently, only about 30 are auto buys which I posted below. Anything with an * means I didn't love their last album and they are thin ice so to speak. I've been really cutting back on purchases for financial reason.

Adele
Alpha Rev
Alter Bridge
Anathema
Ayreon
BTBAM
The Dear Hunter
Delain
Devin Townsend*
Dream Theater
Flying Colors
Haken
Iron Maiden
James Labrie
Metallica
Neal Morse
Nightwish
Opeth*
Redemption*
Sabaton
Spock's Beard
Stone Sour
Symphony X
Tarja*
Tesla*
Threshold
Toto
The Winery Dogs
Within Temptation
Zac Brown Band

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2017, 08:12:34 AM »
It's never easy to tip your cap to a band or artist on a career well done and then move away from them while they are still an active band, but sometimes you just know that the downhill slide has begun and it's been to get off on the way down instead of forcing a multitude of bad albums on yourself praying for a return to form that you just know is never coming.

Has anyone ever pulled this off?  I mean quitting a band cold turkey and not bothering to check anything new out anymore.

I think I am about at that point with the Flaming Lips, after two now blah releases in a row (The Terror and Oczy Mlody).  It's clear as day that their creative peak is long gone, especially since the last show we saw of theirs wasn't nearly as good as the two we had seen prior.

I pulled it off successfully with Queensryche.  Hear in the Now Frontier was the start of the slide, but I still stuck it out and tried Q2K, which wasn't any better, so I jumped ship and I still to this day have barely heard anything new they did with Geoff Tate in the band after Q2K (maybe a few songs I eventually checked out on YT and realized they were crap).

Fascinating topic. I haven't had complete success, only partial. In regard to Queensryche, I've sort of been able to put the original lineup into a mental box for myself, enabling me to enjoy that, and not care as much about what followed. But that literally has taken until probably the last six months, so I didn't really "jump ship" until then, and again, only partially. i still keep tabs, but not nearly like I used to.

The same can be said for me with Dream Theater. I really didn't like what Jordan brought to the band in 1999. I felt the band gained virtuosity, but lost a bit of soul and atmosphere. And I still feel that way. But I've hung on now for 18 more years, finding a couple things on each record I enjoy. But I couldn't completely "jump ship."

I find it incredibly difficult, once you've invested a lot of thought and time into a group that you enjoy (even if only a period of time), to cut them out completely. You sit there hoping, waiting, that they'll release something you feel the same about.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2017, 12:04:58 PM »
Metallica lost me after TBA, after all these years I bought Hardwired and this album has renewed my faith in them. Awesome album!!!
 Queensryche lost me with Promised Land and I haven't looked back since. However, I do still listen to their older stuff, especially OMC. So I haven't jumped ship completely.
 Scorpions kind of lost me. Their last good album being Savage Amusement. I just bought their latest concert dvd from Germany, sounded ok but painful to watch. The shirtless drummer, tight leather pants etc,, so 80's cliche. Rudolph Schenkers weird stage antics.. :facepalm:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2017, 09:29:23 PM »
Dave Matthews Band was that band for me.  I saw them 10 times between 1998 and 2002.  Haven't seen them since.  Sitting on a lawn at Alpine Valley for a weekend surrounded by dude bros screaming for random songs just killed any remaining interest I had in them.  I heard a few songs in 2004 and 2006 that had some promise and sounded like a return to form, but nothing from those selections made an album and I just walked away.

I can't say I've completely jumped ship on them, but my interest has plummeted.  I saw five times from 2000-2004 and enjoyed the heck out of every show but one (bad seats), but aside from the album they did right after LeRoi Moore died, nothing they have done in the last 13-14 years has done much for me.  At their creative peak (1994-2000), they were great, but that is long passed.

I find it incredibly difficult, once you've invested a lot of thought and time into a group that you enjoy (even if only a period of time), to cut them out completely. You sit there hoping, waiting, that they'll release something you feel the same about.

Yep, it is very difficult to do, which is why I thought it would be an interesting topic.

I think the only reason I manage to pull off jumping ship with Queensryche was my interest in them evaporated right when I was getting online and into a bunch of new bands, so there was never that "I miss that band" void. I found a bunch of bands who were released albums miles better than the last two they had done.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2017, 10:16:22 PM »
...Dream Theater for me. I haven't completely written them off. I never got into the self-titled, but I just considered that a fluke for me. And then The Astonishing came out, and after one listen I never went back to it. But I don't count that as a strike because it wasn't *just* an album, it was a concept album with media that expanded beyond the music into ARG games and lore and such. If the next album doesn't grab me though, then that might be it. I didn't really like BCaSL and loved ADToE, so I know the current line-up has it in them to put out great stuff. Just hope I get to hear another album like that in the future.

I suppose Incubus too. It was a long gap between the 2006 album and the 2011 one, and the 2011 album was so damn boring I wondered if the band was just losing it's creative spark as the guys approached their late 30s/early 40s. I'll give the new album a shot though.

I have to agree with you with DT. I think they started losing me with BCSL and it's been a downhill for me ever since.

I can't really agree with you on Incubus. If not now when is probably my least favorite album and it definitely didn't hit me with the power their previous albums did it's still a good record after some time. It has more duds than previous records but I think it was a good experiment in making a more low key record. I'm pumped for "8" and see if it's a return to form.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2017, 10:20:33 PM »
For me it just kinda happens if there has been enough duds to warrant me losing interest. The amount may be different. For example with Opeth, while I enjoyed PC, I would call the last 3 albums duds and I don't have faith in them making a truly great album again. With a band like Dredg, it only took Chuckles & Mr Squeezy to kill off my interest almost entirely. I've actually had a hard time going back to their good albums because Chuckles left a bad taste in my mouth.

Chuckles was bad, really bad but I don't think it could go back and undue the great work they did prior.

For what it's worth there was a recent podcast with Mark that shed light on the chuckles album. It wasn't supposed to be a true dredg album instead it was originally going to be label a Dan the Automator album with dredg but the record company was against it. Also it was the first time that they recorded separately, they all sent in tracks separately and Dan put them together. Not that it makes the album any better but when Mark talked about getting together with the guys this year it gave me hope that if they make another record it has the potential to be great.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2017, 11:57:24 PM »
Chuckles is awesome, you sillies.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2017, 05:34:52 AM »
Awesome isn't the word I would use :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2017, 07:32:55 AM »

I can't say I've completely jumped ship on them, but my interest has plummeted.  I saw five times from 2000-2004 and enjoyed the heck out of every show but one (bad seats), but aside from the album they did right after LeRoi Moore died, nothing they have done in the last 13-14 years has done much for me.  At their creative peak (1994-2000), they were great, but that is long passed.

I sort of hate that mentality where "I was into so-and-so when they were a club band; now they blow!".   My friend was a huge REM fan - saw them on if not their first tour, then their second, in a small club here in Connecticut - and when... I think it was Lifes Rich Pageant hit ("Fall On Me" was the single) though it might have been Document ("The One I Love") he was all like "they suck, they sold out, they blow..."    Whatevs.

Dave Matthews is as close to that as I come.  I LOVED the first album, played it to death ("Jimi Thing" is still my favorite DMB song, and the live version from Central Park with Warren Haynes is just sublime) but now?   With all the weekend hippies - including my ex-wife and her new hubby - that are corporate a-holes from Monday to Friday, but "can't wait for the next DMB show!" twice a year, I can't quite believe that that's what Dave envisioned when he first set out.   The only saving grace is that I can watch Carter Beauford play drums all day long (I actually have a set of his sticks right behind me in my office - Pro Mark Millenium II's). 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2017, 08:08:52 AM »

I sort of hate that mentality where "I was into so-and-so when they were a club band; now they blow!".   My friend was a huge REM fan - saw them on if not their first tour, then their second, in a small club here in Connecticut - and when... I think it was Lifes Rich Pageant hit ("Fall On Me" was the single) though it might have been Document ("The One I Love") he was all like "they suck, they sold out, they blow..."    Whatevs.

Dave Matthews is as close to that as I come.  I LOVED the first album, played it to death ("Jimi Thing" is still my favorite DMB song, and the live version from Central Park with Warren Haynes is just sublime) but now?   With all the weekend hippies - including my ex-wife and her new hubby - that are corporate a-holes from Monday to Friday, but "can't wait for the next DMB show!" twice a year, I can't quite believe that that's what Dave envisioned when he first set out.   The only saving grace is that I can watch Carter Beauford play drums all day long (I actually have a set of his sticks right behind me in my office - Pro Mark Millenium II's).

For me, DMB never really recovered from the Lilywhite Sessions/Everyday/Busted Stuff era.  I remember going to see them in Indianapolis in June of 2000, and they played a lot of the Lilywhite Sessions stuff, like Grey Street, Bartender, JTR, Grace is Gone, The Sweet Up and Down, etc.  and my brother and I loved it.  It seemed like the natural extension of the direction they were going on Before These Crowded Streets, and it was great stuff.  Dark, but really, really strong.  And then, we found out an A&R guy came to the sessions, said, "I don't hear the Tripping Billies on this record." Dave panicked, and they scrapped the sessions so Dave could go work with Glen Ballard and dream up the boring-ass Everyday.  Busted Stuff was a nice consolation prize, but it was kinda like hearing the story six months later as opposed to being there when it happened. 

That said, I got to see some great DMB shows.  They are a phenomenal live band, and I could watch Carter play drums and chew bubblegum all damn day.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2017, 08:15:04 AM »
Since I didn't see it mentioned... am I the only one that thought that the thread title was referring to musicians that were proved right by history to have quit a band in the era they did?  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2017, 08:30:01 AM »
Chuckles was bad, really bad but I don't think it could go back and undue the great work they did prior.

For what it's worth there was a recent podcast with Mark that shed light on the chuckles album. It wasn't supposed to be a true dredg album instead it was originally going to be label a Dan the Automator album with dredg but the record company was against it. Also it was the first time that they recorded separately, they all sent in tracks separately and Dan put them together. Not that it makes the album any better but when Mark talked about getting together with the guys this year it gave me hope that if they make another record it has the potential to be great.

I agree that Chuckles doesn't completely tarnish the good stuff they put out, but after Chuckles I found myself not really wanting to go back to the old albums. I listened to the first 4 albums fairly recently (last year) for the first time since that time period and there's still great music there of course, just my overall feeling about Dredg cooled off hard after Chuckles.

And I mean, isn't it it kinda rare that an album kills off a band's career completely? I know they put out CWA on vinyl recently but I honestly have heard no Dredg news since after they toured for Chuckles, what, 5 years ago? Not saying Chuckles as an album burned their bridges but it doesn't feel like the band themselves are very eager to move forward from it.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2017, 09:13:27 AM »
Since I didn't see it mentioned... am I the only one that thought that the thread title was referring to musicians that were proved right by history to have quit a band in the era they did?  :D

In that case, Chris DeGarmo and /thread.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2017, 10:47:37 AM »
Chuckles didn't bother me, because it wasn't really dredg being themselves. It was dredg deciding to try something new, and going to an outside producer for help with it. But the different personalities in that band are all still interesting to me, so I'd be hard pressed to jump ship anytime soon. I know they all have creative ideas that haven't been realized yet.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2017, 12:34:46 PM »

In that case, Chris DeGarmo and /thread.

Bingo. Chris saw this -- :susantate: marrying his singer and coming aboard, and was like "I'm out!"

:rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2017, 02:47:20 PM »
Ozzy - Ozmosis was the end for me.  IMO, there's one good song - "Thunder Underground".  The rest is "bleh".  And, the weird effect on his voice totally does it in for me.  He sounds robotic or something.  I remember some people joking that Ozzy's vocals come from a digital catalog where it just gets pieced together and auto-tuned.  Haven't bought a thing since.

QR (Tate-era) - Q2K was the end for me.  Didn't really care for it.  Didn't buy another album until Todd came onboard.  So, I guess it only partially fulfills the requirements for this thread.

Black Crowes - loved the first 2 albums.  Never got Amorica or anything else until By Your Side (which I love).  Then, never got another album after that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2017, 05:27:01 PM »

For me, DMB never really recovered from the Lilywhite Sessions/Everyday/Busted Stuff era.  I remember going to see them in Indianapolis in June of 2000, and they played a lot of the Lilywhite Sessions stuff, like Grey Street, Bartender, JTR, Grace is Gone, The Sweet Up and Down, etc.  and my brother and I loved it.  It seemed like the natural extension of the direction they were going on Before These Crowded Streets, and it was great stuff.  Dark, but really, really strong.  And then, we found out an A&R guy came to the sessions, said, "I don't hear the Tripping Billies on this record." Dave panicked, and they scrapped the sessions so Dave could go work with Glen Ballard and dream up the boring-ass Everyday.  Busted Stuff was a nice consolation prize, but it was kinda like hearing the story six months later as opposed to being there when it happened.

That said, I got to see some great DMB shows.  They are a phenomenal live band, and I could watch Carter play drums and chew bubblegum all damn day.

I could not agree more.  I saw DMB in the summer of 2000 twice and they played a bunch of new stuff, all of which I loved. I couldn't wait to get studio versions of those songs....and then Everyday came out.  I didn't hate it, but it was very underwhelming.  And when they did release the good stuff on Busted Stuff, a lot of it just wasn't the same. Even the chorus of Grey Street had different lyrics, which made the hook far less catchy, and don't even get me started on how lame Big Eyed Fish was compared to the original.  I remember being so disappointed when Monkey Man and JTR weren't even recorded for Busted Stuff.  When I want to hear those songs, even though they are demos and not that polished, I still go for the Lillywhite Sessions.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2017, 07:53:10 PM »
Nah I thought so too. That's an interesting topic itself though.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2017, 08:18:13 PM »
Jump ship from Dave Matthews?  I never even boarded that ship. :xbones
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2017, 09:24:49 PM »
I jumped ship with DMB but I thought I'd give his most recent output a shot, if only to hear what Carter is playing